AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
spoken like a true Android fanboy.

the funny part, i'm an Android freak myself and ironically, it's the reason i didn't want my TV to run one. while, tinkering and tweaking is part of Android's "fun" on the phones, i want to avoid all of that on my TV. the picture quality is the "crack" here and if you're serious about your viewing experience in any way, once you see a unit with great picture performance you'll be happy to send settings to it via command line, you just won't care about anything else at that point.

i will assume you have zero experience with Tizen on 2015 Samsungs because it does exactly that - gives you blazing app performance and perfect picture controls with powerhouse DLNA features. i don't need to baby sit it wondering about magical updates that give false hope of an improved performance "in the next version".
I have spent a lot of time with a 2015 Tizen TV and I do have the opposite opinion. You should really spend some time with an Nvidia Shield Android TV and you will drastically change yours. If a TV manufacturer uses ****ty parts that is not reflective of the operating system itself. I also have never had to do any tinkering with Android TV but my experience was with the Shield Android TV and not the Bravias from last year (my 2016 Bravia has been great). All Android TV apps are native Java apps and not filled with a ton of HTML5 apps like on Tizen. If your an Android freak you should know that there is a huge difference in app quality when you do a web app vs a native app.

There are 1.6 million Android Apps and it only takes two small lines of code to make an Android app work on Android TV. How many Tizen apps exist? 300? Google's voice search and database is nothing Samsung will ever be able to compete with not to mention how flipping awesome it is to have built in chromecast support. You think family/friends care about DLNA when they can Google Cast anything they want to a TV? Android TV is only just getting started. The internet of things is coming and the last company leading the charge is Samsung.

·
Registered
873 Posts
spoken like a true Android fanboy.

the funny part, i'm an Android freak myself and ironically, it's the reason i didn't want my TV to run one. while, tinkering and tweaking is part of Android's "fun" on the phones, i want to avoid all of that on my TV. the picture quality is the "crack" here and if you're serious about your viewing experience in any way, once you see a unit with great picture performance you'll be happy to send settings to it via command line, you just won't care about anything else at that point.

i will assume you have zero experience with Tizen on 2015 Samsungs because it does exactly that - gives you blazing app performance and perfect picture controls with powerhouse DLNA features. i don't need to baby sit it wondering about magical updates that give false hope of an improved performance "in the next version".
Eh. For some, a TV is more than a picture -- bezels, design, OS...they're all part of the purchase decision for the vast majority of buyers. I'd suggest we don't assert that just because one element is not important to one person doesn't mean it's not important to someone else -- who may have just as much of a legitimate reason to like or dislike a given TV.

From my POV, I am a Sony TV fanboy and it's just a lucky coincidence that I'm also a (begrudgingly, because it's quirky) Android TV fanboy. So, it's a real win/win for me and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My issue: Deciding between the C and the D (75"). Best Buy will be running out of the Cs in about 2 weeks near me, which means I need to get some real, solid reviews of the D right quick so I can make the right move.

Reasons why I would consider spending $500 more for a D:
  • Hopefully better (and not worse) picture quality (D = edge-lit vs. C = backlit + frame-dimming?)
  • Better Android TV performance (this really matters if my TV will last me 5-7 years)
That's not a long list. But if I go with the C, there will only be so many units I could swap into if I get a dud or a series of duds.
I kind of hope that the D compels me to spend more because I would prefer to get the latest iteration and tech, but if it's really just a retread then I'm happy to save myself a lot of money.

I'm most curious about the backlighting vs. edge-lighting change-up. Better/worse light distribution? More/less blooming? More/less leakage?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Unless I missed something, the 850D units all have HDMI 2.0a inputs which from my understanding is mandatory for 4K Blu-Ray, so doesn't that right there give a big benefit over both the 850C and the JS8500?

I admit I have not followed 4K very well but was hoping to get one very soon, I want to be certain I can properly play these discs. The brick does not matter too much to me as long as the cord is detachable from the TV, which I assume it is.

I thought I had this smoking great deal finding a Sony 65" 810C for $1200 but it turns out it would not work with 4k Blu-Ray so I passed.

For me, in a prefect scenario I would be getting a 60" set because the cost to jump to 65" is steep and also that is a bit bigger than I would like for this room but I am okay doing a 55" to get the better tech.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Unless I missed something, the 850D units all have HDMI 2.0a inputs which from my understanding is mandatory for 4K Blu-Ray, so doesn't that right there give a big benefit over both the 850C and the JS8500?

I admit I have not followed 4K very well but was hoping to get one very soon, I want to be certain I can properly play these discs. The brick does not matter too much to me as long as the cord is detachable from the TV, which I assume it is.

