AVS Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 37534 Posts

·
Registered
17,805 Posts
I am taking delivery of a 65C7P in a couple of hours replacing my 9 year old beloved Kuro 151fd. I run a Roku 4 box presently because of the Kuro limitations. Knowing the LG comes preloaded with the apps is there any advantage or disadvantage to continuing with the separate Roku box?
I'm sure I'll have more questions but was curious as to anyone's thoughts on this.
Jtmav
Keep the Roku. Faster and longer (product lifespan) app updates.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I am taking delivery of a 65C7P in a couple of hours replacing my 9 year old beloved Kuro 151fd. I run a Roku 4 box presently because of the Kuro limitations. Knowing the LG comes preloaded with the apps is there any advantage or disadvantage to continuing with the separate Roku box?
I'm sure I'll have more questions but was curious as to anyone's thoughts on this.
Jtmav
You'll probably use the native LG apps for the inherent HDR capabilities (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube) and keep the Roku for the lesser known channels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
after some panel cleans the situation appeared fine for vertical banding. But now i see some bands even at 20% grey. Then i have a yellow tint in the upper side of the tv. In 48 hours i will have a techinician at my home to test my tv. Anyway it's incredible how the c7 is better of my old b6 in everything. Have you noticed that the netflix app on the 2017 oleds is a lot crisp on the menus?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jtmav

Similar boat, I have Nvidia Shield and I keep both, I use the native Netflix and Amazon Apps on the LG (mainly due the magic remote cursor growing on me very quickly) and Nvidia for other lesser known Apps and Plex. I prefer the Youtube app on the Shield too.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
after some panel cleans the situation appeared fine for vertical banding. But now i see some bands even at 20% grey. Then i have a yellow tint in the upper side of the tv. In 48 hours i will have a techinician at my home to test my tv. Anyway it's incredible how the c7 is better of my old b6 in everything. Have you noticed that the netflix app on the 2017 oleds is a lot crisp on the menus?
That's because the processor on the 2017s are way faster than the 2016's especially the B6 which had that slow 3rd party processor.

Reactions: Matteox

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can't understand why is so difficult for Lg to enable auto gamut for games.... Now with the latest firmware you can't anymore have hdr game auto gamut if you enable pc mode.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Similar boat, I have Nvidia Shield and I keep both, I use the native Netflix and Amazon Apps on the LG (mainly due the magic remote cursor growing on me very quickly) and Nvidia for other lesser known Apps and Plex. I prefer the Youtube app on the Shield too.
Thanks, I'll play with it a bit. I have a URC mx890 universal remote that I will update to work with all of the apps.
Jtmav

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've thought about the drop in size to hopefully get something better, but I just can't pull the trigger. My first 65" TV and it's great, but it already feels smaller than the first day I put it on the wall. I can only imagine if I replace it with a 55".

Oh I told my wife last night that if after Monday I'm unhappy with the replacement panel, I'm selling the damn thing. I got a shrug. :)
:)

True about the size, but a near perfect uniformity would probably make you forget the 65" after some time since you could enjoy the OLED PQ anyway. I'm still thinking about it as a possible plan myself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Makes sense, I really like the Roku.
Thanks, D-Nice hope you've been well. I got the LG from Robert.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Jtmav
I cant recommend the Nvidia Shield TV enough, its an amazing box with tons of apps, can run Kodi, is extremely powerful and fast, does variable framerate , handles HDR and atmos, etc.

I would recommend an Nvidia Shield TV to everyone basically. I rarely use the in tv apps due to it being superior. the only time i use the tv apps is to do dolby vision in netflix as that is not yet supported via the shield's netflix app.

·
Vendor
26,606 Posts
I will be interested in 5% grey slides from both if you are ok with that. Trying to see if the 55" really has a better uniformity than the 65" in general.
Thank you.
I would never down size for a reason like that. The #1 reason for buyer remorse is screen size, it is NOT because you may get a better panel. You would need to test 10-20 units of the 55" and 65" of the same model to come up with odds, but there are always exceptions to rules so the text would be irrelevant.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would never down size for a reason like that. The [URL=http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] reason for buyer remorse is screen size, it is NOT because you may get a better panel. You would need to test 10-20 units of the 55" and 65" of the same model to come up with odds, but there are always exceptions to rules so the text would be irrelevant.
True for the #1 remorse, but I'm at 4 tries at 65" with bad luck. I doubt BB will let me continue for 10-20.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jtmav
Agree with all the other responses on this. An additional consideration is with the native apps, you lose the ability to get OSD from your AVR because now the display is "sole-sourcing" the video and taking no input. The other limitation is that you're on ARC for audio out, which allows only lossy DD+ audio (not that you'll get much better than that from the native apps at this time). It also forces you to use CEC, which is often cumbersome and can cause glitchy behaviour in a well-tuned setup.

So I think that I'll continue using the native apps for Netflix for the 4k HDR/DV ability (and yes the remote's point and click does grow on you, but I'm usually on teh harmony anyway), until a streamer box offers all that stuff (Apple TV 5th gen anybody?). Then I will happily shut off ARC and CEC and feed everything to my AVR like I did before I went on this 4k joyride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do you mean by this? I noticed Football (NFL) looks terrible on my OLED C6 for some reason. I get like fuzzy pixels around the players when they are moving. I thought this was more of a broadcast artifact issue more than the tv but now i am wondering if this is a processing thing? Was this some how improved in the 2017 models?
24p motion handling is improved on the 2017 models. See my prior posts in this thread regarding my experience coming from plasma.

·
Registered
33,375 Posts
Somehow it seems that although the 2017s are better in many ways to the 2016s, the banding may be worse. I'm hoping that's not the case, as I have no visible banding with content on my B6.

·
Registered
522 Posts
On the C7, what's the height from the base to the bottom of the screen? I'm wondering the max height of a soundbar would need to be in order to not block the screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do you perform a manual compensation on a B7? Ive had mine running for over a 100 hours and im still noticing some banding. Hoping this compensation idea everyone talks about will improve it. I just cant figure out to do it or what its called in the menus.

thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
On the C7, what's the height from the base to the bottom of the screen? I'm wondering the max height of a soundbar would need to be in order to not block the screen.
On the 65" set the height is just slightly under 2 inches, probably not enough for a sound bar to fit into.

3341 - 3360 of 37534 Posts