AVS Forum banner

23361 - 23380 of 23479 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I honestly have been running it how it came out of the box and I have used it since the end of 2016 like this. Not a single issue. My only gripe is, I nicked the screen with an HDMI cord, called LG for a replacement, and they wanted $2,000, which is more than what a new one costs, on sale. But that was user error.
With that amount of use you should be nearing or a bit over 10,000 hours. You might want to run this Ytube video and report what you see in the 10,000+ hour thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3031138-report-here-after-you-have-10-000-hours-your-oled-8.html

·
Registered
811 Posts
For what it's worth, I moved my E6 into my office and connected a mac mini to it where I stream CNBC, FOX, CNN and another random channel, at a minimum, 10 hours per day, five to six days per week. I have yet to have a burn in issue.
Exactly, burn in isn't the rampant "every set gets it" paranoia that some try and spread, but something that with simple steps can be minimized, and in some cases no work and it's still fine. The adjustments I made to decrease of burn in for my E6 were also parts of the adjustments to get a better looking picture, so win-win.

I will never say burn in can't or doesn't happen, in fact I'm pretty sure with a couple of setting changes AND some heavy watching of known burn in sources, I could make burn in happen ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
No it's not, and this thread proves it.
With simple paying attention to what you watch and tweaking a few settings one can all but eliminate the risk of burn-in, I have never had to babysit my E6 and it gets used every day for 4-6 hours a day. What I don't do is watch static news channel images for 18 hours a day.
For what it's worth, I moved my E6 into my office and connected a mac mini to it where I stream CNBC, FOX, CNN and another random channel, at a minimum, 10 hours per day, five to six days per week. I have yet to have a burn in issue.
The place to ask that question is the CX owners thread, not the E6 owners thread since they have probably moved there.
Even if someone has CX and put his opinion here it will never be good enough for you and you will prefer waiting for C11/C12 hits the market.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No it's not, and this thread proves it.
With simple paying attention to what you watch and tweaking a few settings one can all but eliminate the risk of burn-in, I have never had to babysit my E6 and it gets used every day for 4-6 hours a day. What I don't do is watch static news channel images for 18 hours a day.
My friend owned a 55E6P, 28 months old, completed about 5000 hours. Look at the pics attached. A case of severe Burn-In, Seen on screen almost all the time especially the logo at the bottom is quite noticeable from 10 feet distance.
Unfortunately its out of warranty so nothing can be done.
Now he has lost his faith in OLED and LG.
We done multiple comp cycle but nothing positive impact.
The TV looks even more terrible in person than the pics attached.
If you haven't met with Burn-in that does not mean it does not exist.
You cant deny the possibility.
The live example is in front of you(See the pics).
Can't argue more.
Thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you haven't met with Burn-in that does not mean it does not exist.
You cant deny the possibility.
The live example is in front of you(See the pics).
Can't argue more.
Thanks!
Sorry but your post shows you're not reading what I'm saying, I have NEVER said it's not possible or does not exist, in fact I even suggested I could generate burn in on a set if you want to donate one to me, what I'm saying is that one can minimize the chance of being affected by it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Exactly, burn in isn't the rampant "every set gets it" paranoia that some try and spread, but something that with simple steps can be minimized, and in some cases no work and it's still fine. The adjustments I made to decrease of burn in for my E6 were also parts of the adjustments to get a better looking picture, so win-win.

I will never say burn in can't or doesn't happen, in fact I'm pretty sure with a couple of setting changes AND some heavy watching of known burn in sources, I could make burn in happen ;)

This post is correct. BI is not rampant, or common or gauranteed. It is quite easily mitigated but the end user does have to adhere to some suggestions to avoid it. Its not much different from the plasma days and thats where many of us OLED owners came from. We get it. We know what to do with emissive displays and are willing to manage them as needed. Its not hard but it does requre some diligence. There are use cases where an OLED is a bad choice for a TV. Ive harped on thaat point since Day 1. For the average "Joe" that just wants to slap the TV over the fireplace or shove into the armoir to run cartoons all day for the kids? Nah. Bad idea. Or, another bad use case would be the cable news gang that watches CNN, MSNBC or any news channels with obnoxious logos & tickers plastered on the screen the whole time. Bad. Not recomended. Id also argue that heavy gamers should be extra careful or stay away but there arent a lot of reports of BI from gamers - most are from news channel watchers. Run your OLED light at reasonable levels and that helps too. Outsode of that? Just watch the TV and it'll be fine. Period. :)

So, for everyone else, which is a large portion of the population - go ahead and get an OLED. Best PQ available. And if your a video hobbyist or movie buff? My goodness....OLED is such an easy choice. There, that should settle it. :D

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
E6 with the AppleTV4K streamer?

