AVS Forum banner

10141 - 10160 of 28781 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Sometime in certain movies when the screen goes black in between scenes, the screen is not as inky black as the two horizontal bars. Is there something wrong with my settings or is it how those particular movies were mastered? I thought the whole thing about these Oled tvs was that when a scene cuts tv looks like it is off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
What movies do you see it in?I have not seen that.always black.have you tried and set luminance to 0 and test again to see if its black.

Sent fra min Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
FWIW, when Crutchfield set up my 55B6P, we updated to 04.30.65 before they left; maybe the reason I've not been bothered by motion issues? :confused: Or maybe I'm not sensitive? :) Still with Real Cinema on and TruMotion User 1/9... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2632617-lg-fixes-frame-skipping-hdr10-tracking-b6-oled-latest-firmware.html#post47953953
DeJudder at 1 will smooth away most of the judder. Software updates did fix some issues that were only on the B6. I've found that even DeJudder at 1 will create artifacts in 4K and 3D films, and 2D animation at 1080p.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
So the verdict is 444?

Yes, however, for anything over 30 FPS, you can't have both high frame rate and full chroma (4:4:4).

So, for Blu-Ray UHD, it doesn't matter what you choose, the PQ will be similar. However, if you have a Denon AVR or Marantz, however, there's a bug and 4:4:4 is the only way to go (not sure if all the Denon AVR have this bug).

If you have a PS4 Pro HDR choose 4:2:2 or automatic (some 30 fps game might use RGB in HDR mode, so automatic look safe) if you play on PC without HDR use RGB and if you play on PC with HDR, use 4:2:2 ....but don't plug it in a Denon receiver...

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's post like this that make me wonder if some of these sets are just defective... I mean the judder/stutter/jerkiness that I experience is so obvious that I don't know how someone couldn't see it.

But like I said before, with cable, for example, it doesn't affect ALL content. Things like football look perfect - no motion issues whatsoever. But it's very obvious on some movies and TV shows. Personally, I think that it affects 24p content transmitted via 60i/60p (I hope I said that right!?). :)

But I also notice it right away on 4k blurays as well, especially if TruMotion is disabled.

Or, maybe its like I said earlier and it all depends on what you are coming from (and are used to). I've never owned a plasma, so I can't comment on their motion handling, but my LCD sets don't show any of this judder/stutter/jerkiness during motion.

I guess it could also even depend on the cable system you use - or even the specific cable box you use - and/or it's settings.

But when I see posts like this that say that they can't find any issues with motion, even while specifically looking for it, something just doesn't add up. I'm not that critical of a viewer, so if I can easily notice it while not looking for it, it doesn't make sense that someone that *is* looking for it can't see it at all. :)

@africanlivedit - what are you're RealCinema/TruMotion settings set to? And what source(s) are you viewing?

Let's start comparing some stuff...

Thanks.
It's always possible that there are some defective sets, or settings that exasperate the issue. But I believe the vast majority of viewers accept judder without thought, or as a normal film effect.

Do you view Blu-ray films at 24p? That's the best test to find if you're sensitive to 3:2 pulldown judder or 24p judder. TruMotion Off and Real Cinema On will remove the 3:2 pulldown judder from 24p sources (watch a smooth pan to see that). Toggle Real Cinema off and on to see the difference.

The issue I and some others have with "normal" 24p judder is not just a minor stutter, but a "double image" effect, seen most often when a bright object moves across a dark background, it appears to have a "ghost".

Unfortunately I don't own "10 Cloverfield Lane". Do you have "The Jungle Book" or "Life of Pi"?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does anyone know what is going on at the edges of the display? It keeps doing weird stuff like softening the image and becoming lighter or wiggles slightly depending on the image. Is this the anti-vignette algorithm kicking in? If I put a fullscreen test image on that does not change it does not do it. Only on motion images that change and go from light to dark etc. It's very feint and variable most of the time but I picked up on it on some troublesome sources (UK Channel 4 adverts for some reason).

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Do you view Blu-ray films at 24p? That's the best test to find if you're sensitive to 3:2 pulldown judder or 24p judder. TruMotion Off and Real Cinema On will remove the 3:2 pulldown judder from 24p sources (watch a smooth pan to see that). Toggle Real Cinema off and on to see the difference.
I'm not sure how to answer this one. I just have my Samsung 4k bluray player connected directly to the TV - so I'm *guessing* that it's 24p? I have RealCinema On and have tried with TruMotion disabled and enabled. I definitely easily see "judder" with TruMotion disabled with my 4k bluerays though.

