AVS Forum banner

15521 - 15540 of 23482 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Wondering if someone can help me out with this problem I am having. I finally got arc to from my Marantz 8802a and LG E6 to work. I used to use a optical cable but never got good sound. By using arc sound is better and coming in surround from my speakers which it was not before. When watching the amazon Prime app on the E6 I can't pull up the info on my Marantz processor to get video or audio info like i can do when watching TV or a Blu Ray. Is there a way to see what is going on through the Marantz processor while using an app on the E6. I am also wondering if I can't get the GUI to come up while watching an app on the E6 is all of the processing being eliminated through my processor like up scaling to 4K? Thanks dave

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Curious find today while hooking up my DirecTV box to my OPPO 203. When I hit info button, the OPPO shows that the 1080i channels are coming into the player as 1080i60, and not 1080i30. Did DirecTV change the resolution so that all channels are 60fps instead of 30i and 60p? Perhaps that is why the tv can handle the 1080i channels on DirecTV so much better.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Questions from someone considering an OLED purchase soon...

Hi folks. Couple questions I wouldn't mind directly answered that I have since I am in the market for an OLED at this point. If someone doesn't mind I would really appreciate information. Thanks in advance.

1. Is the gaming lag that I've read so much about an issue on ANY setting or just things with HDR. Specifically I want to make sure I can game properly with an Xbox One S.
2. Is there a possibility that the announced 2017 models (B7 specifically) will be cheaper at launch than the current cost of the B6 ($3000)?
3. Are the new models worth waiting for? I guess just the brightness? I don't care about any of the audio enhancements.
4. Any specific reason to NOT buy a 2016 model?
5. Should I even bother looking into the announced Sony OLEDs? I figure LG has been doing this a few years at least and would be the best to choose from given they have had a few years to tweak things.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi folks. Couple questions I wouldn't mind directly answered that I have since I am in the market for an OLED at this point. If someone doesn't mind I would really appreciate information. Thanks in advance.

1. Is the gaming lag that I've read so much about an issue on ANY setting or just things with HDR. Specifically I want to make sure I can game properly with an Xbox One S.
2. Is there a possibility that the announced 2017 models (B7 specifically) will be cheaper at launch than the current cost of the B6 ($3000)?
3. Are the new models worth waiting for? I guess just the brightness? I don't care about any of the audio enhancements.
4. Any specific reason to NOT buy a 2016 model?
5. Should I even bother looking into the announced Sony OLEDs? I figure LG has been doing this a few years at least and would be the best to choose from given they have had a few years to tweak things.

Again, thanks.
1. There isn't excessive lag in any mode now except 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4, pretty much a non-issue for most imho.
2. Doubtful.
3. Again, just my opinion, not really. LG is bringing HLG HDR to their 2016 sets and no 2017 sets will have 3D.
4. Nope.
5. Sony's OLEDs will be using LG panels so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1. There isn't excessive lag in any mode now except 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4, pretty much a non-issue for most imho.
2. Doubtful.
3. Again, just my opinion, not really. LG is bringing HLG HDR to their 2016 sets and no 2017 sets will have 3D.
4. Nope.
Wow that was fast. Thanks for the input! Last question. Do you have to buy from an "Authorized Dealer" for the LG manufacturer's warranty to apply? I know this is true with Denon receivers which I just purchased so I wanted to check. Thanks!

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,501 Posts
The streaming services compress the DD+ they send out. Then it gets to the app in the set, which most sets currently downconvert/crossconvert/drop 2 channels (however they do it) to get to DD 5.1 to make it fit into the available ARC container size in the HDMI spec.

In order to fit the DD+ info into that same sized ARC container, it has to be further compressed either in the set or at the source. Aside from allowing another box to be ticked in reviews and comparisons, I'm hard pressed to see how this benefits those who enjoy quality audio.

Are you saying that HDMI ARC cannot not support full bandwidth DD+ ?
If that is the case, then the problem is with HDMI ARC and not with DD or DD+.

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,501 Posts
The 2017 LG OLED *MAY* have improvements that further reduce vignetting and improvements in motion handling.
We'll have to wait and see.
- Rich

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Are you saying that HDMI ARC cannot not support full bandwidth DD+ ?
If that is the case, then the problem is with HDMI ARC and not with DD or DD+.
That is exactly what I'm saying. The current HDMI ARC specification cannot support anything better than full bandwidth DD.

