AVS Forum banner

24941 - 24960 of 37551 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have found the UHD quality of VUDU rentals to be quite good. The app is on the TV. So, if your girlfriend is concerned about the expense, opt to rent, not buy. Then just wait for good sales. That's what I am doing. Well, mostly. Sometimes you gotta splurge. :D
Heheh... yeah. I've watched a couple rentals on Vudu and agree, the UHD quality is pretty good.

As for the girlfriend... it's kinda funny. We saw the 55" and 65" side by side and she said "get the 65" and didn't question the price. But now she wants to question movie purchases. LOL

I do pretty good though... generally I pay in the $15-$20 range per movie... some I've gotten for a few dollars less, but I do my best to not go over $20. The exceptions being Coco ($27) and the Planet Earth 2/ Blue Planet 2 sets.

Either way... it's worth it to me for such stunning PQ. I had a friend come over last night and I showed off the TV with some of those LG 4K videos... he was like "Whoa."

:D

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
^^^I have yet to see Blue Planet 2...on my to due list...I can imagine its stunning on these.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
^^^I have yet to see Blue Planet 2...on my to due list...I can imagine its stunning on these.
Yeah it's right up there with PE2 which is IMHO the best UHD footage available on disc. I like to check realorfake4k.com prior to purchase just to get an idea of what I can expect... not that upscaled footage is bad or anything.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

Some of it is and some is so so. The episode where they are in the pitch black deep ocean is very tough to watch because it’s nearly impossible to film it the way it actually looks. The coral reef episode and open ocean episode are incredible though.

If you guys really want to show off what OLED tech can do go on the YouTube app on your tv and search for “Real 5K HDR: Space Walk in HDR”. It’s an astronaut doing maintenance on a satellite or on the ISS and the clarity is just incredible. Also the blackness of space in the background is 100% completely black while the space suit is completely white and you can even see the reflection off the helmet visor. I guess it was filmed in 5K and HDR graded. It’s so clear and the contrast so shocking between the astronaut and space that I was literally shocked.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
@Kenbar I hope their is improvement as well, but right now this is a 2017 thread, as far as running with the pack...i think you've always known my position on this topic...ite beating a dead horse, and yes it does get old my friend.
Sorry I snapped. Typically I am responding to others questions or comments...who seem to think I wrote the warnings in 2018 owners manuals...and don't want to hear about them. Makes me a bit wary and overly defensive perhaps, please accept my apology.

Reactions: Datagg and Cam1977

·
Registered
789 Posts
Blue Planet 2 is definitely worth it, absolutely beautiful. Hard to believe they can get that level of detail and clarity under water. "The deep" episode is especially good on the OLED with all the dark backgrounds.

Reactions: dwaleke and Cam1977

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Sorry I snapped. Typically I am responding to others questions or comments...who seem to think I wrote the warnings in 2018 owners manuals...and don't want to hear about them. Makes me a bit wary and overly defensive perhaps, please accept my apology.
Oh man, no reason to apologize at all, my post was not at all meant as a dig to you. Were all a little defensive when it comes to that topic. It's all good.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Some of it is and some is so so. The episode where they are in the pitch black deep ocean is very tough to watch because it’s nearly impossible to film it the way it actually looks. The coral reef episode and open ocean episode are incredible though.

If you guys really want to show off what OLED tech can do go on the YouTube app on your tv and search for “Real 5K HDR: Space Walk in HDR”. It’s an astronaut doing maintenance on a satellite or on the ISS and the clarity is just incredible. Also the blackness of space in the background is 100% completely black while the space suit is completely white and you can even see the reflection off the helmet visor. I guess it was filmed in 5K and HDR graded. It’s so clear and the contrast so shocking between the astronaut and space that I was literally shocked.
Ill definitely have to check out that video for sure!

