AVS Forum banner

7941 - 7960 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Don't the streaming apps. let you select 4K vs. 1080p streams?
With Amazon, you just have to stumble upon the right entry for the program (they exist separately, in different rows). If you search directly, that might show both UHD and HD program entries (haven't tried it for myself).

In Netflix, there is no choice given between the two:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
That kind of sucks, you could pay for 4K streams on Netflix and not actually get it.

At least if you can force that selection, you will be able to tell if your connection isn't fast enough and just downgrade your subscription in that case.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Looking for some help with ARC. I got a new TV (OLED65B6P) and turned ARC on. I've check all the settings on both TV and AV7702mkII, I've check cable connections and everything is hooked up correctly. But I can't get sound back to the receiver from the TV.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
LG has stated that the chip differences are merely to support different features like 3D and sound. Since the C lacks the sound bar that the E & G have, there may be some additional chip differences as a result.
For those who have strong preference for a flat screen over a curved and want to economize as much as possible, the B is the best choice as the C is curved and the E carries a significant premium.

For those who do not consider LGs gentle curve a showstopper (and who don't require a 4th HDMI inout), it's pretty clear the C is a safer choice than the B.

G, E, and C all share the same (LG-custom) chipset, meaning bug-fixes / firmware updates being done for one will be done for all. It is also probable that this same custom chipset is being used in LGs LED/LCD TVs supporting Dolby Vision and 3D, so this chipset it 'mainstream premium' for LG and will be well-supported.

The B has a different (third-party) off-the-shelf chipset which supports Dolby Vision but does not support 3D. While it al out certainly supports the same picture quality as the LG custom chipset, it runs the risk of being an orphan and being left behind when it comes to bug fixes and updates.

I would not be concerned about major bugs and/or major updates - there are a large number of B6P owners and LG will want to keep them happy.

But for nice-to-have updates or non-critical bugs, there is a possibility that LG will elect to develope those fixes on their custom chipset and roll it out to all premium G and E customers first (and C customers along with them) while holding off on development and rollout of a nice-to-have update for the B until the next critical release is required.

The decision by LG to use a different chipset on the B is truly befuddling. Here's a least one theory to explain it (pure speculation):

1- Dolby reached agreement wth Vizio first and as part of that agreement, agreed with a third-party chiphouse to develope a new chipset supporting Dolby Vision but no 3D because Vizio dropped 3D and Dlby doesn't carecabout 3D either.

2- knowing how these chipset development agreements go, it is highly, highly likely that there were volume commitments made by Dolby to defer/eliminate development costs

3- Vizio's Reference Series launched (sort of) over 1-year late and in general, the entire launch of Dolby Vision was at least a year behibd early forecasts.

4- Dolby reached agreement with LG second, and the agreement appears to go further than the agreement with Vizio did - Dolby Vision incorporated on a wider range of LGs product line.

5- LG intended to develope a custom chipset supporting DV, but also supporting 3D.

6- sales of the 3rd-party chipset were probably far behind expectation and Dolby may well have been facing a penalty if unable to find another channel for 3rd party chipset sales other than VizionR and P.

7- to cut the deal with LG, Dolby makes it a condition that LG will sell at least one lowest-end OLED using the third-party chipset rather than LGs custom chipset.

8- LG grudgingly agrees and the B6P is born.

I have not checked, but it might be interesting to see whether LG is selling any LED/LCD TVs supporting Dolby Vision without 3D...

In any case, I am very happy with my decision to stick with 3D and end up with a C6P. At least in 2016, Dolby Vision with 3D appears to be 'mainstream premium' within LG...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I finally broke down and grabbed that EG9600-UB board off Ebay to try to swap out with my UA board.

I'll let you guys know how it goes

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
No it does not for WebOS Apps. The keyword is "for WebOS apps"
Right, it is annoying. The miss the Netflix info button as well.

- Rich

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anyone get the auto-dimming feature to work? My wife complains that it's too bright at night. I have auto dimming enabled but the sensor must be really weak because I can't see any dimming at night.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Agreed, the picture quality is the same on all the sets. B,C,E,G. :)
If you live in the NY area, all you need to do is go over to Value Electronics and see for yourself. They have the B, C, E and a G on display in their showroom, pretty much next to each other, playing the exact same content most of the time. Some people here might feel that the PQ is different between the models because each set comes off of the assembly line slightly different, but after calibration, the PQ is identical.

Reactions: Gabatta

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
The 'better' chip is only to support 3D, it doesn't improve PQ in any way. So if 3D is what you want at the cheapest price available in OLED, and you don't mind a curved screen or the absence of a sound bar, the C is the way to go.

I went with a B because I have no interest in 3D or a sound bar (already have one). :)

BTW, not many of us here have 'lives'...that's why we're here. :grin:
Lmao...spitting out the truth!!!

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Oh the C has a sound bar too?

How would you mount these things with that sound bar chin sticking out?

LG better wise up with the design of the 2017 models.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
For those who have strong preference for a flat screen over a curved and want to economize as much as possible, the B is the best choice as the C is curved and the E carries a significant premium.

For those who do not consider LGs gentle curve a showstopper (and who don't require a 4th HDMI inout), it's pretty clear the C is a safer choice than the B.

G, E, and C all share the same (LG-custom) chipset, meaning bug-fixes / firmware updates being done for one will be done for all. It is also probable that this same custom chipset is being used in LGs LED/LCD TVs supporting Dolby Vision and 3D, so this chipset it 'mainstream premium' for LG and will be well-supported.

