AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 2218 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes, this. Can't watch the news with TruMotion on at all. For instance, watching the NBC Nightly News (1080i60), I can have TruMotion set to User, with EITHER DB or DJ set to only 1 and the other set to 0. If there's a motion graphic box next to Lester Holt's talking head, it wreaks havoc on Lester's lips -- the motion just bogs down and becomes very choppy, like the CPU is overtaxed. Clearly, the TV is trying to figure out the cadence of the on-screen motion but having two discrete areas of motion trips it up. I can replay the scene (via my TiVo) with TM turned off and everything looks fine. (RealCinema doesn't seem to have any effect on this problem, whether it's on or off.)
That's strange - I watch the news all of the time with TruMotion enabled (de-judder=3, de-blur=0) and have never seen that happen (that would drive me crazy!).

I wonder what the difference is between your setup and mine?

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's strange - I watch the news all of the time with TruMotion enabled (de-judder=3, de-blur=0) and have never seen that happen (that would drive me crazy!).

I wonder what the difference is between your setup and mine?

Same here. I'm not seeing the stuttering some are talking about. 65B6P here with 04.31.20 FW.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Guys, do you know of any motion test patterns freely available? I want to test the difference between 24 Hz and 60 Hz output on our LG blu-ray player, in combination with various RC and TM settings on the TV. For now, I've been using 24 Hz output because when rtings.com tested the B6P then noted that the TV can display judder-free playback of 24p material but not when it's contained in a 60p or 60i signal.

·
Banned
369 Posts
Deblur consistently stutters in certain situations. I've seen it in 60hz content too. It's like when there are too many elements on the screen, the processor bogs down or something.

When watching Basketball, without fail, when the camera goes to the free throw angled shot, it stutters. Likewise it stutters without fail during Baseball when the pitcher starts to deliver the pitch. When watching Family Feud, without fail, when it shows a wide shot of the families in the beginning when they introduce them and there is a big screen graphic behind them with animations, it stutters. When watching a postgame of the Mets on SNY, or the Knicks on MSG, without fail, when it does a wide angle of the broadcasters talking while seated at the desk, and there is a screen behind them showing graphics, animations, highlights, etc, it stutters.

Those are just the cases that are replicated 100% of the time. It also stutters randomly for any unknown number of reasons. There are also certain shows that just stutter damn near throughout the entire episode. Chicago PD and Blindspot on NBC immediately come to mind.

Some people probably aren't as sensitive to it, but Deblur is pretty much unusable, to me. At least on Cable. Haven't noticed any issue on BD or UHD discs, but I haven't really used Deblur much on those formats either.
Do you have B6 or C6, E6?

The stutter you are describing is from DB higher than 1 or just with TM 0/0? Can you see the difference in stutter if you use DB0 or lets say DB6 on TV programming? If you turn TM off this will turn off the motion processor and it is not related to DB.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It would have to be gradual off and gradual on at 120Hz.

On the other hand I think there is some issue with how the OLED updates the screen or some load / brightness distribution. Contrasted objects as they move fast through 24fps film on OLED appear to have edge more pronounced and a bit of wavy pattern. Don't have any video of this. Need a lot faster camera to capture this anomaly than my old Sony with 240fps slow speed recording.
Now that sounds very interesting. I wonder if the engineers at LG or Sony could implement this. It seems like Panasonic would be more interested in implementing something like this.

The way you describe the judder on an OLED is exactly what I see.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes, this. Can't watch the news with TruMotion on at all. For instance, watching the NBC Nightly News (1080i60), I can have TruMotion set to User, with EITHER DB or DJ set to only 1 and the other set to 0. If there's a motion graphic box next to Lester Holt's talking head, it wreaks havoc on Lester's lips -- the motion just bogs down and becomes very choppy, like the CPU is overtaxed. Clearly, the TV is trying to figure out the cadence of the on-screen motion but having two discrete areas of motion trips it up. I can replay the scene (via my TiVo) with TM turned off and everything looks fine. (RealCinema doesn't seem to have any effect on this problem, whether it's on or off.)
BTW, I'm seeing this on my 55B6P. I have the latest firmware but this has been a problem since I got the TV, through multiple firmware versions. Just replayed the offending clip with TM turned on, set to User at 0,0 and motion looked OK. But bumping either DJ or DB to 1 causes the glitch.

