AVS Forum banner

8681 - 8700 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looking for EYE CANDY for your OLED ... watch this free IMAX documentary on VUDU MOVIES ON US ... called "UNDER THE SEA" ... report back!
Over the weekend, an unexpected (though it should have been) bonus of OLED popped up. I was watching The Creature from the Black Lagoon and a few Ealing Comedies. All black and white. With proper blacks and proper contrast, black and white films really pop.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hello all,

I have a question regarding TV choice. I am very interested in the 65 E6P. I had an older LG LCD tv from about 6 years ago that has run its course. Most of my viewing is done at night for the most part. The television would be going in my den, which doesn't have much ambient light at all. Only one window and it doesn't face in the direction of where the TV is located. The walls are made of knotty pine wood, so it's darker overall.

I watch more U-Verse/cable content than anything else. Only, watch movies occasionally. I've heard some negative things about the upscaling/motion from the OLED's and that gives me pause. My question is, which would suit my situation better, to go with an OLED television or go with an LCD, like the Sony Z9D or Samsung that is brighter? Also, would it be wise to wait for the 2017 models to be released or just take the plunge now? Just want to figure out if the improvements will be that substantial where it would be wise to hold out longer. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
IMO, your use case screams OLED. They rule in dark rooms and its not even close. Oh, and they are damned good in bright rooms too. The LCDs will get brighter but whats the tangible value of that versus perfect blacks and unlimited contrast? Motion is decent - not as good as the best plasmas but the contrls can be fine tuned to your liking. I find motion to be fine on my E6. The 3D is also terrific if you care about that. Scaling works great. My 1080p blu-ray movies heve never looked better. Ever. Quality streams & antenna signals also look super. Cant go wrong.

You can always hold out for the next new or big thing but the 2016 OLEDs are excellent TVs. The data is out there! ;) Life is short, get a TV and enjoy it. You could wait for the 2017 models but they'l cost more and the improvements are not life-changing at all. IMO. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've heard some negative things about the upscaling/motion from the OLED's and that gives me pause.
I've probably been one of the most "vocal" critics of the motion processing on the LG OLED sets. But I wanted to give a little more detail here... The issue does NOT affect ALL material. I have NO issues with motion with things like live sports and a lot of non-movie cable content. Where I have motion-processing-related issues is with movies - I'm guessing it affects 24p movies that are delivered via 30i/60i/60p. I don't understand all of the technicalities, so that may be a bad description, but the motion is fantastic for things like football and hockey.

However, I notice the "stuttering/juddering" on a lot of movies - from all sources - including cable, Netflix and UHD bluray movies (to a lesser extent). I think a lot of my dissatisfaction around motion handling has a lot to do with the fact that I prefer smooth motion - and the TV I came from handled "smoothing" very well compared to the LG OLED set. I can actually get the smooth motion that I like on the LG by bumping up the de-judder setting, however, it causes VERY annoying "side effects" that my previous set didn't - and the side-effects are even worse than the stuttering, so I just cannot get an acceptable amount of smoothing on my LG B6.

I have noticed that I'm starting to get used to it though. So maybe it won't be a huge long-term issue. It really depends on whether or not you like the artificial "smoothing" that most sets offer, how good the smoothing effect was on your previous set (aka what you're used to) and how sensitive you are to "judder" in general. Most people here seem perfectly happy with the motion handling. It's just that I was used to the smoothing effect of my previous set - and the LG is just not as good at smoothing (basically, the LG "Smooth" setting is almost useless due to the amount of artifacts it creates).

