AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The reports on cleanliness/virus fears are so overblown - millions of people live there and millions of tourists visit, they aren't dropping dead. I like how pampered athletes from rich countries think its a vacation which they should be provided luxuries for - God forbid you have to live in slightly bad conditions for a few weeks, while those from poorer countries are happy to go and attend in the spirit of the games. Good riddance to the idiots who refuse to go, they don't deserve any medals.

And everyone dopes, its a question of which country you are and how popular. US track and field admitted they doped but paid the officials.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
The reports on cleanliness/virus fears are so overblown - millions of people live there and millions of tourists visit, they aren't dropping dead.
Maybe not, but the condition of the sanitation system in Rio has been a huge concern for a long, long time. It was the basis for political platforms during elections and has been reported on multiple times.

eg. http://www.rioonwatch.org/?p=10892

"Every year 217,000 workers in Brazil miss work due to gastrointestinal problems linked to poor sanitation, each missing an average of seventeen hours of work. Children suffer from missing school as well. Studies show that children with access to sanitation have 18% higher educational attainment than those without access."

Reactions: Nayan

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The reports on cleanliness/virus fears are so overblown - millions of people live there and millions of tourists visit, they aren't dropping dead. I like how pampered athletes from rich countries think its a vacation which they should be provided luxuries for - God forbid you have to live in slightly bad conditions for a few weeks, while those from poorer countries are happy to go and attend in the spirit of the games. Good riddance to the idiots who refuse to go, they don't deserve any medals.

And everyone dopes, its a question of which country you are and how popular. US track and field admitted they doped but paid the officials.
And the average citizen/tourist isn't rowing in a lake that is mostly sewage, are they?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/07/26/rio-de-janeiro-dirty-water-sewage-guanabara-bay/87525622/

The first results of the study published over a year ago showed viral levels at up to 1.7 million times what would be considered worrisome in the United States or Europe. At those concentrations, swimmers and athletes who ingest just three teaspoons of water are almost certain to be infected with viruses that can cause stomach and respiratory illnesses and, more rarely, heart and brain inflammation – although whether they actually fall ill depends on a series of factors including the strength of the individual's immune system.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016-water-pollution-virus-risk-danger-swimming-sailing-rowing-chance-of-infection-almost-a7165866.html

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
And the average citizen/tourist isn't rowing in a lake that is mostly sewage, are they?
Meanwhile in the US, you get one person dying from a water-based amoeba and people are instantly too scared to go in the water, the entire center is shut down, the river bed dug up, new treatment tech installed and the the whole water system drowned in as much chemical treatment as possible.

But, you know, swimming in poo is fine if it's the norm. It's just athletes being wussies. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The thing is athletes who go to Rio will live like kings in fancy facilities. So you have to go row in a river with some bacteria, the risk of infection is still extremely low. Anyone part of an Olympic delegation isn't going to be exposed to any of the sanitation/hotel/streets so that's completely irrelevant. Its like people who refuse to go to vacation in Asia because they are afraid they'll get sick/robbed - and the risk of that happening is far greater than the risk to any athlete in Rio.

How many people who went to the World Cup got sick/died? Did they not stay in the same country for weeks? Did the facilities get a million times worse since then? Of course not. The whole thing is overblown media nonsense.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The thing is athletes who go to Rio will live like kings in fancy facilities. So you have to go row in a river with some bacteria, the risk of infection is still extremely low. Anyone part of an Olympic delegation isn't going to be exposed to any of the sanitation/hotel/streets so that's completely irrelevant. Its like people who refuse to go to vacation in Asia because they are afraid they'll get sick/robbed - and the risk of that happening is far greater than the risk to any athlete in Rio.

How many people who went to the World Cup got sick/died? Did they not stay in the same country for weeks? Did the facilities get a million times worse since then? Of course not. The whole thing is overblown media nonsense.
The World Cup was played in a variety of cities in Brazil with only a handful of games in Rio. Also, none of the events of the World Cup were held in sewage water. I wouldn't refuse to go to Brazil, but I would refuse to go into water that will make me sick if I were to accidentally ingest 3 teaspoons of it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Well there are millions of people in the US/Europe who buy bottled water, waste their money and contribute to massive ecological damage.