The B has a different (third-party) off-the-shelf chipset which supports Dolby Vision but does not support 3D. While it al out certainly supports the same picture quality as the LG custom chipset, it runs the risk of being an orphan and being left behind when it comes to bug fixes and updates.

I would not be concerned about major bugs and/or major updates - there are a large number of B6P owners and LG will want to keep them happy.

But for nice-to-have updates or non-critical bugs, there is a possibility that LG will elect to develope those fixes on their custom chipset and roll it out to all premium G and E customers first (and C customers along with them) while holding off on development and rollout of a nice-to-have update for the B until the next critical release is required.

The decision by LG to use a different chipset on the B is truly befuddling. Here's a least one theory to explain it (pure speculation):

1- Dolby reached agreement wth Vizio first and as part of that agreement, agreed with a third-party chiphouse to develope a new chipset supporting Dolby Vision but no 3D because Vizio dropped 3D and Dlby doesn't carecabout 3D either.

2- knowing how these chipset development agreements go, it is highly, highly likely that there were volume commitments made by Dolby to defer/eliminate development costs

3- Vizio's Reference Series launched (sort of) over 1-year late and in general, the entire launch of Dolby Vision was at least a year behibd early forecasts.

4- Dolby reached agreement with LG second, and the agreement appears to go further than the agreement with Vizio did - Dolby Vision incorporated on a wider range of LGs product line.

5- LG intended to develope a custom chipset supporting DV, but also supporting 3D.

6- sales of the 3rd-party chipset were probably far behind expectation and Dolby may well have been facing a penalty if unable to find another channel for 3rd party chipset sales other than VizionR and P.

7- to cut the deal with LG, Dolby makes it a condition that LG will sell at least one lowest-end OLED using the third-party chipset rather than LGs custom chipset.

8- LG grudgingly agrees and the B6P is born.

I have not checked, but it might be interesting to see whether LG is selling any LED/LCD TVs supporting Dolby Vision without 3D...

In any case, I am very happy with my decision to stick with 3D and end up with a C6P. At least in 2016, Dolby Vision with 3D appears to be 'mainstream premium' within LG...
You should become a conspiracy theorist writer.

I never read so much speculation in my life.

What make you think that a chip designed to control OLED TV would be used on a FALD LCD TV.

The only thing similar between Vizio and LG is Dolby vision. End of comparison.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You should become a conspiracy theorist writer.

I never read so much speculation in my life.

What make you think that a chip designed to control OLED TV would be used on a FALD LCD TV.

The only thing similar between Vizio and LG is Dolby vision. End of comparison.
Umm, yeah he stated up front it was pure speculation, offered only to attempt to explain a "befuddling" decision by LG. It was an entertaining read, no more - no need to dump on the guy. Do you have a better opinion to offer why LG used a different, outsourced chip only for the B series? The B and C are the same price, so cost probably wasn't it. And 3D can be turned off via a unique SW load, so no need to use a different chip for that either.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
This post is for anyone to answer as well can anyone other questions?
You're saying the 55c6p doesn't handle hdr10correctly? If so will lg release updates?
Totally false statement.
All the LGs process HDR10 correctly but it's very hard to calibrate HDR on the LG, and most of the other brands currently, if you wanted to fine tune it. Fortunately, out of the box, HDR on the LG is set up very well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are looking for an inexpensive UHD blu ray player, the Samsung and Phillips players can be found online for less than $200. As far as reference quality movies to watch, I would recommend either Lucy UHD blu ray, X-Men Apocalypse UHD, or The Reverant UHD. They all look stunning.
Thanks! Gonna hunt for deals today.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Umm, yeah he stated up front it was pure speculation, offered only to attempt to explain a "befuddling" decision by LG. It was an entertaining read, no more - no need to dump on the guy. Do you have a better opinion to offer why LG used a different, outsourced chip only for the B series? The B and C are the same price, so cost probably wasn't it. And 3D can be turned off via a unique SW load, so no need to use a different chip for that either.
Building theory about speculation and then using that news speculated theory to speculate even more is just misleading and confusing to the user.

There's already so much speculation between the B C E and G. It could complicate potential buyers even more by adding that Vizio SOC theory.

Also, theorizing that the B TV could receive less update is also completely misleading. Hundred Android phones use different SOC depending of the country they are shipped to, and they all receive the same update. There must be 5-6 different versions of the Samsung Galaxy s7...yet they all receive the same update. The Soc minimal difference is not what will reduce the delay between update.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
It's exceedingly common for multiple models (of any product line) to have the same component level hardware, just configured differently. Producing an ASIC isn't that easy: Hardware development moves from breadboard to QA to prefab to fab. A very expensive process. You always try to keep as much the same as possible.

You design for the highest end model, and effectly cripple the lower models by using less and less of what you really have internally.

Reactions: fafrd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Apologies if this has been asked/discussed before. I searched and couldn't find any real pertinent results.

I just bought a B6, and after reading about 100 pages of threads here, I'm on the fence as to whether I should trade it for a C6. Is the C6 that much better since it has a different processor? Will the C6 be supported longer and receive quicker updates since it uses an LG chipset? I've never had a curved TV which is why I went with the B6, but I can swap out for a C6 at no charge within the next 30 days.

Advice?

7941 - 7960 of 12502 Posts