AVS Forum banner

19981 - 20000 of 37545 Posts

·
Vendor
26,645 Posts
Can someone measure the distance ( in inches ) from the BOTTOM of the TV to the first ( lower) set of holes for the VESA 300X200 connections?
I have the pdf of the manual for the TV from LG but it doesn't show those dimensions...
If you are hanging your mount without the TV their, be patient and wait for all good's to be there. Makes things much easier......

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
At the end of the day, THIS is the most likely explanation for the disparity here in our home. I do believe certain individuals are just more sensitive to SOE.

We have finally found a good middle-of-the-road solution that works for the both of us: De-Judder = 4, De-Blur = 5. We are really enjoying this new technology, and I am very pleased to have AVS Forum here to help us along in these early days.

Thanks everyone!
That makes zero sense to me. Those 4/5 settings absolutely show SOE, AND artifacts on fast pans. Either way, glad you both are happy.

It is talked about extensively in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2711233-2016-lg-model-oled-motion-settings-72.html#post55411022

and this thread:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-trumotion-thread.2103347/page-45

@3DVideoBuff did some major studying on the LG motion. User 0/0 brings in 3:2 pulldown. Most of this pertains to 2016 models, but I think it still stands for 2017.
I would not assume that at all. Rtings.com extensively tested this on the C7 and found User 0/0 is the way to go.

To be able to display 24p content without judder, the 'TruMotion' option must be set to 'User' and both the 'De-Judder' and 'De-Blur' sliders set to zero (when set to 0, no soap opera effect will be added).

When it come to movies playing via a 60p/60i source like cable boxes, the C7 was able to remove judder completely just by turning on the 'Real cinema' option.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

Also, the B6 has a different processing chip to the rest of the 2016 line, and there were funky issues with motion for the 2016 range in general. That’s one of the main reasons I didn’t get one.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
So it doesn't look too dim to you compared to hdr 10? I've yet to try a Dolby vision uhd disk but Netflix and vudu seem too dark
Try Godzilla and Bright on Netflix with these brightness settings using the latest LG 7 4.xxxx firmware to test this out. This is my preferred DV top setting for streaming and discs.

In my opinion, this performance provides full visual details of black level performance while black bars (in Bright for instance) are separated in black level from the in-picture black levels. The movie Bright in the scene where they discover the Elf with the magic Wand, is a fantastic demonstration of how dynamic Dolby Vision performance from black to bright objects (on OLED) in the same frame.

For VUDU, give Spiderman Homecoming a spin with this settings also :)

See how you like it.
LG's implementation of DV is kind of a mess. From a calibration standpoint, the specific 2017 LG OLED Calman workflow limits you to white balance adjustments only. That will reduce the luminance errors, but it still won't look as good ( general PQ ) as HDR-10. The DV "Cinema (Home)" picture mode is just plain old awful - plenty bright, but everything is blown out like some kind of Vivid picture mode on steroids. It looks gimmicky. "Cinema (User)" - the TV will add the "(User)" part after you make a settings change - without adjusting does look rather dim.

I would use @Al Leong's suggested settings as a starting point and then try adjusting the OLED LIGHT upwards from the 50 default. For my C7, is use the same "Cinema (User)" picture mode, but then I up the OLED LIGHT to 70, and keep Contrast where it is @ 100. Also, lower the basic Color setting to 48, as this will reduce saturation issues where everyone looks like they have a sunburn.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would not assume that at all. Rtings.com extensively tested this on the C7 and found User 0/0 is the way to go.

To be able to display 24p content without judder, the 'TruMotion' option must be set to 'User' and both the 'De-Judder' and 'De-Blur' sliders set to zero (when set to 0, no soap opera effect will be added).

When it come to movies playing via a 60p/60i source like cable boxes, the C7 was able to remove judder completely just by turning on the 'Real cinema' option.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

Also, the B6 has a different processing chip to the rest of the 2016 line, and there were funky issues with motion for the 2016 range in general. That’s one of the main reasons I didn’t get one.
Turning on Trumotion shuts off Real Cinema.

So that begs the question what does Real Cinema do when it is on with a 24p source?

ps 24p has natural judder, so maybe User 0/0 is just introducing 3:2 pulldown just like the 2016 models.

Who knows? I wish it just says exactly what each option does

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you are hanging your mount without the TV their, be patient and wait for all good's to be there. Makes things much easier......
Thx,

No actually i have an existing setup using a really nice Echogear EGLF1 full motion mount. The problem is is that the mount location can't really be changed. The mount location is basically centered in the area where the 65" TV is. Before drywalling in this area i filled that spot with backing 2X4 studs for support.

