AVS Forum banner

15161 - 15180 of 23448 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok, I just setup my brand new E6. I had the B6 and exchanged it for the E6 because I was able to get one for the same price as the B6. I ran some banding test patterns and I attached an image of my TV's output at the 5% pattern. my B6 looked 10 times better than this. No banding at all. The E6 not only has banding but it looks like a dirty panel with blobs of dark areas. Does the TV need to be broken in? The serial begins with 606 (June 2016) but the box ID starts with a 603. I heard builds 603 and 604 have major banding issues but what number do I go by to know if mine is one of these builds? The serial or the box ID. Strange I get a June 16 serial and it's the end of December. Thing has been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months? I've read something about an "auto comp cycle" helps reduce banding? What is that? Also read that some have had the banding go away after extensive use?
You said you got this e6 for a b6 price? This right here is a red flag. The fact the serial numbers dont match up either is a big indicator. Return this set asap! Sounds like you got a store return from someone who didnt haven their original box and swaped out just the tv. That big dark spot is bad at that 5% ire. My dark spot only shows on 4% or less. Every e6 i have exchanged (3) had a darkening effect somewhere in the screen unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions bob!

I am sitting directly in front of the tv dead center with the screen on a couch about 9 1/2 ft away from the set. Unfortunately the room the tv is in will not allow me to move the seating position any further back. So this would explain the double imaging at the very sides. Anyone else limited to sitting this close to the tv and have the same effect?

What could be causing the image shift every 2mins? Its hard to explain but its like the tv is alternating the image for 3d im guessing.

It sounds like your right in the seating "sweet spot". For HD (1080p) viewing on a 65" set, you should be 9ft from set. For UHD viewing, they say you should be 6ft away to see the UHD detail (which sounds ridiculously close). http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok, I just setup my brand new E6. I had the B6 and exchanged it for the E6 because I was able to get one for the same price as the B6. I ran some banding test patterns and I attached an image of my TV's output at the 5% pattern. my B6 looked 10 times better than this. No banding at all. The E6 not only has banding but it looks like a dirty panel with blobs of dark areas. Does the TV need to be broken in? The serial begins with 606 (June 2016) but the box ID starts with a 603. I heard builds 603 and 604 have major banding issues but what number do I go by to know if mine is one of these builds? The serial or the box ID. Strange I get a June 16 serial and it's the end of December. Thing has been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months? I've read something about an "auto comp cycle" helps reduce banding? What is that? Also read that some have had the banding go away after extensive use?
The box ID is not the same thing as the serial number.
I just went and looked at my box, and that is a different, unrelated number.

The serial number should also be listed on the same tag on the box and match the one on the set.

I don't recommend evaluating your 5% or lower slides until you have at least 4 hours on the set and have turned it off once after 4 hours to let it run a compensation cycle. It will run automatically upon shutdown after every 4 hours of ON time. You can look down the vent in the back and see if the optical port is still lit up after turning off- that's how you know it's running.
I'd also run at least one manual cycle after getting some more hours on the set. (hold down settings button, go to bottom of page and select OLED PANEL SETTINGS - Clear Panel Noise, and set it to run and leave the set alone for an hour).

My set didn't look great right out of the box but after running it's first compensation cycle it was nearly flawless and continued to improve upon subsequent runs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It sounds like your right in the seating "sweat spot". For HD (1080p) viewing on a 65" set, you should be 9ft from set. For UHD viewing, they say you should be 6ft away to see the UHD detail (which sounds ridiculously close). http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
I agree 6 ft is ridiculous! Maybe 8ft minimum but not that close. I wish could test this 11ft distance out to see if my issue disappears but I would have to relocate the tv to another room temporarily and hopefully not make the wife mad :-/

Anyone willing to sit 8 to 10 ft away from their set and see if their set has this double image/ghosting effect on the sides? Pretty please ;-)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree 6 ft is ridiculous! Maybe 8ft minimum but not that close. I wish could test this distance out to see if my issue disappears but I would have to relocate to another room temporarily and hopefully not make the wife mad :-/ anyone willing to sit 8 to 10 ft away from their set and see if their set has this double image/ghosting effect on the sides? Pretty please ;-)
I normally sit 8 feet away from my set and the sides are fine for 3D. But my bottom several inches have crosstalk unless I sit up very straight - ie eyes just above midline on the TV.

