AVS Forum banner

15481 - 15500 of 23448 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sony Panasonic Phillips Uses Lg Oled panels. Only other ones are BOE that skyworth and other brands will use.

What Grundig uses i dont remember
Thanks.

Everyone's different of course but for me if I was in the market for an OLED I would probably bag the 2017 and wait for Super Bowl sales and pick up an E6P.

You get 3D and LG has announced they're bringing HLG HDR to the 2016 line and I think I read they said they can update HDMI to 2.1 on the 2016 sets as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good to hear the 2016 models will support HLG with a FW update according to LG at CES. That is good news! You can hear his response near the 3:45 mark.

I'm hoping they upgrade the 2016 models to pass ATMOS over ARC has they are saying the 2017s will be able to do it.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
After reading all this, all I can say is that you should have purchased your set from Value Electronics and got their burn in and calibration package. Robert could have sent you a picture of the screen and you could have pre approved it before shipment. :D
Are you sure that he offers that option?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
One thing I notice is that when folks posts slide shots what gamma do folks have things at? I have been at BT.1886 when I take my pictures. If I up it to say 2.2 which most folks here seem to be at after calibration, it hides more of the dark spots.
How did you determine "most" folks use 2.2 after calibration (firstly, I am sure those who actually self-calibrate are in the minority; secondly, 2.4/BT.1886 are better suited for dark viewing)? My photos are also taken with BT.1886.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing I notice is that when folks posts slide shots what gamma do folks have things at? I have been at BT.1886 when I take my pictures. If I up it to say 2.2 which most folks here seem to be at after calibration, it hides more of the dark spots.
Good observation! I too wondered what peoples gamma settings are at when they post pics of the slides. If i have my gamma set at 1886 or 2.4 i have a blackhole of a dark spot near the center right. Only when i bring it up to 2.2 it becomes more uniform and my set doesnt crush blacks as bad. I also have brightness set to 55 which also helps alleviate the uniformity issues more in conjuction with gamma 2.2.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good to hear the 2016 models will support HLG with a FW update according to LG at CES. That is good news! You can hear his response near the 3:45 mark.

This is all I needed to hear. Only other thing to know for sure is if DV can pass through HDMI. Other than that, they can keep their 2017 lineup lol

Oh yea...And someone needs to get a hold of LG, Sony and Samsung's 4K demos they're showing....I'd really like to see how Samsung's church, stain glass demo looks on my E6 :p

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Exactly, I'd never pay retail. :)

My E6 is great and I'm pretty OCD. My points are:

1. How many months have some of you been going round and round on this? How much aggravation is it worth for something not visible in most cases in any content?

2. Why should LG/BBY whoever continue swapping panels ad infinitum for you? At some point it's not worth it to them and they should just give you a refund - their product is incapable of meeting your expectations so both parties should move on.

Enjoy your set, it's great, actually :laugh:
Here's the deal about retail (I did get 5% off actually, but all that did was eliminate tax). I was trading up from a much more heavily flawed EF9500 with a trade-in voucher from LG (kudos to them for the acknowledgement on this). I couldn't get any information from them how long the voucher would be good for, so I ended up paying more than I would have liked. The benefit is I did get what amounts to a complimentary 5-month loaner on an EF9500.

As for your #1 , it is visible in content, and that's why I keep bringing it up. Any time it distracts from actual viewing is a point I begin to feel a tinge of buyer's remorse. Anybody who says the uniformity is fixed on these has lucked out in the lottery. LG can still do better. As for #2 (this is not about Best Buy per se'), the manufacturer certainly can do better (refer to #1 ). They're just inconsistent, and instead of just pocketing the profit that comes from the higher cost of the Signature, they should actually ensure it holds up to greater scrutiny or at least not look WORSE than the models that lie below it. I don't think that's too much to ask.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Would you mind posting your non dark room settings as well please?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sure!

Expert Bright Room
OLED Light - 60(for really bright rooms or sunny afternoons you can go to 65/70)
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 52
Color/Tint - 50/0(no changes
H & V sharpness - 10/10(no change)
All Enhancements OFF

Color Gamut - Normal
Gamma 2.2

White Balance 20 point edits:
IRE 5 = +5
IRE 10 = +4
IRE 15 = +3
IRE 20 = +2
IRE 25 = +1
IRE 30 through 100 = NO changes.

I did these settings using the same AVS disc and patterns as I did the dark room settings. The IRE lumunance edits are much smaller as you can see. These work well for football, hockey, any daytime content. I use this mode most of the time and formost content. Dark Room is ONLY for a truly dark room and movies/possibly streaming.

See what you think.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think I read they said they can update HDMI to 2.1 on the 2016 sets as well.
From what I understand, 2.1 needs new I/O chips from HDMI, and it would be quite remarkable if LG was thinking that far ahead 3 or so years ago when the current OLED line was being designed.

It's possible, but kind of unlikely.

Now some of the 2.1 spec might be available via a firmware update, perhaps some form of Dynamic HDR. But there's no way current I/O chips can support the 48gig data rate required by the full 2.1 spec.

