AVS Forum banner

7921 - 7940 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Probably not the right thread, but this post reminded me I've been meaning to bring this up...

For movies that are "mastered wrong" for the new tech, are there any recommended 4K-compatible, HDR-compatible converters/filters available or in the works?

Let's start with a simple example of content mastered at 4000 nits max coupled with a display capable of 500 nits max. My understanding is that simplistically put anything coded as 500+ nits is displayed identically -- i.e. max for the display.

I'm imagining a converter/filter device that you put between the player and the TV (or between the player and the AV/Receiver) that has two modes: Analyze and Filter. You run the movie/content in Analyze mode during which it would observe the range of the mastered content. After that is completed, you then put it in Filter mode with parameters/settings set for max output of 500 nits and perhaps a "conversion curve" (simple linear, exponential -- linear in the low blacks, etc).

The converter/filter need not use a constant (set of) equation(s) throughout, thus different scenes or sections of scenes could be adjusted differently to allow for "best rendering of scene X" as well as "improve jarring transition from scene X to scene Y".

Taking it up a notch, such a device should probably offer save/load Analysis Profile to USB and save/load Filter Configuration from USB. With these facilities, there's a nice crowd-sourcing opportunity to improve the viewing experience for all popular published content.
With the exception of crowd sourcing this is pretty much what HDR does on these sets already. It does not simply clip at the peak brightness of the set. The peak brightness is input into the formula and a "custom" gamma curve is produced.

In the case of HDR10 this is fixed across the entire movie, in the case of Dolby Vision, which is a form of "dynamic HDR", this can change from scene to scene, just as you suggest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife, too my surprise, gave me the ok to get the C-65 ,she stated that I don't have a life so I might as well have a TV. I got the TV from PC Richards, this is a big perchance for me. I like 3D, so that is why I went with the C-65 for 2799. The TV is set for 12/1/16 delivery, so any reason to cancel? I have never spent this amount on any TV.I read that the C model has the better chip in it and it's the same as the E model? Is the panel equal to the E model also? OK, maybe I fell guilty, fulfilling my self lusting for a bigger TV! Should I wait? Bigger, better and cheaper? HELP!
there's a reputable online seller who has it for $2,000 for the 65" w/ free shipping.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
there's a reputable online seller who has it for $2,000 for the 65" w/ free shipping.

Ok where's the link ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Samsung PN-F8500 about 4 years ago for gaming and I regret it almost everyday. I only use this TV for gaming/ streaming videos and the input lag is outrageous. I even turn on the Game mode option and it still is horrible and the picture quality is crap. I am looking at the E6 model but do not want to make the same mistake twice. Is this tv good for gaming and does the picture quality more or less match the F-8500?

·
Registered
33,380 Posts
My wife, too my surprise, gave me the ok to get the C-65 ,she stated that I don't have a life so I might as well have a TV. I got the TV from PC Richards, this is a big perchance for me. I like 3D, so that is why I went with the C-65 for 2799. The TV is set for 12/1/16 delivery, so any reason to cancel? I have never spent this amount on any TV.I read that the C model has the better chip in it and it's the same as the E model? Is the panel equal to the E model also? OK, maybe I fell guilty, fulfilling my self lusting for a bigger TV! Should I wait? Bigger, better and cheaper? HELP!
The 'better' chip is only to support 3D, it doesn't improve PQ in any way. So if 3D is what you want at the cheapest price available in OLED, and you don't mind a curved screen or the absence of a sound bar, the C is the way to go.

I went with a B because I have no interest in 3D or a sound bar (already have one). :)

BTW, not many of us here have 'lives'...that's why we're here. :grin:

·
Registered
33,380 Posts
So does the C model chip run all the way up to the G model? Do you know if the panels are all the same?
LG has stated that the chip differences are merely to support different features like 3D and sound. Since the C lacks the sound bar that the E & G have, there may be some additional chip differences as a result.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
LG has stated that the chip differences are merely to support different features like 3D and sound. Since the C lacks the sound bar that the E & G have, there may be some additional chip differences as a result.
Agreed, the picture quality is the same on all the sets. B,C,E,G. :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Anyone know how to find out if a WebOS app is streaming in 4K on these LG TVs? When I stream 4K via the Amazon Fire TV ... I can tell the native resolution of the stream by using the magic remote (clicking top of the screen where the Input label appears). We don't have that option when using a WebOS app. Any suggestions?

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
Anyone know how to find out if a WebOS app is streaming in 4K on these LG TVs? When I stream 4K via the Amazon Fire TV ... I can tell the native resolution of the stream by using the magic remote (clicking top of the screen where the Input label appears). We don't have that option when using a WebOS app. Any suggestions?

If you click on the top of the screen twice it shows the resolution but I have not found a way to display the frame-rate.

- Rich

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
edited on nov 28

I'm comparing 55 not 65 between c series and e series

When in component mode do either model display 1080i or p ?

How many hdr input does 55 inch c have ?

How many nits between c and e 55" models

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just ordered my 65" B6 from ABT. The wife and I have been drooling over it all year and can't wait. We already have a 4k receiver that supports all the standards, we just need a 4k blu-ray player. Are there any good deals still around? Also, what movie(s) would you recommend that show off the best of the TV?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Just ordered my 65" B6 from ABT. The wife and I have been drooling over it all year and can't wait. We already have a 4k receiver that supports all the standards, we just need a 4k blu-ray player. Are there any good deals still around? Also, what movie(s) would you recommend that show off the best of the TV?
Thanks!
If you are looking for an inexpensive UHD blu ray player, the Samsung and Phillips players can be found online for less than $200. As far as reference quality movies to watch, I would recommend either Lucy UHD blu ray, X-Men Apocalypse UHD, or The Reverant UHD. They all look stunning.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
IMO it's probably worth waiting at this point. If we find the 2017 models aren't worth waiting for than the 2016 models will still be around, and it's not like they're gonna get more expensive in the mean time
This post is for anyone to answer as well can anyone other questions?
You're saying the 55c6p doesn't handle hdr10correctly? If so will lg release updates?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
No it does not for WebOS Apps. The keyword is "for WebOS apps"
You have to trust what the app tells you. In Netflix and Youtube pressing the "Info" button will tell you the stream it's playing. With Amazon, the nav bar tells you the resolution.

I know some of the remotes don't have an Info button. Maybe someone else knows how to bring up info then. Alternatively, a Harmony remote can do it.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
What's abominable is LG not taking pride in using the Signature moniker by ensuring said series meets a more stringent level of QC at the continental assembly plant (or at least not worse than the E6). Had I known my EF9500 return voucher was good for 12 months, I would have waited it out for the inevitable price drops and not even bothered with the G experiment.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Don't the streaming apps. let you select 4K vs. 1080p streams?
It varies. You can search for stuff available in 4K but that doesn't mean it will play that way.

Netflix and Youtube have only one entry for each show covering all resolutions. They will automatically step up to 4K, for Netflix if you have the right subscription and, for both, if the stream can download fast enough.

Amazon has separate versions of each show for 4K, but even then I think it starts at a lower res and steps up if it can.

7921 - 7940 of 12502 Posts