AVS Forum banner

2016 LG model OLED motion settings

308K views 2K replies 174 participants last post by  wxman 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like to collect all the motion settings people are using for the 2016 LG OLED into one thread.

As you can imagine, we need to keep this organized so that we can eventually find a consistant set of motion settings that work for most people.

Please include

Model TV (remember...this must be a 2016 LG OLED..B,C,E,G)
Signal source (TIVO, Satellite box, BD players, etc.)and the known output resolution (if you're not sure, place cursor at upper left corner of screen and double click if you're using HDMI)
Real Cinema (on/off)
TruMotion (off/smooth/clear/user)
and if you use TruMotion, the De-Judder and De-Blur settings.

If you have different settings for different devices, please include all the motion settings so if there are any differences, we'll be able to pick up on it.

Many thanks to all who post.

Useful links relating to motion testing and settings. There are others which will be added later.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...del-oled-motion-settings-40.html#post53837177

See less See more
#5 ·
65" E6.

Antenna(roof mounted), Streaming(netflix, hulu, etc).
Real Cinema - ON
TruMotion - OFF

Samsung UBD8500K used for blu-ray, UHD blu-ray & DVD(24fps sources)
Real Cinema - ON
TruMotion - User Mode: DeJudder 2, DeBlur = 8.

The above works great for me. Very pleased with these.

Reactions: AnalogHD
#6 · (Edited)
B6
Cox Cable = 1080i
Samsung k8500 = auto (upscales everything to 4k)
I mostly use the TV apps for streaming except for HBO, for which I use the K8500.

TruMotion = Off for everything (it's more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion)
Real Cinema = ON (always)

Lately, nearly all of my viewing has been via streaming sources. Seriously considering ditching Cable altogether.

No motion issues for me at all. Subjective, I know...But to me it looks cinema-like.

#9 ·
65B6 - All sources

Real Cinema: ON
TruMotion: User Mode - DeJudder: 2, DeBlur: 5

Running Spears & Munsil V2 motion patterns it is clear DeJudder operates on 24P sources and DeBlur on others.
The smoothing change is obvious with DeJudder. However, this patter shows very little difference between DeBlur settings.

- Rich

Reactions: mo949
#16 · (Edited)
65e6 - All sources

24p film content:Real Cinema: ON, true motion off. No judder seen beyond that redirected for 24p
24p film content over 50i/60i:Real Cinema: ON, true motion off. Judder seen.
1080i Video content : Real cinema :Off, true motion enabled Use mode : DeJudder: 2, DeBlur: 0 for video. Some judder on panning shots but not foreground content.
Sport content (still tuning): Real cinema :Off, true motion enabled Use mode : DeJudder: tbd, DeBlur: TBD;judder
24p film content over 50/60p:Real Cinema: ON, true motion off. No Judder seen beyond that expected for 24p

Hi Rich

Did you find the spears disc showed what is best for, 24p material in 50/60 Hz? E.g. streaming from apps. Curious why you enable both rather than using inputs mode to switch which maybe quicker than changing the settings. Or did your tests show the TV literally better for deblur setting for video content and dejudder for 24fps content?

I have seen only difference between input modes: game console, home theatre, and blu ray player are that console disables real cinema but enables true motion. Blu-ray defaults real cinema to on. Home theatre shows all settings.
There's less clicks to change the input type on a connection than to change both modes.

Mind you, maybe don't follow me because on Amazon, when I see pans it literally looks brick edges and vertical lines are two frames forward one frame back as the scene progress.

#10 ·
DeBlur ruins live sports, and DeJudder causes motion artifacts when set higher than 0 for blu ray. Quickest way to see the issues with deblur is to watch baseball and watch the ball being thrown across the infield. Baseball looks like it has a vapor trail with it set higher than 0. Same with golf. You can also see it at times in football when the ball is thrown, but harder to see since the ball is a darker color.

#18 ·
I never us true motion.

Leave Real Cinema ON and your good.

Coming from a VT65 plasma motion is very good on B6 don't need true motion ON.

LG EG9100 had horrible motion worst OLED tv on the motion I ever have had.

#74 ·
I never us true motion. Leave Real Cinema ON and your good. Coming from a VT65 plasma motion is very good on B6 don't need true motion ON.
Without True Motion on, and the de-blur setting moved up from 0, there is very noticeable and annoying motion blur on these OLED's. I have the Sony Bravia 2009 Demo disc, and there is a Motionflow demo clip to check for motion blur on there that demonstrates this very well.

With my C6 right beside my Samsung D7000 running this same clip through an HDMI splitter, the motion blur on the C6 is obvious and horrible and the plasma looks infinitely better, albeit this clip is also good for revealing a bit yellow-green phosphor trailing on the plasma.