In my current set up ( VIZIO 65") the VESA holes are like 8.5" from the bottom of the TV. If those holes were any lower down towards the bottom of the TV my mount would not work because the TV brackets that come with the mount are not long enough for more adjustment downwards!

thx,

Bernie

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
New 55" C7 buyer here, replacing a Samsung JS8500. I did some searches on this thread but found surprisingly few "recommended settings" posts. Can anyone direct me to a settings list or otherwise recommend settings? The TV will be used solely for cable TV (FiOS), Apple TV streaming (newest model), and BluRay movies - no gaming. The room the TV will be in is quite bright during the day but dark in the evening. Are the Rtngs settings suggestions a good starting point?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
The definitive starting point, it should be a sticky, is this link below. Use it as a base and apply personal preferences or changes that may be relevant to subsequent firmware releases.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2853954-lg-2017-oled-calibration-thread-settings-10.html#post54697728

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Turning on Trumotion shuts off Real Cinema.

So that begs the question what does Real Cinema do when it is on with a 24p source?

ps 24p has natural judder, so maybe User 0/0 is just introducing 3:2 pulldown just like the 2016 models.

Who knows? I wish it just says exactly what each option does
Real Cinema is just for 60p/i devices where it can pull the 24p original frame rate if it’s being played at 60hz. You can test that really easily by setting your Apple TV or Xbox One etc to 60hz ONLY, and playing back 24p material. It looks perfect without judder with Real Cinema on. Real Cinema does nothing with a 24p source when the display is already AT 24hz.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
New 55" C7 buyer here, replacing a Samsung JS8500. I did some searches on this thread but found surprisingly few "recommended settings" posts. Can anyone direct me to a settings list or otherwise recommend settings? The TV will be used solely for cable TV (FiOS), Apple TV streaming (newest model), and BluRay movies - no gaming. The room the TV will be in is quite bright during the day but dark in the evening. Are the Rtngs settings suggestions a good starting point?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Stay away from the Rtings settings - they were done almost a year ago and there have been several firmware updates released since then. IMO the dedicated calibration thread is a waste of time. Lots of gaming settings, but very little in terms of the type of watching/viewing you want to do.

Try the below settings. I have also posted more extensive meter based settings in my signature below, but the technicolor Expert picture mode for both SDR and HDR content is the best and most accurate out there.

NOTE: For HDR settings, use the same "technicolor Expert" picture mode and adjust the basic Color setting to 48 to reduce some over-saturation issues. Leave the rest of the settings at default.

Also, on your AppleTV 4K, turn of dynamic range matching, turn on frame rate matching, and leave the home screen video set to 4K HDR. Basically what I'm getting at is to stay away from Dolby Vision if you like watching movies. It's just not implemented very well on the LG - unfortunately. . . . .

Enjoy! :D

SDR Settings
Energy Saving: Off

SDR Picture Mode: "technicolor Expert"

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 60
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
LG's implementation of DV is kind of a mess. From a calibration standpoint, the specific 2017 LG OLED Calman workflow limits you to white balance adjustments only. That will reduce the luminance errors, but it still won't look as good ( general PQ ) as HDR-10. The DV "Cinema (Home)" picture mode is just plain old awful - plenty bright, but everything is blown out like some kind of Vivid picture mode on steroids. It looks gimmicky. "Cinema (User)" - the TV will add the "(User)" part after you make a settings change - without adjusting does look rather dim.

I would use @Al Leong's suggested settings as a starting point and then try adjusting the OLED LIGHT upwards from the 50 default. For my C7, is use the same "Cinema (User)" picture mode, but then I up the OLED LIGHT to 70, and keep Contrast where it is @ 100. Also, lower the basic Color setting to 48, as this will reduce saturation issues where everyone looks like they have a sunburn.
Is this LG or just the mysteries of DV since every vendor seems to be having DV issues?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also, on your AppleTV 4K, turn of dynamic range matching, turn on frame rate matching, and leave the home screen video set to 4K HDR. Basically what I'm getting at is to stay away from Dolby Vision if you like watching movies. It's just not implemented very well on the LG - unfortunately. . . . .

Really, you turn off DV? That’s a bold play, and the first I’ve heard of it. Do you think you lose much using HDR vs DV on the Apple TV?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Is this LG or just the mysteries of DV since every vendor seems to be having DV issues?
It's more DV than LG, but with an asterisk *. When I talk about implementation, my comparison would be with my Vizio where they provide access to the DVGR file which can then be loaded into the Calman DV workflow and fully calibrated using the file as a reference. Basically, I'm amending and correcting any mismatches between the panel's performance and the DVGR file. The resulting PQ is on par with the SDR calibration - which means it looks fabulous. With LG's implementation, there are adjustment restrictions imposed by either Dolby or LG or both - so doing a full fledged calibration like on the Vizio is out of the question.

Then we have the most recent bugs that have been identified, but we're in a holding pattern waiting for the various vendors to push out firmware updates to correct it.

It's interesting to note that Sony's DV implementation will only be using the min-max tone mapping metadata and ignoring all the rest. They will use their own processing to finish the frame. They are basically not handing over full control of their TV's to DV as everyone else has done in one form or another - including LG and Vizio, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Return the B7 for the Sony X930?

