AVS Forum banner

12481 - 12500 of 12502 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Does my LG G6 do auto tone mapping or active tone mapping? I’m using a Zappiti player with the G6 & according to the specs of the 1295 chip in the Zappiti it doesn’t send MaxCLL & MaxFall to my G6.

According to Zappiti most current displays do auto or active tone mapping & they don’t need that metadata sent to them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm thinking about buying another 65E6P, but I want one with a good 3D filter alignment.

What's a good portable method I can use to test this at another person's home without being invasive to their HT system?

Is there a good test and can I just plop it on a thumbdrive or something to use with the TV's media player? Or maybe a disc with 3D test pattern?
The rabbit test is okay, download the mp4 onto a usb but note that I think they ALL rely upon scaling a 1080 picture to 4k and then you engaging the 3d conversion mode on the Tele to flip the left and right of the image, or the top and bottom into a 3d image. I'm not convinced that our TV doesn't introduce some antialias that you cannot defeat...and I cannot find the native 3d MVC formatted version of the test slides. One came up but the link was dead.
What this means is it shows some greyness through on the white slide and vice versa due to that spillover into the neighbouring pixels intended for the other eye that, in practice you should not actually see in a native 3d disc that doesn't rely on TV doing the conversion.

But the point is to look for as even rejection of one eye Vs the other evenly across the screen and with a sweet spot of at least two people on the sofa or even the full width of your screen at a stretch.

I went through 3 other Tele to get this unicorn and with some real duffers out there including those with errors easily visible in normal viewing in a bright room. But in a dark room even this is not really a binary with around 85-90% rejection I'd say, but it is totally even across the screen and you won't notice.

If you want some test disc ideas that you won't regret buying: The floating things in Avatar or that red lightsaber in Star Wars Last Jedi or the spaceships floating in the darkness of space Guardians of the Galaxy will all still look awesome. The 3d conversion of Titanic is awesome and really testing with lots of geometric shapes, and when at the end floating in the inky ocean there's absolutely no cross talk. The battle intro of the 3d conversion of T2 looks natively re-encoded. If you really want to stretch your eyes Monster from Black lagoon is native 3d and a good test and has some of the most extreme parallax I've ever seen. House of Wax too when things go into total meltdown if the TV can't handle it you'll know, trust me.

Let me know if you can't find the mp4 version of the rabbit. I may have it.

Let me know if you find a native 3d MVC encoded version of any tests.

P.s.

There's another test which relies upon SBS into 3d conversion which is numeric and lets you grade min black and max white /contrast rejection. The link is posted somewhere in this forum in the show us your 3d thread. Again let me know if you can't find the download

P.p.s.

There's another with red green blue slides that work similarly to the b/w number one but behaves more like those slides you use to calibrate contrast until you can't see the difference in max darkness and light, but in 3d. Got that too

·
Registered
421 Posts
The rabbit test is okay, download the mp4 onto a usb but note that I think they ALL rely upon scaling a 1080 picture to 4k and then you engaging the 3d conversion mode on the Tele to flip the left and right of the image, or the top and bottom into a 3d image. I'm not convinced that our TV doesn't introduce some antialias that you cannot defeat...and I cannot find the native 3d MVC formatted version of the test slides. One came up but the link was dead.
What this means is it shows some greyness through on the white slide and vice versa due to that spillover into the neighbouring pixels intended for the other eye that, in practice you should not actually see in a native 3d disc that doesn't rely on TV doing the conversion.

But the point is to look for as even rejection of one eye Vs the other evenly across the screen and with a sweet spot of at least two people on the sofa or even the full width of your screen at a stretch.

I went through 3 other Tele to get this unicorn and with some real duffers out there including those with errors easily visible in normal viewing in a bright room. But in a dark room even this is not really a binary with around 85-90% rejection I'd say, but it is totally even across the screen and you won't notice.

If you want some test disc ideas that you won't regret buying: The floating things in Avatar or that red lightsaber in Star Wars Last Jedi or the spaceships floating in the darkness of space Guardians of the Galaxy will all still look awesome. The 3d conversion of Titanic is awesome and really testing with lots of geometric shapes, and when at the end floating in the inky ocean there's absolutely no cross talk. The battle intro of the 3d conversion of T2 looks natively re-encoded. If you really want to stretch your eyes Monster from Black lagoon is native 3d and a good test and has some of the most extreme parallax I've ever seen. House of Wax too when things go into total meltdown if the TV can't handle it you'll know, trust me.

Let me know if you can't find the mp4 version of the rabbit. I may have it.

Let me know if you find a native 3d MVC encoded version of any tests.

P.s.

