AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 12573 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Ok, more confusion on my end. Reading through the noise online, is it right to say that all 4 are HDR10, but only the G has DV?
Eff all the speculation outside and head straight to the source who apparently have finally managed to get it all together in the last two weeks: http://www.lg.com/us/compare/compare.lg?category=/us/tvs (abbreviated answer, they all feature DV)

Perhaps another column for your model summary table? ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ok, more confusion on my end. Reading through the noise online, is it right to say that all 4 are HDR10, but only the G has DV?
Hopefully you are confused and had a Jack D or 2, lol

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Eff all the speculative outside and head straight to the source who apparently have finally managed to get it all together in the last two weeks: http://www.lg.com/us/compare/compare.lg?category=/us/tvs (abbreviated answer, they all feature DV)

Perhaps another column for your model summary table? ;)
Thanks! They did seem to clean things up a bit more. Still a little goofed up in one category where only the G has "3D" in the description, but 3D later on shows it across the C/E/G.

Looks like my mini-text-table thing is complete except for the down vs rear firing. Still holding off on correcting that.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The LG is the ultimate gaming display for PC users. I mostly use my 9200 OLED and it's SO MUCH better then my plasma, or Samsung JS9500 for gaming.

If you can maintain 60 FPS, there is absolutely zero motion blur because of the response time and the intrascene contrast makes a big difference for gaming. I couldn't believe how much better games looked on the OLED. Much more of a three dimensional image, and gaming in 4k is freaking amazing. Played Dying Light and I get so freaked out at night because sometimes in my dark room, I can't even see the TV and all I hear is freaking Zombies all around. Lol.

Absolute black, makes a HUGE difference when gaming. Even the slightest glow from a backlight, would ruin that effect for dark areas in games.
Not disagreeing, but there's so much more OLEDs can do other than dark areas. Take Yoshi's Island's first stage for example where there are barely any black and all happy sappy pastel colorful colors. My Panasonic S64 plasma can put out much more vibrant, intense, and saturated colors than my Samsung F5300/F4500 plasmas did because of superior ANSI contrast ratio. And your EG9200 will most likely do the same thrashing to my Panny plasma with truly incredible saturation. High ANSI contrast ratio benefits all colors, that's why it's the most important picture perimeter for gamers.

And thankfully, most of today's games have vastly superior dynamic range than Bluray movies, so when it comes to reference contrast ratio material, movies will play a second fiddle to games IMO, and games should be the centerpiece of true contrast ratio benchmark. Metal Gear Solid 5 alone destroys about 90% of Bluray movies when talking about intense searchlight going through pitch dark night. (Zero level black and 255 level white both dominating the scene) And on my plasma, it's not just intense white, it also has beautiful transparency.

I've just seen the EG9200 again today and they were playing new HDR demos and oh boy! they were really incredible with lovely P3 colors and variety of luminance. I can't wait for HDR games to come out. I really, really, really hope Final Fantasy 7 remake supports HDR because that Midgar recreation practically cries for HDR! Intense neon flashlight engulfing dark dystopian slum!

For framerate, I'd still say I'd require 120 fps before calling even with my plasma though. 60FPS was ok, but sample and hold based blur was still dominant.

·
Registered
445 Posts
And if you care about 3D you need only move up to the C6 model. Sure, it's curved and all else being equal I prefer a flat screen but I much prefer the simplicity of the C6 model over the aesthetic muddle of the E6 and G6 models. Also, the curve on the OLED models seem less aggressive than those from Samsung.

Or go with the 9500.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Or go with the 9500.
Touché. Especially if the C6 has a healthy price and the EF9500 is heavily discounted.

I can abide my time (for a discounted B6/C6) and see if the vignetting and dark uniformity issues are truly worked out and I would be interested in Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
... in the interim I just purchased the EG9110 - at a price I couldn't refuse - to replace my JS7000. I should know first hand how distracting those issues are, I'm almost 100% sure it will noticeably outperform the JS7000 99% of the time but less certain compared to my beloved plasma.

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
All the 2016 models support DV + HDR10

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Who's getting their G6 today?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The LG is the ultimate gaming display for PC users. I mostly use my 9200 OLED and it's SO MUCH better then my plasma, or Samsung JS9500 for gaming.

If you can maintain 60 FPS, there is absolutely zero motion blur because of the response time
The blur comes from sample & hold. This problem should be even more visible with 60fps games than 30fps games.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Who's getting their G6 today?
No one is. Last I heard is that first allocation ship date will be given from LG sometime today. Keep in mind that shipments need to come from Texas to retailer first, so I am not expecting any to reach homes before end of next week at the earliest.

·
Registered
755 Posts
For what it's worth, I've seen online pre-order prices for the 65B6 at $5,999, assumption is that's the MSRP, and for the 65C6 at $4,867 with a listed MSRP of $5,999. I can't imagine that's correct, being the same MSRP price point, but I'm just reporting what I've seen. I also find it hard to believe the new models would be priced one grand more than last years models. We should find out in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I hope this doesn't mean you can't turn the logo off on '16 models?!
You can turn the logo "off" on 2015 models, so I assume 2016 would be no different.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
um no, I've told you multiple times now you have it backwards. Higher frame rates give less time for the image to be held.
This is the same reason why motion interpolation increases motion resolution.
Correct. The problem is that you need at least 1000 FPS with a sample & hold display to match the motion clarity of a basic 60Hz CRT display - and much higher than that for the faster CRTs.
To match a plasma TV, it would have to be something in the region of 240 FPS - motion clarity on plasma is much worse than CRT.

That's why sample & hold is basically makes it impossible to have good motion clarity, and why LG need to add low-persistence modes to these displays, whether that's black frame insertion or some form of scanning.
If it's done properly, only displaying each source frame once, it should also help improve motion smoothness and help reduce judder - but don't expect that to happen with film. 24 FPS motion is not something that can be fixed, the framerate is simply too low.

2521 - 2540 of 12573 Posts