AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just ordered 55E6 from CP. I need to upgrade my HDMI cables, so I wondered if someone with a working HDR system could suggest a source for HDMI 2.0a cables.

Thanks
JohnW

This might help. A note I received from BlueJeans Cables regarding HDMI cables

--------------------------------------------

You have to realize that the cables are not changing, just the signals being sent through them. If a cable couldn’t carry an HDR signal, it wouldn’t be able to carry any signal. The 2.0 and 2.0a is merely a designation for a feature set that the devices have. Anybody trying to tell you that you need a new “2.0” or “2.0a” cable is trying to scam you more than likely…

If you want the actual facts straight from the horse’s mouth, go to HDMI.org. This is the official site for all things HDMI. Forget what you read in the forums or even what’s on our site – this is the straight info.

Cheers!

Wayne - BJC

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hopefully this hasn't been covered already somewhere in this 125 page thread, but I'm wondering about supported input modes for 3D video.

This question came up specifically while looking over the documentation for Sony's XBR-X930D TVs, where I noticed that 3D video input is only supported at resolutions / framerates up to 1080p30 (whereas 2D video is supported up to 2160p60). Logically, this couldn't be a bandwidth issue. If you can do 2160p60 in 2D, then you have all the bandwidth needed for 2160p30 in 3D. Nevertheless, the manual clearly shows 3D modes going up to 1080p30 only.

Does anyone know what the case is for any / all of these LG TVs (that support 3D)? I looked over the G6 manual (the only one I could find for a model known to support 3D), and didn't see any mention whatsoever about supported HDMI resolutions or framerates.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, after alpha testing LG's new TV (OLED55C6P) all day, I've come to a conclusion.

My HDMI 2.0 ports won't run at full HDMI 2.0 18 Gbps speed!

Tested multiple HDMI cables. 4K @ 60Hz 4:2:0 runs fine, both with HDMI Deep color enabled and without. This is because that low of color runs at HDMI 1.4 speed.

I can enable HDMI Deep color and run 4K @ 60 Hz, but 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 (requiring the chip to run at 18 Gbps speed), the signal is lost and the TV goes into limp mode.

I cannot believe LG released a TV like this. Ridiculous.

I will call LG VIP support tomorrow. Basically have the world's largest paper weight at the moment as 4:2:0 for computer use is garbage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, after alpha testing LG's new TV (OLED55C6P) all day, I've come to a conclusion.

My HDMI 2.0 ports won't run at full HDMI 2.0 18 Gbps speed!

Tested multiple HDMI cables. 4K @ 60Hz 4:2:0 runs fine, both with HDMI Deep color enabled and without. This is because that low of color runs at HDMI 1.4 speed.

I can enable HDMI Deep color and run 4K @ 60 Hz, but 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 (requiring the chip to run at 18 Gbps speed), the signal is lost and the TV goes into limp mode.

I cannot believe LG released a TV like this. Ridiculous.

I will call LG VIP support tomorrow. Basically have the world's largest paper weight at the moment as 4:2:0 for computer use is garbage.
@Callsign_Vega: according to the manual, the deep color mode is 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, but also 10 bits per channel. I don't know if it's possible to set your GPU up to run at this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I take that back -- the Nvidia Control Panel/Change Resolution does have an Output color depth selection (#3, upper right.) So try 10 bits there and see what happens.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I found out the problem. It's simply inane.

The EDID info from the TV passed to the GPU sets the refresh rate at 60.000 Hz (through default extension block). The TV goes out of sync and loses signal at 60.000 Hz. Once I set Windows 10 and my games to 59 Hz (which ends up being 59.972 Hz), everything works normal at 4:4:4. Yes, that miniscule difference in frequency will cause your input to fail! For those that also get this TV for PC gaming... They need to get rid of 60.000 Hz from the EDID info if the TV cannot process it. Needless to say, you cannot overclock this TV LOL. (Yes, I tried).

Now that I've wasted six hours narrowing that down, on to the good:

Amazing picture quality!
The input lag in PC mode at 4:4:4 is noticeably less than my last years EG9600. Great for gamers!
This new set also destroys the EG9600 in near black. There is a tiny bit of banding (set only has 5 hours on it) on near blacks, but the black crush and black border fans are virtually non existent.

I also like the panel noise wipe (retention) and screen shift options!

All setup for Star Citizen.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sounds great!!! Would you say the input lag is less at 4:2:0 chroma??

I really trust your opinions, would you say this tv is good for pc gaming at 4k? Input lag bothers so I am alittle concerned and I know you said the eg9600 had too much lag to really enjoy games.

·
Registered
575 Posts

The EDID info from the TV passed to the GPU sets the refresh rate at 60.000 Hz (through default extension block). The TV goes out of sync and loses signal at 60.000 Hz. Once I set Windows 10 and my games to 59 Hz (which ends up being 59.972 Hz), everything works normal at 4:4:4. Yes, that miniscule difference in frequency will cause your input to fail! For those that also get this TV for PC gaming... They need to get rid of 60.000 Hz from the EDID info if the TV cannot process it. Needless to say, you cannot overclock this TV LOL. (Yes, I tried).

Amazing picture quality!
The input lag in PC mode at 4:4:4 is noticeably less than my last years EG9600. Great for gamers!
This new set also destroys the EG9600 in near black. There is a tiny bit of banding (set only has 5 hours on it) on near blacks, but the black crush and black border fans are virtually non existent.

That is one sweet pic of your setup and the image on the tv. Plus the controls I've never seen and game I've never heard of remind me that my brief forays on my kids' ps4 do not make me a gamer. Ahhh to be young again. Or older and unmarried.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Amazing picture quality!

WOW that is insane,

·
Registered
442 Posts
Amazing picture quality!

I'm assuming that the input lag is the same as on the G6 which is 34ms which is totally fine and much better than the EG960s 50ms. I think all the 2016 OLED will have 34ms or similar input lag.
By the way, thanks the 4:4:4 info

·
Registered
76 Posts

Amazing picture quality!

Interesting about the banding. Is it as your 9600 or less?

Maybe you could take a picture of a 5% slide?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible to set the TV at 23.9Hz instead of 59.9 Hz? I use Kodi on Shield TV with my current TV and it switches to 23.9 or 50 or 60Hz depending on content - will it work on current LG OLEDs?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Amazing picture quality!

Thank you for your feedback, I ordered the 55'' E6 model and will use it as a PC monitor like you.

Do you set 59 Hz in games or in the Nvidia control panel ?

How do you check the chroma 4:4:4 ?

Do you see motion blur in games when you move from left to right or right to left ? (very noticeable on LCD displays)

When you open many windows, does the luminosity decrease because of the ABL mechanism ?

3741 - 3760 of 12502 Posts