The next HDMI spec (2.1) has vastly enlarged the overall container size from 18GB to 48GB, and there's a much bigger space for ARC audio. But it's a good two years away from being in the stores, and will require repurchasing every piece of hardware with an HDMI connector to take full advantage of it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
2. Doubtful.
4. Nope.
Is there really any more lag in 4k 60Hz at 4:4:4 with PC icon and Game mode?

I certainly don't notice any when playing from my PC using those settings, and I don't recall people testing it to have higher/unacceptable latency, but maybe I missed a test that someone did?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
The 2017 LG OLED *MAY* have improvements that further reduce vignetting and improvements in motion handling.
We'll have to wait and see.
- Rich
Is this a rumor? What about vertical banding (near-black uniformity, which can extend minimally into higher brightness, so I'm qualifying it as a product defect)? Vignetting is not a problem on my panel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My understanding from the preliminary info is that the 25% increase in brightness is only for "small" isolated spots on the screen. Presumably a "bright spot" such a scene with the sun in it.
Funny thing is, 25% increase in brightness will be barely perceptible to the eye. 100%? Now you're talking!

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Especially since HDR industry standards for OLED is to be calibrated at 540 nits for HDR. All of the 2016 models exceed that.
that's not exactly accurate.... a OLED TV gets the Ultra HD Premium logo at a minimum of 540nits, that's all... doesn't mean at all that you need it to be calibrated at 540nits or that more won't be beneficial... just means that you get to use the logo at 540nits...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I downloaded this file (3.74GB) but I can't unzip it, I get message that says "Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue".
Is there another part to this demo zip that I need, or is my extraction program messing up?
I'll try to open it on another computer when I get home tonight.
That file might have been big enough that it triggered the ZIP64 extensions - both 7zip (on Windows) and BetterZip (MacOS) reliably unpack archives that other unzip programs misinterpret as multi-volume.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wondering if someone can help me out with this problem I am having. I finally got arc to from my Marantz 8802a and LG E6 to work. I used to use a optical cable but never got good sound. By using arc sound is better and coming in surround from my speakers which it was not before. When watching the amazon Prime app on the E6 I can't pull up the info on my Marantz processor to get video or audio info like i can do when watching TV or a Blu Ray. Is there a way to see what is going on through the Marantz processor while using an app on the E6. I am also wondering if I can't get the GUI to come up while watching an app on the E6 is all of the processing being eliminated through my processor like up scaling to 4K? Thanks dave
When ARC was designed nobody envisioned there would be a need to fiddle with audio settings on the receiver hence no info being shown on the TV screen. Not even for volume levels. Hey, we got rid of an extra cable. It took us only 5 years to design the protocol. There might be an upgrade in the next 10 years when we design ARC2 to allow you some insight into your receiver but we really can not promise anything at present time.
Obviously this upgrade in the HDMI protocol will require new cables, new receiver and a new TV, but this is a small price price to pay for the convenience.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sure!

Expert Bright Room
OLED Light - 60(for really bright rooms or sunny afternoons you can go to 65/70)
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 52
Color/Tint - 50/0(no changes
H & V sharpness - 10/10(no change)
All Enhancements OFF

Color Gamut - Normal
Gamma 2.2

White Balance 20 point edits:
IRE 5 = +5
IRE 10 = +4
IRE 15 = +3
IRE 20 = +2
IRE 25 = +1
IRE 30 through 100 = NO changes.
So i have gone with these settings for ISF dark room with a slight tweak on the brightness up to 55. The reason why i used these settings as opposed to your actual ISF Dark settings is because we usually watch movies at night with the kitchen light on which reflects of a large mirror and applies a sort of ambience lighting to the room.

I feel these settings are pretty close, but on the Black Clipping Reference test video I still cannot get columns 17 & 18 to flash, it is only 19-25, so it is making me feel like the overall picture is still a little darker than i would like.

Bar bringing up the brightness further (and thus turning blacks into greys) is there anything i can tweak to get that last little bit right?

The attached image is an example of the test pattern but is NOT how my set is displaying it, i have rows 19-25 flashing.

Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
When ARC was designed nobody envisioned there would be a need to fiddle with audio settings on the receiver hence no info being shown on the TV screen. Not even for volume levels. Hey, we got rid of an extra cable. It took us only 5 years to design the protocol. There might be an upgrade in the next 10 years when we design ARC2 to allow you some insight into your receiver but we really can not promise anything at present time.
Obviously this upgrade in the HDMI protocol will require new cables, new receiver and a new TV, but this is a small price price to pay for the convenience.
I was afraid that was the case. Thanks for the info.

15521 - 15540 of 23482 Posts