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
24P judder does not bother me so much. What bothers me more is the constant hitching/stuttering when watching broadcast TV in the UK. I have turned everything off including Real Cinema and I still get the occasional stutter on head movements, scene changes and pans. I don't think Real Cinema is disabled on 50i/Hz signals as it always passes the 24P Rtings test whether it is enabled or disabled so it 'may' be the issue I am seeing. The trouble is it's fairly random and non-repeatable on a live TV recording rewind.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I've probably been one of the most "vocal" critics of the motion processing on the LG OLED sets. But I wanted to give a little more detail here... The issue does NOT affect ALL material. I have NO issues with motion with things like live sports and a lot of non-movie cable content. Where I have motion-processing-related issues is with movies - I'm guessing it affects 24p movies that are delivered via 30i/60i/60p. I don't understand all of the technicalities, so that may be a bad description, but the motion is fantastic for things like football and hockey.

However, I notice the "stuttering/juddering" on a lot of movies - from all sources - including cable, Netflix and UHD bluray movies (to a lesser extent). I think a lot of my dissatisfaction around motion handling has a lot to do with the fact that I prefer smooth motion - and the TV I came from handled "smoothing" very well compared to the LG OLED set. I can actually get the smooth motion that I like on the LG by bumping up the de-judder setting, however, it causes VERY annoying "side effects" that my previous set didn't - and the side-effects are even worse than the stuttering, so I just cannot get an acceptable amount of smoothing on my LG B6.

I have noticed that I'm starting to get used to it though. So maybe it won't be a huge long-term issue. It really depends on whether or not you like the artificial "smoothing" that most sets offer, how good the smoothing effect was on your previous set (aka what you're used to) and how sensitive you are to "judder" in general. Most people here seem perfectly happy with the motion handling. It's just that I was used to the smoothing effect of my previous set - and the LG is just not as good at smoothing (basically, the LG "Smooth" setting is almost useless due to the amount of artifacts it creates).

Try Dejudder at 2-3 & DeBlur at whatever value you like. Might help. They did release firmware recently that does help with this. I beilieve its 4.30.90 or something like that. I pulled it dwon from LGs website as the TV did not grab it via automatic updates which was strange. I used a USB stick and it worked perfectly.

Overall - I havent had any problems but everyone is different as to what they see or dont see.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Try Dejudder at 2-3 & DeBlur at whatever value you like. Might help. They did release firmware recently that does help with this. I beilieve its 4.30.90 or something like that. I pulled it dwon from LGs website as the TV did not grab it via automatic updates which was strange. I used a USB stick and it worked perfectly.

Overall - I havent had any problems but everyone is different as to what they see or dont see.
Believe me - I've spent TONS of time trying to adjust motion-related settings. In the end, I just can't get the smoothness on this TV (without artifacts) that I could on my previous Vizio LCD set. The new firmware didn't change anything in this respect - I spent a considerable amount of time re-testing after manually installing it.

I currently use a de-judder setting of 2 - any higher and it creates too many artifacts. To get the same level of smoothness that I get on my older Vizio (with it's "Smooth" option set to "Medium"), I need to put de-judder up to about 6 - but then motion artifacts are way too distracting. And I'm really not very "critical" when it comes to this stuff (seriously!) - but the motion issues on the LG were immediately noticeable after watching the Vizio for the past 4 years. It's obvious that the LG motion processing just isn't as good as other brands. I'm certainly not the first people to come to mention that. Apparently, this also affects LG LCD sets. To see the smoothness difference that I'm talking about, try toggling TruMotion from "Off" to "Smooth" while watching something - you'll see what I mean by "smooth" motion! That's what I want - but without all of the side-effects that it comes with on this set.

However, like I said, it does seem that you just tend to "get used to it" after a while and it's not as distracting as it once was, but when comparing directly to the motion-processing on my Vizio, there is just no competition - it smooths so well without any of the "side effects" that you get on the LG.

It's a shame - there just isn't a single TV has does everything well. The LG OLED sets have the great blacks and contrast, but poor motion processing. A lot of the LCD sets (Vizio, Samsung, Sony) have great motion processing but backlight-related issues. Just can't seem to get everything all on one TV. :)

Maybe the new Sony OLED will change that - supposedly, Sony has top-notch upscaling and motion processing - combine that with the black levels and contrast of OLED and we just might have a winner!

