AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 2218 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ive settled on Deblur 2 and DeJudder 0 for now. This works for me for just about all content. It smooths out pans a little bit but doesnt do anything nasty to the image that I can see. Imsure I could try a little more Dejudder but I dont like the overly smooth soap opera effect. I still have the latest NA firmware, FYI.

Reactions: dancolt

·
Registered
559 Posts
Is setting them both to 0 compensating for what these sets can't do (decode 24fps inside 60Hz)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is oversimplified, but it may help. To do complex analysis of frames the TV has to buffer them. Turning True Motion on lets the TV do the buffering, which is why any "ON" setting massively increases input lag and changes audio sync. 0/0 lets the TV detect and correct 3:2 cadence sent over 60hz by showing each frame 5 times (24 * 5 = 120hz refresh rate) without adding new, interpolated frames.

The RealCinema setting also changes motion handling. I haven't had my E6 long enough to be sure, but on older LG's it helped with 24p inputs and 60i (interlaced) content from cable and satellite boxes, but it didn't fix 60hz 3:2 pulldown content from streaming boxes like Apple TV and Fire TV. For a variety of reasons 24p over 60i is easier to detect and correct than 60p (deinterlace to 30FPS then drop every 5th frame to get 24p). I suspect the behavior is the same on the 2016 OLED's.

Rtings and other sites "fail" the OLED's for 24p over 60hz because they're not as good at reconstructing the original frame pacing as some other manufacturer's sets. Sony is especially good at this. But as another poster noted, there are 3:2 reversal tests you can run on calibration discs and TrueMotion 0/0 does make a difference.

So, to answer your question, setting both to 0 isn't "compensating for what these sets can't do." It's enabling them to do what you want them to do -- "fix" the 24p over 60hz signal, albeit imperfectly -- without interpolating new frames.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
According to Rtings, it failed.The C E can do 24 over 60i, but not Progressive.

Their test is pretty accurate. You can read about it here.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p
I know they say it failed but they don't go into detail about how they tested it.. Did they turn RC on/off; TM on/off/custom... we don't know what combo. I am just saying that when I tried motion tests using the 0/0 combo it looked like it was doing reverse pull-down on the test patterns. I also watch everything through cable at 1080p60 and sometimes when you are watching ESPN they are playing film content at 24p (such as a commercial) while the ticker is 60p, the ticker starts stuttering since the TV is recognizing the 24p main content and doing the reverse pull-down.

Rtings does say they will fail a TV if the reverse pulldown is spotty, so that could be the case.

I hate SOE but I can stomach up to 2-3 DJ, but rather not introduce artifacts if I have to. I know that 0/0 does not introduce artifacts or interpolation. If this is allowing the TV to do 24p over 60hz then great, if its all in my head.. well I am not losing anything keeping these settings.

The last point is that the current FW is much newer than what they tested so maybe LG fixed it. I am on the Korean version. The fact that the B/G/C-E have different processors and different FW (by region), makes this a real crap shoot.

Also. I just checked the C7 review.. it says

To be able to display 24p content without judder, the 'Real cinema' option must be turned on and the 'TruMotion' option must be set to 'User' and both the 'De-Judder' and 'De-Blur' sliders set to zero (when set to 0, no soap opera effect will be added).

When it come to movies playing via a 60p/60i source like cable boxes, the C7 was able to remove judder completely just by turning on the 'Real cinema' option.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7#comparison_207

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is oversimplified, but it may help. To do complex analysis of frames the TV has to buffer them. Turning True Motion on lets the TV do the buffering, which is why any "ON" setting massively increases input lag and changes audio sync. 0/0 lets the TV detect and correct 3:2 cadence sent over 60hz by showing each frame 5 times (24 * 5 = 120hz refresh rate) without adding new, interpolated frames.

The RealCinema setting also changes motion handling. I haven't had my E6 long enough to be sure, but on older LG's it helped with 24p inputs and 60i (interlaced) content from cable and satellite boxes, but it didn't fix 60hz 3:2 pulldown content from streaming boxes like Apple TV and Fire TV. For a variety of reasons 24p over 60i is easier to detect and correct than 60p (deinterlace to 30FPS then drop every 5th frame to get 24p). I suspect the behavior is the same on the 2016 OLED's.