Unfortunately I don't own "10 Cloverfield Lane". Do you have "The Jungle Book" or "Life of Pi"?
No, I do not own any of those on 4k Bluray. The "10 Cloverfield Lane" scene that I keep referring to is just from my cable system (I recorded it to DVR to use that scene as a test scene).

I have about 6 4k Blurays so far - Sausage Party, Hitman Agent 47, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Out of the shadows), The Reverent, Deadpool and Now You See Me 2.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
Who is making color timing choices in Hollywood? Just watched Spectre and I don't understand all of the glowing picture quality reviews. It's atrocious! Yellow cast trash! Not to mention horrible blacks and round vignetting from the camera! Just awful looking! The 70s were 40 years ago.
There is still some remnants of the Teal/Orange color-grading that has been around for a while:

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Color-graders have even gone back to destroy classics. It's tragic.

- Rich

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's post like this that make me wonder if some of these sets are just defective... I mean the judder/stutter/jerkiness that I experience is so obvious that I don't know how someone couldn't see it.

But like I said before, with cable, for example, it doesn't affect ALL content. Things like football look perfect - no motion issues whatsoever. But it's very obvious on some movies and TV shows. Personally, I think that it affects 24p content transmitted via 60i/60p (I hope I said that right!?). :)

But I also notice it right away on 4k blurays as well, especially if TruMotion is disabled.

Or, maybe its like I said earlier and it all depends on what you are coming from (and are used to). I've never owned a plasma, so I can't comment on their motion handling, but my LCD sets don't show any of this judder/stutter/jerkiness during motion.

I guess it could also even depend on the cable system you use - or even the specific cable box you use - and/or it's settings.

But when I see posts like this that say that they can't find any issues with motion, even while specifically looking for it, something just doesn't add up. I'm not that critical of a viewer, so if I can easily notice it while not looking for it, it doesn't make sense that someone that *is* looking for it can't see it at all. :)

@africanlivedit - what are you're RealCinema/TruMotion settings set to? And what source(s) are you viewing?

Let's start comparing some stuff...

Thanks.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should start your own thread about motion effects? You do realize that all the "motion" that you are talking about is just an optical illusion, right? I think you are focusing so much on the issue that you can't help but notice it now. It would not surprise me at all if you turned on another set and noticed the exact same thing. Recall the "what color is that dress" meme that went around a while ago? you have people swearing up and down and wondering why others couldn't see it. It's all an optical illusion. I don't notice any issues at all on my B6. I don't mean to be Officer Krupky here about what belongs or doesn't in this owner's thread...But really, your motion issues belong in it's own discussion thread (in my opinion). It's completely subjective and not at all peculiar to this set in particular.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should start your own thread about motion effects? You do realize that all the "motion" that you are talking about is just an optical illusion, right? I think you are focusing so much on the issue that you can't help but notice it now. Recall the "what color is that dress" meme that went around a while ago? you have people swearing up and down and wondering why others couldn't see it. It's all an optical illusion. I don't notice any issues at all on my B6. I don't mean to be Officer Krupky here about what belongs or doesn't in this owner's thread...But really, your motion issues belong in it's own discussion thread (in my opinion). It's completely subjective and not at all peculiar to this set in particular.
See this is where I completely disagree. Using the same sources on other TV's in my house do NOT exhibit these issues, so the issue is specific to this set. Again, it's so obvious. Honestly, it's not such a big deal to me (I'm exchanging the set for something else because of it), but others have also brought it up, so I'm just supplying whatever information and experiences that I can in order to help help.

This topic is no different than all of the chroma discussions, calibrating settings discussions, etc. Again, that's what this thread is for. :) If we all started separate threads for everything then there would be no need for this thread. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does anyone know what is going on at the edges of the display? It keeps doing weird stuff like softening the image and becoming lighter or wiggles slightly depending on the image. Is this the anti-vignette algorithm kicking in? If I put a fullscreen test image on that does not change it does not do it. Only on motion images that change and go from light to dark etc. It's very feint and variable most of the time but I picked up on it on some troublesome sources (UK Channel 4 adverts for some reason).
Do you have "Just Scan" option enabled under your screen resolution settings? That will sometimes display unintended artifacts along the edges, depending on the content. It'll often show up in legacy content.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There is still some remnants of the Teal/Orange color-grading that has been around for a while:

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Color-graders have even gone back to destroy classics. It's tragic.

- Rich
Yeah the Teal and Orange BS needs to stop! Spectre introduceD what appears to be a yellow duotone pallete. I wish we could just go back to seeing what the colors really look like for the most part. I get it for certain movies. It's just gone way too far.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you have "Just Scan" option enabled under your screen resolution settings? That will sometimes display unintended artifacts along the edges, depending on the content. It'll often show up in legacy content.
High DeJudder settings can also create artifacts at the edges of the display during pans.

