AVS Forum banner

35441 - 35460 of 37533 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi John

Thanks for your updated settings which I have entered for SDR and HDR so far - I will tackle DV later.

However, I have recently taken to watching SDR on "HDR Effect" with the 'medium' strong effect. Switching between this and "Cinema" I must say I prefer the "HDR Effect" now (much more vibrant colour and wider black/white contrast). Maybe I'm just a Philistine! After watching in 'HDR Effect' for a while 'Cinema' now looks dull and lifeless. Note: I wouldn't watch UHD Blu-rays in anything but the most faithful reproduction of the Director's intentions but as most of my SDR viewing is 'casual' free to air TV I don't think that faithfullness here is necessarily paramount.
I think you should be cautious using that setting on SDR because of potential Burn In. There have been reports of this depending on how much you are using the tv with that setting. Definitely be careful with that. Especially true with the first couple of iterations of the line.
JTMav

·
Registered
94 Posts
Any reason for the update?
Due to my desire for 4k @ 120Hz, faster menu navigation, better all-around image processing, further improvements to near black, brighter game mode HDR tone mapping (even if a little less objectively faithful/accurate to EOTF), BFI, no Wide gamut lock in SDR game mode, and the alleged 13ms input latency in certain modes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are subtitles from MKV's broken for anyone else on the LG internal player as-of the latest (and last apparently) Firmware?

I have an MKV, on my PC using VLC it clearly has subtitles. When I play it form USB on my LG, the subtitle option is greyed out. Can someone else confirm this?

I have the same issue as Bob Ross. Made an MKV from my BD of Winter Soldier using MakeMKV. Using VLC I see all the subtitle options but no options appear on the LG internal app.

·
Registered
73 Posts
would any of the members in this community help me out via phone if I made you a very very nice donation via paypal or venmo or cash app or whatever Im trying to apply sonoftumble calibration to my E7 ive reset it to factory fresh settings but im very confused on the 20 point inner outer settings. please private message me if you can help thank you......

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is there a reason or is it a mistake that Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction are set to Low in Dolby Vision?
Those are default settings. The purists will not be pleased, but my philosophy is there must be a reason why Dolby wanted them that way. I treat Dolby Vision a little differently than I do any other dynamic range format. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Would the purest set this to "high" or "auto"?? And would it help with the marvel shows? Those are TERRIBLE with noise!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Would the purest set this to "high" or "auto"?? And would it help with the marvel shows? Those are TERRIBLE with noise!
The Purist would set it to OFF, if that was an option. Otherwise it's best to stay with the defaults.

The Marvel shows have artificial "grain" added in an effort to re-create the comic book look/style - at least with Netflix productions.
There's no way to avoid it with any setting at our disposal.

Yes, it's annoying!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I understand the difference, it would make probably more sense if the speed was checked with a third party app, here both measurements are done within the Netflix app "check your network" so I would assume they work in the same way, even if in different platforms.
The other consideration is the native LG app supports the latest DV and Atmos, FireTV does not (I know it's not necessarily an issue for PQ), yet the Netflix PQ is better with FireTV than the Netflix LG app. Do you think it may have something to do with the speed?
An easy answer is the TV's bandwidth is of 100Mbs maximum, and nothing on Netflix is even close to 220Mbs. Everything on Netflix is 8 to 22Mbps (Netflix asks that you have at least 25Mbps). But, the internal app and the Fire are measuring from 2 different places and the TV result looks correct.

·
Registered
212 Posts
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 05.80.15 - ( CALIBRATION REV. Easter 2019 )

HAPPY EASTER!

The settings below are ALL NEW and vary from slight updates to more than slight.
Thank you again for your hard work. The SDR settings are phenomenal. Best the TV has ever looked.

I continue to fight DV. The cinema setting is simply too dark and crushes details. I've used the default settings, the DV files and your settings but I keep defaulting back to Cinema home. The difference is stark between both settings. Using internal Netflix and Vudu app for DV content.

·
Registered
20,220 Posts
The real enemy last night on GOT was digital video compression. Wow it was horrible. Certainly solidifies, garbage in garbage out. Shame on HBO/ cable networks for such compression. i wonder if the newer OLED can handle compression better over my C7.

Anyways I digress.

Low bitrate/compression is bad either way. Last nights episode would have been a true torture test. I don’t have major issues, personally via my ATV4K and HBOGO, I know what to expect when watching. The discs are what I’m really waiting for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The real enemy last night on GOT was digital video compression. Wow it was horrible. Certainly solidifies, garbage in garbage out. Shame on HBO/ cable networks for such compression. i wonder if the newer OLED can handle compression better over my C7.

