AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1669 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Optical directly to my ps4. I don't have an hdmi arc capable tv and my tv only passes 2.1 anyhow.

Yes i can hear discrete separate audio channels for the sound bar as well as the rears when playing games.
Weird, someone else did the same thing and it didn't result in 5.1. My tv does pass 5.1 and I don't. Do you watch cable? If so are you getting 5.1?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't play video games, so I'm not sure how to benchmark the efficacy of distinguishing voices from the appropriate Left Surround or Right Surround channel on Deus Ex versus using a specific tool like the Netflix test pattern. Even if your allegation was true, that the Netflix test pattern is somehow related, I will state unequivocally that my prior 5.1 Sony setup, using exactly the same settings and cabling, produces distinct 5.1 sound on the Netflix test pattern while the Vizio does not. I literally left the prior system plugged in and powered on, and simply switched the cable, and had the aforementioned distinct experience. So it still begs the question, why is that happening?

I can try other tests if people have recommendations, I just know that Netflix has definitively worked on my prior 5.1 setup, and on my friends' 5.1 setups, hence it's an easy comparison tool. I tried using a YouTube "Dolby Digital 5.1 sound test" video via different means (ChromeCast from phone, Roku/AppleTV app, Vizio native app, Bluetooth from phone, etc.) with similar results, but various people have said YouTube only passes through 2.1, 3.1, or something else, so I'm not willing to trust that method. I did not try YouTube on my old system so can't compare.

Rob
I have also tried the sound test avilable on some BBC blu-rays using Xbox one as the player, both over HDMI ARC and Optical directly to the bar. The sound channel mixing is still there.

After I sent my troubleshooting letter to Vizio and they replied that it would be fixed, I got another response from their engineering team telling me that it's normal to have the audio coming in over the other speakers if the focus is on the correct channel. This is what they said:

"Third, we tested this speaker test from Netflix, and you can hear the audio from both L/R rears, but the focus is correct on the channels being announced."

So this is sorta troubling to me if true since it seems like playing a discreet sound channel over every other speaker was a design choice. Unless they reverse their design decision, we shouldn't expect true discrete sound from every channel as on pretty much every other surround sound system.

To the people that have reported hearing 5.1 in movies and games,
Well technically it's working and qualitatively it may not make a difference to you. However, decoding audio like this is deviating from a content creator's decisions. By mixing a channel into every speaker while only retaining the "focus" in the original channel, Vizio is taking away the choice that a sound designer made to have the waterfall sounds come only from the audience's back left for example. If the sound designer wanted every speaker to play waterfall noises at low volume and keep the focus on back left they would have done so. I will reply to Vizio again to clarify if this is true this weekend. I would return and buy another system if there was one that was physically designed as elegantly as this one. The software definitely needs work.

There are three other issues I've notice that I will make videos detailing before I send them to support. One others may have already noticed: every time the center channel is played in a speaker test, it is much louder than the rest. To me, this indicates that Vizio's vocal clarity boost is as crude as a bump in the volume of the center speaker since typically all dialogue is coded to be played from the center by convention. If this is the case, I think it should be a toggle option in the app. If by default all the speakers are set to "5" then the "5" for center is more like 7 or 8.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ah...It is as I thought. It is not true 5.1 but a pseudo 5.1 whereby the sound "emphasizes" at the appropriate time. My guess is their thinking was that the system is too small to have discrete channels. The rears are so small that "a waterfall from the left rear" would be barely audible if you were 10 feet away from it. In all honesty, I am ok with all of this. I still think it sounds pretty good. I rather have this than a 3.1 bar. But they have 5.1 right on the box and that is simply false advertising. Another reason why this system should have retailed around 350 and not 400-500.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it possible to add Vizio sound bar to an existing Chromecast audio group, so I can play audio through out my house?
Yes. It doesn't work quite as reliably as a CC audio hockey puck. But it still works. I have it as part of my "Downstairs" group. Hopefully it will get less buggy with future updates.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Based on what SnowBob says I wouldn't recommend the Vizio SB beyond 3.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
585 Posts
Guys I have the 45 inch soundcast and I can't figure out where the ir repeater is on this thing. Can anyone tell me. I have a harmony elite setup using the hub and the repeaters and no matter where I place it.. It won't control the sound. Really annoying.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Guys I have the 45 inch soundcast and I can't figure out where the ir repeater is on this thing. Can anyone tell me. I have a harmony elite setup using the hub and the repeaters and no matter where I place it.. It won't control the sound. Really annoying.

