AVS Forum banner

7841 - 7860 of 37933 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know this may be a loaded question or request for opinions, but here it goes.

If you had the opportunity to buy a Sony ZD9 75" for $6k, which is about 3k less than the going price but you were also interested in OLED but due to price you were limited to 65" size, what would you do? Consider that finances is not an issue, well unless going to 77" OLED which would be too high financially.

Primary use would be gaming from console and PC with some UHD movie watching. Seating would be 7-8' away from the screen and seating would be straight on, so no concerns about view angles.

Just looking for opinions. Granted I know I am posting in a OLED LG thread, so I garner which way some would say, but taking into account it is mainly for gaming, you want good HDR performance and screen burn may be a concern, but I generally don't play the same game for 3-4-5 hours straight.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.
Make sure to compare the operating systems in each. I recently helped a friend set up a Sony 900 and the OS was horrible...very sluggish and unresponsive. To me it was a deal breaker in ever considering a Sony, unless their picture is head and shoulders better than the LG.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks. OLED is completely new to me and I was not sure. But I used them for improving contrast on LED sets. Does the power on the USB port turn off when the TV turns off? I might get one still for eye strain.
I'm confirming that the USB does power down when the TV is shut off. I have a Luminoodle strip plugged into it, and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So I decided to go with a LG OLED. Only have been a LCD owner. Do Bias lights that go on the back of the screen beneficial with OLED screens?

All the bias lights I have had have worked great, but that was for LCD's and not sure if it benefits OLED. The ones I have used plug into the USB ports for power and when the TV is turned off they turn off, I know on some Sony's it constantly provides power to he USB port and never turns off the bias light, so does the C7 turn off the bias lights via usb, if bias lights are used on OLEDs?

Thanks!
Since I believe the professionals that encode the transfer from film to video use bias lighting when calibrating the transfer, I cannot imagine why a person wouldn't use it. By using it, you should get a much more accurate reproduction of what was seeen when the image was mastered for video.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So I decided to go with a LG OLED. Only have been a LCD owner. Do Bias lights that go on the back of the screen beneficial with OLED screens?

All the bias lights I have had have worked great, but that was for LCD's and not sure if it benefits OLED. The ones I have used plug into the USB ports for power and when the TV is turned off they turn off, I know on some Sony's it constantly provides power to he USB port and never turns off the bias light, so does the C7 turn off the bias lights via usb, if bias lights are used on OLEDs?

Thanks!
Thanks. OLED is completely new to me and I was not sure. But I used them for improving contrast on LED sets. Does the power on the USB port turn off when the TV turns off? I might get one still for eye strain.
The string I had plugged right into the USB. When TV powered up they came on, off and powered down. I got the luminoodle set to help blacks on my now for sale UH8500. They helped that situation so much, it was really amazing how well they worked. As for the C7, I will grab a set for that also, yet not for the same reason as blacks don't need help... But for eyestrain, and just a pleasant look all around I will grab another set in time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
I know this may be a loaded question or request for opinions, but here it goes.

If you had the opportunity to buy a Sony ZD9 75" for $6k, which is about 3k less than the going price but you were also interested in OLED but due to price you were limited to 65" size, what would you do? Consider that finances is not an issue, well unless going to 77" OLED which would be too high financially.

Primary use would be gaming from console and PC with some UHD movie watching. Seating would be 7-8' away from the screen and seating would be straight on, so no concerns about view angles.

Just looking for opinions. Granted I know I am posting in a OLED LG thread, so I garner which way some would say, but taking into account it is mainly for gaming, you want good HDR performance and screen burn may be a concern, but I generally don't play the same game for 3-4-5 hours straight.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.
Make sure to compare the operating systems in each. I recently helped a friend set up a Sony 900 and the OS was horrible...very sluggish and unresponsive. To me it was a deal breaker in ever considering a Sony, unless their picture is head and shoulders better than the LG.
Absolutely this. This is the exact reason I swapped my A1E for a C7 and wouldn't change it for the world.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just don't post this in the Sony thread...heads will explode!

Not really, this is a well-acknowledged and appreciated issue in the Sony thread. There are ways to ameliorate it but still not that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,530 Posts
Not really, this is a well-acknowledged and appreciated issue in the Sony thread. There are ways to ameliorate it but still not that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just being facetious.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am having trouble outputting Dolby Atmos from the Youtube app on my B7, any clues?