I thought I had this smoking great deal finding a Sony 65" 810C for $1200 but it turns out it would not work with 4k Blu-Ray so I passed.

For me, in a prefect scenario I would be getting a 60" set because the cost to jump to 65" is steep and also that is a bit bigger than I would like for this room but I am okay doing a 55" to get the better tech.
The 850C also has four HDMI 2.0a inputs. As well as the JS8500.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The 850C also has four HDMI 2.0a inputs. As well as the JS8500.
Thanks I just saw that but could not find confirmation.

So in combing through reviews and forums I thought I saw that the 830c did some lesser HDR then the "native" some of these new sets coming out, is this true?

As an opinion which one of the following would give me the best picture/bang for the buck in a 55"?

850C for $1200

850D for $1600

JS8500 for $1450-----Actually just found this for $1250

I do have a slight preference to Android but picture quality is most important.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks I just saw that but could not find confirmation.

So in combing through reviews and forums I thought I saw that the 830c did some lesser HDR then the "native" some of these new sets coming out, is this true?

As an opinion which one of the following would give me the best picture/bang for the buck in a 55"?

850C for $1200

850D for $1600

JS8500 for $1450-----Actually just found this for $1250

I do have a slight preference to Android but picture quality is most important.
Non are FALD, HDR experience may be limited.

Get the Android, so you can install all kinds of app via es file explorer and side loader. Very important for watching international channels. Just wish there was root for the damn thing so I can change the DNS. I doubt you can do that with Tizen.

Android also gets frequent updates which I really like. You feel like your product won't be outdated. All 2015 2016 will get Android 6.0.

X850D seems to have better hardware, which means apps will play smoother and faster. PQ wise, probably the same between C and D, and you have to get the 65X850C to compete with JS8500 for PQ. I personally don't like how Samsung exaggerates their brightness and colors. In the show room they look great. By at the end of the day, you are watching this at home. Sony gives a more natural look, but that is just my perspective.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Unless I missed something, the 850D units all have HDMI 2.0a inputs which from my understanding is mandatory for 4K Blu-Ray
That is a complicated question to answer. The short answer is yes. If you want ALL HDR Blu rays to work 100% straight out of the box then you will need at least 1 HDMI 2.0a port. However, non HDR Tvs can look quite good with the HDR content if the player outputs the proper signal that they need. The issue is that right now the player is only outputting that signal for a few of the dozen or so discs that are currently available.

It took a firmware update for those discs to work and it will take another firmware update if you want the other discs to ever work.

Your best bet is to go with a good TV that has at least one HDMI 2.0a port and has some sort of local dimming along with wide color gamut. I believe the Samsung JS8500 is the only one in your price range that fits the bill. I watched several HDR Blu rays on a 65" JS8500 and I was quite pleased with it. It had some very minor light bleed but not anywhere near what these Sony TVs appear to have. Its HDR was outstanding though. The wide color gamut really makes a difference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is a complicated question to answer. The short answer is yes. If you want ALL HDR Blu rays to work 100% straight out of the box then you will need at least 1 HDMI 2.0a port. However, non HDR Tvs can look quite good with the HDR content if the player outputs the proper signal that they need. The issue is that right now the player is only outputting that signal for a few of the dozen or so discs that are currently available.

It took a firmware update for those discs to work and it will take another firmware update if you want the other discs to ever work.

Your best bet is to go with a good TV that has at least one HDMI 2.0a port and has some sort of local dimming along with wide color gamut. I believe the Samsung JS8500 is the only one in your price range that fits the bill. I watched several HDR Blu rays on a 65" JS8500 and I was quite pleased with it. It had some very minor light bleed but not anywhere near what these Sony TVs appear to have. Its HDR was outstanding though. The wide color gamut really makes a difference.
I have the Sony X850D and I have pretty much zero light bleed. He also stated he had a Android preference and mentioned nothing about local dimming. If local dimming is really important to him than he may want to consider the JS8500. Otherwise I am not seeing any reason to get the Samsung unless money is part of the equation.

Also, according to the specs I have read all 4 of the HDMI ports on the Sony X850D are HDMI 2.0a

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thank you very much for all the opinions and I apologize for somewhat hijacking the thread, although I do prefer Android and would also prefer a black bezel it seems like, just on picture quality and also on the (I think great deal of $1250.000 shipped) I should go with the Samsung UN55JS8500. I do like the idea of at least some local dimming and I thought they both had wide color gamut but I guess maybe the Sony does not.

