AVS Forum banner

10441 - 10460 of 23448 Posts

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
This is not the right thread for this so just think about it your own, preferably with a calculator.
You need to think about this on your own, and preferably without the calculator. Why? Because you're 1. Becoming confused by what the math means, and 2. Missing the point of how insurance is a small front-loaded payment to stave off the potential for a much larger trailing payment.

Not the definite prediction of disaster. What you're paying for is a buffer against the potential for disaster.The Potential. If it were about staving off something guaranteed to happen, then you'd be right: A warranty is a crummy savings plan.

Now since you keep missing this point, best of luck and be well, and I think I'll abandon further attempts here.

You're still missing the point. The reason for buying insurance, warrantees, etc. is to cover unexpected financial burdens that you can't or don't want to cover yourself out of pocket.
Correct. And your later point (snipped out by me) is also spot on: Whether or not a warranty is "worth it" is hardly a given, so all of this conversation does hinge upon the price of this peace of mind weighed against the potential cost later.

·
Registered
804 Posts
In my experience, electronics often have a burn in period to sound or look their best. I know my Sony 950b took 50 or so hours to snap in. Do you guys find a similar effect on these OLED panels? Thanks. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I question if SqareTrade even offers coverage for TVs that cost that high. I don't want to have to bother convincing SquareTrade that their recommended replacement set is not of similar pedigree to the one they're replacing. That's why I paid 5 times as much for a Mack Warranty. I have purchased them in the past and have yet to file a claim. We'll see in due time if that changes and if they provide a superior experience.
All I know is that I registered and SquareTrade accepted my purchase invoice for a 65" G6 and charged me the $89 for the warranty. I assume that I now have a valid contract.

You can read their full terms and conditions here:

http://www.costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSBCCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/Costco+SquareTrade-TC-2016.pdf

Here are a couple of relevant excerpts:

Coverage Amount:
The purchase price of the Covered Product.

Defective Pixels:
We will match the manufacturer’s warranty for the Term of Your Protection Plan.

When I researched the reports of customers online about how well they were treated by SquareTrade when they actually needed warranty service there were lots of positive experiences.

I almost always self-insure since electronic equipment usually fails within the first year, or even the first month, and my AMEX card gives me a free extended warranty. But at $89, the cost/benefit ratio seemed pretty good.

The cost of replacing a 65" OLED display panel might be kind of high.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
In my experience, electronics often have a burn in period to sound or look their best. I know my Sony 950b took 50 or so hours to snap in. Do you guys find a similar effect on these OLED panels? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
My calibrator Wont calibrate any Oled before 300 hours usage.

Reactions: tgm1024

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
All I know is that I registered and SquareTrade accepted my purchase invoice for a 65" G6 and charged me the $89 for the warranty. I assume that I now have a valid contract.

You can read their full terms and conditions here:

http://www.costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSBCCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/Costco+SquareTrade-TC-2016.pdf

Defective Pixels:
We will match the manufacturer’s warranty for the Term of Your Protection Plan.
Don't expect much help from them if you have pixel issues other than major issues. From LG's own warranty info included with the tv:

Concerning pixel functionality: Your LCD/LED/OLED television contains hundreds of thousands of individual pixels. LCD/LED/OLED displays typically contain a small number of pixels that do not function normally. Your display has been inspected and is in compliance with manufacturer's specifications, indicating that any pixel defects do not effect the operation or use of your display.

Now the real question is will LG fix if the stuck pixel occurs AFTER it was inspected, and occurs months into ownership.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Huh. Good to know.
Im a slight guinny pig ,my G6 was calibrated at 100h usage in 4k and HDR. It will be calibrated fully the 12-13 september and then looked at to see If it has shifted on colurs n settings used now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think these tvs have to be running for 4 hours straight to run the auto cycle. i watched mine last night, then this morning for a hour and it ran one.
Cool, can you show me how to check if if ran the auto comp?

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
The hours adds up used the tv 2h one day you only need 2 more the next to do the auto one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you switch it off via remote and still see a red LED emanating through the USB/HDMI ports, you will know it's running. Once the cycle is over, that LED will shut off.
Thanks, how long typically it takes for it to switch off the LED after tv has been turned off?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
@wxman: At approximately how many hours did your green subpixel become manic?
Right around 400 hours. I will find out tomorrow what BB has to "officially" say when the tech comes out. I will be covering a few windows with thick blankets to make the room nice and dark, which will make that stuck pixel really stick out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Follow the LG instructions and it's dead easy as well as safe.
YES, just follow the instructions that are both on the box and one side of the white thin foam bag that is around the whole TV. DO NOT remove that bag as that prevents damage to the front of the panel. Two other considerations. The instructions also show that you should take two of the Styrofoam protectors and insert them into the box at its corners. This is to make sure the box does not collapse and put the wrong pressure on the panel. Lastly some people said they laid it down on its back. I would NOT recommend doing that as that would present an uneven load to the panel and could cause damage.

The bottom line is just follow the instructions and USE TWO PEOPLE. I was going to try to lay it down flat myself but was way too concerned about putting uneven pressure on the panel. I got one of my neighbors to help and it took all of 10 minutes including him helping me lift it on to its table.

And yes you should remove that film on the back of the panel and if you take your time and exert mild but steady pressure it will come off with no problem.

I hope everyone enjoys their E6 as much as I am enjoying mine!!!

Gerry

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The bottom line is just follow the instructions and USE TWO PEOPLE. I was going to try to lay it down flat myself but was way too concerned about putting uneven pressure on the panel. I got one of my neighbors to help and it took all of 10 minutes including him helping me lift it on to its table.
It only takes one person for the 55" OLEDs. I put two couch cushions on a table, laid the TV face down, pulled off the cellophane stuff on the back, and installed the stand in about five minutes. I only needed a second person for wall mounting later on.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Warrantees

Hi ALL,

The BB warrantee is actually quite good. Two TVs ago I had it on my Sony SXRD rear projector which developed a common problem with them in that the optical engine failed. It was replaced 3 times and even that last one failed which made a total of 4 repairs for the same problem and the provision kicked in to get credit for a replacement TV. My contract actually said the credit "could" be prorated and it was up to BB's discretion. It turns out they gave me full credit and at the time Pioneer was getting out of the TV business and BB gave me a great price on a Kuro 151 and a new warrantee.

However, all of the above being said their price for that great warrantee is WAY too high. So for my brand spanking new E6 I just opted for the Square Trade warrantee. Probably not the best but its better than nothing and I'm not a member of Costco so it cost me all of $5 more and I have a total of 4 years of coverage: 1 year from LG and 3 years from ST.

Gerry

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have recently built a 65e6 and a 65b6 for my work (electronic retailer) and we followed the directions on the packaging. Putting the packaging inside the box and then laying the telly down on it. The most concerning part was how unstable the telly was on the base (the e6)

10441 - 10460 of 23448 Posts