From the Dolby Access app it works fine, my Denon receiver is displaying Atmos, but not on youtube. When I use the search function on youtube, there is a lot of Atmos content that I would love to test. Is there any option I need to enable?

thank you.
p.s I get only standard Dolby Digital with these titles.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I am having trouble outputting Dolby Atmos from the Youtube app on my B7, any clues?

From the Dolby Access app it works fine, my Denon receiver is displaying Atmos, but not on youtube. When I use the search function on youtube, there is a lot of Atmos content that I would love to test. Is there any option I need to enable?

thank you.
p.s I get only standard Dolby Digital with these titles.
But is it actual Atmos content? The LG will only do DD+/Atmos (lossy) streams which is a limitation of the technology (ARC). I think if it sees a True-HD/Atmos (lossless) stream it kicks it down to plain old DD; at least that is what mine does with the built in Plex app.

·
Registered
321 Posts
But is it actual Atmos content? The LG will only do DD+/Atmos (lossy) streams which is a limitation of the technology (ARC). I think if it sees a True-HD/Atmos (lossless) stream it kicks it down to plain old DD; at least that is what mine does with the built in Plex app.
I don't know if it's real Atmos for the youtube app, these are the demos provided by Dolby that I'm trying to watch. From the Dolby Access app on the LG, the Atmos kicks in. Also there is one title avaible on Netflix that has Atmos and it works also.

So like you said it might not even be Atmos on youtube.

·
Registered
979 Posts
All OLEDs i've had have been incredibly different. First one had huge dark patch to the right that didnt disappear and vertical lines all over the screen(in content), second had fewer bands but two really thick ones to the left and the right, third had two big ones to the right and one to the left. The fourth, the one i have now is fine. No banding. Glad i returned the others, those were one 2015 model and three 2016 models though, i think LG has managed to make them worse than last year.

Besides, the prices for OLEDs gets better and better. The reason they are expensive is because it's a premium product and premium performance, they are very similar to high end LCDs in price, i very much doubt the returns have much to do with prices....
Based on your purchase history issues with OLED, why did you buy a 4th OLED as 75% were bad?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't know if it's real Atmos for the youtube app, these are the demos provided by Dolby that I'm trying to watch. From the Dolby Access app on the LG, the Atmos kicks in. Also there is one title avaible on Netflix that has Atmos and it works also.

So like you said it might not even be Atmos on youtube.
The Atmos in the LG App, Netflix, and Vudu are all DD+/Atmos Lossy. Vudu has all the Dolby Atmos demos that you can add to your movies for free. I use them when demoing my system for guests.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Atmos in the LG App, Netflix, and Vudu are all DD+/Atmos Lossy. Vudu has all the Dolby Atmos demos that you can add to your movies for free. I use them when demoing my system for guests.
thanks for the info, I didn't know there was any lossy Atmos, and unfortunately in Canada we don't have access to Vudu.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don’t blame them. I can’t get over how bad near-blacks are on the LGs. Whether Sony’s A1E is better in this regard doesn’t interest me. The LGs are just plain bad in this space, and it appears the only way to address this is to crush blacks a little to hide it.

If the prices were equal and the input latency was better on the Z9D, I think I’d swap my C7 for a Z9D in a heartbeat. At least then I wouldn’t have mosquitos all over the screen in dark scenes during Game of Thrones. You get a dark scene with some brighter highlights in a section of the display and it’s just plain ugly. The amount of noise is staggering. If the A1E doesn’t suffer from this issue due to better processing, you should buy that TV if you’re not a gamer and can live with the joke of a stand.

I’m sure many will say get the LG professionally calibrated. Maybe this fixes the issue. Maybe it doesn’t (I sincerely doubt it does since it appears you can only hide it by crushing blacks).. Either way, after spending this kind of money on an OLED one should not have a problem that can only be fixed by shelling out yet more money.
I am in Canada and have been watching GOT on the Rogers cable HBO channel using their 4K box which upscales everything to 4K. I don't seem to have the same problems you are having. I must admit that I have always found GOT to be have a much darker picture than anything else I watch on HBO.

·
Registered
290 Posts
you can also use Kodi/DSPlayer + MadVR to get HDR playback. AND with MadVR 3DLUT, makes a world of difference. Unless you have a hardware 3DLUT.

7841 - 7860 of 37933 Posts