It is on the left side where the vertical row of lights are.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I have also tried the sound test avilable on some BBC blu-rays using Xbox one as the player, both over HDMI ARC and Optical directly to the bar. The sound channel mixing is still there.

After I sent my troubleshooting letter to Vizio and they replied that it would be fixed, I got another response from their engineering team telling me that it's normal to have the audio coming in over the other speakers if the focus is on the correct channel. This is what they said:

"Third, we tested this speaker test from Netflix, and you can hear the audio from both L/R rears, but the focus is correct on the channels being announced."

So this is sorta troubling to me if true since it seems like playing a discreet sound channel over every other speaker was a design choice. Unless they reverse their design decision, we shouldn't expect true discrete sound from every channel as on pretty much every other surround sound system.

To the people that have reported hearing 5.1 in movies and games,
Well technically it's working and qualitatively it may not make a difference to you. However, decoding audio like this is deviating from a content creator's decisions. By mixing a channel into every speaker while only retaining the "focus" in the original channel, Vizio is taking away the choice that a sound designer made to have the waterfall sounds come only from the audience's back left for example. If the sound designer wanted every speaker to play waterfall noises at low volume and keep the focus on back left they would have done so. I will reply to Vizio again to clarify if this is true this weekend. I would return and buy another system if there was one that was physically designed as elegantly as this one. The software definitely needs work.

There are three other issues I've notice that I will make videos detailing before I send them to support. One others may have already noticed: every time the center channel is played in a speaker test, it is much louder than the rest. To me, this indicates that Vizio's vocal clarity boost is as crude as a bump in the volume of the center speaker since typically all dialogue is coded to be played from the center by convention. If this is the case, I think it should be a toggle option in the app. If by default all the speakers are set to "5" then the "5" for center is more like 7 or 8.
Excellent research SnowBob. Now we know it is a design decision by Vizio.

It wasn't always that way, my 2014 54 incher does 5.1 discrete per the Disney WoW disc. There were complaints that the 2014 42 incher mixed the two surrounds, but I never owned that bar.

In a way, I can understand the Vizio sound engineers current thinking about 5.1 mixing since most people want to hear some sounds from all 5 speakers most of the time. Having had 5.1 AVRs for years, I know true rear surrounds rarely produce any sounds except maybe a door closing, a phone ringing, a bird chirping the occasional bomb exploding etc. Personally I prefer discrete 5.1 where the rears are rarely heard except for special audio effects.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Based on what SnowBob says I wouldn't recommend the Vizio SB beyond 3.1.

Are the 3.1 units discrete? If not I don't agree with this. The new 38 inch bar would be way too small for my living room. The rears do give a more enveloping sound and add to the loudness of the system. My 4551 d5 bar is not that loud when just the bar itself is activated.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Are the 3.1 units discrete? If not I don't agree with this. The new 38 inch bar would be way too small for my living room. The rears do give a more enveloping sound and add to the loudness of the system. My 4551 d5 bar is not that loud when just the bar itself is activated.
Discrete isn't everything. The top of the line $799 Sony HT-NT5, doesn't have a center channel. It gets great reviews over how it mixes the L & R to create a centered clear voice area. The best approach with any audio speaker system is to hear it yourself and return it ASAP if you aren't pleased. IMHO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discrete isn't everything. The top of the line $799 Sony HT-NT5, doesn't have a center channel. It gets great reviews over how it mixes the L & R to create a centered clear voice area. The best approach with any audio speaker system is to hear it yourself and return it ASAP if you aren't pleased. IMHO.
I agree. Would love the Sony but with the rears that system is a grand vs the 400 for the Vizio.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The L/R channels are blended with the center channel being louder. My goal was to improve on the TV speakers. The bass is a plus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those using the app to control the sound bar, are you experiencing super long delays to load each of the menus in the app?

