AVS Forum banner

15581 - 15600 of 23448 Posts

·
Vendor
26,645 Posts
The big issue with what you're doing is condensation. As your set thaws out at home, there will be a lot of moisture inside the unit. That won't be helpful.
TV's "probably" already sitting in a unheated warehouse more than likely. Let your set warm to room temperature, then fire it up......Now if the person you bought it from tells you different because of insurance reasons you have to do what your vender says.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Quick question,

I'm suppose to pick up my e6 this week. The temperature is suppose to be in the mid 20s and I will be transporting the tv in the back of my pickup with about 1.5 hours of travel time. With the temps below freezing should I be worried about having the tv in these low temps for that long. Of course I will let it warm up to room temp before turning it on, but is there any chance of damage from having it more than likely freeze.

thanks,
I wouldn't worry too much. I have had tv's delivered in January when it was sub zero. BB wouldn't plug the tv in and told me to wait several hours before turning on. I left it overnight unplugged and then plugged it in the next day. Never had an issue. The inside of a house in the winter generally has an indoor humidity around 40 percent. One the tv gets close to room temperature, any condensation that was on the tv's internal parts is long gone. They don't ship these tv's in climate controlled containers, so they can handle a lot more than your 1.5 hour trip in freezing temperatures. It's not the condensation that's the issue, it's the contraction differences between the metal and plastic parts due to the cold that could cause issues. That would include any soldered boards.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Would any of you still buy an 65E6 at this point or would you wait for the 7-Series?
Secondly, what are the major issues you have seen with your sets?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Would any of you still buy an 65E6 at this point or would you wait for the 7-Series?
Secondly, what are the major issues you have seen with your sets?
If you are not in a rush, then waiting another 3 or 4 months and getting the 2017 models will be the best choice, if 3D is not important to you. Of course, when the tv's come out, they will probably be higher priced than the remaining 2016 stock, but should drop just like they did this year. The 2017 models will reach 1000 nits compared to the 2016 models which peak out between 650 and 750 nits. So that would be better for HDR. LG improves the near blacks with each new model, so I believe them when they say near blacks will be better. My E6 is great and I have no complaints, but if I was in the market for a new TV at this time, I would wait for the 7 Series.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you are not in a rush, then waiting another 3 or 4 months and getting the 2017 models will be the best choice, if 3D is not important to you. Of course, when the tv's come out, they will probably be higher priced than the remaining 2016 stock, but should drop just like they did this year. The 2017 models will reach 1000 nits compared to the 2016 models which peak out between 650 and 750 nits. So that would be better for HDR. LG improves the near blacks with each new model, so I believe them when they say near blacks will be better. My E6 is great and I have no complaints, but if I was in the market for a new TV at this time, I would wait for the 7 Series.

I actually am in a rush.
I currently have a 65b6, but I will be able to return it. For the same money I paid for that a few months back I can now get an E6.
C6 is another option, but I am not too fond of the curve and the missus wants a speaker bar for whatever reason, so the e6 would fit the bill.

I'd order from Chris @clevelandplasma, but I am just a little nervous about how to deal with whatever minor issues I might notice, like a few dead subpixels and/ or some vignetting.
And as I understand, that then becomes a problem between me and LG directly.

I am well aware that the panels are the same across the board, but I still believe that LG grabs the "better" ones for their upper tier models. Or am I mistaken?

Cheers and TIA

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
I actually am in a rush.
I currently have a 65b6, but I will be able to return it. For the same money I paid for that a few months back I can now get an E6.
C6 is another option, but I am not too fond of the curve and the missus wants a speaker bar for whatever reason, so the e6 would fit the bill.

I'd order from Chris @cleveland plasma, but I am just a little nervous about how to deal with whatever minor issues I might notice, like a few dead subpixels and/ or some vignetting.
And as I understand, that then becomes a problem between me and LG directly.

I am well aware that the panels are the same across the board, but I still believe that LG grabs the "better" ones for their upper tier models. Or am I mistaken?

Cheers and TIA

My friend orders a 65E6 and I ordered a 65B6 from Chris. If it arrives safe, then additional support is provided by LG.
Get the E6 if you want the sound bar and 3D (which may have good resale value).

I don't believe the model affects the quality of the display panel.

- Rich

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Has anybody ever had the happen. First time I turned on the 3D on my e6 because of all the talk about it and it not being on the 2017's. After I turned it off there was this red blotchy haze on the screen. I had to power the TV off to get it to go away.