·
Banned
369 Posts
BTW, I'm seeing this on my 55B6P. I have the latest firmware but this has been a problem since I got the TV, through multiple firmware versions. Just replayed the offending clip with TM turned on, set to User at 0,0 and motion looked OK. But bumping either DJ or DB to 1 causes the glitch.
This could be the issue with B6 series. I don't see difference in stutter (skipped frames) when using DJ or DB and adjusting the numbers. I only see the difference in stutter with TM ON or OFF on my C6. Maybe I don't watch enough of 60Hz TV. My cable TV box is outputting all at 1080p.

·
Registered
996 Posts
This could be the issue with B6 series. I don't see difference in stutter (skipped frames) when using DJ or DB and adjusting the numbers. I only see the difference in stutter with TM ON or OFF on my C6. Maybe I don't watch enough of 60Hz TV. My cable TV box is outputting all at 1080p.
I also have a B6 (65" B6 US model) and I've never seen the stutter that @NashGuy is referring to. Strange... @NashGuy - do you have a US model? Very interesting that we're seeing different things with the same model...

·
Banned
369 Posts
Guys, do you know of any motion test patterns freely available? I want to test the difference between 24 Hz and 60 Hz output on our LG blu-ray player, in combination with various RC and TM settings on the TV. For now, I've been using 24 Hz output because when rtings.com tested the B6P then noted that the TV can display judder-free playback of 24p material but not when it's contained in a 60p or 60i signal.
What is it that you are after?

If you are just trying to find out what the controls do you can read this tread from beginning. A lot of good into here :)

I've done a lot of testing and posted results, pictures and videos in this thread. It will save you a lot of time ;)

3:2 pulldown and frame rate cadence tests:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-29.html#post53365106
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-40.html#post53837177

Slow motion videos and various settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-34.html#post53523001
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-34.html#post53531001
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-35.html#post53587881

De-Blur function:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-41.html#post53886457

There are also good Youtube videos for testing motion and side effects of motion processors:

Ball test. This can be played out of Youtube build in app. TM on even with 0/0 will introduce stutter (skipped frames) when 60fps ball appears on screen:
https://youtu.be/WyvUIA7KUjc?list=PLsKy0G673P_lf7xIZFgRf1t5F89ixQEtv

Artifacts from motion:
https://youtu.be/TVtoxUohG5E?list=PLsKy0G673P_lf7xIZFgRf1t5F89ixQEtv

Blur test for LCD TV's. It has to be played from computer to OLED or downloaded to USB. Internal app plays this at 30fps forcing DJ and strong artifacts. The video is 60fps at source and looks amazing with DB 10.
https://youtu.be/vigX3H7WX5Q?list=PLsKy0G673P_lf7xIZFgRf1t5F89ixQEtv

Get one of the calibration disks to play on your LG player. Most of the disks are for basic calibration of brightness levels and colours. Not much for motion testing and setup.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
@3DBuff

Thanks! I will check those out when I get a chance. What I'm looking for is to see if there's a difference in motion between 24 Hz and 60 Hz output on the LG blu-ray player. I haven't really noticed a difference watching content, so I wanted to pull up some motion test patterns to check.

I've used the AVS HD 709 calibration slides, as well as some near black slides and windows posted in another thread, to optimize the brightness, contrast, and color settings. Now just looking into testing the motion using test patterns.

·
Banned
369 Posts
24fps out through 24Hz RC on is 1 to 1 film cadence.
24fps out through 60Hz is 3:2 pulldown.

You are not going to see the difference in the middle of the movie on slow scenes. You will notice the difference on panning scenes or scrolling text.
Motion tests and patterns will show the difference as long as you don't engage the TM. It is more visible if you film the display with slow motion camera. iPhone has basic slow motion recording.

TM and DJ will work very similar in both cases. 24fps to 60Hz output with TM on DJ 1, DB 0 will even out the frame cadence back to 1:1. You will get motion processor working and some artifacts if you really look hard for it.

24 to 60Hz is giving this shimmering look as someone described. Some people prefer this over true 24fps film cadence. Blu-Ray players performing 3:2 pulldown to 60Hz are not making any conversion into 60fps. It was reported here that players like Oppo doing 3:2 pulldown are doing batter job compared to TV doing the same thing. This hasn't been tested or proven in any way and it is questionable at this point.

Do some testing on your own and share your experience. Pictures and videos are welcome :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Do you have B6 or C6, E6?

The stutter you are describing is from DB higher than 1 or just with TM 0/0? Can you see the difference in stutter if you use DB0 or lets say DB6 on TV programming? If you turn TM off this will turn off the motion processor and it is not related to DB.
I have a 65E6P. US model.

I see the stutter with deblur at 10. I've tried Deblur at 7 or 8 as a suggestion by another poster, but it behaved the same. Never used Deblur art a lower number than 7, when I'm actually using deblur. I have had deblur set to zero, with Dejudder at various levels to test if the stutter was strictly deblur. In my tests, even with Dejudder at 1 and Deblur at 0, it would stutter, but not as frequently or consistently as with Deblur on. It would still stutter when a pitcher would start to deliver a pitch. It would sometimes stutter on Chicago PD and Blindspot. It would stutter when players shot free throws, but not all the time, just sometimes.

The problem is that on Dejudder 1 or 2, it would stutter sometimes, would have motion artifacts sometimes, yet it still didn't smooth out pans all that much. Any higher than 2 and SOE is very noticeable to me, to go along with the occasional stutters, and occasional motion artifacts. The pitcher delivering a pitch, for example would stutter and then his arm would look a bit crazy to boot.

To me, TruMotion is absolutely worthless. In order for it to do anything about smoothing out problematic pans, it needs to be set to a point where SOE is highly objectionable. To top it off, it has artifacts and occasional stutters. It has zero pros and only cons in my opinion and I stick to RC. I go back to TM to test it out every time there is a claim made about an improvement when there's a new update. All these claims are baseless IMO. I see no change.

I'm running the latest US FW BTW.

Reactions: Superman23

·
Banned
369 Posts
Thanks for in depth explanation of the issue. The problems you are describing are from live TV 1080i source?
Do you have cable box or anything similar?

Some of us don't have this issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is only one last thing left De-Blur.

I didn't pay too much attention to it as not having effect on 24fps but it needs to be digested like the rest of the motion controls ;)

As far as I can tell it has 0 effect on 24fps film material. De-Blur effect 60fps video content only. It doesn't enhance De-Judder in any way from my tests on my C6 with FW 04.90.10. It acts independent and only on true 60fps. It interpolates additional frame to make video motion at 120fps with setting of 10.

I used Moving Photo from Blur Basters web side as the base for the experiments. This is probably the closest to real movie compared to jumping lines etc. I'm not going to list all combinations of different settings but if you want something specific just ask. The key videos are here.

Quick note on this subject. De-Judder makes interpolated frames on 24fps film material all the way to 120fps at DJ10. It has 0 effect on 60fps videos. However DJ will detect and try to correct 24fps film material delivered to the TV at 60Hz 3:2 pulldnown. DJ and DB are not tied in to frequency of display but rather detecting video frame rate and acting accordingly.

Slow motion videos captured at 240fps and played back at 60.

https://youtu.be/qSQFvQSJR6c

https://youtu.be/4lrGLwTCmX4

https://youtu.be/SiT99phs7Uk

https://youtu.be/_gSaqAOn8aw

https://youtu.be/aJLwdBoRcn8

https://youtu.be/d-1nYMe8O-A

https://youtu.be/c7IRkY8hU70
So deblurr has no effect on a movie at 24hrz(P)??

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Thanks for in depth explanation of the issue. The problems you are describing are from live TV 1080i source?
Do you have cable box or anything similar?