Engage True Motion and turn the deblur to 10 (de-judder left at 0) and the motion blur clears right up.

I've seen some people here on AVS claim that with True Motion off, the motion on their LG OLED looks the same as their plasma. Nope. Sorry. It does not look the same. There is very obvious motion blur. This Sony Demo disc from 2009 also has a clip from Skate Canada, with fast pans following the figure skaters across the rink. Figure skating rinks always have advertisements with text on the boards surrounding the rink.

With True Motion not engaged, the text advertisements on the boards around the rink, when the camera pans quickly to follow the path of the skater, looks like a blurry mess. I see double vision. The text on the boards around the rink is not very blurry at all on the plasma, a vast and easily noticeable improvement, albeit in certain instances I can see a bit of phosphor lag/trailing.

My C6 just arrived yesterday so I have not had enough time to run my full battery of tests, but I could not tolerate the motion blur with True Motion off. I have yet to engage any de-judder, but some deblur is quite beneficial and I did not notice any glaring artifacts that would make me want to disengage it―yet. Still too early to tell.

I was watching some of the Australian Open with deblur on 10, and it looked fine.

#22 · (Edited)
I'd like to collect all the motion settings people are using for the 2016 LG OLED into one thread.

As you can imagine, we need to keep this organized so that we can eventually find a consistant set of motion settings that work for most people.

Please include

Model TV (remember...this must be a 2016 LG OLED..B,C,E,G)
Signal source (TIVO, Satellite box, BD players, etc.)and the known output resolution (if you're not sure, place cursor at upper left corner of screen and double click if you're using HDMI)
Real Cinema (on/off)
TruMotion (off/smooth/clear/user)
and if you use TruMotion, the De-Judder and De-Blur settings.

If you have different settings for different devices, please include all the motion settings so if there are any differences, we'll be able to pick up on it.

Many thanks to all who post.
Hey JimP, how about including seating distance from screen to the list. Just curious to see what people are seeing may be related to seating distance.

#25 · (Edited)
Just posted this in the B6/C6 owners thread (wasn't aware of this dedicated motion thread), but those that have seen my posts in the past know that I've been very "vocal" about the poor motion-processing on these LG OLED sets. I'm coming from a 55" Vizio LCD set that I've owner for 4 years and when I got the B6, I immediately noticed that motion (in movies mostly, live sports has always been great on the LG) was very "choppy/stuttery/juddery" with things like panning shots and just in general.

What I found was that my Vizio had it's "Smoothness" setting set to "Medium" (default, I guess) - so I became very used to nice, smooth motion - without any bad side-effects (artifacts, etc). My understanding now is that this is called "Soap Opera Effect" and most people dislike it - but personally, I love it (to a certain point). I just like motion to be nice and smooth - just looks more natural to me.

Anyway, I was concentrating on the de-judder setting to try and get my "smoothness" level back (like on the Vizio) and just couldn't get it without crazy amounts of side-effects (artifacts,etc). Until last night...

So, with the back story out of the way...

65" B6. Verizon FIOS as source. Cable box outputs everything at 1080p (no native option).

TruMotion=On
De-judder=5 (for now, will try increasing further to test limits)
De-blur=0 (this was the key!)

Since putting de-blur to 0, I can now increase the de-judder setting (and smooth the motion) *without crazy amounts of artifacts*!!!

If you like some level of SOE/smooth motion, try setting de-blur to *0* and then increase de-judder. So far (brief testing time), it got rid of the vast majority of the artifacts created by the de-judder setting!

Still have to test my UHD bluray player to get optimal settings for it.

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
TruMotion=On
De-judder=5 (for now, will try increasing further to test limits)
De-blur=0 (this was the key!)

Since putting de-blur to 0, I can now increase the de-judder setting (and smooth the motion) *without crazy amounts of artifacts*!!!

If you like some level of SOE/smooth motion, try setting de-blur to *0* and then increase de-judder. So far (brief testing time), it got rid of the vast majority of the artifacts created by the de-judder setting!

Still have to test my UHD bluray player to get optimal settings for it.

Can confirm. I tried judder 5 blur 1 and much less artefacts.

Will need to see if I find it better than J3-B9, but it look promising

#26 ·
You guys are doing great so far.

Lets keep the unique experiences coming and in a few days, I'll post some summary results.

After that, then lets discuss the results so we can come up with some solid recommendations.

Oh also, if you know your incoming resolution, please edit your post to include it. I have no idea if some cable boxes are setup as native or 1080i or 1080p. ....and I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with motion on these displays.

