AVS Forum banner

15441 - 15460 of 23448 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Yeah I am pleased that its not one of the worse panels that I have seen pictures off.
Sadly I am quite annoyed with the black crush issue.
I'm in the same boat, i simply cannot find the right settings to get blacks to look correct across the board. I think it may be just something we have to live with.
Guys - have you checked out the "enahnce black details" thread? I can hopefully help with your issue. It IS possible to alleviate a good amount of the black crush using IRE luminance adjustments if you havent tried already. I have settings posted in that thread that others have used and been pleased with. I can post them again in a little while but you could look at that thread to find them. Try somewhere pages 28-32....

Ill post them here soon though again. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks pretty common like the rest of our e6s. Do a few manual comp cycles to see if that dark spot on the bottom goes away. The vignetting is pretty good until you get to 4%. I went through 3 e6s and on my 4th I have decided that there will be some form of vignetting regardless of how many I would exchange.

Now I did have two e6s that had anywhere from 3 to 5 dead pixels throughtout the screen and that also drove me nuts and I exchanged them.

Unfortunately my 4th panel was scratched on various places near the sides from the careless handlers/packers at the mexico plant. I cant see them unless you shine a bright light on them at an angle. Waiting on best buy to offer me a 15% discount on my $4500 purchase.

So regardless you can keep exchanging and wind up with some sort of defect :-/
Yeah i'm keeping it, however it is A G6 and not an E6. For some reason i had more luck with my first E6 than the rest 3 G6s.
I should have kept the E6 when it first came out but i thought the G6 would a significant step up.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Guys - have you checked out the "enahnce black details" thread? I can hopefully help with your issue. It IS possible to alleviate a good amount of the black crush using IRE luminance adjustments if you havent tried already. I have settings posted in that thread that others have used and been pleased with. I can post them again in a little while but you could look at that thread to find them. Try somewhere pages 28-32....

Ill post them here soon though again. :)
Thanks

Yes I have tried that.
On Outcast Season 1 blu ray this did not help much. Maybe bad source.
I will get Alien Blu ray out later and test with that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One thing I notice is that when folks posts slide shots what gamma do folks have things at? I have been at BT.1886 when I take my pictures. If I up it to say 2.2 which most folks here seem to be at after calibration, it hides more of the dark spots.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I understand your frustration, but I don't think a high-price TV will necessarily have higher quality (like automobiles and many other electronics). You might get special customer service for paying more.

Another myth is that a newer build date must mean a better picture. Should we start a list of myths? :)
It is supposed to be higher quality with higher quality control since it is their signature model, that is to be expected from signature models from any brand.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey guys,

A question about firmware. My Philippines E6 is on 04.30.04 and won't find an update when ran from the set. I can download the latest version from the LG Philippines website which is version 04.30.95. However, does that version include the HDR Game mode fix in 04.30.19? Because the changelog on LG Philippines just skips that version all together, like it didn't exist/wasn't released here :/

Philippines
View attachment 1874649

USA
View attachment 1874657

Many thanks.
Yes it does include HDR game mode fix, i too couldn't get it detected from the tv update and had to download it onto a usb and update it that way.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Thanks

Yes I have tried that.
On Outcast Season 1 blu ray this did not help much. Maybe bad source.
I will get Alien Blu ray out later and test with that.
You still feel the set has crush & lack of detail with that content then? Did you happen to try other gamma ranges or additional luminence tweaks? The adjustments are pretty subtle, I have found. Could be source but most blu-ray transfers *should* be pretty good.

One thing I notice is that when folks posts slide shots what gamma do folks have things at? I have been at BT.1886 when I take my pictures. If I up it to say 2.2 which most folks here seem to be at after calibration, it hides more of the dark spots.
My dark room settings - and that means DARK room as in no extraneous light other than equipment lights/readouts uses gamma BT1886. My bright room settings which is basically any other environment uses 2.2. Here are my dark room settings just for the hell of it:

Expert Dark Room
OLED Light - 50
Contrast - 84
Brightness - 51
Color/Tint - 50/0(no changes)
H & V sharpness - 10/10(no change)

Color Gamut - Normal
Gamma - BT1886

ALL enhancements & options OFF

20 point White Balance IRE adjustments:
IRE 5 = +10
IRE 10 = +9
IRE 15 = +8
IRE 20 = +7
IRE 25 = +6
IRE 30 = +5
IRE 35 = +4
IRE 40 = +3
IRE 45 = +2
IRE 50 = +1

IRE 55 through 100 = NO changes

I set brightness initially in a dark room with adjusted vision. I used the AVS Cal disc brightness bar patterns. After setting brightness, I then did the manual tweaks to the luminance settings. Is it perfect? Not at all - but its a solid balance between deep, inky blacks and decent shadow detail. Ive watched a lot of known content using these settings and Im pretty happy with them. Each TV is different so I do encourage everyone to take the time and set yours up the way YOU like it. Try content you are very familiar with after making changes and that will help you determine whats best for you & your viewing room.

