AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 2K participants last post by  d3193 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan on getting a 65C6P and since we already have owners of the 55C6P I figured an owners thread is due.

Especially curios about panel uniformity, near black issues, content playback for UHD HDR Bluray, 3D, etc.

#28,801 ·
I'm not sure if the Android TV app actually supports HDR either

Yeah go into the TV options menu (the gear icon on the remote, hold it down or click once and press all settings in the corner) then there will be a channels menu with Channel Tuning as an option
Thanks. This is something I did not know about. I tried it while watching a movie on Amazon Prime, and lots of info came up, but I could not see the frame rate anywhere. C6 owner.

#28,802 ·
Thanks. This is something I did not know about. I tried it while watching a movie on Amazon Prime, and lots of info came up, but I could not see the frame rate anywhere.
It should show resolution and refresh rate in the bottom right corner

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

#28,804 ·
I have a question regarding the YouTube app on this TV. My apologies if it has been addressed before but there are too many posts to search through.

Does playing a HDR video from YT trigger the HDR flag? I have never seen it once even though i have watched several HDR vids in YT. How do I know if it is actually playing in HDR and not SDR?

#28,805 ·
I have a question regarding the YouTube app on this TV. My apologies if it has been addressed before but there are too many posts to search through.

Does playing a HDR video from YT trigger the HDR flag? I have never seen it once even though i have watched several HDR vids in YT. How do I know if it is actually playing in HDR and not SDR?
I don't use the built in YT app, but whenever the TV detects an HDR signal, it should flash "HDR" in the upper-right corner for a few seconds. HDR content should be noticeably brighter. You can also go to Picture Mode settings and see if it's in an "HDR" mode. Some videos on YT are labeled HDR but are not actually HDR.

#28,806 ·

Yes it does, unfortunately not many videos are actually hdr

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#28,807 ·
I am seeing that info when I am watching cable (Spectrum), but it is blank for Netflix and Amazon Prime.
The info only describes HDMI sources.

The built in YouTube app doesn't support HDR. I have to use a Chromecast Ultra or an app on my Blu-ray player to use HDR in YouTube.
Yes it does, unfortunately not many videos are actually hdr

You appear to be using a different model tv based on that HDR flag there.

#28,808 ·
The info only describes HDMI sources.The built in YouTube app doesn't support HDR. I have to use a Chromecast Ultra or an app on my Blu-ray player to use HDR in YouTube. You appear to be using a different model tv based on that HDR flag there.

My apologies, i thought i was still in the c9 thread

#28,811 ·
HDR is restored on the built in Amazon app.
Awesome, just in time too as I was going to finish the new season of Hanna tonight.

#28,812 ·
Can the B6 playback Dolby Vision @ 4K @ 60 Hz through HDMI? I seem to be having an issue with Fire TV stick 4K. Whenever I set the resolution to Auto (up to 4K) it defaults to 1080p even when playing back 4K HDR content. Some apps will still play the HDR. Others, like Movies Anywhere say that it's not a 4K supported device and no HDR. Apple TV app will play back Dolby Vision but only when FTV's resolution is set to Auto (defaults to 1080p). If I force the FTV's resolution to 2160p 60 Hz, HDR works across all apps, but Apple TV app plays back in HDR, not DV. How do I get the B6 to playback DV @ 4K resolution?

#28,813 ·
Can the B6 playback Dolby Vision @ 4K @ 60 Hz through HDMI? I seem to be having an issue with Fire TV stick 4K. Whenever I set the resolution to Auto (up to 4K) it defaults to 1080p even when playing back 4K HDR content. Some apps will still play the HDR. Others, like Movies Anywhere say that it's not a 4K supported device and no HDR. Apple TV app will play back Dolby Vision but only when FTV's resolution is set to Auto (defaults to 1080p). If I force the FTV's resolution to 2160p 60 Hz, HDR works across all apps, but Apple TV app plays back in HDR, not DV. How do I get the B6 to playback DV @ 4K resolution?
30hz maximum for DV content on this series

Can you do the auto frame rate to make it 24hz? You wouldn't want to send 60hz anyway

#28,814 ·
30hz maximum for DV content on this series

Can you do the auto frame rate to make it 24hz? You wouldn't want to send 60hz anyway

That would explain the problem with DV. But I also have a problem in which the Fire TV stick 4K, when resolution is set to Auto (up to 4K), the TV only ever shows 1080p, even when playing 4K content, and apps like Movies Anywhere say that it's not a 4K supported device. There's one notable exception. If the 4K UHD content is from Amazon Prime, it'll switch from 1080p (default in Fire TV menu) to 4K resolution immediately when it starts to play.

I can't force 24 Hz. Fire TV has an option to match original frame rate of the content, but only if the app supports it. MA and Apple TV apps either don't support it or the movies I'm watching there are encoded at 60 Hz.

#28,815 ·
Ok, so I checked the YouTube app on my C6 and then on my Fire Stick 4K and the flag did not pop on the LG app but did pop on the FireStick one. So guess that clears it up for me. Thanks for all the help. Weird that the app on the C6 doesnt work on this TV but does for later models. Yet Netlix and Amazon work fine.

To be honest, the C6 still looks very good, as the HDR version in the FireStick didnt look that much better. Not to the point of being blown away. Could have just been the videos I watched though. Mostly those nature ones.

#28,816 ·
Ok, so I checked the YouTube app on my C6 and then on my Fire Stick 4K and the flag did not pop on the LG app but did pop on the FireStick one. So guess that clears it up for me. Thanks for all the help. Weird that the app on the C6 doesnt work on this TV but does for later models. Yet Netlix and Amazon work fine.

To be honest, the C6 still looks very good, as the HDR version in the FireStick didnt look that much better. Not to the point of being blown away. Could have just been the videos I watched though. Mostly those nature ones.
It's down to video codec support. The VP9 profile for HDR YouTube isn't supported by the hardware in this TV, so the signal must be sent externally as HDR10 over HDMI instead.

Reactions: unclejosh
#28,818 ·
It appears there is a new FW. 5.30.95 My TV updated to it today. What the improvements are I am not sure.
I just came on to search if anyone had any experience with the new FW before I download it. It’s been notifying me for a lover a week now about it but same, heard nothing about what it’s for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28,819 ·

LG USA website doesn’t even list any FW updates for me. Live in Canada but LG . CA won’t show C6P FW as the DET wasn’t sold here. Only B, E6 were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28,820 ·
LG USA website doesn’t even list any FW updates for me.
I don't know how exactly you searched, but the site is actually quite easy to find:

CA won’t show C6P FW as the DET wasn’t sold here. Only B, E6 were.
Since the C and E models have the same firmware, this does not really matter. You can simply download the firmware from the support page of the E6: