AVS Forum banner

8701 - 8720 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
As I've noted in the 3D room, I was originally going to keep my 3D LED TV for another year before buying into OLED, but am now seriously considering buying the 65" c6. I would keep that model for three years before upgrading it to a 2020 OLED, and apparently being forced to finally give up 3D.

I know I have to act fast on this, and so I am asking the members of this forum who own the c6 to give me some much-needed info on this TV that I can't really get anywhere else. My questions are as follows:

1. I read on Amazon a critique from one customer who said that the TV was too fragile, and I got the impression that if a person just breathed on it, it would shatter into a million pieces. I've read that nowhere else, but could you please comment on that? I have no children in my house, and I take extra-good care of my Home Theater equipment, but is there anything for me to worry about?

2. I've read that motion-judder isn't a major problem for the c6 except with 24fps blu-rays or 4k blu-rays. I have the anti-judder setting at its lowest level on my LED TV because I hate the soap-opera effect, and so I do have occasional judder during panning. I don't have a problem with that, and I notice that the same thing happens to movies in our local theaters. Should I have anything to be concerned about with the c6?

3. When I viewed the b6 at our local B&M I decided to stand 11 feet away, three feet to the left of the left edge of the screen, and I noticed no color shift. This is the area I sit in when I have company over. Would I have any problem with color-shift on the c6?

4. What about the curve? Looking directly at the screen there won't be a problem, but is it at all distracting to you when sitting at an angle?

5. Finally, how complex will it be to properly set the TV up for HDR 4k viewing, and for getting the best overall broadcast picture? I have to give my Sony credit for one thing: setting it up was super-simple. I expect some work with the c6, but I hope I don't have to have a chemist's degree to produce a satisfactory picture.

Please forgive me for asking all these questions, but as time is a factor here, any input from the members here would be appreciated more than I can tell you. Thanks for all opinions and advice.
If I may, at the risk of trying the patience of members in this room, I would like to ask just one more question on the c6. Please forgive me for that. What I'd like to ask about regards details displayed in near-dark areas. I know that on my TV a near-black picture often crushes shadows. And so I'm asking if there can be a calibrated improvement in this area with the c6. Thanks for any help you can give me with my question.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
If I may, at the risk of trying the patience of members in this room, I would like to ask just one more question on the c6. Please forgive me for that. What I'd like to ask about regards details displayed in near-dark areas. I know that on my TV a near-black picture often crushes shadows. And so I'm asking if there can be a calibrated improvement in this area with the c6. Thanks for any help you can give me with my question.
Try this.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2579537-lg-oleds-how-enhance-near-black-detail.html

·
Registered
240 Posts
As I've noted in the 3D room, I was originally going to keep my 3D LED TV for another year before buying into OLED, but am now seriously considering buying the 65" c6. I would keep that model for three years before upgrading it to a 2020 OLED, and apparently being forced to finally give up 3D.

I know I have to act fast on this, and so I am asking the members of this forum who own the c6 to give me some much-needed info on this TV that I can't really get anywhere else. My questions are as follows:

1. I read on Amazon a critique from one customer who said that the TV was too fragile, and I got the impression that if a person just breathed on it, it would shatter into a million pieces. I've read that nowhere else, but could you please comment on that? I have no children in my house, and I take extra-good care of my Home Theater equipment, but is there anything for me to worry about?

2. I've read that motion-judder isn't a major problem for the c6 except with 24fps blu-rays or 4k blu-rays. I have the anti-judder setting at its lowest level on my LED TV because I hate the soap-opera effect, and so I do have occasional judder during panning. I don't have a problem with that, and I notice that the same thing happens to movies in our local theaters. Should I have anything to be concerned about with the c6?

3. When I viewed the b6 at our local B&M I decided to stand 11 feet away, three feet to the left of the left edge of the screen, and I noticed no color shift. This is the area I sit in when I have company over. Would I have any problem with color-shift on the c6?

4. What about the curve? Looking directly at the screen there won't be a problem, but is it at all distracting to you when sitting at an angle?

5. Finally, how complex will it be to properly set the TV up for HDR 4k viewing, and for getting the best overall broadcast picture? I have to give my Sony credit for one thing: setting it up was super-simple. I expect some work with the c6, but I hope I don't have to have a chemist's degree to produce a satisfactory picture.

Please forgive me for asking all these questions, but as time is a factor here, any input from the members here would be appreciated more than I can tell you. Thanks for all opinions and advice.
I understand you have questions and are eager to hear opinions and advice from others and like you I had some of the same reservations. Advise and opinions from others are great but knowing from your own personal experience can't be beat. During the Christmas holiday when I had a week off from work, I went and purchased my 2016 65" B6 Oled just to test with the notion of returning it. I had no plans of keeping it and just had to see for myself if it truly was worth an upgrade. Long story short, it exceeded all my expectations and has a permanent place in my media room. Although I missed the Black Friday pricing and did pay more, it's still worth every penny. If I had returned it, it would have cost me NO money out of my pocket and just some time during the holiday but I would have had a definitive answer to all my inquiries. Only way to know for sure is to get it and try it for yourself, just buy from a retailer with no restocking fee for returns. Best of luck.

https://s23.postimg.org/664fdcqa3/IMG_0282.jpg

C.K

·
Registered
702 Posts

I have an E6 but can give you some input as well in case no one responds regarding the curved screen, as otherwise the panels are very similar,

1) That's silly. I had an EF9500 that was similar form factor to the C6, but not curved. It was a bit wobbly, but if you don't have children you don't have to worry. And even then, you could always secure the TV if it was a concern.

2)If you are used to some normal film cadence judder from 24p sources, you will have no issues.

3) I can't relate to how the curve performs, but all LG OLEDs do have a very mild color shift that's really only noticable from steep angles and on very bright scenes. So you probably wouldn't notice at 3feet, nor on a demo at best buy. The B6 could be an exception if the color shift is caused by the 3D filter.

4) Don't know about the curve

5) For UHD sources over HDMI, As long as you have a decent/recent 18gbit/s HDMI cable, are going short distances and have access to the internet if you have problems - you'll figure it out. Even if you have to go long distances, I found a cable that works at 4k 60hz 4:4:4 at 40ft.

6) Bonus question - see the link wxman posted - you can definitely eek out plenty of detail near black.

Reactions: RIppolito

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
If you aren't buying a TV to watch either UHD disc or UHD streaming content, I don't know that I would shell out for a flagship of any model.

Cable content really isn't high enough quality to make any of them shine.
Full HD streaming content look magnificent on the OLED.

4K content is still minimal.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I understand you have questions and are eager to hear opinions and advice from others and like you I had some of the same reservations. Advise and opinions from others are great but knowing from your own personal experience can't be beat. During the Christmas holiday when I had a week off from work, I went and purchased my 2016 65" B6 Oled just to test with the notion of returning it. I had no plans of keeping it and just had to see for myself if it truly was worth an upgrade. Long story short, it exceeded all my expectations and has a permanent place in my media room. Although I missed the Black Friday pricing and did pay more, it's still worth every penny. If I had returned it, it would have cost me NO money out of my pocket and just some time during the holiday but I would have had a definitive answer to all my inquiries. Only way to know for sure is to get it and try it for yourself, just buy from a retailer with no restocking fee for returns. Best of luck.

https://s23.postimg.org/664fdcqa3/IMG_0282.jpg

C.K
Love that setup

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i wish the app store had espn!
Yeah, there are a few key apps that LG's webOS is still missing, like HBO, Showtime, ESPN, Starz, Sling TV, and DirecTV Now. Hopefully some of those get added this year.

It seems like the 1st tier of TV-connected devices/OSes to get an app are Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV and Chromecast.

Then there's everything else: Android TV, Xbox, PlayStation, Samsung smart TV and (often last) LG webOS.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I posted this on the B/C6 thread and got zero replies, so lets see if anyone here can give me some input:

i need some feedback and suggestions please. Here is the connections I'm planning on setting up for my B6:

couple of comments/questions:

1) Directv 4k signals only work from the 4k mini genie (not the main HR54 receiver). The obvious connection would be to go from the 4k genie to the AVR, BUT, I usually dont engage or turn on the AVR generally speaking unless watching a movie and want the speakers on. This should work fine in theory, but for some reason the Kuro (or perhaps the 8802 marantz avr) sometimes didn't pass the signal thru to the TV when the avr was off, so for the past couple of years I've connected the component connection to the TV in order to bypass having to turn on the AVR.

Does ARC somehow fix this potential problem? If so, then the answer is pretty straight forward and I could just connect the 4k mini genie to the AVR and have the AVR hdmi out to the tv and all is well. But if I still have that problem, what then?

2) Since the 4k genie is somewhat slower in response to the guide, etc, I usually just used the HR54 (not the 4k genie) because of latency improvements. Now that I actually have a 4k TV coming, I'm not sure if I wanna keep using this method, but again, if not watching 4k content, I likely wanna just wanna use HR54, so I'm thinking of continuing to use the component input.... thoughts?

3) reading this thread, most people are suggesting using the TosLink output from TV to the AVR given some issues some have had with ARC. If that's the case, I'm a little puzzled on which input to put the Toslink into the AVR, given the "TV/Cable" input into the AVR's HDMI set is already taken by the Directv Reciever, and using another AUX input for the toslink Audio would be the logical choice, but when switching to the correct AUX input in the AVR would not show the appropriate video output on the TV (HDMI switching). What can I do here?

