AVS Forum banner

10081 - 10100 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
FYI...Thinking of getting a Chromecast Ultra and ran across this listing of YouTube UHD HDR videos with my due diligence.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV6PNz895rnPtiojPsrWAHeUZWMCqPMRT
I purchased the ultra about a week ago.
These videos are nothing short of Glorious.............. :D
Clearly I am missing something here... Isn't Chromecast basically mirrorcast, where it allows you to display on your TV what your computer's browser is running? Why not simply use the YouTube app directly on the TV?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Clearly I am missing something here... Isn't Chromecast basically mirrorcast, where it allows you to display on your TV what your computer's browser is running? Why not simply use the YouTube app directly on the TV?
Because unless you have the G6, you can not watch Youtube with HDR through the app on the B, C or E models.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
@wxman is right. The Chromecast Ultra app supports HDR. the B/C/E app currently does not.

But, also, your understanding of Chromecast is a little out. Yes, it can mirror your browser, but the apps, like Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Plex etc. use your phone/tablet for control only - a URL or playlist is passed to the Chromecast but, from then, the Chromecast establishes it's own connection to the remote server. The phone/tablet is no longer involved, except 'now playing' info is passed, so you can see the current state and the phone/tablet is able to play/pause/ffw/rew/stop or change playlist.

Reactions: I WANT MORE

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the 65e6p recently both Netflix and Amazon internal apps had updates. How do we see what was actually updated?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is there a hardware limit in with these tv to prevent hdr though the youtube app on them? seems odd if so as they say amazon does?

customer support response, to my hdr and 3d questions,

"In response to your concern, please allow us to inform you that only Amazon app does support the HDR feature that we know as of now and for more information we highly that you may contact the developer of Apps for you to confirm if they also support HDR feature or not (Ex. Netflix, YouTube, etc.). But for 3D feature, if we may ask, have you tried to play 3D movies in different sources and the issue still persists? If yes, please contact our LG Customer Service 1-800-243-0000 for further assistance and provide other possible resolution if needed."

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Is there a hardware limit in with these tv to prevent hdr though the youtube app on them? seems odd if so as they say amazon does?
Google use their own codec. For HDR you need VP9 Profile 2. On other devices the YouTube app has magically done HDR with no update once the device supports Profile 2. My guess is the LG sets will do the same. There is no reason to think this is Hardware restriction, most likely it needs a firmware update, but we don't know for sure.

P.s. LG's reply is rubbish! But no surprise there, for 1st line customer service!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts

customer support response, to my hdr and 3d questions,

"In response to your concern, please allow us to inform you that only Amazon app does support the HDR feature that we know as of now and for more information we highly that you may contact the developer of Apps for you to confirm if they also support HDR feature or not (Ex. Netflix, YouTube, etc.). But for 3D feature, if we may ask, have you tried to play 3D movies in different sources and the issue still persists? If yes, please contact our LG Customer Service 1-800-243-0000 for further assistance and provide other possible resolution if needed."
When it comes to apps, such as Amazon, netflix, youtube, etc, you are better off buying a stand alone box like the roku, chromecast, etc, as they maintain that platform better than the tv makers do with the apps on their tv's. These tv companies lose interest in the previous year's models when the new ones come out. Dont expect many future updates for the 2016 models. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Google use their own codec. For HDR you need VP9 Profile 2. On other devices the YouTube app has magically done HDR with no update once the device supports Profile 2. My guess is the LG sets will do the same. There is no reason to think this is Hardware restriction, most likely it needs a firmware update, but we don't know for sure.

P.s. LG's reply is rubbish! But no surprise there, for 1st line customer service!
how does amazon do it? some way lg supports it?
also very annoying the ps4 pro youtube does not support hdr...
i have two things should but dont... the tv app and ps4 pro app...

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
how does amazon do it? some way lg supports it?
also very annoying the ps4 pro youtube does not support hdr...
i have two things should but dont... the tv app and ps4 pro app...
The Chromecast has no issue with DV HDR when connected to the Vizio tv's. However, DV HDR does not work with the chromecast and the 2016 OLEDs from LG. There is no doubt in my mind it's an LG issue. Just watch, the 2017 models will work perfectly fine with the chromecast and display DV HDR. We will probably never see that fix on the 2016 models.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The Chromecast has no issue with DV HDR when connected to the Vizio tv's. However, DV HDR does not work with the chromecast and the 2016 OLEDs from LG. There is no doubt in my mind it's an LG issue. Just watch, the 2017 models will work perfectly fine with the chromecast and display DV HDR. We will probably never see that fix on the 2016 models.
It has nothing to do with DV. YouTube HDR is regular HDR10, just using the VP9 Profile 2 codec.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I actually do expect this will be supported. No guarantees, but.....