Rtings and other sites "fail" the OLED's for 24p over 60hz because they're not as good at reconstructing the original frame pacing as some other manufacturer's sets. Sony is especially good at this. But as another poster noted, there are 3:2 reversal tests you can run on calibration discs and TrueMotion 0/0 does make a difference.

Thank you for the clear and thorough explanation! It sounds like 0/0 is exactly what I'm looking for, at least from my understanding of your explanation. I don't have any interlaced content coming through and Real Cinema is set to On and grayed out anyway. If RC mainly targets interlaced signals, why is it automatically on for my Apple TV if that's only outputting a progressive signal?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Rtings does say they will fail a TV if the reverse pulldown is spotty, so that could be the case.
Pretty sure that's the case. LG makes great panels but let's be honest -- the rest of their stuff isn't as good as Sony and Samsung's. Some serious Engrish in the OS. Motion handling, CMS, and other stuff is good but certainly not industry leading. Only Sony consistently nails pulldown reversal. Rtings failed most of Samsung's 2016 lineup, too, although it looks like their 2017 120hz panels are passing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thank you for the clear and thorough explanation! It sounds like 0/0 is exactly what I'm looking for, at least from my understanding of your explanation. I don't have any interlaced content coming through and Real Cinema is set to On and grayed out anyway. If RC mainly targets interlaced signals, why is it automatically on for my Apple TV if that's only outputting a progressive signal?
That's a good question and one I can't answer. On my older LG set (an LW5600 from ~2011) greyed out means it doesn't see anything it can work on now. On means it will be enabled when a 24p or 60i feed comes through on that picture mode. Again, not sure it's the same on the OLED but that seems like a reasonable assumption to make . . .

·
Banned
369 Posts
That's a good question and one I can't answer. On my older LG set (an LW5600 from ~2011) greyed out means it doesn't see anything it can work on now. On means it will be enabled when a 24p or 60i feed comes through on that picture mode. Again, not sure it's the same on the OLED but that seems like a reasonable assumption to make . . .
RC greyed out it means it is OFF no matter what you see as greyed out.
You can do this simple test on 24fps source.
1. TM OFF, RC is active and it can be changed to ON or OFF. Set it OFF.
2. Turn TM ON. RC will be greyed out and still showing OFF.
3. Turn TM OFF, RC active, set it to ON.
4. Turn TM ON, RC greyed out and showing OFF.

RC greyed out is showing the last state before it was disabled. It has no effect at this point.

·
Registered
559 Posts
RC greyed out it means it is OFF no matter what you see as greyed out.
You can do this simple test on 24fps source.
1. TM OFF, RC is active and it can be changed to ON or OFF. Set it OFF.
2. Turn TM ON. RC will be greyed out and still showing OFF.
3. Turn TM OFF, RC active, set it to ON.
4. Turn TM ON, RC greyed out and showing OFF.

RC greyed out is showing the last state before it was disabled. It has no effect at this point.
Right. On my older LG it's greyed when TrueMotion is or it it gets a 60p signal. I use the same picture mode settings on multiple inputs and it's greyed out (not working) on a 60p signal (e.g., Apple TV), not greyed out when switched to a different port that's sending something else (e.g., 24p BluRay or 1080i STB).

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Pretty sure that's the case. LG makes great panels but let's be honest -- the rest of their stuff isn't as good as Sony and Samsung's. Some serious Engrish in the OS. Motion handling, CMS, and other stuff is good but certainly not industry leading. Only Sony consistently nails pulldown reversal. Rtings failed most of Samsung's 2016 lineup, too, although it looks like their 2017 120hz panels are passing.
Ironically many 2017 Sony's failed both the 60p and 60i tests this year.. Such as the 940E.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
I know they say it failed but they don't go into detail about how they tested it.. Did they turn RC on/off; TM on/off/custom... we don't know what combo. I am just saying that when I tried motion tests using the 0/0 combo it looked like it was doing reverse pull-down on the test patterns. I also watch everything through cable at 1080p60 and sometimes when you are watching ESPN they are playing film content at 24p (such as a commercial) while the ticker is 60p, the ticker starts stuttering since the TV is recognizing the 24p main content and doing the reverse pull-down.