·
Registered
300 Posts
See this is where I completely disagree. Using the same sources on other TV's in my house do NOT exhibit these issues, so the issue is specific to this set. Again, it's so obvious. Honestly, it's not such a big deal to me (I'm exchanging the set for something else because of it), but others have also brought it up, so I'm just supplying whatever information and experiences that I can in order to help help.

This topic is no different than all of the chroma discussions, calibrating settings discussions, etc. Again, that's what this thread is for. :) If we all started separate threads for everything then there would be no need for this thread. :)

I'm just no longer sure what you are after. Your discussion on this issue goes back a long long time. There are no silver bullet settings that will resolve this issue for you. Or others that you are supposedly trying to help. Return your set and get another. Really, that seems like it should be enough for this thread by now. I guess that's why I suggest your own thread. I know, I can just not read, but really... Sorry, I don't mean to get personal. I feel the same way about all the "chroma" and "calibration" rabbit holes as well. But to each his own. Peace.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer this one. I just have my Samsung 4k bluray player connected directly to the TV - so I'm *guessing* that it's 24p? I have RealCinema On and have tried with TruMotion disabled and enabled. I definitely easily see "judder" with TruMotion disabled with my 4k bluerays though.

No, I do not own any of those on 4k Bluray. The "10 Cloverfield Lane" scene that I keep referring to is just from my cable system (I recorded it to DVR to use that scene as a test scene).

I have about 6 4k Blurays so far - Sausage Party, Hitman Agent 47, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Out of the shadows), The Reverent, Deadpool and Now You See Me 2.
Your Blu-ray player should have a setting for 24p output. If "Real Cinema" is not grayed out, it's likely 24p.

I wasn't referring to 4K Blu-ray, should be visible with any Blu-ray. If you're only seeing problems with 4K, that may be a processor issue. I have Deadpool and "The Revenant" on regular Blu-ray, though I haven't watched them yet.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Recall the "what color is that dress" meme that went around a while ago? you have people swearing up and down and wondering why others couldn't see it.
Holy,

I just saw the dress.

How can a human being able to live in this world normally and see it as white-gold? They must see the world quite differently.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm just no longer sure what you are after. Your discussion on this issue goes back a long long time. There are no silver bullet settings that will resolve this issue for you. Or others that you are supposedly trying to help. Return your set and get another. Really, that seems like it should be enough for this thread by now. I guess that's why I suggest your own thread. I know, I can just not read, but really... Sorry, I don't mean to get personal. I feel the same way about all the "chroma" and "calibration" rabbit holes as well. But to each his own. Peace.
Like I said, I've just been replying to others that mention motion issues - this isn't all about me. I did quit posting about it, but others keep bringing it back up because it bothers them as well - and they are looking for solutions. And who knows - maybe we can even find some combination of settings or some other reason why it's happening - and possibly eliminate it. Obviously, you don't have the issue, so you couldn't care less, but it's important for people that do have the issue.

So what should we discuss in this thread? Just repeated "wow - this is the best picture I've ever seen" posts? Although, we could make a dedicated "best picture ever seen" thread too, right? :) My point is that this issue is important to those that have the issue and that's why people are posting about it - in the hopes of eliminating it or reducing it as much as possible by working with other than have the issue. Exactly what a thread like this is for.
Your Blu-ray player should have a setting for 24p output. If "Real Cinema" is not grayed out, it's likely 24p.

I wasn't referring to 4K Blu-ray, should be visible with any Blu-ray. If you're only seeing problems with 4K, that may be a processor issue. I have Deadpool and "The Revenant" on regular Blu-ray, though I haven't watched them yet.
Unfortunately, I don't have any blurays. I stopped using physical media for years and streamed everything from a NAS server and online sources, so I quit buying DVDs and skipped Blurays alltogether. When I got a 4k TV, I figured that it was about time I started buying physical media again for the great picture quality and HDR support... I'm going to see if I can isolate the one clip from "10 Cloverfield Lane" so that others can play it and see if they see the same issue. Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sometime in certain movies when the screen goes black in between scenes, the screen is not as inky black as the two horizontal bars. Is there something wrong with my settings or is it how those particular movies were mastered? I thought the whole thing about these Oled tvs was that when a scene cuts tv looks like it is off

I would think that is a factor of the source content.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
My point is that this issue is important to those that have the issue and that's why people are posting about it - in the hopes of eliminating it or reducing it as much as possible by working with other than have the issue.
Again. Discussed and answered. There are no magic settings for you. How many times must the same thing be said? I apologize to everyone else for trying to gracefully end this and causing more rabbit hole. I'll stop now.

10141 - 10160 of 28781 Posts