Anyways I digress.
It's interesting that Popular Mechanics seems to think that having an OLED panel could have helped alleviate the darkness problems with that episode.
Do you think it did?
https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a27305528/game-of-thrones-oled-tv/

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's interesting that Popular Mechanics seems to think that having an OLED panel could have helped alleviate the darkness problems with that episode.
Do you think it did?
https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a27305528/game-of-thrones-oled-tv/

My second time watching when I found a good source it was incredible. From reading around no one else minus OLED owners no matter what seemed like they were happy. So IMO and perspective they were right.

DISCALIMER - Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I watched last night's episode of GOT in a pretty much completely dark room and I had trouble seeing what was going on. I tried changing the gamma from BT.1886 to 2.2, but it looked somewhat washed out and grainy (making the video compression artifacts more obvious, I guess). GOT's cinematographers rely on naturalistic lighting, but I've never really noticed things being too dark until last night's episode. For sure, this episode demands to be seen in the highest quality possible and, hopefully, the entire series will get a 4K UHD release.

·
Registered
20,220 Posts
I watched last night's episode of GOT in a pretty much completely dark room and I had trouble seeing what was going on. I tried changing the gamma from BT.1886 to 2.2, but it looked somewhat washed out and grainy (making the video compression artifacts more obvious, I guess). GOT's cinematographers rely on naturalistic lighting, but I've never really noticed things being too dark until last night's episode. For sure, this episode demands to be seen in the highest quality possible and, hopefully, the entire series will get a 4K UHD release.

Season 1 already has one, season 8 is up for preorder and everyone is hoping for the “complete” set soon :) just expect to pay 300-350 for it if the $250 for the regular BR is any indication.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you again for your hard work. The SDR settings are phenomenal. Best the TV has ever looked.

I continue to fight DV. The cinema setting is simply too dark and crushes details. I've used the default settings, the DV files and your settings but I keep defaulting back to Cinema home. The difference is stark between both settings. Using internal Netflix and Vudu app for DV content.
Try using @sonoftumble settings but increasing sharpness to 20 and setting dynamic contrast to low and see if that appeals more to your eye. Works for me. You can also try increasing oled light to 60 which may give you more of the brightness in cinema home. Won't be the same but try to find tweeks to his settings that may work for you.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts

Anyways I digress.
Though I used @sonoftumble latest settings (with HBO GO - not cable broadcast) and it honestly wasn't AS terrible as people were making it out to be...and I watched it at 6PM PT when the sun was still up...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Season 1 already has one, season 8 is up for preorder and everyone is hoping for the “complete” set soon :) just expect to pay 300-350 for it if the $250 for the regular BR is any indication.

The last episode was just afwully dark. Everyone i talked to said it. So that's not on the C7 ;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

Anyways I digress.
Low bitrate/compression is bad either way. Last nights episode would have been a true torture test. I don’t have major issues, personally via my ATV4K and HBOGO, I know what to expect when watching. The discs are what I’m really waiting for.
A complaint heard round the world regardless of the panel tech we watch TV with. When it comes to digital video compression and this GoT "Battle" episode, there is a common thread.

Name the source: HBO GO, HBO NOW, HBO via Amazon, HBO via cable/satellite, etc. - streamers vs. broadcast - they all have one thing in common: H.264 - the 1080P codec which has been in use for over a decade. Although it looks great on Blu-ray where compression is somewhat mild, it's very inefficient vs. H.265 which was developed for 4K. H.264 falls flat on its face when it comes to low light or noisy content because it doesn't like to be compressed very much.

This particular GoT episode was/is an H.264 torture test. For starters it was daaaark - 80 minutes of daaaark! I can't imagine trying to watch this episode on an LCD local dimming panel. The blooming would have sent me over the edge. On top of that, there was extreme noise in some scenes; especially flying through the snowy clouds, or Bran "seeing" through the ravens. Personally, I didn't think it was all that terrible, but when you know what to look for, it's hard to "un-see" it.

If we could have watched the same episode using H.265 HDR10 or Dolby Vision, those compression artifacts would not have been present, or not nearly as much of an issue. Specifically Dolby Vision, because it does not allow compression. I personally watched on my AppleTV 4K running the HBO GO app. Had the same issues as any other content delivery service. Basically, GoT was handcuffed by the current TV infrastructure.

Looking forward to the day when the entire series will be released either on UHD Blu-ray or when Apple's iTunes has a Dolby Vision package. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
The last episode was just afwully dark. Everyone i talked to said it. So that's not on the C7 ;)
Weird, all my friends with LCD tvs said the same thing, but I watched it fine on my C7

Here's two of the worst scenes:

DSC_0779.jpg DSC_0780.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Datagg
35441 - 35460 of 37533 Posts