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I posted this on the B/C6 thread and got zero replies, so lets see if anyone here can give me some input:

i need some feedback and suggestions please. Here is the connections I'm planning on setting up for my B6:

couple of comments/questions:

1) Directv 4k signals only work from the 4k mini genie (not the main HR54 receiver). The obvious connection would be to go from the 4k genie to the AVR, BUT, I usually dont engage or turn on the AVR generally speaking unless watching a movie and want the speakers on. This should work fine in theory, but for some reason the Kuro (or perhaps the 8802 marantz avr) sometimes didn't pass the signal thru to the TV when the avr was off, so for the past couple of years I've connected the component connection to the TV in order to bypass having to turn on the AVR.

Does ARC somehow fix this potential problem? If so, then the answer is pretty straight forward and I could just connect the 4k mini genie to the AVR and have the AVR hdmi out to the tv and all is well. But if I still have that problem, what then?

2) Since the 4k genie is somewhat slower in response to the guide, etc, I usually just used the HR54 (not the 4k genie) because of latency improvements. Now that I actually have a 4k TV coming, I'm not sure if I wanna keep using this method, but again, if not watching 4k content, I likely wanna just wanna use HR54, so I'm thinking of continuing to use the component input.... thoughts?

3) reading this thread, most people are suggesting using the TosLink output from TV to the AVR given some issues some have had with ARC. If that's the case, I'm a little puzzled on which input to put the Toslink into the AVR, given the "TV/Cable" input into the AVR's HDMI set is already taken by the Directv Reciever, and using another AUX input for the toslink Audio would be the logical choice, but when switching to the correct AUX input in the AVR would not show the appropriate video output on the TV (HDMI switching). What can I do here?

Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Believe me - I've spent TONS of time trying to adjust motion-related settings. In the end, I just can't get the smoothness on this TV (without artifacts) that I could on my previous Vizio LCD set. The new firmware didn't change anything in this respect - I spent a considerable amount of time re-testing after manually installing it.

I currently use a de-judder setting of 2 - any higher and it creates too many artifacts. To get the same level of smoothness that I get on my older Vizio (with it's "Smooth" option set to "Medium"), I need to put de-judder up to about 6 - but then motion artifacts are way too distracting. And I'm really not very "critical" when it comes to this stuff (seriously!) - but the motion issues on the LG were immediately noticeable after watching the Vizio for the past 4 years. It's obvious that the LG motion processing just isn't as good as other brands. I'm certainly not the first people to come to mention that. Apparently, this also affects LG LCD sets. To see the smoothness difference that I'm talking about, try toggling TruMotion from "Off" to "Smooth" while watching something - you'll see what I mean by "smooth" motion! That's what I want - but without all of the side-effects that it comes with on this set.

However, like I said, it does seem that you just tend to "get used to it" after a while and it's not as distracting as it once was, but when comparing directly to the motion-processing on my Vizio, there is just no competition - it smooths so well without any of the "side effects" that you get on the LG.

It's a shame - there just isn't a single TV has does everything well. The LG OLED sets have the great blacks and contrast, but poor motion processing. A lot of the LCD sets (Vizio, Samsung, Sony) have great motion processing but backlight-related issues. Just can't seem to get everything all on one TV. :)

Maybe the new Sony OLED will change that - supposedly, Sony has top-notch upscaling and motion processing - combine that with the black levels and contrast of OLED and we just might have a winner!