I hate SOE but I can stomach up to 2-3 DJ, but rather not introduce artifacts if I have to. I know that 0/0 does not introduce artifacts or interpolation. If this is allowing the TV to do 24p over 60hz then great, if its all in my head.. well I am not losing anything keeping these settings.

The last point is that the current FW is much newer than what they tested so maybe LG fixed it. I am on the Korean version. The fact that the B/G/C-E have different processors and different FW (by region), makes this a real crap shoot.

You could do their test. It's quite easy if you have any camera with an exposure time option.

I'll redo the test on my B6 see if any software update have the 24p over 60p fix

·
Banned
1,490 Posts

Allright, I just did their test on the latest B6 firmware.

It failed 24P over 60p or 24p over 60i like Rtings said. No tweak in motion setting could make it pass. It's quite easy to see it was a true 3:2 pulldown applied because half the square were darker (this mean they were displayed for 2 frame while the other were for 3)

It pass true 24P. To make 24P work, I had to completely turn off Trumotion and set True Cinema to On. With DB0 DJ0, it failed the test.

Someone with a Korean firmware on the C E should do the test.

@tylerk86 You have a B6 too, this mean whatever you do, DB0-DJ0 won't help you get true 24p cadence. You'll always get 3:2 pulldown.

EDIT: I did more test with 24p over 60p. On the B6, if you use Db0 DJ0, you get a wrong 3:2 pulldown, some square are missing and it's totally not correct. The only way to get a true 3:2 pulldown (and the greatest natural motion possible on the B6 if you don't want interpolation) is to completely turn off Trumotion.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Allright, I just did their test on the latest B6 firmware.

It failed 24P over 60p or 24p over 60i like Rtings said. No tweak in motion setting could make it pass. It's quite easy to see it was a true 3:2 pulldown applied because half the square were darker (this mean they were displayed for 2 frame while the other were for 3)

It pass true 24P. To make 24P work, I had to completely turn off Trumotion and set True Cinema to On. With DB0 DJ0, it failed the test.

Someone with a Korean firmware on the C E should do the test.

@tylerk86 You have a B6 too, this mean whatever you do, DB0-DJ0 won't help you get true 24p cadence. You'll always get 3:2 pulldown.
So what do you think then @Quebecker? Should we just leave Tru Motion off and leave RC on for everything?

·
Banned
369 Posts
You could do their test. It's quite easy if you have any camera with an exposure time option.

I'll redo the test on my B6 see if any software update have the 24p over 60p fix
Do you have a link to description of the test?

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
So what do you think then @Quebecker? Should we just leave Tru Motion off and leave RC on for everything?
I will still use DJ3 DB0. But on the B6, if you want to have true 24p cadence you need to turn completely off trumotion and turn RC ON.

With 24p over 60hz, it's impossible to have true 24p cadence, but to have the best natural 3:2 pulldown motion is to also completely turn off trumotion (the RC will be greyed).

again, this is only for the B6. The C and E have a different engine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I will still use DB3 DJ0. But on the B6, if you want to have true 24p cadence you need to turn completely off trumotion and turn RC ON.

With 24p over 60hz, it's impossible to have true 24p cadence, but to have the best natural 3:2 pulldown motion is to also completely turn off trumotion (the RC will be greyed).

So it's just going to be juddery on pans.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I will still use DJ3 DB0. But on the B6, if you want to have true 24p cadence you need to turn completely off trumotion and turn RC ON.

@Quebecker, So 4K or 1080P blu rays RC on and true Motion off. For cable or satellite Tru motion DJ2 and DB 0?

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
So 4K or 1080P blu rays RC on and true Motion off. For cable or satellite Tru motion DJ2 and DB 0?
Just use what you want. One thing is sure on the B6. If you want to have the true 24P cadence with true 24P material, you need TM Off (Not DB0-DJ0) and real cinema on.

I like smoothness, so I'll use DB3-DJ0 everywhere :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just use what you want. One thing is sure on the B6. If you want to have the true 24P cadence with true 24P material, you need TM Off (Not DB0-DJ0) and real cinema on.

I like smoothness, so I'll use DB3-DJ0 everywhere :)

"True 24P cadence with true 24P material" (not passed through 60Hz).

781 - 800 of 2218 Posts