AVS Forum banner

37701 - 37720 of 37748 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I think picture quality is dictated more by the processor then the panel. There has been very little changed in the panels themselves .There is nothing from stopping you from trying different settings you may find from different year sets but there is probably little likely hood you will see much /any difference.
Yep agree, that's why Panasonic is the top of the heap and Sony is motion processing king.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think picture quality is dictated more by the processor then the panel. There has been very little changed in the panels themselves .There is nothing from stopping you from trying different settings you may find from different year sets but there is probably little likely hood you will see much /any difference.
Regarding the, "there has been very little changed in the panels", I seem to remember reading in this thread quite a while back that starting in one of the post-2017 model years there was a change in the design or size of the OLEDs that was supposed to at least somewhat address the potential for burn-in... Not sure if it would have any impact on settings, but might it be an advantage over a replacement with another 2017 model year panel from a future burn-in standpoint?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yep agree, that's why Panasonic is the top of the heap and Sony is motion processing king.
It is my understanding that the Panasonic quality is less about the electronics/processor and software and more about the heavier metal back used for better heat management the panel that significantly improves the near black uniformity issues found in both LG’s and Sony’s sets. Oh and the Panasonic comes calibrated from the factory.

I wish they would sell them in the US.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Regarding the, "there has been very little changed in the panels", I seem to remember reading in this thread quite a while back that starting in one of the post-2017 model years there was a change in the design or size of the OLEDs that was supposed to at least somewhat address the potential for burn-in... Not sure if it would have any impact on settings, but might it be an advantage over a replacement with another 2017 model year panel from a future burn-in standpoint?
Yep, I believe the size & shape size of the red pixel is different. This absolutely would impact calibration settings (not that you can even use the settings from one set on another set but that is a different discussion.)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
It is my understanding that the Panasonic quality is less about the electronics/processor and software and more about the heavier metal backplane used for cooling the panel that significantly improves the near black uniformity issues found in both LG’s and Sony’s sets. Oh and the Panasonic comes calibrated from the factory.

I wish they would sell them in the US.
My understanding is its' due their superior processing. I've had two of the theirs and I can confirm image quality was superior to LG.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My understanding is its' due their superior processing. I've had two of the theirs and I can confirm image quality was superior to LG.
You maybe correct but the near black performance, which is a big issue on all other oleds, is not do to better image processing but heat management of the panel. This also allows for a brighter image as compared to the competition. It’s also one reason it cost more (it is heavier.)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Every manufacturers motion processing is **** in my opinion. I've seen Sony and it's **** as well.

Any semi-complicated scene and it's obvious the weirdness on the edges. I don't understand how anyone can bear to watch it.

I turn all that crap off as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
You maybe correct but the near black performance, which is a big issue on all other oleds, is not do to better image processing but heat management of the panel. This also allows for a brighter image as compared to the competition. It’s also one reason it cost more (it is heavier.)
I believe you Sir.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Every manufacturers motion processing is ** in my opinion. I've seen Sony and it's ** as well.

Any semi-complicated scene and it's obvious the weirdness on the edges. I don't understand how anyone can bear to watch it.

I turn all that crap off as much as possible.
Agree I don't use any motion processing on anything ever.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oops. Was taking my 65” C7 off wall mount in preparation for 77” CX coming soon and will be using a new mount. I just saw I had never removed the plastic film on the back of the C7. Just pulled it off now after 3 years! Hope I didn’t cook the panel all this time. Yikes. At least it looks nice and shiny.

·
Vendor
27,516 Posts
Oops. Was taking my 65” C7 off wall mount in preparation for 77” CX coming soon and will be using a new mount. I just saw I had never removed the plastic film on the back of the C7. Just pulled it off now after 3 years! Hope I didn’t cook the panel all this time. Yikes. At least it looks nice and shiny.
lol, well you must not have cocked it if it still works.......

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
lol, well you must not have cocked it if it still works.......
Yeah I just wonder now if the calibration is off or if the brightness has been affected. It will be relegated to the bedroom but still should get many years of use so I hope it’s not messed up. There really should have been a remove before use label. It was hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
20,436 Posts
Lol my C7 should be long gone by then with my 4 to 5 year cycle.
Yeah, I figure most folks will have sent the TV to a secondary watch position, have another component fail or get rid of the TV before they ever reach half life. It’s rare that folks keep TVs long enough for them to be “unwatchable” via length of use these days (single owner).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
37701 - 37720 of 37748 Posts