AVS Forum banner

17401 - 17420 of 28761 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
If blooming does not annoy you but lack of brightness does, why are you not buying let say the new Sony X930E with it's 1500 nits?

I'm not sure I'm following you on this one.

Most people here, like me, want to throw up when we see blooming and light bleed, this is one of the reason we choose OLED (plus the impressive perceived contrast). For me, there's nothing that kill the immersion more than blooming. Having smaller specular highlight does not distract me however.

Anyway why do you plan on buying the C6? 3D?
Don't get me wrong I love the infinite contrast, but in terms of HDR I prefer being able to display brighter highlights. Obviously if both were possible that would be better, but if I have to choose I go for brighter highlights / more dynamic range.

But yeah the main reason I'm getting a C6 is for 3D. The 3D on the 65" 930d is completely broken, and on my plasma (which has similar contrast to OLED in 2D), the 3D has some problems, such as very highly raised blacks, a loss of vertical resolution, and incorrect frame pacing. The C6 may be my last opportunity to upgrade my 3D capabilities, and it also allows me to watch 4K/HDR in my room for some of the content I may be uncomfortable watching in front of my family, such as Deadpool or some Netflix/Amazon shows.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
See, you are basing your opinions completely off of conjecture and theory of what you think the OLEDs behavior is... I have all the source materials you have mentioned and none of them trigger noticeable ABL to me. When you get the set, please do your comparisons and post back your personal findings. I'm genuinely curious to see which one you prefer after you get both in your own viewing environment.
Yep, will do. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
HDR on YouTube would stop you? I rarely watch YouTube except to show people some of my 4K uploads. But beyond that, I'd never in a million years make that a determining factor for a display. Now if you told me it couldn't display YouTube in 4K, maybe I'd think about it for a minute, but HDR? Nah, no way.

That would not stop me, the things i mainly watch on youtube are not even 4k ... BUT what if other streaming providers find VP9.2 to be superior (or just cheaper since it's free) and start streaming in that instead of HEVC? What if we lose in 1-2 years HDR on netflix, hulu, amazon? Yes, i know, buy a chromecast ultra is always the solution ... but that kinda defeats te purpose of having a smart tv, and paying for it ...

And one question: WTF is gamut color exactly for this TV? Should i keep it on wide or on normal? And why? lol.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
That would not stop me, the things i mainly watch on youtube are not even 4k ... BUT what if other streaming providers find VP9.2 to be superior (or just cheaper since it's free) and start streaming in that instead of HEVC? What if we lose in 1-2 years HDR on netflix, hulu, amazon? Yes, i know, buy a chromecast ultra is always the solution ... but that kinda defeats te purpose of having a smart tv, and paying for it ...

And one question: WTF is gamut color exactly for this TV? Should i keep it on wide or on normal? And why? lol.

just leave it on normal it will switch as needed for rec 2020 content .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
HDR on YouTube would stop you? I rarely watch YouTube except to show people some of my 4K uploads. But beyond that, I'd never in a million years make that a determining factor for a display. Now if you told me it couldn't display YouTube in 4K, maybe I'd think about it for a minute, but HDR? Nah, no way.
When my G6 was presumed "outdated" by the LG 7 series features, I bought a 7 only to have the TV with the most HDR capabilities out the box, even with the YouTube app. Everything else requires a ChromeCast ultra for YouTube HDR.

For any serious content guy, in 2017, having at least 1 all-HDR capable display is important.. from all sources.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Confusing, isn't it???? It's been said by numerous calibrators and even LG that "normal" is the correct setting. "Normal" in fact should be considered "auto," as it automatically chooses the right color gamut based off the source.

The only outlier is Dolby Vision where LG locked the color gamut to "wide." Not sure why they did that but when I compared a couple DV movies to the HDR10 counterparts, it didn't look over saturated, like the setting "Wide" would normally be like.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Confusing, isn't it???? It's been said by numerous calibrators and even LG that "normal" is the correct setting. "Normal" in fact should be considered "auto," as it automatically chooses the right color gamut based off the source.

The only outlier is Dolby Vision where LG locked the color gamut to "wide." Not sure why they did that but when I compared a couple DV movies to the HDR10 counterparts, it didn't look over saturated, like the setting "Wide" would normally be like.
So if normal is "auto" i should just leave it on Normal(Auto).

And another question: when is the next HDMI standard supposedly to be available?

And what would be the drawbacks of having the TV connected to a PC on [email protected]@RGBfull/12Bits? I mean: are the Hz even relevant for OLED?