If anybody here is running an E6 with the AppleTV4K streamer, I'd appreciate if you could drop me a private note. I don't want to clog the list with this. You can do this by clicking on my screen name at the left, and selecting that option.

I'm having a problem getting the ATV4K to put out REC2020 to the E6 on UHD HDR titles - it just won't do it, insists on REC709 only. If yours does put out REC2020 while playing UHD titles from Netflix, or Amazon, or Disney+, I'd like to know what your video settings on your ATV4K are. The Info button on your LG remote will show REC2020 if it's present, or nothing about color space if it's REC709.

I didn't realize this was an issue until I got an Nvidia Shield Pro last week, and noticed the colors on identical programs were more vivid and the variation of hues more subtle on it. Turns out, the Shield does put out REC2020 to the E6 on UHD content. Both are going through a Denon 4300 to the E6.

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
In general does a bigger tv need more light output to match the brightness of a smaller tv ? I’ve finally messed with some of the hdr bright and expert
Bright modes and man they pop so much more then the standards I’m thinking of
Leaving them on bright mode

And just to mention those struggling with motion turn off screen shift it has saved me
From upgrading to a lg c9 or cx for better motion .. no need now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
In general does a bigger tv need more light output to match the brightness of a smaller tv ? I’ve finally messed with some of the hdr bright and expert
Bright modes and man they pop so much more then the standards I’m thinking of
Leaving them on bright mode

And just to mention those struggling with motion turn off screen shift it has saved me
From upgrading to a lg c9 or cx for better motion .. no need now

If a 55 inch tv is outputting 200 nits, and a 77 inch tv is putting out 200 nits, The larger screen will fill the room with more light. Not any different than just having 1 pixel emitting 200 nits in a dark room compared to a full screen outputting 200 nits. The full screen will fill the room with light. So a larger screen would not need more light output to match a smaller screen if they both have similar full screen peak brightness. If fact, the larger screen may look brighter because the pixels are larger.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You guys don’t have a 77”

ROFL...:D
It has nothing to do with screen size. your mind might be creating illusion after turning screen shift off.
But motion can be worse on a 77 inches compared to 65 inches for panning shots.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My set is now showing 2200 hours completed but did not ask to perform 1 hr comp cycle. What should I do? Anybody plz help me. @wxman ???

P.S: Was out of town so don't know actually if TV asked to perform or not but I asked family members and they said no, TV did not ask anything...there was no msg on screen as per they said....

P.P.S: Had performed 1 hr cycle manually few months back when TV had completed around 700-800 hrs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My set is now showing 2200 hours completed but did not ask to perform 1 hr comp cycle. What should I do? Anybody plz help me. @wxman ???

P.S: Was out of town so don't know actually if TV asked to perform or not but I asked family members and they said no, TV did not ask anything...there was no msg on screen as per they said....

P.P.S: Had performed 1 hr cycle manually few months back when TV had completed around 700-800 hrs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ROFL...:D
It has nothing to do with screen size. your mind might be creating illusion after turning screen shift off.
But motion can be worse on a 77 inches compared to 65 inches for panning shots.

It’s working for me so I’m going to leave it as it is .

My dad said no more stupid tvs so I guess no cx upgrade for me :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
It’s working for me so I’m going to leave it as it is .

My dad said no more stupid tvs so I guess no cx upgrade for me :(

As I earlier suggested, keep G6 only if you watch 3D movies a lot otherwise sell it...m sure you will get good price for this 77 G6 as its a rare model...you can buy CX from that money....I don't think you will have to add extra money from your pocket....;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
My set is now showing 2200 hours completed but did not ask to perform 1 hr comp cycle. What should I do? Anybody plz help me. @wxman ??
I think from memory it doesn't ask, it just does it once the TV powers off and notifies you if it was interrupted for any reason (ie you hard power off or power the TV on when it's attempting to do it).

23361 - 23380 of 23479 Posts