AVS Forum banner

8321 - 8340 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Just a WHOLE CRAPTON of anecdotal evidence, including from some very well respected calibrators.
I have seen some of that but in all honesty there is not much evidence to back any of that up. Core performance is nearly identical. There might be some minor differences but we are talking comparing 99% to 99.5% . Heck my eg9100 was 95% the set my C6 is. That's because absolute black is absolute black regardless of price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I've seen "a lot" of the B, C, E and G and I can tell you 100% that the PQ is basically the same on all the sets once they are calibrated. That said, for some reason, and I have to think it's the chip set, it's harder to calibrate the B. It just doesn't line up as easily and smoothly as the rest of the sets but if you get a good calibrator, the PQ to your eye, at the end of the day, will be the same. Also the B isn't brighter because it doesn't have 3D, it just looks brighter because the menu's are brighter but when you put a meter on it, it's in the same ball park as the rest. Every set has a slightly different peak brightness above 540 nits. Some 690, some 700, some 710, some 720, and you probably won't be able to see these differences with your eye unless you put two sets side by side and maybe then you might be able to tell. The only thing that you can repeatedly demonstrate is the menu system is a little slower on the B than the rest with the G being the fastest. Finally, as far as brightness is concerned, the 65 will "appear" brighter to your eye than the 55 because the pixels are larger and there is more "screen" in front of you but this is really subjective. I've measured several 55 and 65's and despite what the reviews say about the early sets, with the retail sets available in the past several months, when calibrated and I put a meter on them with a 10% window, they are all in roughly the same ball park. Occasionally, i'll see a set with a lower peak brightness than "normal" but if it's above 540 then the set is in spec according to LG and after calibration, the PQ is fine.

I hope this helps clear up a little, all the endless discussion on this topic :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you John, very helpful. With all that said, I tend towards the E6 now because it seems faster in the menus and gets updates more frequently/often.

Just one more question: you say the 65 appears brighter than the 55 inch model because it has more pixels. I respectfully disagree. They are both 2160p displays, so they must both have the exact same amount of pixels. Maybe those on the 65 incher are larger or further apart from each other.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Thank you John, very helpful. With all that said, I tend towards the E6 now because it seems faster in the menus and gets updates more frequently/often.

Just one more question: you say the 65 appears brighter than the 55 inch model because it has more pixels. I respectfully disagree. They are both 2160p displays, so they must both have the exact same amount of pixels. Maybe those on the 65 incher are larger or further apart from each other.
Thanks for the correction, you are correct, it appears brighter to your eye because there is more "screen" in you line of sight and the pixels would be larger on the 65, but again, it's very subjective. All I can tell you for certain, is when I put a meter on each set, the peak brightness with a 10% window, is roughly in the same ball park, after calibration.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got it John, thank you. Is the slower menu on the B6 really noticable? Is there a lag in response? Or do you only see it when comparing directly to the higher models?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Got it John, thank you. Is the slower menu on the B6 really noticable? Is there a lag in response? Or do you only see it when comparing directly to the higher models?
I will say - I have not found the menu system on my B6 to be overly slow at all - and I've been in the menus a LOT since I bought the set (trying to resolve judder issues, mainly). It's actually pretty responsive. I definitely wouldn't let that aspect alter you choice between the two sets.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
With most of these comparisons, you will probably not notice a difference unless you put the two sets side by side so, i'm not saying that the B6 menu system is slow, but if you have seen a C, E, or G or put them side by side, they will be and feel faster than the B. The speed of the menu system on the B is fine. The only reason why I mentioned it was because that's really the only thing besides the way the set calibrates that's different than the rest. Not bad, just a little different due to the SOC in the B.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Another stupid question - I noticed that on the LG website, they always have "Refresh Rate" listed as "-" (no value). These sets are all 120hz, correct (I thought I saw that somewhere)? Curious why LG purposely doesn't list a value for the Refresh Rate in the Tech Specs on their site...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
It's your wallet but that's worth $1000 to you (over a B6)??
Please let's not start this discussion :eek:

Everyone should make their purchase based on their budget and what features are important to them.

I spent the time giving my experience to demonstrate that all the models are the same except for two minor items on the B due to the different SOC which at the end of the day, as you are implying, will not make a difference in the PQ or the use of the set. All are excellent. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
What about apps (outside of actual firmware). Do they get the same updates on the B6 (at the same time) as on the E6? I was browsing the G6/E6 owner thread and the G6 received a Youtube update that enabled Youtube's HDR content while the E6 didn't get that update yet.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
The thing is, I can actually get the E6 for just 300 bucks more than the B6. That's the only reason why I am actually looking into it. If the E6 were 1000 more, I wouldn't even consider it :)
Right and for $300, you get better sound if you are not using an AVR or external sound bar and 3D if you ever use it, and the picture on glass if that matters.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
What about apps (outside of actual firmware). Do they get the same updates on the B6 (at the same time) as on the E6? I was browsing the G6/E6 owner thread and the G6 received a Youtube update that enabled Youtube's HDR content while the E6 didn't get that update yet.
Last response for the day lol.

No one really knows how they decide to do the updates. I do know that the B gets it's own update, the C, E & G usually get the same update, but as you said the G sometimes get's it's own update.

I'm not worried about LG supporting the entire line so I wouldn't worry about the updates. They are all excellent sets and you can't go wrong with any model.

Reactions: funkahdafi

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having major motion issues on my b6. I get a sort of halo / aura around kind of pixel noise around fast moving objects, on all sources i tested. (the major streaming services, tv via a external dvb c receiver) eve hdr I games from ps pro.
Since truemotion is set to of in a modified hdr standart mode I don't think that it's caused by truemotion.
Diese anybody else have noticed that on a b6? Is this evident for the c6 as well or may this be caused by a too slow processor?

·
Registered
7,068 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any thoughts about this new article that have some reference about oled ir/burn in.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/94-home-theater-gaming/2685681-why-quantum-dot-hdr-uhd-tvs-better-gaming.html#post49146657

I mean I'm not a gamer but I have two consoles under the christmas tree.Never had a problem when I had my plasmas and this will be my first try on gaming.
Burn in is not a problem on these sets. OLED is light years ahead of plasma. The TVs have built in automatic functions to take care of any outlying IR issues. I played Bioshock Infinite straight through on my B6 over the Thanksgiving weekend. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Burn in is not a problem on these sets. OLED is light years ahead of plasma. The TVs have built in automatic functions to take care of any outlying IR issues. I played Bioshock Infinite straight through on my B6 over the Thanksgiving weekend. No issues whatsoever.
Thank you. Then I don't understand why imagic is suggesting that QD is better for gaming and one of his reasons is because of ir /burn in.

article:
http://www.avsforum.com/why-quantum-dot-hdr-uhd-tvs-are-better-for-gaming/

8321 - 8340 of 12502 Posts