Or even better: full RGB or 4:2:2 12bpc limited? (Which activates HDR on my PC)

I feel that it's not such a good idea to have a TV as a PC display, lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
'XXX: Return of Xander Cage' is available on Vudu, in Dolby Vision.

Not a fan of these films, but the HDR quality is absolutely reference worthy. And, in fact, further reiterates how much better Dolby Vision is compared to HDR10.

Similar to my experiences with 'Jason Bourne' and 'Pacific Rim', the colors are much deeper, the contrast is starker, and there's intricate details you can make out in highlights in even the darkest scenes that either 1.) aren't as noticeable on the HDR10 UHD version--or 2.) just look a lot softer in comparison.

Films like this and the aforementioned Jason Bourne and Pacific Rim are the exact reason why HDR10 isn't--and never will be--as good as Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Come on. how come nobody show some love to Resident Evil 7
It might not get as bright and colorful as horizon... but damn, it is really amazing on Oled
It is perfect for some horror... because it is really dark... and perfect for an Oled because you get deep blacks, the atmosphere is just crazy amazing
It might be one of the best game to play on an Oled, because unlike LCDs the picture is not washed out, so you really feel the horror, it is a lot more immersive and scary
when you are opening a door, then suddenly a monster jump on you from the dark or the window... this is just insane
I highly recommend playing this game, especially if you like playing in the dark... but if you have heart problems, stay away!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all! New C6 owner here...and slightly worried. :D

Long story short, was messing with picture settings and noticed multiple blu-rays having problems with skin tones and reds. Thought I had messed things up, so switched to a different Picture Mode to test, artifacts went away, and then back to the mode that I was messing with...and they were still gone.

Switched to another blu-ray to see if the problem I saw there was still occurring and it wasn't.

Question is: should I be worried that there's something up with my panel? Has anyone had an issue like this before?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but as it's the nicest TV I've ever had (let alone the most I've spent on something like this) just wanting to be sure everything's fine, so any advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,683 Posts

Long story short, was messing with picture settings and noticed multiple blu-rays having problems with skin tones and reds. Thought I had messed things up, so switched to a different Picture Mode to test, artifacts went away, and then back to the mode that I was messing with...and they were still gone.

Switched to another blu-ray to see if the problem I saw there was still occurring and it wasn't.

Question is: should I be worried that there's something up with my panel? Has anyone had an issue like this before?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but as it's the nicest TV I've ever had (let alone the most I've spent on something like this) just wanting to be sure everything's fine, so any advice is much appreciated!

what settings did you change ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Those artifacts, to me, look like the signal was encoded, transmitted, or decoded at too low of a bit depth or something. Not really sure what would cause such a thing though.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Looks like you changed some of the CMS settings. Do a reset and start over. Actually, after doing the reset, turn the display off. Unplug the power cable. Using the remote try to turn the TV back on holding the power button in for around 20 seconds. Notice that the red led on the front of the set flashes some and eventually you'll have discharged the residual power. Then plug the TV back in and power it on. That should get you back to where you started. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts

The basic rule with smart TV is this: They never stay smart for long.

Don't buy a TV for it's smart feature cause any TV will end up stupid after 2 years.

Whatever you buy, you'll need another device to stay up to date with apps

·
Registered
213 Posts
And a color temp closer to Warm 1 rather than Warm 2.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I also noticed that HDR Standard has the slightest tint of yellow compared to HDR bright with dynamic contrast off which seems to have a cooler temp. I guess that would be the difference in the color temps.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
So for Hdr content we wouldn't want it on wide, as it is for Dolby Vision? I guess when I see movies listed as having "hdr with wide color gamut" you'd want to have it on wide to take advantage of that...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Don't try to find logic in LG color value.

There is none.

Normal is the good value for HDR and for Dolby it's just deactivated , but it's the same Bt2020 color value (it's grayish with wide but it doesn't mean ****).

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
So for Hdr content we wouldn't want it on wide, as it is for Dolby Vision? I guess when I see movies listed as having "hdr with wide color gamut" you'd want to have it on wide to take advantage of that...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Here ya go

Color Gamut Normal in HDR is WCG. LG did a poor job naming the settings, and Normal is the most accurate setting for proper calibration. This comes from LG and SpectraCal that worked together to set-up the work flow.

Calibrator Chad B explains it better:

[quote name="Chad B" post=46937993]Normal is most accurate. Extended is very close and ok to use if you like things balanced in the more saturated direction.
As soon as it gets an HDR signal it goes to P3 in a BT2020 container.
Wide and to a lesser extent Extended just over saturate lower saturation levels; they do not extend the gamut out any farther to P3 or BT2020.
[/QUOTE]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

17401 - 17420 of 28761 Posts