AVS Forum banner

22201 - 22220 of 23446 Posts

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I have everything off except Real Cinema.

The stutter is semi random. The one somewhat unifying thing that causes the stutter seems to be when there is a large digital display with movement around that display, or some kind of complex background with movement in the foreground.

Some examples:

Family Feud. When Steve Harvey goes over to the families to ask a question and there is a shot of the scoreboard in the background, the movement of Steve and the contestants will often stutter. Happens quite often.

Watching a Basketball game. When a player is at free throw line and then a score or some type of stat display comes up, it often stutters. Not when the game is actually going on, though. Only during the particular free throw line camera shot does this happen.

SNY, in particular, but other news or sporting news shows can trigger it, but they are rare. SNY is semi reliable. When watching the Knicks postgame show (I know, I'm a masochist) and the two broadcasters are on either side of the digital display in the background and the shot also contains the display on the desk that they are sitting behind, it stutters.

It's basically like the chip in the 6 Series is so crappy that it can't handle displaying movement and complex graphics at the same time, is the best way to describe it.
That sound like a 1080i issue. If you have a cable or satellite box, most default everything to 1080i. That includes 720p60 programming such as sports and networks like ABC/Fox/ESPN and others. Doing that will create stutter at time. If your box allows you to set it at native, switch it to that. Then 720p60 will be at 720p60 and 1080i will be at 1080i60. Forcing progressive scans to interlaced scans causes issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may have better described the phenomenon I saw. Whether we call it stuttering or strobing, it creates a visual sense of choppiness. 240 Hz would be fantastic. Let's first see if they can deliver the broken promised feature associated with 120 Hz in 2020. I no longer have Netflix, but I never recall shows in the app where multiple frames are skipped. On Amazon Prime, this comes across as more of a glitch because it's almost always inconsistent and highly random.
I notice it way more when watching UHD Blu-ray for whatever reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Im still confused what using my Yamaha Aventage video processor does. If I have appletv into the receiver then out to the G6p with processing on, I think the picture looks better and smoother. I always liked Yamaha video processing, I used to use it all the time on the ZT60 plasma i had. What does it do exactly? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
That sound like a 1080i issue. If you have a cable or satellite box, most default everything to 1080i. That includes 720p60 programming such as sports and networks like ABC/Fox/ESPN and others. Doing that will create stutter at time. If your box allows you to set it at native, switch it to that. Then 720p60 will be at 720p60 and 1080i will be at 1080i60. Forcing progressive scans to interlaced scans causes issues.
I don't think that explains why it seems to happen in specific scenarios, though. If it's a 1080i issue, then it should stutter all the time.

The other thing is that it isn't only on the cable box. It happens on YouTube too, and in similar situations. I watch a show called Fireteam Chat on IGN's YouTube Destiny channel. It's a round table type talk show about destiny. They sit in a studio around a round desk and there is a screen in the background that sometimes shows graphics or cuts of videos. The hosts will sometimes stutter during certain wide shots that have the entire panel and the display in view. Similar to the MSG setup of the Knicks postgame show. The show is in 4k.

I'm pretty sure it's an LG issue.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I don't think that explains why it seems to happen in specific scenarios, though. If it's a 1080i issue, then it should stutter all the time.

The other thing is that it isn't only on the cable box. It happens on YouTube too, and in similar situations. I watch a show called Fireteam Chat on IGN's YouTube Destiny channel. It's a round table type talk show about destiny. They sit in a studio around a round desk and there is a screen in the background that sometimes shows graphics or cuts of videos. The hosts will sometimes stutter during certain wide shots that have the entire panel and the display in view. Similar to the MSG setup of the Knicks postgame show. The show is in 4k.

Since it only happens when screens displaying images are in the shot and talent crosses them, it's likely that it has to do with the display refresh and synchronization to the camera of the feed to the display devices in the set.

This is not uncommon, and some TVs deal with it better than others. A 240 Hz panel may actually make it worse.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Since it only happens when screens displaying images are in the shot and talent crosses them, it's likely that it has to do with the display refresh and synchronization to the camera of the feed to the display devices in the set.

This is not uncommon, and some TVs deal with it better than others. A 240 Hz panel may actually make it worse.
I hear what you're saying, but the talent doesn't have to actually cross in front of the display in the background for the stutter to happen, either. The setup for each of these scenarios is made so that the participants never obscure the display, actually.

Only thing I know is I've never seen any TV do this until I had my OLED, and I've watched similar things, especially in the case of news/sporting broadcasts, for years upon years and had many displays in that time.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts

I have never seen that stuttering on my E6 via my satellite box which has the resolution set to native. I have seen stuttering via the internal Netflix app, but that is because some shows are at 24 fps and others at 23.976 fps. The tv can handle 23.476 fps, but when the show is 24 fps, it will skip frames and cause a stutter every 41 seconds. With external devices such and the Shield that stream Netflix, there isn't any stutter, because it handles 24 fps correctly. I have heard the ATV4K doesn't process 24fps correctly either, but luckily only a few shows on Netflix are at 24 fps.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've delayed installing the most recent firmware update (05.30.60) as I don't want to create any problems. People seem to be reporting that it's safe to install, although the only benefits (or annoyances, depending on how you look at it) appear to be changes to the remote. Is this an all-clear? Is it safe to upgrade?

Only one person has responded to this (thanks, DougDingle!). Does that mean no one else has had any issues with the 05.30.60 firmware update?

·
Registered
473 Posts
After what 2-3 years I finally have seen what dolby vision looks like on my 77g6p, and I am quite impressed. Its awesome with my atv and disney plus. Does anyone know if Apple tv is capable of dolby vision 4k as just the standard setting? I couldnt find it only 1080p dolby vision.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I would recommend it, though Vudu UHD is a close 2nd in quality. Can't help you with the Apple streaming issues unfortunately.

I read on the Amazon Firestick 4K list that Movies Anywhere streams at very close to UHD BluRay rates (25-35 Mbits). I have no personal experience with the service, just passing this on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Whats really amazing on my 77g6p is Disney plus in dolby vision on my apple tv. Wow. the detail is fantastic. This is the first time I actually thought my Oled was better then the zt60 I had.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
After what 2-3 years I finally have seen what dolby vision looks like on my 77g6p, and I am quite impressed. Its awesome with my atv and disney plus. Does anyone know if Apple tv is capable of dolby vision 4k as just the standard setting? I couldnt find it only 1080p dolby vision.

Thanks
And that is fake HDR. Imagine what you would think of real uhd discs. ;) Disney is fooling us all. but it does look fetching on the 77g6p sir!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
And that is fake HDR. Imagine what you would think of real uhd discs. ;) Disney is fooling us all. but it does look fetching on the 77g6p sir!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Disney+ is the worst 4k HDR I have ever seen on a streaming service. So terrible.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Disney+ is the worst 4k HDR I have ever seen on a streaming service. So terrible.

Than it is truely a testament of what the G6P is capable of with such a low quality source material. Its just goes to prove that infinate black levels and really come through with garbage in. Much like those dark episodes of Game of Thrones in the final season. Made me proud to own a 77 oled!

22201 - 22220 of 23446 Posts