AVS Forum banner

19121 - 19140 of 28896 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 55" Sony X900E that I've just totally fallen in love with. Coming from an older Samsung that had a good amount of light bleed and clouding, I'm really enjoying the Sony's Deep Blacks, Really high brightness/Nits, and most of all the amazing colors it seems to produce!

However, I cannot help but think that for 50% more, I could obtain the LG B6 OLED...which has perfect black levels and also offers Dolby Vision....

Anyone think that it's worth it to pay the extra money for OLED? Or are the differences between these two sets not that big?
Oled is a must..!
I have never been so crazy about a TV, for me it is just perfection.
I will never go back to LCD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, i saw one of review on youtube abouy c7 2017 oled model has active hdr and dolby vision as well dolby atmos. So comparing to our 2016 model oled like c6 and b6. Do we have that ? I notice i get a notification HDR whenever i on movie with dolby vision on nextflix or bluray. Does that mean the same with 2017 version ? Im considering upgrades to 2017 but wondering if it worth it. Also they have atmos build in speaker ? What 2017 has that 2016 doesnt ? I do have atmos surround system so atmos build in is not important

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Don't think the 2016s have active hdr, not even sure what that is really, and the atoms is not built into the 2016s. That being said I could have purchased either the c6 or c7 but decided t got with c6 as I didn't see enough new features on c7 , and did not wanna lose 3D.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Damn, I am watching Alien 1979 again.. And what the.. How come for a movie that is almost 40 years old, it looks SOOO good? Especially on my oled tv, and its just bluray not 4k..
Even some of the new movies dont look so good.. What am I missing? Almost no grain in the movie, a very nice picture..
Because back then they weren't so obsessed with adding film grain and color filtering in post-processing as they have been in the last 20 years. I think that They are obsessed with it now. They call it creative expression or artistic creativity. If you will notice many shows and movies back then looked cleaner and the colors looked more realistic.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 55" Sony X900E that I've just totally fallen in love with. Coming from an older Samsung that had a good amount of light bleed and clouding, I'm really enjoying the Sony's Deep Blacks, Really high brightness/Nits, and most of all the amazing colors it seems to produce!

However, I cannot help but think that for 50% more, I could obtain the LG B6 OLED...which has perfect black levels and also offers Dolby Vision....

Anyone think that it's worth it to pay the extra money for OLED? Or are the differences between these two sets not that big?
No,

Especially if you fell in love with the Sony.

Just keep it

·
Registered
710 Posts
No,

Especially if you fell in love with the Sony.

Just keep it
I was thinking along the same lines. If you (Smiller4128) have "totally fallen in love with it"... why spend more money? Especially if it cost 50% more! I had a beautiful Panny I was in love with. Would I have spent the money to buy an OLED just because it the latest and greatest. No way! I only got the OLED because my Panny died. Granted an OLED TV delivers a beautiful picture with no competition, but unless you had the two sets side by side, the average consumer (i.e., your friends, family members etc) watching a movie at your house would think the picture on your new Sony is awesome.

On the flip side... if you are in the upper income bracket and the additional 50% is not much more than pocket change to you, or you've recently won the lottery... then yes, by all means... get the OLED! However, if you're a working stiff who works hard for your money and the 50% represents many additional hours of work, then put the 50% additional price difference in your 401K!

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines. If you (Smiller4128) have "totally fallen in love with it"... why spend more money? Especially if it cost 50% more! I had a beautiful Panny I was in love with. Would I have spent the money to buy an OLED just because it the latest and greatest. No way! I only got the OLED because my Panny died. Granted an OLED TV delivers a beautiful picture with no competition, but unless you had the two sets side by side, the average consumer (i.e., your friends, family members etc) watching a movie at your house would think the picture on your new Sony is awesome.

On the flip side... if you are in the upper income bracket and the additional 50% is not much more than pocket change to you, or you've rencently won the lottery... then yes, by all means... get the OLED! However, if you're a working stiff who works hard for your money and the 50% represents many additional hours of work, then put the 50% additional price difference in your 401K!
Yup.

In june last year, I bought a 1.6k$ Sony X850D. I WAS NOT IN LOVE.

So of course, it make sense to sell it and buy an oled for an higher price.