Thanks! :confused:

I have an 8802a and do not use a optical cable, ARC works fine. You just need to turn on SIMLINK (HDMI-CEC). In that section turn the first on "on" and turn off auto power sync. Then under sound out check Digital sound out and put it on auto and turn on SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC). The quirk i have noticed is that the 8802a will default to TV AUDIO everytime you turn it off and back on. Other than that ARC works fine. I do not have a UHD player yet buy when i do I am going to use another HDMI input on the tv directly to the Blu Ray output on the 8802a. Also by setting up ARC I am able to listen to all of the TV apps through my home theater speakers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have an E6 but can give you some input as well in case no one responds regarding the curved screen, as otherwise the panels are very similar,

1) That's silly. I had an EF9500 that was similar form factor to the C6, but not curved. It was a bit wobbly, but if you don't have children you don't have to worry. And even then, you could always secure the TV if it was a concern.

2)If you are used to some normal film cadence judder from 24p sources, you will have no issues.

3) I can't relate to how the curve performs, but all LG OLEDs do have a very mild color shift that's really only noticable from steep angles and on very bright scenes. So you probably wouldn't notice at 3feet, nor on a demo at best buy. The B6 could be an exception if the color shift is caused by the 3D filter.

4) Don't know about the curve

5) For UHD sources over HDMI, As long as you have a decent/recent 18gbit/s HDMI cable, are going short distances and have access to the internet if you have problems - you'll figure it out. Even if you have to go long distances, I found a cable that works at 4k 60hz 4:4:4 at 40ft.

6) Bonus question - see the link wxman posted - you can definitely eek out plenty of detail near black.
I very much appreciate the replies I've gotten to my questions. The reason that I'm trying to gain as much user information on the c6 is two-fold: our local B&M only plays the same demo loop in a brightly lighted showroom, giving me no realistic chance to critique an OLED TV, and I would buy the c6 from an authorized LG dealer in another state that would save me $1,630. Please understand that I believe in supporting local businesses, but that price difference is too much for me to buy at a B&M store. The downside is that I can't return the TV if I don't like it, due to its extremely low price. I've bought from this nationally-known business before, and had excellent service, so I have no problem in that direction, but once I've bought the c6 it's mine for good, with no tryout return option.

Again, thanks for all help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a stupid question...

Does anyone know if my new LG OLED55E6P is able to display YouTube HDR content in actual HDR? I do not have a Chromecast Ultra, but I'm wondering if the recent firmware updates for the TV have allowed the TV to now display YouTube HDR content without the need for Chromecast Ultra. Can anyone confirm this? LG does not seem to disclose what the updates entail.

My guess is that the firmware update has indeed added HDR for YouTube, just based on watching the content with my own eyes. The HDR videos on YouTube (videos with "HDR" in the title that are obviously demos) appear to have richer colors and brighter highlights, particularly with light sources, such as fire, light bulbs and sunshine. The HDR seems to have a "glow" with colors, fire, sunlight and other lighting objects. But maybe it's just in my head, I don't know.

Are there any test images or test videos out there that can confirm whether I'm actually seeing HDR content displayed on my TV?

·
Registered
649 Posts
What else did they drop from the 2017 models that you would hopefully see in the future models then?

I'd personally rather see specific numbers for who 3D is still important for in new sets than a single petition asking that we get HLG and Youtube HDR on the 2016 sets as they're two different areas as the numbers would be skewed.

This is purely to show LG there are still people out there wanting to consume their existing 3D content that they've paid a premium for.
Agreed 100%. Dropping 3D is a huge disappointment for tons of 3D fans who have spent thousands on 3D discs, only to be left without new 3D TVs to play them on in the future. It deserves a separate petition. My only gripe with the petition is there's no mention of LCD, and honestly, 3D should be available on both LCD and OLED sets. OLED isn't suitable for everyone. I currently own an LCD but this decision affects all 3D fans, LCD and OLED, and my next set might have been an OLED. The lack of 3D changes everything for me.

But the whole point of the petition is to show LG that people are concerned about the lack of 3D in future models. It should not be lumped in with other issues.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So my advice to you is this.

1. Buy the TV from somewhere that has a great return policy.
2. Don't mount it right away, just set it on a table to test.
3. Make sure your sources go right into the TV at first. "Wish I had done this to start vs using my receiver which caused issues"

This way you can properly test the TV and make sure it's for you.
This is very good advice- a lot of complaining/ hand-wringing could have been avoided on this forum if others followed this (in particular point #3)!

This should be added to the first page here

·
Registered
416 Posts
Unfortunately, I won't get Atmos over optical. I'm guessing I just have to wait for a better streamer that comes out that supports everything and works with my Onkyo.

