AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2218 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to collect all the motion settings people are using for the 2016 LG OLED into one thread.

As you can imagine, we need to keep this organized so that we can eventually find a consistant set of motion settings that work for most people.

Please include

Model TV (remember...this must be a 2016 LG OLED..B,C,E,G)
Signal source (TIVO, Satellite box, BD players, etc.)and the known output resolution (if you're not sure, place cursor at upper left corner of screen and double click if you're using HDMI)
Real Cinema (on/off)
TruMotion (off/smooth/clear/user)
and if you use TruMotion, the De-Judder and De-Blur settings.

If you have different settings for different devices, please include all the motion settings so if there are any differences, we'll be able to pick up on it.

Many thanks to all who post.

Useful links relating to motion testing and settings. There are others which will be added later.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-40.html#post53837177

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
E6. DirecTV, Real Cinema On, Tru Motion off. Blu ray movies, RC on, TruMotion set to USER. Dejudder 0, DeBlur 10. TV apps such as Netflix, Amazon, etc, RC On. TM off.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
C6 Time Warner Cable Real Cinema on Deblur 9 Dejudder 2 for everything . Native resolution on my cable box.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
B6

4K 60P signal and Netflix internal app 24P signal.

TruMotion is always greyed out on my tv, so I think it mean off.

Deblur 8 Dejudder 3 for everything.

Set and forget motion, I just don't care about motion anymore.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
65" E6.

Antenna(roof mounted), Streaming(netflix, hulu, etc).
Real Cinema - ON
TruMotion - OFF

Samsung UBD8500K used for blu-ray, UHD blu-ray & DVD(24fps sources)
Real Cinema - ON
TruMotion - User Mode: DeJudder 2, DeBlur = 8.

The above works great for me. Very pleased with these.

Reactions: AnalogHD

·
Registered
300 Posts
B6
Cox Cable = 1080i
Samsung k8500 = auto (upscales everything to 4k)
I mostly use the TV apps for streaming except for HBO, for which I use the K8500.

TruMotion = Off for everything (it's more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion)
Real Cinema = ON (always)

Lately, nearly all of my viewing has been via streaming sources. Seriously considering ditching Cable altogether.

No motion issues for me at all. Subjective, I know...But to me it looks cinema-like.

·
Registered
518 Posts
B6
UK PAL 50i
EVERYTHING OFF (I still get glitches though)
24P sources RC on and Deblur at 10. Dejudder 2 to taste (I turn it off for most movies/shows).

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
65B6 - All sources

Real Cinema: ON
TruMotion: User Mode - DeJudder: 2, DeBlur: 5

Running Spears & Munsil V2 motion patterns it is clear DeJudder operates on 24P sources and DeBlur on others.
The smoothing change is obvious with DeJudder. However, this patter shows very little difference between DeBlur settings.

- Rich

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
DeBlur ruins live sports, and DeJudder causes motion artifacts when set higher than 0 for blu ray. Quickest way to see the issues with deblur is to watch baseball and watch the ball being thrown across the infield. Baseball looks like it has a vapor trail with it set higher than 0. Same with golf. You can also see it at times in football when the ball is thrown, but harder to see since the ball is a darker color.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DeBlur ruins live sports, and DeJudder causes motion artifacts when set higher than 0 for blu ray. Quickest way to see the issues with deblur is to watch baseball and watch the ball being thrown across the infield. Baseball looks like it has a vapor trail with it set higher than 0. Same with golf. You can also see it at times in football when the ball is thrown, but harder to see since the ball is a darker color.
This might be resolution specific. Is this on your Direct TV and is it outputting native or scaling?

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Dont see those artifacts on my C6. Speaking in absolutes about something that is subjective is tough imo

·
Registered
421 Posts
65e6 - All sources

24p film content:Real Cinema: ON, true motion off. No judder seen beyond that redirected for 24p
24p film content over 50i/60i:Real Cinema: ON, true motion off. Judder seen.
1080i Video content : Real cinema :Off, true motion enabled Use mode : DeJudder: 2, DeBlur: 0 for video. Some judder on panning shots but not foreground content.
Sport content (still tuning): Real cinema :Off, true motion enabled Use mode : DeJudder: tbd, DeBlur: TBD;judder
24p film content over 50/60p:Real Cinema: ON, true motion off. No Judder seen beyond that expected for 24p

65B6 - All sources

Real Cinema: ON
TruMotion: User Mode - DeJudder: 2, DeBlur: 5

Running Spears & Munsil V2 motion patterns it is clear DeJudder operates on 24P sources and DeBlur on others.
The smoothing change is obvious with DeJudder. However, this patter shows very little difference between DeBlur settings.

- Rich

Hi Rich

Did you find the spears disc showed what is best for, 24p material in 50/60 Hz? E.g. streaming from apps. Curious why you enable both rather than using inputs mode to switch which maybe quicker than changing the settings. Or did your tests show the TV literally better for deblur setting for video content and dejudder for 24fps content?

I have seen only difference between input modes: game console, home theatre, and blu ray player are that console disables real cinema but enables true motion. Blu-ray defaults real cinema to on. Home theatre shows all settings.
There's less clicks to change the input type on a connection than to change both modes.

Mind you, maybe don't follow me because on Amazon, when I see pans it literally looks brick edges and vertical lines are two frames forward one frame back as the scene progress.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
The artifacts may be subtle, but they are there. 3D Blu-ray will especially draw them out with dejudder at anything higher than 0.
I must be blind dont see them.

·
Banned
711 Posts
I never us true motion.

Leave Real Cinema ON and your good.

Coming from a VT65 plasma motion is very good on B6 don't need true motion ON.

LG EG9100 had horrible motion worst OLED tv on the motion I ever have had.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
65e6 - All sources

Real Cinema: ON for film. Off for video
TruMotion: disabled for film. User Mode - DeJudder: 2, DeBlur: 0 for video.

Hi Rich

Did you find the spears disc showed what is best for, 24p material in 50/60 Hz? E.g. streaming from apps. Curious why you enable both rather than using inputs mode to switch which maybe quicker than changing the settings. Or did your tests show the TV literally better for deblur setting for video content and dejudder for 24fps content?

I have seen only difference between input modes: game console, home theatre, and blu ray player are that console disables real cinema but enables true motion. Blu-ray defaults real cinema to on. Home theatre shows all settings.
There's less clicks to change the input type on a connection than to change both modes.

Mind you, maybe don't follow me because on Amazon, when I see pans it literally looks brick edges and vertical lines are two frames forward one frame back as the scene progress.
Spears & Munsil V2 shows 24P and 60 FPS patterns show that there are artifacts produced with either DeJudder or DeBlur is set above 0.

For DeJudder, the clarity improvement is can be seen to improve as you raise the level. The artifacts don't change much though but soap opera effect increases. If you looked at the pattern, you'd be tempted to use 10 but hate it on real content. My choice is 2.

For DeBlur, the motion pattern number become easier to discern at 1 but I find it hard to identify improvements or additional artifacts as you move up the scale.

- Rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
LG OLED55b6d

For all sources (including Satellite Tv, Netflix, Amazon Video) I use Real Cinema ON, and TM User Dejudder 3 and Deblur 6

I would like to use a higher value for Dejudder, but anything higher than 3 starts causing artifacts...

1 - 20 of 2218 Posts