On the plus side I do really like how thin the Samsung is which compliments the Kef T301s that I bought to match up with my two TVs ago super thin Samsung 8000 (I think it was .8"). Again not mandatory but pleasant addition. It is e-bay so wish me luck (very reputable but still risky with no real return policy).

Again thank you all! :cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thank you very much for all the opinions and I apologize for somewhat hijacking the thread, although I do prefer Android and would also prefer a black bezel it seems like, just on picture quality and also on the (I think great deal of $1250.000 shipped) I should go with the Samsung UN55JS8500. I do like the idea of at least some local dimming and I thought they both had wide color gamut but I guess maybe the Sony does not.

On the plus side I do really like how thin the Samsung is which compliments the Kef T301s that I bought to match up with my two TVs ago super thin Samsung 8000 (I think it was .8"). Again not mandatory but pleasant addition. It is e-bay so wish me luck (very reputable but still risky with no real return policy).

You are going to play panel lottery with a poor ebay return policy? Bail dude, not worth the discount.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
X850D seems to have better hardware, which means apps will play smoother and faster
I'm sorry, but I need clarification on this. What's your source that the D has any different processors or decoder chips than the C?
The C never skips or falters playing media on any content and Android operations are completely smooth.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts

Yes the Sony has WCG. The 850C covered over 89% of P3(compared to the Samsungs that cover around 91% of P3). No idea what the coverage of the 850D is though.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm sorry, but I need clarification on this. What's your source that the D has any different processors or decoder chips than the C?
The C never skips or falters playing media on any content and Android operations are completely smooth.
The 2015 models were MediaTek MT5595
CPU Address Space: 32 Bit
Cores: 4 (two Cortex-A17 and two Cortex-A7 cores)
GPU Model: ?

My 2016 55" X850D (I side loaded Antutu to get the info, so cant say if its entirely accurate or not)
MediaTek MT5890
CPU Address Space: 32 Bit
Cores: 2 (two Cortex-A17)
GPU Model: Mali-T624

Looks like the newest chip from MediaTek is a MT5596 but I dont have it and I wonder if its in other models or if it wont be in Sony TVs until 2017. Apparently its a huge GPU upgrade.
CPU Address Space: 64 Bit
Cores: 4 (quad Cortex A53)
GPU Model: Mali-T860

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39674-mediatek-showcases-world-s-first-android-tv-6-0

If Antutu is correct about the chip in my TV than it looks like MediaTek dropped the two little cores. That probably doesnt matter since small cores are better for battery efficient operations on phones and serve little purpose for Android TV. What we do know is the model number is different but the cores could be same. What we still dont know is there is other differences in the chips like speed differences etc. Does anyone know what Mali is in the 2015 Sonys?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe the D has an improved Mediatek Processor, but I we need someone to check on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 2015 models were MediaTek MT5595

My 2016 55" X850D is a MediaTek MT5890 (I used Antutu to get the info)

Looks like the newest chip from MediaTek is a MT5596 but I dont have it and I wonder if its in other models or if it wont be in Sony TVs until 2017. Apparently its a huge GPU upgrade.

They have some odd versioning...

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39674-mediatek-showcases-world-s-first-android-tv-6-0
If the part's not already being used in the 930/940D then it may have late availability; if that's the case there may be a changeover later in the year. Also looks like the MT5890 was used in at least one 2015 set (W805C)

·
Registered
340 Posts
If the part's not already being used in the 930/940D then it may have late availability; if that's the case there may be a changeover later in the year. Also looks like the MT5890 was used in at least one 2015 set (W805C)
I updated my post a bit but should probably add this as well. I would really like to know if the MT5596 is for the 930/940D or if my X850 should go back to the store and I should wait until later this year. I only have another week to decide...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Man you got the TV in front of you get off the forums and watch the thing to see if you like it. I would not left a possible smart TV part upgrade sent a TV back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I updated my post a bit but should probably add this as well. I would really like to know if the MT5596 is for the 930/940D or if my X850 should go back to the store and I should wait until later this year. I only have another week to decide...
It really shouldn't be an issue as long as your set gets upgraded to 6.0 and you can verify that it supports Youtube 4K HDR with VP9 profile-2.

"To deliver HDR through YouTube, Google has had to further develop its VP9 video codec. To date, VP9 has not supported HDR but with VP9-Profile 2 it will. It is unclear whether 2015 TVs with VP9 support can be updated to VP9 Profile 2. Google also has a VP9-Profile 3 in the works."

According to a poster on this page, Sony 2016 tv's will support it, but they don't say if it's limited to specific models or not.

221 - 240 of 398 Posts