AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 37544 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Ordered the 65c7 and the Oppo 203 today. Really excited, after 9 Years on Plasma (Kuro,Panasonic) I finally took the plunge into something new. Waited a long time but the C7 just sounds about right. And you never know, Disney might release Rogue One on xmas in Dolby Vision :D
Congrats! that is the exact setup I have right now. Still learning a lot about both components and I am far from having them both dialed in but I've enjoyed the experience so far!

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Will they replace for one pixel? I've gone through pixel nightmares over the years. Put it this way, I'm not sticking my nose up to the screen to look but I will see it if it happens. I have a keen OCD eye. :rolleyes:

I've been pretty luck lately with dead pixels. I'm hoping my lucky streak continues.
No, it takes more than that for LG to initiate a screen replacement (how many more is the open question, eight is the last I've heard) and with the uniformity on yours, I'm not sure you should bother even if you do develop one. After one E6 and four G6 units (including the latest $16k 77" monstrosity, which has 4...no way in h-e double hockeysticks that I'd go through the trouble of getting them to exchange the screen for that; the hassle factor is just too much of a headache), all of them suffered from dead subpixels. Interestingly, the sole EF9500 I had did not (but had huge problems in the uniformity dept).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats! that is the exact setup I have right now. Still learning a lot about both components and I am far from having them both dialed in but I've enjoyed the experience so far!
Feel free to share any settings or obstacles you might encounter over PM.
I will join the conversation mid next week. :D

·
Registered
977 Posts
At less than 5% off of theMSRP of the 65C7P, I agree with you.

Unless your concerned about the panel lottery and nervous about having to deal with LG directly - nobody treats their customers better than Costco with their 'no questions asked' return policy, and the value of that peace of mind when plunging into something new (and expensive) can be worth a lot to some ;).
If you're a panel lottery player - B7 is probably your safest choice for this very reason.

If you get a little too crazy, Best Buy will ban you from returns for 90 days. Amazon will just flat-out ban you forever - and I buy way too much stuff from them to risk that ever happening.

·
Registered
97 Posts
And another (yeah I broke down and have checked the torture slides) with me enhancing it to make it show up. Looks nothing like this in real life.

The bands are not noticeable in regular content and have diminished a lot from day one.
Lookin good, congrats man! The cycles and hours definitely help! I did not discriminate vs manual and auto cycles on my last B6 but after 250 hours I'd say it cleared up nearly half the issues (not sure which factored most). Playing nice and letting nature take its course this time.

Curious, what are your hours and cycle statistics at this point? Can you post your UTT and OLED comp. count?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You have indirect support through the Amazon app for the apps you mentioned - I was able to watch the whole season of Westworld with a free trial. You would pay through your Amazon account.

That sucks...looks like I have to have prime to also get my starz...would be nice if I could just do it separately rather than pay an extra 11/mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
That sucks...looks like I have to have prime to also get my starz...would be nice if I could just do it separately rather than pay an extra 11/mo
Well, on the bright side you my like some of the original HDR/UHD programming that Amazon offers

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, damn. I forgot that the GTX 970 does not support hardware level decoding of HEVC. The discovery that my computer goes into a coma when playing a UHD HEVC file spawned a couple hours of research and another $1000 in upgrades (almost an entire new PC). I was way overdue for a lot of PC upgrades anyway, and my combined gaming + media use of it demands very powerful hardware.

If you've got a setup like me, don't forget about this!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Things seem to be updated quite frequently. Unfortunately only the G6 has access to HDR in YouTube at the moment.
That's absurd! Don't all 2016 sets except for the B have the same SoC? I wouldn't call that a great update schedule, my janky Tizen Samsung KS8000 has YouTube HDR.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So what's LG's official policy on dead pixels?
Any particular numbers minimum for them to agree to replace (or position of the dead pixel)?

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
It's unpublished (case-by-case?). One number I've heard is 8 (oops, repeating myself here :)). Inquire with support if you dare. There is a disclaimer about the "Dot Defect" in the 2015 and 2016 user manuals (probably there for 2017 as well), which describes the dead subpixel phenomenon as completely normal (within reason).

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Checked out Planet Earth II in 4K as well as MLB The Show 17 (PS4 Pro) and both were impressive on the C7. The Show supports HDR as well has having a 4K resolution mode - pretty amazing looking. I'll try and post a pic later tonight of both on display...

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Lookin good, congrats man! The cycles and hours definitely help! I did not discriminate vs manual and auto cycles on my last B6 but after 250 hours I'd say it cleared up nearly half the issues (not sure which factored most). Playing nice and letting nature take its course this time.

Curious, what are your hours and cycle statistics at this point? Can you post your UTT and OLED comp. count?
How do you get that info? I have performed two forced comp cycles. I'm reluctant to do it again since I think I read it should be done sparingly.

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
No, it takes more than that for LG to initiate a screen replacement (how many more is the open question, eight is the last I've heard)
It is case by case, I have heard of people getting there sets swapped over 1. Of course there is a difference between dead and stuck. Great news is it does not seem very common when 100% of the TV's are considered.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
I am specifically referring to dead subpixels. Those are pretty common since all five 2016 panels I've owned have them in one form or another. The stuck-on pixel situation is indeed rare, can easily be seen from 10 feet out (unlike the dead ones), and is properly covered by LG.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What do you guys think of the vignetting and uniformity of my 65B6P?
Honestly? Looks horrible to me, but I'm coming from a 55E6P perspective. I've seen a couple worse 65s, but a lot more that are better.

Then again, these panels clear up and improve over time. Two weeks isn't long. Give it more time; I bet it improves a lot.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Posted this in the owners thread but got no response other than to just enjoy the TV.

What do you guys think of the vignetting and uniformity of my 65B6P?

It's a 1/2017 build that I've had for about 2 weeks purchased from ielectrica / ebay.
Not good looking you got really heavy vignetting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not good looking you got really heavy vignetting.
So, I believe I used Expert Bright or Dark (not 100% sure) at the default settings when I took these pics yesterday.

When others are taking these pics, what settings are they using? I mean, does the setting used when playing the slides matter or should I not see this much vignetting no matter the setting?

541 - 560 of 37544 Posts