I finally managed to pair the device with the app. I'm just using Bluetooth to do this for now. But it is hellishly slow. When u click the menus like audio or system there is a good 30-60 second delay before the menu loads.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Those using the app to control the sound bar, are you experiencing super long delays to load each of the menus in the app?

I finally managed to pair the device with the app. I'm just using Bluetooth to do this for now. But it is hellishly slow. When u click the menus like audio or system there is a good 30-60 second delay before the menu loads.
No I don't experience this with the app. Try and power cycle your phone and the SB and see what happens.

·
Banned
585 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on this forum and appreciate everyone who takes the time to give their expertise and frustrations with this set. So I've been having non stop issues with my p75 c1 and the 4t inch soundcast soundbar using arc HDMI.. Simply doesn't work for me. Called Vizio again on Friday and after doing some trouble shooting I was out on hold for about 25 min which was fine and the guy came back and said there is a known issue with the soundbar and the p75 c1 shaking hands. He said a firmware upgrade will fix it in the next week or 2. I'm hoping it's soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on this forum and appreciate everyone who takes the time to give their expertise and frustrations with this set. So I've been having non stop issues with my p75 c1 and the 4t inch soundcast soundbar using arc HDMI.. Simply doesn't work for me. Called Vizio again on Friday and after doing some trouble shooting I was out on hold for about 25 min which was fine and the guy came back and said there is a known issue with the soundbar and the p75 c1 shaking hands. He said a firmware upgrade will fix it in the next week or 2. I'm hoping it's soon.

Any reason your not using optical? Not much benefit to arc over optical.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We own the 2015 Vizio M65 and love it! However we disabled all phoning home it does as we use the Fire TV for all those functions.

Warning/Alert/Information
If you are an Android phone user, and use Google everything, disregard.

The Vizios are sending your watching habits and data about your other devices to Google. Go here as it can be disabled in settings. It is called their "Smart Interactivity." See details here:

OK PSA over.

I need the help of anyone who actually is using these Vizio soundbars and has used it for more then a couple of months. I want to eliminate the last wires that run along the floorboard to the Yamaha Sub. I do not need earth shattering thunder bass, nor volume beyond a bit loud for my hard of hearing.

I choose all Windows desktop all in one computers (Dell XPS One 2720 quad HD 27" loaded, and a Lenovo 21" touch loaded) computers, tablet computers (Surface Pro 3 and Venue 11 Pro tablets running Windows 10) ASUS T200 hybrid 11.6" Transformer in Windows 10 as well as one Voyo mini PC in the guest bedroom.

I don't need or want the Vizio Android Apps as I also use the Amazon ecosystem for my streaming with three full size Amazon Fire TVs, one jailbroken, the last two the new 4k capable with the hardware and software to handle 4k actual. We dropped out Kindle PaperWhites when we found a used 7" Fire HDX tablet for 50 bucks in new shape, and then found another for my wife that we use for reading and the unlimited cloud picture storage, as well as the ability to easily download Amazon Prime movies to them for use off line. We also found the 8.9" HDX for just a bit more used. It is my movie on trips machine when flying. I still bring my Surface Pro for work.

There is no Vizio App for Windows 10 phones, ours are Lumia 735s with the latest version of Windows 10 mobile on them. So I really do not care about the Smartcast functions.