·
Registered
890 Posts
So is it safe to say there is no chance the 2016 b or e model is getting anywhere close to $2k this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had my 65E6P for 2 weeks now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't run any slides, nor have I seen any issues with it on real content. Real content meaning hockey, soccer, Netflix, Bluray/UHD content. 3D content is very good and in focus... A few days ago I had a go at The Art of Flight on Bluray and noticed 2 vertical bands on the left side of the screen in low light snow fall footage. The bands where quite noticeable. I'm at 104 hours, should I run a manual comp cycle? If so, is it under the OLED Panel Settings/Clear Panel Noise.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've had my 65E6P for 2 weeks now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't run any slides, nor have I seen any issues with it on real content. Real content meaning hockey, soccer, Netflix, Bluray/UHD content. 3D content is very good and in focus... A few days ago I had a go at The Art of Flight on Bluray and noticed 2 vertical bands on the left side of the screen in low light snow fall footage. The bands where quite noticeable. I'm at 104 hours, should I run a manual comp cycle? If so, is it under the OLED Panel Settings/Clear Panel Noise.
Yes, and yes.

The set turns off for about an hour, turns back on when done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I see people talking about 1000 nits peak brightness on the 17 sets but I believe Scott was giving tidbits from CES and posted that a 1000 nits is only possible in vivid mode. If that's the case, what's the point? I wonder who he spoke to when he got that info but I wouldn't be surprised if LG was claiming a 1000 nits, only for us to find out later, that's only the case in a certain mode.

I'll edit if I find the quote...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just called LG and explained the issue I am having with the 3D. I wonder if the color filter is broken, 3D works but when I turn off 3D I get the red blotchiness all over the screen. The only way to get rid of it is turn off the TV from the back button. Attached are some pics. If this broken I am requesting a new tv because it is only 5 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I just called LG and explained the issue I am having with the 3D. I wonder if the color filter is broken, 3D works but when I turn off 3D I get the red blotchiness all over the screen. The only way to get rid of it is turn off the TV from the back button. Attached are some pics. If this broken I am requesting a new tv because it is only 5 months old.

Are you on the latest firmware? Version 04.30.95 says "To improve color error issue at the bottom of the screen during HDMI 4K 3D On/Off." I wonder if this is what the firmware fixes.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Are you on the latest firmware? Version 04.30.95 says "To improve color error issue at the bottom of the screen during HDMI 4K 3D On/Off." I wonder if this is what the firmware fixes.
Thanks for the info but unfortunately it did not fix the issue. It was worth a shot I just uploaded the new firmware 4.30.95

Attachments

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
That looks bad. New TV time for you. They'll take care of ya.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's what I am afraid of. I hope they let me get a 2017 because I do not want 3D because of this. I like on glass option so the B6 is of no interest to me. If not I am asking for my money back.
I wouldn't let this one panel sour you on LG's 3D, most owners have no issues with the 3D performance.

Not sure if LG would give you a 2017 anyway, and you'll have to wait a few months if that was even a possibility.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I purchased my LG OLED65E6 last April. At that time the panel displayed no signs of banding or non uniformity. A few weeks ago my eye was drawn to the fact that during typical programming, I could see dark vertical lines, maybe a hundred, running vertically from the top of the screen to the bottom, a across the entire screen right to left.

I ran the screen noise cancelling routine a couple of times, disconnected the power for several minutes, reset to defaults, but with no improvement.

I'm not a slides person, but I did download some cal screens and took a picture of the 100% white slide for the service repair people to evaluate. A repair is in process, parts have been ordered, not sure what parts but I would assume a replacement panel. I'm attaching the photo, I did adjust ISO and contrast to get the banding to stand out. The color impurities in the photo are not part of the problem, but a result of the phone camera.

I did a search of the forums for "banding" and located a few posts where serial numbers beginning with 603 have banding issues. The worrying part of this is that this panel looked perfect when I first got it, but just eight months it degraded to this.

In addition if you look at the left corner, you can see some really bad degeneration of the screen, large blotches of non uniformity.

LG VIP service is on top of getting this repaired, but I am a little concerned how long the new panel will last..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ouch, did you not ask for a new tv? We paid a lot of money for these tv's. If you are still under warranty why would they basically give you a refurbished tv.

15581 - 15600 of 23448 Posts