I would bet that, beyond some really messed up 3D settings, any consistent crosstalk across content is related to a misaligned filter.
Happened with a lot, but not all of the EF series too. My EF had flawless 3D, but many others had the same ghosting I have now on the bottom of their screens.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
We're no longer stuck with 720p and 3Mbps video.
Unless we're using Plex on a TiVo...
Fortunately plex is builtin to the LG!

History seemingly keeps repeating when new formats are introduced, but the difference now is that streaming is a serious contender. We're no longer stuck with 720p and 3Mbps video.
I wouldn't say that 4k streaming is a "serious contender" when comparing to 4k Bluray...

Link to an article I was reading earlier today about that very subject:

http://www.whathifi.com/features/4k-streaming-vs-4k-blu-ray-vs-blu-ray-which-best

According to them, steaming 4k is still no comparison to disc-based 4k in terms of quality....

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
I was comparing to cable and ota. Until the broadcasters and providers catchup, streaming has an advantage they may be able to leverage.

edit:

I just went back and read the whathifi review and noticed they tested HDR from a UHD-BR but not from a streaming service, so, the article is kind of dated at this point when we can watch Dolby Vision HDR content via streaming services, but still can't buy a UHD-BR player that supports it or media. Oppo says their just released player will support DV, but we'll see.

HDR10 may be receiving new features that will let it catchup with DV, but will those be upgrades? Or will we need new TVs, new UHD-BD discs, and a new player?

Still a lot of stuff to shake out in the market.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Run the comp cycles as others have pointed out. My E6 was very good right out of the box but has since become even better with some use & a few cycles. It'll be fine for ya, me thinks. :)

You said you got this e6 for a b6 price? This right here is a red flag. The fact the serial numbers dont match up either is a big indicator. Return this set asap! Sounds like you got a store return from someone who didnt haven their original box and swaped out just the tv. That big dark spot is bad at that 5% ire. My dark spot only shows on 4% or less. Every e6 i have exchanged (3) had a darkening effect somewhere in the screen unfortunately.
I also scored an E6 for the price of the B6 - actually even lower. I got super lucky and Best Buy had to match Office Depots price which on the E6 was absurd. So, a low price doesnt always mean trouble. ;)

I agree 6 ft is ridiculous! Maybe 8ft minimum but not that close. I wish could test this 11ft distance out to see if my issue disappears but I would have to relocate the tv to another room temporarily and hopefully not make the wife mad :-/

Anyone willing to sit 8 to 10 ft away from their set and see if their set has this double image/ghosting effect on the sides? Pretty please ;-)
Me and my bro watched IMAX Deep Blue Sea last night in 3D from about 10 feet away and didnt see any issues. The 3D on that disc is really solid. Great for demos.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Love my E6. About the only thing I can complain about is the AV Sync issues. It can be pretty bad at times. Even in the best of circumstances, it's always there. Just some times it's close enough that I can ignore it.

Really appreciate the HDR Game mode update, but I'm hoping that this is something that they fix in a future update.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The box ID is not the same thing as the serial number.
I just went and looked at my box, and that is a different, unrelated number.

The serial number should also be listed on the same tag on the box and match the one on the set.

I don't recommend evaluating your 5% or lower slides until you have at least 4 hours on the set and have turned it off once after 4 hours to let it run a compensation cycle. It will run automatically upon shutdown after every 4 hours of ON time. You can look down the vent in the back and see if the optical port is still lit up after turning off- that's how you know it's running.
I'd also run at least one manual cycle after getting some more hours on the set. (hold down settings button, go to bottom of page and select OLED PANEL SETTINGS - Clear Panel Noise, and set it to run and leave the set alone for an hour).