There's another test which relies upon SBS into 3d conversion which is numeric and lets you grade min black and max white /contrast rejection. The link is posted somewhere in this forum in the show us your 3d thread. Again let me know if you can't find the download

P.p.s.

There's another with red green blue slides that work similarly to the b/w number one but behaves more like those slides you use to calibrate contrast until you can't see the difference in max darkness and light, but in 3d. Got that too
P.p.s.

Star wars rise of Skywalker logo crawl and first few minutes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone had to have Best Buy repair or replace their TV? My 55E has developed horrible burn in. My BB plan is good for another 18 months and I need to take action. I’ve never had to use the protection. For burn in do they take it? Repair it here? Etc. What am I lookin at? Does LG even make an OLED TV with 3D anymore? How’s the new crop?

I know that’s a lot of questions. Thanks in advance. This sucks.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Has anyone had to have Best Buy repair or replace their TV? My 55E has developed horrible burn in. My BB plan is good for another 18 months and I need to take action. I’ve never had to use the protection. For burn in do they take it? Repair it here? Etc. What am I lookin at? Does LG even make an OLED TV with 3D anymore? How’s the new crop?

If it's BI the panel has to be replaced. Whether BB does that or gives you store credit for another tv is up to them. The cost to replace the screen may be more expensive than a new tv. On larger tv's they repair it in your house if they can. Whether or not 55 inch is considered large, you have to ask them.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts

Also remember, if BB replaces the tv with a new one, the warranty is no longer in effect. If you want an extended warranty on the new tv, you will have to purchase another warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also remember, if BB replaces the tv with a new one, the warranty is no longer in effect. If you want an extended warranty on the new tv, you will have to purchase another warranty.
Thanks. I’m not looking forward to this. Best Buy’s customer service has taken a huge nosedive in the past year or so. Every time I have to contact them I wonder how they’ll try to squirm out of doing the right thing this time. This will be the biggest thing I’ve ever had a problem with. I really don’t know what to expect but I’m expecting resistance

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks. I’m not looking forward to this. Best Buy’s customer service has taken a huge nosedive in the past year or so. Every time I have to contact them I wonder how they’ll try to squirm out of doing the right thing this time. This will be the biggest thing I’ve ever had a problem with. I really don’t know what to expect but I’m expecting resistance
Did you try LG first? If BB is being difficult, try LG. LG has been replacing panels for burn-in out of warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well my 55” E6 is going back to its maker due to burn-in issues. LG is doing a buyback (partial refund, and I received prepaid label to ship it back to them). They offered to replace the panel at no cost to me, but can only replace with a non-3D panel.

I’ll be buying a E9 to replace it. I asked LG about shipping me a replacement instead of a partial refund since their COGS is obviously lower than what I can buy a set for, but they said this was not an option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you try LG first? If BB is being difficult, try LG. LG has been replacing panels for burn-in out of warranty.
I haven’t tried anyone yet, BB has been increasingly more difficult for other appliance repair so I’m just anticipating. Wanted to ask around for advice first. I’m sure the TV is out of warranty, but my BB protection plan is good for another year and a half. I just don’t know which route would lead to the best resulted where to start, ideally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well my 55” E6 is going back to its maker due to burn-in issues. LG is doing a buyback (partial refund, and I received prepaid label to ship it back to them). They offered to replace the panel at no cost to me, but can only replace with a non-3D panel.

I’ll be buying a E9 to replace it. I asked LG about shipping me a replacement instead of a partial refund since their COGS is obviously lower than what I can buy a set for, but they said this was not an option.
That sucks. How long had you had yours and where did you buy it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A bit over 3 years; I bought it online. Since you bought yours from Best Buy, they should just refund you and you can get a replacement of your choice.
I don’t think they’ll do that but I’m going to contact them today. The idea of them turning my 3D tv into a non 3D Frankenstein doesn’t sit well with me. I’d rather get refunded and buy a new one.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I don’t think they’ll do that but I’m going to contact them today. The idea of them turning my 3D tv into a non 3D Frankenstein doesn’t sit well with me. I’d rather get refunded and buy a new one.
You will never get a check from BB. You will get store credit for a different tv.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Update: I’m being offered what they consider the equivalent of my TV, the BX. My other option is to apply that credit toward a GX. I’m going to start down the research rabbit hole. Any advice?

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Update: I’m being offered what they consider the equivalent of my TV, the BX. My other option is to apply that credit toward a GX. I’m going to start down the research rabbit hole. Any advice?
You don't need to spend the difference on the GX. Spend it on the CX, it uses the same chipset. BX uses an older chipset.

12481 - 12500 of 12502 Posts