But if the guy LOVES his tv.....Why not keep it, unless, like you said, he's a baller.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Because back then they weren't so obsessed with adding film grain and color filtering in post-processing as they have been in the last 20 years. I think that They are obsessed with it now. They call it creative expression or artistic creativity. If you will notice many shows and movies back then looked cleaner and the colors looked more realistic.
1 step forward 2 steps back.. Maybe grain was looking good in past TVs.
But now with 4k TVs and superior TVs like Oled, we don't need to see that grain, I prefer to see all details without artifacts.
For me, a clean picture is like perfection, a spotless room, a nice looking and clean girl, if you get what I mean.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
1 step forward 2 steps back.. Maybe grain was looking good in past TVs.
But now with 4k TVs and superior TVs like Oled, we don't need to see that grain, I prefer to see all details without artifacts.
For me, a clean picture is like perfection, a spotless room, a nice looking and clean girl, if you get what I mean.
Grain and noise is part of the detail though. Removing grain removes detail. Older TVs you saw less of it because they had less detail. The higher resolution displays get, the more grain and noise you're naturally going to see.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Grain and noise is part of the detail though. Removing grain removes detail. Older TVs you saw less of it because they had less detail. The higher resolution displays get, the more grain and noise you're naturally going to see.

The problem is that artificial grain some director add in a pure grainless feed.

Like those...Marvel shows.....

·
Registered
5,995 Posts

I think the discussion was specifically in regards to content that purposely adds grain during mastering for any number of "artistic" reasons.

Agreed though that if the original content has grain removing it can be more detrimental to picture quality then leaving it. Look no further then one of the Blu-ray versions of Predator in what, 2009? The one were they used DNR about 1000x too much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
The problem is that artificial grain some director add in a pure grainless feed.

Like those...Marvel shows.....
There's no such thing as a pure grainless feed, and I don't think there's proof that grain was added into those shows instead of just naturally there on the cameras they shot with.

HDR grading is naturally going to make grain a lot more noticeable.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am doing a nice combo tonight, Alien 1979 bluray, and now Promotheus 3D
And honestly I really love the 3D again, making me often go like wow!
I really hope they revive 3D.. People need to give it a second shot
You just can't deny it really give some depth to the picture and it is really incredible

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
There's no such thing as a pure grainless feed, and I don't think there's proof that grain was added into those shows instead of just naturally there on the cameras they shot with.

HDR grading is naturally going to make grain a lot more noticeable.

LOL

It was shot with a Red Epic Dragon at 6k.

No Red Epic have this kind of noise in Daylight scene or dark scene.

This is what a Red Epic feed look like

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Quebecker you are right it should look pristine with that rig, but also keep in mind that features shot with multiple cameras will have grain management applied where they attempt to keep some consistency or avoid jarring differences from frame to frame. So the 'weakest' link in the chain so to speak can have an impact on the end product's look. But I can see them doing it for 'artsy' reasons on a comic movie even though I think its uncalled for on them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
For me, Luke cage and Daredevil is one of my favorite tv shows.. But I hate the grain.
Girl boss or whatever.. Picture is really clean, even though the tv show is garbage, at least for me
But I wont lie, sometines I watch the TV show just cause its DV and the picture is perfect

The grain in those marvel tv shows kind of ruin DV, and that's a shame.

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK, I am confused, the LG website is showing the latest firmware update for the LG B6 as today, i.e. 6/15/2017 and its 4.31.20........but that version has been out a while right?

Can someone please tell me I am not going crazy???

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
LOL

It was shot with a Red Epic Dragon at 6k.

No Red Epic have this kind of noise in Daylight scene or dark scene.

This is what a Red Epic feed look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA4SmXqsx7I
There haven't been a lot of really bright daylight scenes like that in Marvel's shows. Also, at 4K on that video I see plenty of noise. And once again, grading for HDR makes any noise MUCH more noticeable.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
OK, I am confused, the LG website is showing the latest firmware update for the LG B6 as today, i.e. 6/15/2017 and its 4.31.20........but that version has been out a while right?

Can someone please tell me I am not going crazy???

Right. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the 6/15/2017-dated update just now and tried to install it but the TV did nothing, presumably because I was already running version 4.31.20. So apparently there's nothing new in this firmware file. No idea why they changed the date on it to today, though.

19121 - 19140 of 28896 Posts