My set didn't look great right out of the box but after running it's first compensation cycle it was nearly flawless and continued to improve upon subsequent runs.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. So the build number folks were talking about earlier that have bad banding relate to 603 and 604 serial numbers and NOT box ID number?

I will be patient with this set as you suggest and hopefully the panel will improve.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts

Yes. Office Depot had the E6 on sale for 3K and Best Buy price matched. It wasn't easy, they weren't going to price match at first. I had to speak with a couple of managers and they had to contact their General manager for final approval. The set is legit and was in fact brand new. I checked the TV information menu and it had 1 hour logged which was how long I had it on. I'll give the set some time before and if I exchange it but it sounds like I will get one with the same symptoms regardless. I used a flashlight to inspect the glass and screen from scratches and it's flawless so that also makes me want to keep it. My B6 had a slight scuff on the screen that I couldn't un-see! Cheers!

·
Registered
113 Posts

Yes. Office Depot had the E6 on sale for 3000k and Best Buy price matched. It wasn't easy, they weren't going to price match at first. I had to speak with a couple of managers and they had to contact their General manager for final approval. The set is legit and was in fact brand new. I checked the TV information menu and it had 1 hour logged which was how long I had it on. I'll give the set some time before and if I exchange it but it sounds like I will get one with the same symptoms regardless. I used a flashlight to inspect the glass and screen from scratches and it's flawless so that also makes me want to keep it. My B6 had a slight scuff on the screen that I couldn't un-see! Cheers!
You have me wanting to do a return on my set and pricematch the e6 to office depot now. I originally purchased mine in september at $4999 and two weeks later it went down to $4500 and pricematched it to best buy policy. Then it went down to $4299 and finally its been steady at $3999. For you to have gotten it at $3000 is amazing!

My 4th set has 6 hairline scratches (2 inches long each) on the screen near both sides from the "handlers" at the factory being careless with their jewelery im sure thats how they got there. This issue and also with a possible misaligned 3d filter has got me itching to do a return hmmm.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,429 Posts
I normally sit 8 feet away from my set and the sides are fine for 3D. But my bottom several inches have crosstalk unless I sit up very straight - ie eyes just above midline on the TV.

I would bet that, beyond some really messed up 3D settings, any consistent crosstalk across content is related to a misaligned filter.
Happened with a lot, but not all of the EF series too. My EF had flawless 3D, but many others had the same ghosting I have now on the bottom of their screens.
The Spears & Munsil v2, Blu-ray, calibration disc has a very nice chart called Positioning in their 3D charts section. (Be sure to go into the disc's Setup menu and enable 3D output.) With that chart it is easy to see if you are properly resolving 3D to all 4 corners.

These sets really are sensitive to pointing for 3D, and the closer you sit the more sensitive they are.

As I posted above, LG's recommendation is that you sit twice the diagonal size of the OLED TV away from the TV for proper 3D viewing.

On the 65" panel, that means at least 11 feet back.
--Bob

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It sounds like your right in the seating "sweat spot".
Never put your chair under the heating duct. :D

For HD (1080p) viewing on a 65" set, you should be 9ft from set. For UHD viewing, they say you should be 6ft away to see the UHD detail (which sounds ridiculously close). http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
At 9-11 feet from a good 65" UHD set with a nice upscaler, well over 90% of people would not be able to tell whether they are watching 1080 or UHD material. This has been repeatedly demonstrated. Hence the 6 foot recommendation.

Watching Mozart on Amazon, which always starts off streaming at 1080p, then shifts up to UHD if it finds enough bandwidth, and sitting 11 feet from my 65E, I have to concentrate to see the transition, and sometimes I miss it. The images look remarkably similar to me, and I deal with camera original 1080p and UHD footage almost daily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have me wanting to do a return on my set and pricematch the e6 to office depot now. I originally purchased mine in september at $4999 and two weeks later it went down to $4500 and pricematched it to best buy policy. Then it went down to $4299 and finally its been steady at $3999. For you to have gotten it at $3000 is amazing!