Blue Planet 2 is definitely worth it, absolutely beautiful. Hard to believe they can get that level of detail and clarity under water. "The deep" episode is especially good on the OLED with all the dark backgrounds.
I should be able to get it this week!

·
Registered
15 Posts
65" c7

I was debating between this and SUHD Nano Cell, I'm glad thanks to all your recommendations I got the OLED. Hung it on the wall yesterday and I am blown away. This thing is unreal. I am so happy with this purchase.

Any recommendations on certain setting or adjustments?

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Heheh... yeah. I've watched a couple rentals on Vudu and agree, the UHD quality is pretty good.

As for the girlfriend... it's kinda funny. We saw the 55" and 65" side by side and she said "get the 65" and didn't question the price. But now she wants to question movie purchases. LOL

I do pretty good though... generally I pay in the $15-$20 range per movie... some I've gotten for a few dollars less, but I do my best to not go over $20. The exceptions being Coco ($27) and the Planet Earth 2/ Blue Planet 2 sets.

Either way... it's worth it to me for such stunning PQ. I had a friend come over last night and I showed off the TV with some of those LG 4K videos... he was like "Whoa."

:D
Vudu works well on lg app and will output dv and lossy atmos. Will be nice when appletv has 4k vudu app but it's fine for hdx. I bought last jedi and new thor for full price, usually $25 but i wait for rest to go on sale for $10 usually...which is a great deal...easiest thing to do is reference this site daily for deals. Uhd and hdx prices are usually the same but not always.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/collection/content/featured/12434

Lots of disney movies on sale in hdx for 10 each....got moana and coco for my kid.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

Yep, that one’s quite impressive. Don’t see any stars, that must be from all the local light used for him to work I’m guessing.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was debating between this and SUHD Nano Cell, I'm glad thanks to all your recommendations I got the OLED. Hung it on the wall yesterday and I am blown away. This thing is unreal. I am so happy with this purchase.

Mine will be delivered on Friday. I have compiled a big file with tips, tricks, settings, etc from various forum posts. Link to settings posted here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk-712.html#post55658746 First post by sonoftumble on that page. Also as he pointed out, make sure you have the latest firmware.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Anyone know where it says the 2017 and 2016 models already have the static logo dimming feature enabled? If that's true, wouldn't the rtings' OLED BI test page likely have some mention of it - and include an on/off comparison of that feature in its testing. I thought the feature was just announced as a new feature on the C and higher 2018 models. (BTW, I don't notice any difference with respect to the brightness of static logos with either the "Quick Start+" setting on or off, though I do keep it on by default.)
It got talked about here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2426314-2016-lg-c6-b6-owners-thread-839.html

And I saw it mentioned other places. Maybe the 2018 thread.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

I think Rob was trying to link to my settings. Click on the link below - the top one in my signature is for my C7. Standard panel variance disclaimer applies! :D

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
everyone kept saying how ISF Expert Dark was the most accurate in SDR but it looked too dark for my tastes which was cutting out details in dark scenes (I also had OLED Light at 30 along with other tweaks)...I put in the beginning of The Revenant (Blu-ray) to test and dark scenes lacked fine detail...I think I'm going to keep Cinema (User) with OLED Light 37 as dark scenes keep their inky blacks while bright scenes pop as well

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
^^^what do you have your brightness set to?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
So how come tv manufacturers still use 10/100 Ethernet ports? Do they think everyone uses wireless only these days? I mean 802.11ac is good but I have gigabit Ethernet throughout the house.

Reactions: Datagg and rdgcss

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
^^^what do you have your brightness set to?
when I was using ISF Dark I had it set to 50 along with Contrast at 80...with Cinema (User) I'm using Brightness 51, Contrast 85...without a professional calibration I'm sure ISF Dark is the most accurate mode but it requires a ton of other tweaks and trial and error to get the ideal image...the default OLED Light setting for ISF (Dark Room) is 60 which shocked me...that seems a bit high

24941 - 24960 of 37551 Posts