The spec is backward compatible with 2.0, and the connector form factor remains the same, but need new cables with a relatively short maximum length for copper based cables.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All 2017 Oleds will have ultra luminance technology with 25% more brightness in HDR over the 2016 line up. Also 2 new extra HDR formats, HLG and advanced technicolor HDR.
Those formats along with dolby atmos will be the best experience you can get at home, an ultimate power house.
My understanding from the preliminary info is that the 25% increase in brightness is only for "small" isolated spots on the screen. Presumably a "bright spot" such a scene with the sun in it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How did you determine "most" folks use 2.2 after calibration (firstly, I am sure those who actually self-calibrate are in the minority; secondly, 2.4/BT.1886 are better suited for dark viewing)? My photos are also taken with BT.1886.
Point taken. "Most" was just my crude observation of settings folks give throughout the threads. That could have been rash on my part.

Reactions: video_analysis

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

This is all I needed to hear.
Keeping in mind that events conspire, and promises made at trade shows sometimes never reach the reality stage...

Oh yea...And someone needs to get a hold of LG, Sony and Samsung's 4K demos they're showing....I'd really like to see how Samsung's church, stain glass demo looks on my E6 :p
This link was posted a while back:

http://a-swiss.ch/Downloads/LG_DEMO_4K_OLED_HDR.zip

Very slow site, took me several attempts with Firefox's 'resume download' function, but finally got it. About 3.5 GB.

And the videos look stunning on my E6 playing back from a USB3 stick.

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I understand, 2.1 needs new I/O chips from HDMI, and it would be quite remarkable if LG was thinking that far ahead 3 or so years ago when the current OLED line was being designed.

It's possible, but kind of unlikely.

Now some of the 2.1 spec might be available via a firmware update, perhaps some form of Dynamic HDR. But there's no way current I/O chips can support the 48gig data rate required by the full 2.1 spec.

The spec is backward compatible with 2.0, and the connector form factor remains the same, but need new cables with a relatively short maximum length for copper based cables.
Yeah, I may have misread something or just made it up in my head :cool:

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Keeping in mind that events conspire, and promises made at trade shows sometimes never reach the reality stage...

Very slow site, took me several attempts with Firefox's 'resume download' function, but finally got it. About 3.5 GB.

True, but I also remember not long ago when LG said they wouldn't update HDR gaming mode on the 2016, then people complained and they updated the FW. So there is hope.

·
Registered
113 Posts

This is all I needed to hear.

Oh yea...And someone needs to get a hold of LG, Sony and Samsung's 4K demos they're showing....I'd really like to see how Samsung's church, stain glass demo looks on my E6

When it comes to HLG, I believe they'll come through with that, especially since it's only software based. Samsung has also said their 2016 lineup will receive the update as well. The rest of the stuff I wouldn't hold my breath on IMO.

Thanks for the link :) This is only LG's demo? BRB going to check on the Samsung threads lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Change speaker settings with a harmony remote?

I've searched this thread and can't see anything relevant, so thought I'd ask. On our E6 we watch xfinity TV using just the TV speakers. I'd like to use our 5.1 HT when watching Netflix or Amazon through the TV apps, but don't see any way other than manually to change speakers to external (in order to get 5.1 rather then 2 channel that it does when using *both* internal and external speakers. Am not using ARC. I know I could leave it permanently to external speakers and always use my yamaha AVR to drive our HT, but just watching news or something like like when we just want the TV only, can't seem to find a way to do it without manually tediously changing speakers to external for HT and then back to internal for just cable TV. Anyone solved this? Thanks!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hello,

I'm going to purchase a 65" E6 in a couple of months.
I was told that G and E are really the same, that is why I decided to go for the cheaper one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a test pattern or a file that I can use to test for banding, vignette, dead pixel and uniformity for LG OLED E6 / G6?

Can you suggest any other tests/files that I can perform on those TV models?

Would you please help me with this?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've searched this thread and can't see anything relevant, so thought I'd ask. On our E6 we watch xfinity TV using just the TV speakers. I'd like to use our 5.1 HT when watching Netflix or Amazon through the TV apps, but don't see any way other than manually to change speakers to external (in order to get 5.1 rather then 2 channel that it does when using *both* internal and external speakers. Am not using ARC. I know I could leave it permanently to external speakers and always use my yamaha AVR to drive our HT, but just watching news or something like like when we just want the TV only, can't seem to find a way to do it without manually tediously changing speakers to external for HT and then back to internal for just cable TV. Anyone solved this? Thanks!
I'm not sure that I am telling you anything that you don't already know, buy I'll try anyway.
You don't mention which Harmony you have, but I have the Harmony One. I also don't want my Yamaha on when watching
the news etc. I set up two activities. One with HT, one with TV speakers.
There is no way that the Harmony can tell which speaker settings that you are currently using, so you will have to
choose that manually. I have to admit that I didn't know that I wasn't getting 5.1 with both internal & external speakers
selected, so it was always set to that setting. Now, I'll have to go in and see for myself.
The main thing though, at least as a starting point is to have two separate activities.
If you are already doing this, then sorry I couldn't be more help. . .

Eneg

15481 - 15500 of 23448 Posts