So what you're talking about is frame interpolation not the native motion of the set. At a dejudder value of 1 I get no issues with motion and soap opera effect is minimal. Maybe I'm not sensitive to it. I'm not usually enabling any frame interpolation features however.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So what you're talking about is frame interpolation not the native motion of the set. At a dejudder value of 1 I get no issues with motion and soap opera effect is minimal. Maybe I'm not sensitive to it. I'm not usually enabling any frame interpolation features however.
My problem is with native motion not actually working correctly. I can turn everything off and it still stutters on scene changes an pans on UK broadcast DTV. I have no problems playing movies from bluray or my PC however.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello all,

I have a question regarding TV choice. I am very interested in the 65 E6P. I had an older LG LCD tv from about 6 years ago that has run its course. Most of my viewing is done at night for the most part. The television would be going in my den, which doesn't have much ambient light at all. Only one window and it doesn't face in the direction of where the TV is located. The walls are made of knotty pine wood, so it's darker overall.

I watch more U-Verse/cable content than anything else. Only, watch movies occasionally. I've heard some negative things about the upscaling/motion from the OLED's and that gives me pause. My question is, which would suit my situation better, to go with an OLED television or go with an LCD, like the Sony Z9D or Samsung that is brighter? Also, would it be wise to wait for the 2017 models to be released or just take the plunge now? Just want to figure out if the improvements will be that substantial where it would be wise to hold out longer. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I just purchased the E6 65" model and was extremely worried about judder and the soap opera effect. When I first unpacked the TV I was horrified at how bad the motion on this TV was. Just watching Wheel of Fortune was painful compared to he Panasonic VT60 I had.

That said I determined that the issue stemmed from my A/V Receiver that was trying to upscale and with it being an older receiver caused a lot of issue. The second I turned that off my TV was perfect with motion and just as good if not better than my VT60.

So my advice to you is this.

1. Buy the TV from somewhere that has a great return policy.
2. Don't mount it right away, just set it on a table to test.
3. Make sure your sources go right into the TV at first. "Wish I had done this to start vs using my receiver which caused issues"

This way you can properly test the TV and make sure it's for you.

This forum has also been awesome. People are honestly extremely nice on here and always willing to answer questions or help troubleshoot. One of the few places where you don't find many rude people if any.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cable is terrible so of course u will see alot of crap in it. You say when watching blu ray etc it's great well that should tell you that your TV is fine it's the garbage cable that is the culprit. My thing is if it's not a mess on every single thing i watch then it's not the tv. HD cable will always be a mixed bag. You can change from a beautiful show on tnt and turn to the very next channel and it would look terrible.
Yeah, just to compare apples to apples Spectre was running on my HD cable last night and I was watching it to start. When Bond goes to visit Mr. White the cabin scene has some super dark scenes. On cable it was brutal.

Fired up my Plex via NVIDIA Shield and what a difference. I'm leaning towards cancelling cable and just downloading everything. I just find the quality is so poor and I DVR almost everything anyways.

I'd miss having live baseball but for what I spend on cable in a year it's worth it to maybe not even bother.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Correct. I honestly never even realized that my Vizio was performing "frame interpolation" - it must have came defaulted with the "Smooth" effect enabled and I just thought the way that the motion was so smooth was just "normal". So after watching it like that for 4 years and then getting the LG, I quickly realized just how nice and smooth things were on the Vizio - and that if I disable the "Smooth" effect, things are "jerky" in comparison.

From what I gather, this super-smooth motion is called "Soap Opera Effect"? If that's what it's called, then I love it! Not sure why anyone wouldn't want nice smooth motion (unless you get tons of artifacts like you do on the LG). When it's done right, it's really nice!

Like I said, while watching something on cable, try enabling/disabling the TruMotion "Smooth" feature (it takes effect right away, so you can switch it on/off while watching) - to me, it makes a dramatic difference (for the better) with it enabled - but if you leave it enabled, you'll quickly see what I'm taking about in terms of artifacts/side-effects. On the Vizio, I get that smooth motion without any of the artifacts - and I just became used to that and thought it was "normal".