I've had the B7 now for 3 weeks and am coming from a 2 year old 1080 LG OLED, the 9300. Though I'm overall pleased with the display of 4K content, I'm kind of disappointed in the display of non-4k material, which is what I mostly watch.

I thought that I had read that the Sony X930 has a better upscaler, so I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pros and cons of exchanging for the Sony X930.

I realize that the black levels will be better on the OLED, but I would be glad to lose the banding and worrying about image retention.

I watch a lot of 1080P streaming content of tv shows from Amazon Video and Vudu, and I just want the best overall performance for watching non-4K content.

I'm currently using the RTings settings with some personal adjustments, though I may try the settings that I just read posted above.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
The last DV 4K UHD disc I purchased was "It" and currently own all of the 4K UHD Dolby Vision enabled discs, I think any DV issues should be pointed to Apple TV.

The discs from a OPPO 203 are possibly the best display of PQ possible on OLED.

Reactions: sonoftumble

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Really, you turn off DV? That’s a bold play, and the first I’ve heard of it. Do you think you lose much using HDR vs DV on the Apple TV?
You won't lose much of anything, and you gain a MUCH NICER LOOKING PICTURE. The beauty of our LG's is that we have the Dynamic Contrast setting that when set to "Low" while receiving an HDR signal provides dynamic metadata tone mapping similar to DV. Now, I'm sure I'll get flamed by those that have looked at Vincent's videos, and when you freeze a frame and do a side-by-side comparison, you might see more detail in the DV image. But you have to freeze the frame to see it. That the crucial point. I don't know about you, but I don't watch a movie by looking at a single frame at a time.

Right now, the way DV is performing, you will enjoy HDR much more and it's so much easier on the eyes with reduced fatigue. It's hard to explain but it looks smoother and less harsh.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The last DV 4K UHD disc I purchased was "It" and currently own all of the 4K UHD Dolby Vision enabled discs, I think any DV issues should be pointed to Apple TV.

IMO, DV looks gimmicky when streamed. I mean it looks OK, but not as natural as HDR, not as smooth. Watching the content from a disc ( Oppo ) is bound to be better. Certainly not nearly as compressed as streaming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all I recently picked up a Denon x2400h and hooked them up to my Kef Q300’s. At the moment I’m only running a 2.0 setup. I have an LG C7, Xbox One X and Apple TV 4K. What is the best way to hook up the inputs for best sound and visual. I greatly appreciate any tips anyone can give me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've had the B7 now for 3 weeks and am coming from a 2 year old 1080 LG OLED, the 9300. Though I'm overall pleased with the display of 4K content, I'm kind of disappointed in the display of non-4k material, which is what I mostly watch.

I thought that I had read that the Sony X930 has a better upscaler, so I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pros and cons of exchanging for the Sony X930...
Why don't you just keep your 9300 LG and hold off on a 4K TV until you'd watch primarily 4K content? That 9300 LG will provide better quality of native non-HDR 1080 content than any 4K TV. Don't make the mistake of assuming that 4K TVs will improve non-4K content.

·
Banned
2,491 Posts

IMO, DV looks gimmicky when streamed. I mean it looks OK, but not as natural as HDR, not as smooth. Watching the content from a disc ( Oppo ) is bound to be better. Certainly not nearly as compressed as streaming.
Ok, yes I agree, I wasnt sure what context the statement was made. Ive gone on record in these forums in the past to say DV streaming looked gimmicky also. That was based on watching the early VUDU DV encodes which to me were horrific compared to just regular HDR10.

Im going to go on a limb and say VUDU may have re-encoded their DV titles to match the reviewers acclaim for ATV DV content. Looking at the DV stuff on VUDU today and it looks as if the quality improved.

Netflix DV in my opinion is done well, but it is contingent of needing to find a black level setting that allows you to see reasonable low black level details. I really think the default Brightness 50 is too low (even 53 would be better) because DV black levels are deeper than HDR10.

For instance, the black level settings I posted earlier, when I try that on the HDR10 picture mode (I use Technicolor Expert) one I hit Brightness 55, the grey/blacks show.

I think the LG 7 (4.xxx FW) picture quality with Dynamic Contrast LOW (for Active HDR) display a dynamic performance that rivals DV for the most part, but.. most DV content goes a bit beyond HDR10 in low black objects to high bright objects in dynamic range..

So due to this, youll look at a scene in DV and it looks dim because the scene is in a room or area that want to translate low light, but if you notice a lamp post or a bright object popping out in the background, its what I had to learn to notice to know DV was working properly (and not just looking at a dim image). Once I was able to find low black level settings for DV that worked for my attention to low black detail (without loosing my OLED uniform black performance) I found a new love for DV.

I like the LG internal apps for DV viewing more so than ATV.

Reactions: sonoftumble
19981 - 20000 of 37545 Posts