My 4th set has 6 hairline scratches (2 inches long each) on the screen near both sides from the "handlers" at the factory being careless with their jewelery im sure thats how they got there. This issue and also with a possible misaligned 3d filter has got me itching to do a return hmmm.
Wow, 4 sets? I thought my OCD was bad :) But you have legit problems now. That sucks.

I heard about Office Depot selling them for 3K so I kept monitoring their website but they were always sold out. I checked yesterday around 7am and they had them in stock which is a requirement for Best Buy to even consider a price match. So i printed the AD and went to BB at 8am. There were some fireworks but they ended up price matching it for me. After purchase, I checked OD website and they were all sold out again. So I lucked out!

·
Registered
113 Posts

Wow, 4 sets? I thought my OCD was bad. But you have legit problems now. That sucks.

I heard about Office Depot selling them for 3K so I kept monitoring their website but they were always sold out. I checked yesterday around 7am and they had them in stock which is a requirement for Best Buy to even consider a price match. So i printed the AD and went to BB at 8am. There were some fireworks but they ended up price matching it for me. After purchase, I checked OD website and they were all sold out again. So I lucked out!
Call it ocd, I call it lg's lack of quality control and cheap labor used down in mexico to make these tvs. If you look up my original thread, "vignetting issues with my 65E6P", you will see pics on how bad my july build set was. I came very close to the end of my return policy because I was clueless about this issue on these oled panles. Other sets had dead pixels up to 5 on one set.

Consider yourself blessed you got it at your current OD price point. At that price I could easily overlook some of these issues.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Same issue here. 55E6. If I bump the res down to 1080p no sparkles. Tried 3 different 4K rated cables. You can see the sparkles really well when you set the brightness in COD.
Also no sparkles when I turn deep color off on the E6 at 4K

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply and yup; tried different cables as well (and am connected directly to the TV). For now, since I think it looks better with Full RGB off anyway, I think that's my fix. It's gotta be some sort of weird handshake thing with everything on; hopefully either Sony or LG can eventually patch out a fix. As I mentioned, I haven't noticed this (yet) with actual 4K HDR titles, but haven't played enough to say for sure (only one I have right now is Deus Ex).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Rgb from Ps4 pro chrushes blacks on oleds use the other setting. :cool:
Good to know thanks, and yeah, it's just not a little crush. For example, for Vader, you can barely see any subtle detail at all. So for those games, Limited is definitely the best fix (which looks great).

·
Registered
856 Posts
White sparklies are almost always a result of the error correction that is built into the digital video stream breaking down because of too many errors to correct - it's a sign that the signal is close to falling off the cliff.

Typical causes are bad or low quality cables that are incapable of handling the bandwidth being pushed through them, corroded connectors, cables that are too long for the amount of signal being pushed through them, an AVR incapable of properly handling 4K, things like that. Almost always some physical issue.

I've had excellent luck with Monoprice's 18gb/s rated passive cables, but I've also kept all runs to 10 feet or less.
This is interesting information, but unfortunately most of this has been ruled out in this case. I've tried a few cables, including the one that comes with the PS4 Pro and a premium 4K cable (not monoprice, but very well reviewed) with the same results. There's no corrosion as everything is new and in good shape. Cables are fairly short. This is direct to TV - no AVR involved. Finally, it seems content specific (I'll verify that by playing more 4K games using HDR when I get a chance, but I didn't notice any of this in Deus Ex so far), and the title I've noticed it on so far isn't even 4K. I really appreciate your input, though at the moment I can't think of much else that could be a physical cause. (I have wondered if for some reason, the PS4 Pro is sending the wrong color information for that specific game hence the errors, but that's a very wild guess on my part...).

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
G6 Oled tv...

Winner of the good design award 2016 on tvs.
76 judges 429 contrys.

15161 - 15180 of 23448 Posts