#29 ·
Just fyi...I updated my post to include not only my cable resolution, but also my most common viewing source. I.e., I am mostly looking at streaming sources these days instead of cable. And I use the streaming apps on the TV (mostly). FWIW, I leave TruMotion Off and Real Cinema ON for everything.

Reactions: JimP
#33 ·
65C6P here.

De-Judder = 0
De-Blur = 10

or Tru-Motion = Off, depending on the source.

De-Judder = 1 or higher just introduces too many noticeable artifacts to the image.

#39 ·
I have De-judder set to either 3 or 2 (still deciding which I prefer; I think artifacts are a bit more evident at 3 but judder is also less) and De-blur set to 8. I use these settings for all internal apps, for my Apple TV 3 and for Blu-ray. I'm pretty happy with how motion looks for all those sources. De-judder 3 without it introducing any artifacts would be ideal but the artifacts I see (a thin halo of distortion around fast-moving objects) are slight and I don't see them too often, so they're not that big of a deal. As I said, I think they're even less noticeable at De-judder 2.

For my TiVo which I use for OTA TV, I haven't decided between having TruMotion completely off or having De-judder at 2 and De-blur at 0. I go back and forth. For some reason, TruMotion sometimes exaggerates and/or introduces types of motion glitches (e.g. stuttering, dropped frames) in broadcast TV that I don't see it doing in any other source, regardless of the whether the signal is interlaced or progressive. I can't decide if I think the benefits of reduced judder are worth the occasional glitch. The glitches are caused to some degree by having either De-judder or De-blur on, even with the other off. The glitches are worse with both on and, of course, the higher you have them set.

I keep RealCinema turned on for all sources.

#40 ·
I recently tried turning TruMotion off for my cable and I can't believe that anyone can watch TV that way! It's like it constantly drops frames or something - it's completely un-watchable to me. I have Verizon FIOS and have tried 720p, 1080i and 1080p and it doesn't really seem to make a difference. Lately, I've been running with de-blur=0 and de-judder at 4 or 5 and it seems the best I can get. I still wish this set handled motion processing better though.

#42 ·
I've been watching Dish Satellite (VIP722) a good part of the afternoon and have been playing with the settings. Output is 1080i. I tried all sorts of combinations and the only thing that minimized motion problems was to turn TruMotion and Real Cinema both off. Yet I know on my Tivo Bolt, with the same 1080i output, I can't do that.

So something is definately up where 1080i60 on one device requires different settings than on another device when both are playing very similar content. What I mean by that is that it was probably recorded with digital cameras and I doubt they were set with different frame rates.

Any brains out there that'd like to throw out a theory?

#47 ·
So after spending a little more time with my TruMotion settings, I have adjusted them to de-judder=5 and de-blur=3. With de-blur=0, I found that there was some "trailing"/"ghosting" during fast motion.

Just to be clear, these settings really only affect movies. Trumotion=off and Trumotion set to J5, B3 looks exactly the same for things like live sports and other higher FPS material.

For those that can't stand SOE/smoothness, does the smoothness of things like live sports bother you as well? To me, Trumotion just enables lower FPS material to look like higher FPS material - it just smooths out the jerkiness in motion. Was just curious if the smoothness of stuff like live sports, newscasts, etc also bothered you and if you'd prefer that to be "jerky" and less smooth as well? I know that some mention that the smooth motion actually literally makes them sick to the stomach - and if they also got sick to the stomach from watching sports and other high FPS material. It just fascinates me how some people prefer "jerky" motion over smooth motion. I mean to each their own, I'm just trying to understand it a little better.

#48 ·
For those that can't stand SOE/smoothness, does the smoothness of things like live sports bother you as well? To me, Trumotion just enables lower FPS material to look like higher FPS material - it just smooths out the jerkiness in motion.
I don't have a problem with video looking like video, but rather with film looking like video which is what the SOE does to film sources. I don't perceive jerkiness in 24fps motion. Directors/filmographers are supposed to take in to account the limitations of their media.

Film has an intentional surreal aspect (ex: film grain & motion) that helps transport our mind in to the world of the movie. It becomes somewhere else - some place else ... rather than like viewing a bunch of actors in my backyard through a window.

Suspension of disbelief is not necessary when watching video. We are watching real events played out in real locations ... not actors in costumes on movie sets or against green screens.

How would it be for someone never subjected to 24fps content recorded on film stock? Can't say ...

#54 ·
Is there an ideal motion setting for football?
My STB source is 1080i.
I've never really had any motion issues with football (or any live sport) - regardless of the TruMotion settings. It seems that the higher framerate used for live sports really makes the motion settings irrelevant. I just set the TruMotion settings to what I like for movies and just leave them be - they don't seem to have any impact on sports.

Same with RealCinema. Since you're using 1080i, I would enable RealCinema and just leave it on (for everything).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.