So it all depends on whether or not you like the smooth motion and if so, if your previous set performed it well and you became used to it. :) If you did, then the LG motion interpolation will definitely be a disappointment. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Use optical out of the TV- same sound quality, ARC does not output beyond standard DD. On a side note, please compare the picture quality of Netflix between your Chromecast Ultra and the internal LG streamer if you would? I find my Philips UHD player has a little better PQ over the internal streamer but it might be placebo.
Unfortunately, I won't get Atmos over optical. I'm guessing I just have to wait for a better streamer that comes out that supports everything and works with my Onkyo.

In the meantime, I didn't notice any difference between internal vs Chromecast, but it might be too subtle for me to catch.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts

Fair enough - everyone is different with what bothers them or not. If youve tried every dejudder setting then it probably wont help. Someone here posted they have it set to 1 and like the results. I agree on setting it too high being an issue though!

Sony might change that but I betchya there will be some other issue. Every TV has them. I think OLED is still the easy choice though over ANY LCD. Blacks, contrast, and viewing angles are essentially perfect and the first two in that list basically set the table for everything else. :)

Upscaling Id argue is excellent on the LG. My blu-rays and even good streaming/antenna feeds look amazingly awesome. Zero issues there. With Sony you may very well get better motion handling though. We shall see. :)

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
A person just called about a UN55KS8000, for normal TV viewing, buy a used plasma on craiglist I told him :)

This is why I didn't purchase from you and ended up paying a couple hundred more. That's a terrible attitude towards customers!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
OK - does the built-in YouTube app on my 2016 65" E6 support HDR or not? Cant get a straight answer. It doesnt appear to...

?????

·
Registered
315 Posts
(Posted this in wrong thread originally)

For those of you that are disheartened by the lack of 3D on LG's 2017 lineup, here is one of the only articles that I've found that discusses this. It also has a link to a petition for LG to bring it back. LG does listen to its customers as evidenced by them bringing a game mode to HDR, so maybe it will have some effect, can't hurt. I think the general 3D consumer isn't even aware this is happening. For those of us that bought a 2016 OLED with 3D being one of the main reasons for purchase (such as my family), this is quite a blow if something happens to our tv prematurely. http://www.3-dreview.com
As I've noted in the 3D room, I was originally going to keep my 3D LED TV for another year before buying into OLED, but am now seriously considering buying the 65" c6. I would keep that model for three years before upgrading it to a 2020 OLED, and apparently being forced to finally give up 3D.

I know I have to act fast on this, and so I am asking the members of this forum who own the c6 to give me some much-needed info on this TV that I can't really get anywhere else. My questions are as follows:

1. I read on Amazon a critique from one customer who said that the TV was too fragile, and I got the impression that if a person just breathed on it, it would shatter into a million pieces. I've read that nowhere else, but could you please comment on that? I have no children in my house, and I take extra-good care of my Home Theater equipment, but is there anything for me to worry about?

2. I've read that motion-judder isn't a major problem for the c6 except with 24fps blu-rays or 4k blu-rays. I have the anti-judder setting at its lowest level on my LED TV because I hate the soap-opera effect, and so I do have occasional judder during panning. I don't have a problem with that, and I notice that the same thing happens to movies in our local theaters. Should I have anything to be concerned about with the c6?

3. When I viewed the b6 at our local B&M I decided to stand 11 feet away, three feet to the left of the left edge of the screen, and I noticed no color shift. This is the area I sit in when I have company over. Would I have any problem with color-shift on the c6?

4. What about the curve? Looking directly at the screen there won't be a problem, but is it at all distracting to you when sitting at an angle?

5. Finally, how complex will it be to properly set the TV up for HDR 4k viewing, and for getting the best overall broadcast picture? I have to give my Sony credit for one thing: setting it up was super-simple. I expect some work with the c6, but I hope I don't have to have a chemist's degree to produce a satisfactory picture.

Please forgive me for asking all these questions, but as time is a factor here, any input from the members here would be appreciated more than I can tell you. Thanks for all opinions and advice.

8681 - 8700 of 12502 Posts