Some of us don't have this issue.
Yes, this is primarily cable, although sometimes YouTube videos will stutter as well. I watch a lot of IGN videos, particularly podcast type videos where they talk about various games, shows, conventions (E3, ComicCon, etc) and they have a similar setup to a postgame or pregame sports broadcast. Commentators at a broadcast table with a large display behind them with graphics, animations, gameplay, highlights, etc. It will sometimes stutter on those vids as it does on cable when there is a similar setup, like I mentioned in earlier posts.

As for my cable, I have Optimum. Using the Samsung DVR (forget the model number right now) set to output at 1080i with no option to change it IIRC. DVR is hooked up straight to the E6 in HDMI 1 as it would not output any sound when connected to my AVR unless I changed the HDMI 2 that the AVR is connected to, to disabled for Enhanced. Sound is output via ARC.

·
Banned
369 Posts
Yes, this is primarily cable, although sometimes YouTube videos will stutter as well. I watch a lot of IGN videos, particularly podcast type videos where they talk about various games, shows, conventions (E3, ComicCon, etc) and they have a similar setup to a postgame or pregame sports broadcast. Commentators at a broadcast table with a large display behind them with graphics, animations, gameplay, highlights, etc. It will sometimes stutter on those vids as it does on cable when there is a similar setup, like I mentioned in earlier posts.

As for my cable, I have Optimum. Using the Samsung DVR (forget the model number right now) set to output at 1080i with no option to change it IIRC. DVR is hooked up straight to the E6 in HDMI 1 as it would not output any sound when connected to my AVR unless I changed the HDMI 2 that the AVR is connected to, to disabled for Enhanced. Sound is output via ARC.
I wold try different cable decoder or run the cable directly to TV for testing if the signal is not encrypted. I don't see this issue on my setup but I will look for it specifically with the scenes having displays in the background.

Youtube is not reliable source. It limits frame rate and skips all the time. You can turn "Stats for Nerds" on from the app and check on skipped frames counter. Run the same video through computer connected to OLED and double check. LAN wired connections all the time, avoid WiFi for videos.

·
Banned
369 Posts
So deblurr has no effect on a movie at 24hrz(P)??
Unless someone proves this otherwise ;)

Every time you adjust DB with some value in DJ it seams like it is doing something. But is ti? ;)

There is no test that can prove effect of DB on low frame rates 20 to 30fps. I have lot's of test material showing DB working on 50 to 60 fps :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I wold try different cable decoder or run the cable directly to TV for testing if the signal is not encrypted. I don't see this issue on my setup but I will look for it specifically with the scenes having displays in the background.

Youtube is not reliable source. It limits frame rate and skips all the time. You can turn "Stats for Nerds" on from the app and check on skipped frames counter. Run the same video through computer connected to OLED and double check. LAN wired connections all the time, avoid WiFi for videos.
My Cable box is connected directly to the TV.

The same YouTube vids never stutter with only RC on and TM off, so it is not YouTube that is the cause. I am using the TV's YouTube app. The TV is connected to via wired LAN as are all of my components.

·
Banned
369 Posts
TM is causing the stutter when the video is 60 fps and some parts are at 24 or 30. It will adjust the frame buffer from DB to DJ even if TM 0/0. It shouldn't be frequent and common. I'll look for it.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Unless someone proves this otherwise ;)

Every time you adjust DB with some value in DJ it seams like it is doing something. But is ti? ;)

There is no test that can prove effect of DB on low frame rates 20 to 30fps. I have lot's of test material showing DB working on 50 to 60 fps :)
When testing with spears and munsil motion tests, if I set tv to RC off and TM off while the test is playing and then switch to TM at 0,0, there is a hitch or a stutter in the flow for a few seconds. So TM at 0,0 does not seem to be perfect 3:2. When I play the same test with RC on and TM off, and then switch RC off, there is no hitch or stutter and the test goes from 5:5 to 3:2 without a problem. This is with 24fps.

1461 - 1480 of 2218 Posts