AVS Forum banner

6501 - 6520 of 23456 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm can't get 4K UHD movies to play on my set even though I have several movies that state I own the UHD Version. It will only play in HDX- 1080P. I have even changed the playback quality default setting to start in UHD- 4K. Anyone else having this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
33,390 Posts
I just hit 200 hours and decided to do a band comparison on my E6. I honestly expected more of an improvement as I am still seeing this 1 band in real content (the one slightly to the right of center) on a regular basis. The band is not just near black, it can be seen with any 5% pattern up to 100% white to varying degrees, so any panning scene shows it.

Just to recap, the first photo was taken at 10 hours. Those bands did not exist after initial power on or after a manual 1hr compensation cycle. The next day when I turned the TV on, they were there and very noticeable in real content. The second photo is at 200 hours, as you can see there is some improvements but the worst band is still as vivid as ever.

I think I am going to give this another 100 hours and if there isn't an improvement to it, I am going to be calling LG. Going by other owner's 5% slides, this seems to be on the bottom tier of banding/uniformity.
You seem to have more pronounced banding than I do and I have more pronounced vignetting, but fewer 'teeth'. Then I look at my Sony 940c with a 5% slide and it's uniformity blows away any of the OLED pix I've seen.

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
Hi,
New to the forum and wanted to ask a simple question. Is there any difference in the picture quality between the G, E and B OLED models? We wanted to buy this set for my husband for Fathers Day and wasn't sure. Despite price we can go with the G, but if we can go with the B (aside from form factor and loss of 3D) we think he would be ok with that. He current has a 60" Sony SXRD that has given us 9+ years of beautiful picture quality and zero issues other than replacing the bulb once.

Thank you in advance. fr your help and insight
I would go with the B series if 3d isnt important. The core performance is going to be very close if not identical.

Reactions: Ken Ross

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh, I am sure there are differences in hardware. May just be with boards, but I also don't know if that means the G hardware is overall superior (again, once example being that I can enable all 4 HDMI ports for Ultra color on the E, but only 2 on the G; clearly there are hardware differences, and the G did ship prior to all other models.

Not trashing the G; I HAVE it. But the differences between G and E (and C).... I certainly don't think it's significant :)

The E and C look to have the same firmware versioning (03.15.10)

The G is on a seperate versioning (03.15.15)

If everything was exactly the same then why are E and C sharing firmware versioning and G is not. All are great TVs but there is a difference somewhere in working parts.. Maybe the E and C just happen to have different firmware with similar versioning numbers.

The cloud of uncertainty about what may be different is something I'd rather not live with.. If it means a waste of $2000 to ensure no performance suprises later, so be it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are a few posts about handshake issues with Pioneer Elite receivers. I myself have the SC-95, and I have handshake issues with a number of devices (Samsung UHD8500, Roku4) to the LG G. This got markedly (!) worse after the recent firmware upgrade to the TV!

Plugging things directly into the TV, everything works perfectly; so there seems to be some issues with how the handshake 'goes through' from x to some Pioneer Receivers to the TV, at least for now....

OK - thx - I'll try this tomorrow. my UHD IP-TV Box is having HDMI Problems with the Pioneer SC-LX79, thats why I'll connected on HDMI 1.
I'll try to change the settings as mentioned, as AV Sync is for sure on now.

I'm pretty sure, that it only starts after around 4 hours of watching.
Someone mentioned, that I can see how many hours the TV is running. Is a service remote needed to get these infos, as I could not found anything under "about this TV"

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So are only Dolby Vision 4K movies on Vudu?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Pretty sure Drew was employing some sarcasm there. No idea what we're looking at. Pixels?
I think it maybe sun light coming from the window behind the TV. Now the blinds are closed and the sun is not so bright the lights are no longer there

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
The FW on the E6 and G6 are different. The big difference is that the FW for the G6 is only applicable to the G6. The FW on the E6 is also used by these 2016 LG tv's. There was some talk over on AVForums that the E and G handle near blacks better than the B6. The 2 point and 20 point are more precise on the E and G series. Whereas the B6 may see a change with just one or 2 clicks, it takes about 3 or 4 clicks on the E and G models to change as much.

86UH9500-UA
65UH9500-UA
75UH8500-UD
65UH8500-UA
60UH8500-UA
55UH8500-UA
75UH6550-UB
OLED65E6P-U
OLED55E6P-U
OLED65C6P-U
OLED55C6P-U

·
Registered
95 Posts
Which is what i thought and exactly opposite of what the VUDU guy said.

I called them to figure out how to get a movie i already bought in 1080 and then bought in 4K redeemed as 4K. I keep getting punted and it says: you already own this movie and then won't redeem the code.

Once my E Series shows up i will try and call back out there.

Thanks and if anyone has redeemed multiple copies let me know the trick.

Thanks
I own Deadpool, Independence Day, and Ghostbusters on UHD Blu-ray and my digital copies are just HDX on Vudu.

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
Checked out the updated VUDU app and it does play UHD Dolby Vision now. Very nice.
I'm on family vacation until Friday afternoon, I'm away from my OLED.. I could cry.

Reactions: fhschellenberg

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would get the E (and I have the G). The 3D is amazing and will make a believer out of you, even if you didn't like active or passive 3D prior.
Not sure I would get the G again over the E (differences only cosmetic and sound bar)

I would go with the B series if 3d isnt important. The core performance is going to be very close if not identical.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I own Deadpool, Independence Day, and Ghostbusters on UHD Blu-ray and my digital copies are just HDX on Vudu.
I don't believe VUDU has those movies available in UHD.

None of my HDX movies or movie codes are upgradable to UHD. Have others had luck doing this or just speculating.

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
I certainly don't think it's significant :)
I believe this.. I went into BB on a mission to score a E6.. LG is placing a thin film of OLED display into casing.. I envision the OLED film is mass produced and put into all TVs.. The G allows more of the effect that a pencil thick display from the side view produces a picture like that from the front.. The amazingness of it all is worth the extra duckets.

6501 - 6520 of 23456 Posts