AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 759 Posts

·
Banned
16,643 Posts

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
I'm shocked that NBC is showing so many events live!...in prime time as well...loved the swimming events earlier tonight- Michael Phelps must be half-dolphin...nice win for Katie Ledecky as well...

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
What NBC said in the statement is actually quite logical and factually correct. Having paid $1 billion+ for this Olympics, they need the audience to show up big time, in Prime-time, on the main network, for them to pay their bills. That's unfortunately the case, money is everything to them and to the shareholders (Comcast). Putting 5 or 6 guys who are just fifth place in Men's Gymnastics for anything more than 15 minutes in prime time is "financial suicide". I would love to see the Japanese and Russian gymnasts given extended treatment, but I also know that a great part of the American sports-viewing public would not stick around for those. I counted the number of minutes given to the Japanese and Russian gymnasts in post-midnight coverage, 10 minutes. Should be more.
I wonder how real the 'Americans will only watch Americans winning' theory is and how much of it is the result of what the media decides to do. Obviously we want to watch our country, but on the world stage there are enough people who'd be happy to watch the actual drama unfold.

e.g. in tennis ESPN has for years showed us replays of Williams sisters over live men's tennis and every time all the tennis forums and sites explode with rage, but it doesn't matter because the media has chosen the narrative they want people to hear.

Other countries do this but nowhere to the extent we do. I think it stems from the general lack of international coverage in US media and thus the unawareness in the public. Olympics are a great chance to actually educate people about a sport and convert them into loyal viewers, insteasd NBC treats this as a reality show, ironically it is real :D

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the mixed metaphor.

“If they have manganese in the water, you will get a reaction depending on level of chlorination,” Henderson said. He said that it was a normal occurrence, as even a slight imbalance can cause a violent color change, and not a cause of alarm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/sports/olympics/during-diving-event-pool-transforms-from-crystal-blue-to-garishly-green.html

Now, let's return to our regularly scheduled whining....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
e.g. in tennis ESPN has for years showed us replays of Williams sisters over live men's tennis and every time all the tennis forums and sites explode with rage, but it doesn't matter because the media has chosen the narrative they want people to hear.
Tennis geeks (and cycling geeks and rowing geeks and all the rest) are an immeasurably tiny proportion of the audience and they will watch their sports anyway no matter how angry they are. NBC could not possibly serve them to their satisfaction, and still air something suitable for the millions who never watch these sports except during the Olympics.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Tennis geeks (and cycling geeks and rowing geeks and all the rest) are an immeasurably tiny proportion of the audience and they will watch their sports anyway no matter how angry they are. NBC could not possibly serve them to their satisfaction, and still air something suitable for the millions who never watch these sports except during the Olympics.
That is true. There will always be complainers about what is being shown. I have been happy with the coverage that NBC has provided. There are enough channels to switch around on DirecTV. Now back to watching the cycling time trial. We need some new cyclists in the men's category that are of the Greg Le Mond caliber. Natural talent and able to bring in new fans to the sport. The women's cycling team are very good and just missed out on a podium and possible win! They did better than the US men and should get more coverage.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Is NBC the only option of choice to watch the games? Do they have total control on what you guys like to watch and not?

About BBC, CBC, ...?

* I watched the guy in the swimming pool with over 25 medals (mostly gold), and the face he was expressing before he won more medals in the pool, in the room where another guy with his headphones on was dancing in front of him. I think this super athlete is now 31-years old. And he had a lot of airtime from NBC. Also the gymnastic women team from the USA had a lot of emphasis for their gold medal. They are the awesome five.

I love the games, when you see them all world teams, and everything that comes with it; and not just from NBC, CBC, BBC, ABC, etc., but from all world perspectives, including the finger number 1 from that female swimmer towards another swimmer, from Russia? who recently tested positive for doping and has just finished purging her sentencing/banning? Yeah, if you're number one it's cool to show it right then.

In the USA, in Canada, in Brazil, in Russia, in France, in the UK, in Australia, in China, in Japan, etc., the Rio olympic games coverage goes with their countries philosophies.
...NBC included.

* That water in that diving pool is very green. :) I thought NBC was into something @ first...

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Is NBC the only option of choice to watch the games? Do they have total control on what you guys like to watch and not?

About BBC, CBC, ...?

I love the games...
As you know the difference is BBC, CBC are state funded and NBC relies on selling ads, so to a certain extent its advertisers that call the shots. Now, back to the regularly scheduled whine that NBC is doling out nationalist propaganda....

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
In Mexico they cover most sports and Mexico is not represented in most of them (very few athletes, no medal contenders) I guess they take what they can.

Most of it on Latin America ESPN and FOX Sports, online on Claro Video (free for Telmex subscribers), some on open channels (Once TV not available in most of Mexico). The duopoly networks didn't get their hands on these Olympics.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
As you know the difference is BBC, CBC are state funded and NBC relies on selling ads, so to a certain extent it's advertisers that call the shots. Now, back to the regularly scheduled whine that NBC is doling out nationalist propaganda....
In Canada, yes the CBC is state (taxpayer) funded but they also sell ads. The CBC has also "shared" its coverage with the 2 cable sports networks, Sportsnet (owned by Rogers) and TSN (owned by Bell), and of course, there are live streams on the CBC website. CTV (private, owned by Bell) had the rights in 2010 and 2012, but quite frankly I do not notice anything different between coverage offered by state or private broadcasters here.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
As you know the difference is BBC, CBC are state funded and NBC relies on selling ads, so to a certain extent its advertisers that call the shots.
Now, back to the regularly scheduled whine that NBC is doling out nationalist propaganda....
Lol :D

* 7:31 PM right now in Rio.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I'm shocked that after all the reports, tests and studies on the water that any swimmer (from any country) is actually going to compete in it...I wonder how many swimmers are going to test positive for Zika or whatever other virus and how long it'll take before they sue the IOC
Uh, most of the swimming events are not in the highly polluted open water, but in pools of chlorinated water.
You were saying? Green pool, anyone? :D

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
Everybody's going green these days. They could call it a powerful statement about ecology or something. When life gives you lemons (or limes in this case) make lemonade. Never waste an opportunity, the PR folks will tell you.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The varying explanations for the green water (algae blooms, improper chlorination, running out of chemicals, etc.) don't inspire much confidence. Why can't the athletes get together and demand that independent testing of the water be done before they will participate in any more swimming or diving events? If a half dozen major nations said they would walk out, wouldn't the problem be solved quickly? Does NBC have any language in its TV contracts that would allow the network to get a refund if certain conditions are not met?

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
I noticed that NBC failed to show the heat with Canadian swimmer Conorelli. Even if they would have, I doubt that they would have shown him giving his father the "salute." CBC, on the other hand, specifically pointed it out and explained it the first time he did it and today they specifically showed him doing it again before his race.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The varying explanations for the green water (algae blooms, improper chlorination, running out of chemicals, etc.) don't inspire much confidence. Why can't the athletes get together and demand that independent testing of the water be done before they will participate in any more swimming or diving events? If a half dozen major nations said they would walk out, wouldn't the problem be solved quickly? Does NBC have any language in its TV contracts that would allow the network to get a refund if certain conditions are not met?
The blue of the pool is a natural extension of the symbolic representation of a limitless sky. The embodiment of the limitless potential of a world united together without fear. However, as you may know, today, a world without fear is not so. It's just a dream some of us are having while the greed of an ungoverned elite pisses on that dream and in the Olympic pool, mistaken this dream for sleep.

501 - 520 of 759 Posts