I avoid all things Google. I trust Microsoft with my data as they are not sharing with third parties. NO matter how Google says it is not personally identifiable, then how do they tailor your experience? They also machine scan Google voice calls and Google mail, as well as computers using Earth or their other "free" products. Amazon does not want me buying from anyone but them. They are not sharing either. So all my streaming is via The Fire TV devices, and we also in addition to Amazon Prime, also subscribe to Netflix, and Sling TV Blue. I have a ChannelMaster OTA DVR and we have a large outdoor above the roof OTA TV antenna attached to a DROPAmp EDA 2400 Electroline Amplifier, that are being installed this next week or two and connected to the four built in coax wall plates in the house. OTA HD is surprisingly better than cable that has to compress and decompress the signals. So we have our media streaming, and local news and networks covered. We even have OTA little Hauppauge tuner DVRs and OTA little antennas that work great on our computers. Looks really impressive in Quad HD on mine.

Tech and age has overtaken me as my two Yamaha YSP 800 Sound projectors work perfectly and each has the Yamaha YST-FSW050BL2 SUBWOOFER for them. My wife has always been deaf in one ear as a result of a childhood infection so does not care about stereo, let alone surround. My hearing after 27 years in the military is missing the top end and I require volume and clear dialogue more than thunderous bass. Since my wife could not work the settings on the YSP 800s she was constantly causing me a 20 minute troubleshoot and reset, and since it was always for dialog I bought the two speaker Yamaha YAS 101 and have one of the Yamaha subs hooked up to it. I have a professionally installed hidden electric circuit and wires, and wall mounted with no exposed wires 2015 Black Friday purchased Vizio M65.

I have decided that the Yamahas will be sold or used wall mounted for the spare bedroom and my wife's computer. I have the Bose Companion 3 series II system on my 2720 desktop, so the Two YSP 800 systems and one sub will go and the YAS 101 with a sub will go in the bedroom.

My question is to anyone who had the old 2.1 or 5.1 systems and now has the new. Are they reliable? Good sound. Keep connected wirelessly without issues? And last can they boost voice well or better than most? I don't care 38" or 45". and Price is not a big deal as I buy refurbished most times for all but computers and TVs. I don't care about soundcast as we are already set with Bose Wave systems with Bluetooth. I can cast with the Fire tablets to the Fire TV systems if I wanted that or needed it at some time. But the media is already on it from Prime.

So which Vizio 5.1 system will give me a bit better surround? last year's or this year's models? I read of a lot of failures with the older models failing completely after the indicators started to fail.

I already disabled all the phone home features last year when we bought it with Vizio phone support. They also had to send a tech out with a new main board for the TV as the HDMI ports were not soldered or connected right at the factory and would provide intermittent connections. I thought it was my cables. I can say that getting a tech here and fixing the problem was painless and Vizio earned my respect. See, any company can seem great to customers when nothing goes wrong. It is when there are problems that the companies distinguish themselves. Remember that LG a top brand today stands for Lucky Goldstar. Yes a couple of decades ago they were just called Goldstar and considered junk for a bit. Vizio seems on the same path. I had a Samsung blow the capacitors about ten years back and they were a royal pain to deal with and their tech messed it up where the bad caps problem was gone, but the picture was never the same.

Any user of Vizio soundbar 5.1 systems recommended for one who does not need or want the Apps and Android anything on my network. I use Harmony top line programmed remotes to eliminate the multiple remote problem and my wife has not messed those up yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh!
I have a new house with "Open Architecture" that has no wall between the LR and kitchen. MY YSP 800 Yamaha sound projectors require both sidewalls on the left and right to work with amazing surround, not perfect, but way above many real surround cheaper systems. I would be using them but I want Bluetooth built in not using the Adapter that uses a 3.5 input on the Yamahas. And the surround is terrible with only three walls. one of the sidewalls is the one with our view windows so it cannot go there to work. Otherwise I would use one of the YSP 800s.

So before someone says that we will be disappointed bear in mind we are using the YAS 101 cheap 2 speaker Yamaha $199 system with the separately purchased Yamaha sub.

881 - 900 of 1669 Posts