I realize that "near" black on my OLED will NEVER be as good as it was on my plasmas and maybe even some high-end LCDs out there. But, pure black is way better! Tradeoffs have to be made with any TV. Im hapy with the near black performance of my set as it sits right now. Not everyone will be. I do know that everything Ive watched on this TV looks better than it ever has. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
So how many people are going to be joining us since the 2017 models only offer "up to 10%" peak brightness in certain situations and no longer have 3D capability?
All 2017 Oleds will have ultra luminance technology with 25% more brightness in HDR over the 2016 line up. Also 2 new extra HDR formats, HLG and advanced technicolor HDR.
Those formats along with dolby atmos will be the best experience you can get at home, an ultimate power house.

·
Banned
81 Posts
You still feel the set has crush & lack of detail with that content then? Did you happen to try other gamma ranges or additional luminence tweaks? The adjustments are pretty subtle, I have found. Could be source but most blu-ray transfers *should* be pretty good.
I only increased 5% IRE and nothing else.
I currently got gamma set to BT 1.8666 but I usually watch TV in a dim lit room not pitch dark.
Maybe I will switch to 2.2 and lower brightness and re do the IRE.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just read this article on HDMI and it states that HDMI 2.1 in some instances can be done via firmware, it depends on what the manufacturer used. This very interesting,I hope LG updates all of the 2016 OLEDS if possible. If they do not we should push for it. The article did say that all of the equipment has to be HDMI 2.1 but there is a wiggle room probable meaning that the receiver could be bypassed like people are currently doing with 4k UHD players.

http://www.cepro.com/article/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hdr_4k120hz

·
Registered
228 Posts
My dark room settings - and that means DARK room as in no extraneous light other than equipment lights/readouts uses gamma BT1886. My bright room settings which is basically any other environment uses 2.2. Here are my dark room settings just for the hell of it:

Expert Dark Room
OLED Light - 50
Contrast - 84
Brightness - 51
Color/Tint - 50/0(no changes)
H & V sharpness - 10/10(no change)
Gamma - BT1886

ALL enhancements & options OFF

2 point White Balance IRE adjustments:
IRE 5 = +10
IRE 10 = +9
IRE 15 = +8
IRE 20 = +7
IRE 25 = +6
IRE 30 = +5
IRE 35 = +4
IRE 40 = +3
IRE 45 = +2
IRE 50 = +1

IRE 55 through 100 = NO changes
I'm trying to give your settings a go, but a couple of questions...

What is your colour gamut? Also, selecting 2 point for Method under White Balance doesn't then allow me to adjust the individual IRE's as per your post. What should Pattern and Point be set to?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

What is your colour gamut? Also, selecting 2 point for Method under White Balance doesn't then allow me to adjust the individual IRE's as per your post. What should Pattern and Point be set to?

Thanks
Color gamut I believe is normal I could be wrong and select the 20 point part that's where u can adjust ire

·
Registered
2,562 Posts

Thanks
Sorry - I did mean 20 point! My bad.

Color gamut I believe is normal I could be wrong and select the 20 point part that's where u can adjust ire
Correct on both :)

I updated my initial post with corrections!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't really care about the opinion of someone who didn't fork out $8k for one of these. There is a certain expectation of excellence that is *not* being met.
Exactly, I'd never pay retail. :)

My E6 is great and I'm pretty OCD. My points are:

1. How many months have some of you been going round and round on this? How much aggravation is it worth for something not visible in most cases in any content?

2. Why should LG/BBY whoever continue swapping panels ad infinitum for you? At some point it's not worth it to them and they should just give you a refund - their product is incapable of meeting your expectations so both parties should move on.

Enjoy your set, it's great, actually :laugh:

Reactions: dpippel

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Exactly. It's a merry go round every year. Once the new product comes its the holy grail until the following year
Yep - I used to play that game but not anymore. Luckily, I am very happy with my 2016 65" E6. Its everything I want out of a TV. I got a good panel and really couldnt be happier. All set for a while. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dude... i pay 500$ Extra each time i make an exchange so by now... on my 4rth set, i'm almost 10,000$ in for a 65G6. It's not like i am happy i am exchanging them and paying all that cash but i had major issues with each and everyone one of those sets.
This is not about being picky and i know perfectly well there is no such thing as a perfect TV... but hell if i'm gonna pay 8,000$ Like i did for my first set at the beginning and keep it when it was obvious it had major flaws.
I can't imagine that you are, I just find it tough to believe that after 4 sets you still can't find one you're happy with, you're throwing good money after bad and causing yourself tons of grief in the process.

I would push for a refund and move on to another product.

It pains me to see what some of you all are putting yourselves through, I'm very familiar with this sort of vortex and it's hard to escape from.

15441 - 15460 of 23448 Posts