You're not going to instantly get sick from the water, its just the chances are higher. If the chances were high, they'd cancel rowing. Do you really think there are no precautions taken, or that people from other countries don't care about their health? And of course this doesn't explain why so many athletes in other sports are refusing to go, like the idiot Bryan brothers or the golf stars.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
The thing is athletes who go to Rio will live like kings in fancy facilities.
Eh, what? You do know that they stay in the Olympic village as they do at almost every Olympics. And just because they are built for the occasion there is absolutely no guarantee they will be well-constructed or have better facilities than any other place. A lot are glorified college dorms. If you actually bother to read the reports from Rio over the years (such as the one previously linked) you would also know that not even the wealthier areas are guaranteed to have better water sanitation and sewage conditions.

Plus, not every member of an Olympic team is a star athlete sponsored by big names. Most are regular people who have to find their own way to fund their stays.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rio-olympic-village-sounds-like-a-disaster-2016-7
"Problems include blocked toilets, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, darkened stairwells where no lighting has been installed and dirty floors in need of a massive clean," she added. "In operations areas water has come through the ceiling resulting in large puddles on the floor around cabling and wiring."

Fun photo of the open sewage drainage ditch outside the village. Happy I never stayed in a hotel anywhere with that view or TripAdvisor would be getting a very bad review! :D

Reactions: Nayan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Eh, what? You do know that they stay in the Olympic village as they do at almost every Olympics. And just because they are built for the occasion there is absolutely no guarantee they will be well-constructed or have better facilities than any other place. A lot are glorified college dorms. If you actually bother to read the reports from Rio over the years (such as the one previously linked) you would also know that not even the wealthier areas are guaranteed to have better water sanitation and sewage conditions.

Plus, not every member of an Olympic team is a star athlete sponsored by big names. Most are regular people who have to find their own way to fund their stays.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rio-olympic-village-sounds-like-a-disaster-2016-7
"Problems include blocked toilets, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, darkened stairwells where no lighting has been installed and dirty floors in need of a massive clean," she added. "In operations areas water has come through the ceiling resulting in large puddles on the floor around cabling and wiring."

Fun photo of the open sewage drainage ditch outside the village. Happy I never stayed in a hotel anywhere with that view or TripAdvisor would be getting a very bad review! :D
I think you're also missing the part where after the australian team moved in due to assurances things would be fixed, the building caught fire and they were robbed.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-olympics-2016-australian-athletes-robbed-during-fire-evacuation-at-olympic-village/news-story/79cbfd956fc44bdea5ee5b60fcd505a4

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
You may be right about the virus fears. However, the water fears don't appear to be overblown.

Most of those not participating are golfers, which you said wasn't even a sport, a few NBA players, and a handful of tennis players, so there are very few athletes not going from the U.S. or worldwide.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the triathletes will have to actually get into the bay and swim. You couldn't pay me enough; those folks have serious courage. At least the rowers and yacht-racers are floating over the sewage in boats.

And hopefully, none of the beach vollyballers will trip over a severed bodypart that may have washed up onto the "beach" as they're diving for a dig. That could be.... awkward.

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the triathletes will have to actually get into the bay and swim. You couldn't pay me enough; those folks have serious courage. At least the rowers and yacht-racers are floating over the sewage in boats.

And hopefully, none of the beach vollyballers will trip over a severed bodypart that may have washed up onto the "beach" as they're diving for a dig. That could be.... awkward.
Rowers and yacht-racers could very easily ingest just 3 teaspoons of bay water just from the spray, anyone out on that water is susceptible to a bacterial infection, especially at "1.7 million times the worrisome", it is quite literally, a sh!thole.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You may be right about the virus fears. However, the water fears don't appear to be overblown.

Most of those not participating are golfers, which you said wasn't even a sport, a few NBA players, and a handful of tennis players, so there are very few athletes not going from the U.S. or worldwide.
Yes, its not really a sport :) So the main people not going are rich golfers/Bryan bros/NBA jocks. In other words rich publicity seeking idiots. Like I said, good riddance. Why is this such a big deal then, why is everyone freaking out about 'conditions in Rio unsafe for athletes' ?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Rowers and yacht-racers could very easily ingest just 3 teaspoons of bay water just from the spray, anyone out on that water is susceptible to a bacterial infection, especially at "1.7 million times the worrisome", it is quite literally, a sh!thole.
So? You're also susceptible to disease/cancer if you ingest chemicals near a factory. There are plenty of situations people are exposed to with similar or greater risks. You make it sound that 3 teaspoons of that water is guaranteed infection which of course is utter nonsense.

Stop spreading FUD.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, its not really a sport :) So the main people not going are rich golfers/Bryan bros/NBA jocks. In other words rich publicity seeking idiots. Like I said, good riddance. Why is this such a big deal then, why is everyone freaking out about 'conditions in Rio unsafe for athletes' ?
You are joking. I can't believe you. :D

241 - 260 of 759 Posts