Let's see.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
It has nothing to do with DV. YouTube HDR is regular HDR10, just using the VP9 Profile 2 codec.
I know it doesn't. I was talking only about DV in general on the Chromecast. You can not watch DV HDR via chromecast on LG tv's. The Chromecast works fine with Vizio in regards to DV. The reason being is the Chromecast sends everything at 4:4:4 60 fps. The Vizio can handle that. The LG fails with 4:4:4 60 fps with DV HDR. The problem with Youtube through the tv app is that for some reason, LG refuses to update the B,C and E models to support HDR10 via the youtube app. This is why you need an external device such as the Chromecast, which will send HDR10 on youtube via HDMI.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Yep, the DV issue over HDMI needs fixing too. However, there is currently only 1 source of DV over HDMI, the Chromecast. Very early days. I am somewhat more optimistic, though, than you that LG will fix this when DV UHD Blu-ray arrives, probably even with their own player, as well as Oppo. We'll have to see.

p.s. Although no devices in my chain give me full information on the data stream :)mad:) the Chromecast cannot use 4K/60 4:4:4 as HDMI 2.0a (not the LG) limits that to 8-bits and cannot support HDR. I believe it uses 4:2:2 12-bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know it doesn't. I was talking only about DV in general on the Chromecast. You can not watch DV HDR via chromecast on LG tv's. The Chromecast works fine with Vizio in regards to DV. The reason being is the Chromecast sends everything at 4:4:4 60 fps. The Vizio can handle that. The LG fails with 4:4:4 60 fps with DV HDR. The problem with Youtube through the tv app is that for some reason, LG refuses to update the B,C and E models to support HDR10 via the youtube app. This is why you need an external device such as the Chromecast, which will send HDR10 on youtube via HDMI.

For what it's worth, most of the HDR10 content I've found on YouTube is demos from the TV manufacturers, and those can be downloaded and played in HDR mode via something like the Shield and Kodi, and it works in HDR mode that way. I have all the tech demos in one folder that I can go to to show off how sick the TV is for guests. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
OLED B6 Wifi Disconnects

TV is about a year old and recently started having Wifi disconnect issues. After about 1.5 hours of streaming Netflix or Amazon movies, it disconnects from the wifi and is unable to reconnect. I have FIOS using a quantum router.

I have tried a fixed wireless channels, fixed IP address, rebooting router, and always shows the same behavior. The only way to reconnect is to unplug the power going to the TV, wait a few seconds, and then it is able to reconnect and work for another 1 or 2 hours of streaming. If I limit the continues streaming to under 1 hour, and continue the next day for another hour, it appears to maintain the connection.

One additional data point. When it reaches this state that it drops connection to my router, I enabled my phone's hotspot. The TV is still able to scan for networks and sees the nearby networks, including my phone. However, just like my home network, it fails to connect to my phone's hotspot, until I unplug the TV from the wall and plug it back in later. I am leaning towards this being some type of hardware failure on the TV.

Anyone have any similar issues or ideas to further isolate the source of the problem?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
OLED B6 Wifi Disconnects

TV is about a year old and recently started having Wifi disconnect issues. After about 1.5 hours of streaming Netflix or Amazon movies, it disconnects from the wifi and is unable to reconnect. I have FIOS using a quantum router.

I have tried a fixed wireless channels, fixed IP address, rebooting router, and always shows the same behavior. The only way to reconnect is to unplug the power going to the TV, wait a few seconds, and then it is able to reconnect and work for another 1 or 2 hours of streaming. If I limit the continues streaming to under 1 hour, and continue the next day for another hour, it appears to maintain the connection.

One additional data point. When it reaches this state that it drops connection to my router, I enabled my phone's hotspot. The TV is still able to scan for networks and sees the nearby networks, including my phone. However, just like my home network, it fails to connect to my phone's hotspot, until I unplug the TV from the wall and plug it back in later. I am leaning towards this being some type of hardware failure on the TV.

Anyone have any similar issues or ideas to further isolate the source of the problem?
Are you out of warranty? Does your credit card extend the warranty?

You could of course try the wired connection, and if that's a no-go for a permanent connection, you can buy a Wi-Fi Range extender and see how that goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you out of warranty? Does your credit card extend the warranty?

You could of course try the wired connection, and if that's a no-go for a permanent connection, you can buy a Wi-Fi Range extender and see how that goes.
Just reset TV to "Initial Settings". Last attempt before I escalate to LG Repair/Warranty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
OLED B6 Wifi Disconnects

/

Agree trying a wired connection to rule out interference. Have you updated any firmware or changed settings on the router/tv lately? Seems possible it could be some sort of timeout setting if it consistently bombs out @ 1.5 hours.

10081 - 10100 of 12502 Posts