In the meantime, I didn't notice any difference between internal vs Chromecast, but it might be too subtle for me to catch.
Yeah- Chromecast Ultra is close but no Amazon (understood) and Roku does not have DV. If Roku added DV I would buy it THAT DAY- here me Roku? Both would allow us Vudu w/ Atmos and at the very least DD+ (which I feel I can hear improvement over my system vs regular DD).

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
I have a stupid question...

Does anyone know if my new LG OLED55E6P is able to display YouTube HDR content in actual HDR? I do not have a Chromecast Ultra, but I'm wondering if the recent firmware updates for the TV have allowed the TV to now display YouTube HDR content without the need for Chromecast Ultra. Can anyone confirm this? LG does not seem to disclose what the updates entail.

My guess is that the firmware update has indeed added HDR for YouTube, just based on watching the content with my own eyes. The HDR videos on YouTube (videos with "HDR" in the title that are obviously demos) appear to have richer colors and brighter highlights, particularly with light sources, such as fire, light bulbs and sunshine. The HDR seems to have a "glow" with colors, fire, sunlight and other lighting objects. But maybe it's just in my head, I don't know.

Are there any test images or test videos out there that can confirm whether I'm actually seeing HDR content displayed on my TV?
Unless you see a notification/popup revealing "HDR" in the upper right-hand corner, the TV is not decoding the HDR signal. This is pretty surprising actually, as the G6 has had the feature for at least a month (finally a tangible perk for the signature over the others :p).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I posted this on the B/C6 thread and got zero replies, so lets see if anyone here can give me some input:

i need some feedback and suggestions please. Here is the connections I'm planning on setting up for my B6:

couple of comments/questions:

1) Directv 4k signals only work from the 4k mini genie (not the main HR54 receiver). The obvious connection would be to go from the 4k genie to the AVR, BUT, I usually dont engage or turn on the AVR generally speaking unless watching a movie and want the speakers on. This should work fine in theory, but for some reason the Kuro (or perhaps the 8802 marantz avr) sometimes didn't pass the signal thru to the TV when the avr was off, so for the past couple of years I've connected the component connection to the TV in order to bypass having to turn on the AVR.

Does ARC somehow fix this potential problem? If so, then the answer is pretty straight forward and I could just connect the 4k mini genie to the AVR and have the AVR hdmi out to the tv and all is well. But if I still have that problem, what then?

2) Since the 4k genie is somewhat slower in response to the guide, etc, I usually just used the HR54 (not the 4k genie) because of latency improvements. Now that I actually have a 4k TV coming, I'm not sure if I wanna keep using this method, but again, if not watching 4k content, I likely wanna just wanna use HR54, so I'm thinking of continuing to use the component input.... thoughts?

3) reading this thread, most people are suggesting using the TosLink output from TV to the AVR given some issues some have had with ARC. If that's the case, I'm a little puzzled on which input to put the Toslink into the AVR, given the "TV/Cable" input into the AVR's HDMI set is already taken by the Directv Reciever, and using another AUX input for the toslink Audio would be the logical choice, but when switching to the correct AUX input in the AVR would not show the appropriate video output on the TV (HDMI switching). What can I do here?

Thanks! :confused:
I would ditch the component cable and get an HDMI splitter and go to the TV and AVR.

I would send the Roku to the AVR.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unless you see a notification/popup revealing "HDR" in the upper right-hand corner, the TV is not decoding the HDR signal. This is pretty surprising actually, as the G6 has had the feature for at least a month (finally a tangible perk for the signature over the others :p).
Are you sure about that? Well, when I watch Dolby Vision content, I see the notification in the upper right corner. But I have yet to see the HDR notification at all. When I watch Netflix, I cannot find any HDR content whatsoever. Just Dolby Vision. But I think that's because Netflix prioritizes Dolby Vision over HDR if you have a TV that is capable of doing both. So, I think all Netflix HDR content is also available in Dolby Vision, for that matter. So I'll basically never be able to see HDR on Netflix on this TV. That's okay though, because Dolby Vision is the superior format anyway.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Correct, Dolby Vision *is* the only HDR you will see on Netflix with these TVs. Amazon Prime has a sampling of plain vanilla HDR10 if you want to see the logo I'm referencing. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Correct, Dolby Vision *is* the only HDR you will see on Netflix with these TVs. Amazon Prime has a sampling of plain vanilla HDR10 if you want to see the logo I'm referencing. :)
I have had a hard time finding Dolby Vision content on Netflix that looks impressive. I didn't think Daredevil was impressive at all. It's quite grainy. Same with Jessica Jones. However, I thought The Do-Over and The Ridiculous 6 are both somewhat impressive. I noticed that dark scenes look great and you can see excellent shadow detail. It's just too bad that there's such limited content for Dolby Vision / HDR. I hope this changes soon. :(

8701 - 8720 of 12502 Posts