AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 38197 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
might be picking one of these up.for a smoking deal (i know, no prices to be mentioned).

question: for many of you buying or having an LG OLED: How long will you keep it before flipping to a newer model?
i'd like to think that buying a b7 model, with good 4k resolution, uhd, hdr, dolby atmos, dolby vision,
etc will keep me in good stead for at least 5 yrs.
I bought the C7 and expect to keep it for the next 5-6 years. By then I expect OLED brightness to improve a lot and image retention to be worked out or microLED to take off.

Seriously though, you come here on AVS forum and you think people have a ton of issues with their OLED TVs but seeing mine in person I'm in love.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm sorry, but other's have said that these reviews may not be as accurate as they can be but when I see them leave Contrast set to 100 :eek: in ISF Dark mode, I can guarantee that the set is clipping. I never saw an LG that didn't clip with contrast over 85. AND they said they raised the Contrast to 100 since it helped with the calibration lol :eek: What? :eek: All this makes me very suspicious of their settings and they really should only be used as a guide in their evaluation.
Yeah, any of these sites that list settings should be considered only starting points to work from. Besides the contrast being too high, an OLED light at 16 would be far too low for my taste. Really that's what it comes down to. What looks good to you. For instance, I hate the look of Warm 2 color temp and tons of people use that. I much prefer Warm 1. Throw in panel variation and its a crapshoot.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm sorry, but other's have said that these reviews may not be as accurate as they can be but when I see them leave Contrast set to 100 :eek: in ISF Dark mode, I can guarantee that the set is clipping. I never saw an LG that didn't clip with contrast over 85. AND they said they raised the Contrast to 100 since it helped with the calibration lol :eek: What? :eek: All this makes me very suspicious of their settings and they really should only be used as a guide in their evaluation.
Hi John!

What is the correct setting for sharpness on the C7? Is it 10 or 0? Just trying to find what the best setting is with no additional Sharpness added to the image.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gamers - Help convince me to keep my new LG C7

I was so excited at the thought of perfect blacks, superior motion blur handling, and very low input lag. I did tons of research, for months, and the C7 seemed like it was the display I'd been waiting for. After two days of endlessly messing with settings and reading articles I'm not sure it's worth the price tag.

I'm coming from a decent, 4k 55" Samsung that I bought almost 2 years ago. I mostly do 4k gaming on my PC in the living room and thought ordering my 1080 TI was the perfect occasion to upgrade my television as well to achieve 4k gaming nirvana. I also play on a regular PS4 from time to time when something interesting and console-exclusive comes out.

I've played things in every possible combination of 4k/1080p, HDR/Non-HDR, and 30fps/60fps on PC and PS4, and changing settings on the TV between standard, expert, and gaming picture modes. I was even able, on the PC, to set a custom resolution of 1080p at 120hz, which made games running at 120fps look perfect with no blur, perfect blacks, AND no input lag in Game Mode! However, I can't figure out any way to unlock 120hz for any resolutions higher than 1080p, which ultimately makes it fall short. If I could get it to run at even just 1440p, 120hz I'd say that's good enough for the time being, but I don't know if that's possible.

So, thoughts so far:

- After all that I absolutely agree the black levels are stunning. They're flawless and no display I've seen can compete with it there.

- Juddering in Game Mode is the same on both of them, and it's awful for anything under 60fps, and still annoying and distracting even at 60fps. This is most noticeable when panning the camera (or seeing an object move) from side-to-side across the screen. The quicker it moves, the more pronounced the ghosting on either side. If I could figure out how to set custom higher resolutions at 120hz on the PC this could be fixed, though.

- Turning off Game Mode and using standard or one of the expert modes and then enabling Tru Motion (I tried both preset and custom values) removes the juddering to a degree that makes it OK, but doing so increases the input lag to a level that is just past what would be acceptable, and is the same as turning on Motion Smoothing on my Samsung. So, same tradeoff where you either get no judder and terrible input lag, or great input lag but awful judder, which gives me headaches.

- When Black Level is set to "Low", and a certain percentage of the screen is covered by a white image, the screen automatically dims turning it to a gray color. All the eco stuff is disabled, and after research I found that this has to do with a setting that is only accessible through their instart service menu. It's an anti-burn-in feature, which I guess is good but I opted for a wear-and-tear warranty that repairs/replaces any burn-in, so I'd rather it not do that.

- Activating Game Mode when in HDR on the PS4 reduces the brightness of the display significantly. Brightness is the same as leaving it in non-HDR Game Mode, but looks as if I moved the OLED Brightness (light emission, not the image setting) down to 10 or 20 from 100.

Wrap up when comparing next to my old one, the black levels are incredible, but it doesn't seem to do anything else better. Input lag and juddering are still issues, and of course peak brightness isn't as high but I don't care about that as much. Not having access to the service menu, I can't disable that annoying global dimming anti-burn-in feature either, so that's a bummer.

$4000 is a lot for a television (for me, at least), so - what am I missing? Are there magic settings or something else that simple ignorance is keeping me from fully embracing this new technology? I want to love it...help me love it :/

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Does the RealCinema feature on these TVs work on 60p sources, e.g. OTA broadcast channels such as ABC and Fox? On 2016 model LG OLEDs (and earlier, I believe), the RealCinema feature could only restore native 24p cadence if the 24p material was transmitted through an interlaced signal, e.g. an OTA broadcast channel such as CBS or NBC using 60i. This was a disadvantage of LG's motion processing capabilities relative to Sony and Samsung, which can restore 24p cadence from both progressive and interlaced sources, e.g. 60p and 60i.

The "judder-free 24p" info over at Rtings.com indicates that RealCinema now works on 60p content for the 2017 C7. If that's true, the RealCinema menu setting should NOT be grayed out when tuned to a progressive scan channel (e.g. ABC, Fox) as it is on a 2016 model LG OLED. (Note that whether a particular channel is progressive scan for you will depend on your cable/satellite provider and how their set-top box is configured.) If a C7 owner could check whether or not the RealCinema menu setting is grayed out when displaying an interlaced source, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HDMI ARC lip sync?

First off - loving the new 55C7. The Dolby Access app has some good demo clips for Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and HDR content on Netflix and Amazon look amazing!

Is anyone having lip sync problems when using HDMI ARC? I have a Samsung K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar hooked up to the TV and depending on the content, sync seems to be way off. I've tried tweaking both A/V sync in the television and sound bar and can't seem to dial it in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
EDIT: Screen size = 65" as requested.

Unfortunately it seems the banding regressed. Photo attached. I thought things were heading in the right direction, but with this recent development I have lost confidence in compensation cycle black magic. Going to see if I can exchange it, but for now im just continuing to run it to see what happens and collect some information about how much "break in" can truly affect things.

I did also run a manual comp cycle after seeing this. No change.

I did attempt 3 manual comp. cycles as someone here previously experienced success in doing (approximately over the course of a 24-hour period, so not in quick succession), but that did nothing to suppress the dark columns, possibly even made them more visible.
That came from me I think. It did work for me, but only to reduce banding. It didnt suppress dark columns but I have never been able to spot dark columns outside of the 5% slide.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was so excited at the thought of perfect blacks, superior motion blur handling, and very low input lag. I did tons of research, for months, and the C7 seemed like it was the display I'd been waiting for. After two days of endlessly messing with settings and reading articles I'm not sure it's worth the price tag.

I'm coming from a decent, 4k 55" Samsung that I bought almost 2 years ago. I mostly do 4k gaming on my PC in the living room and thought ordering my 1080 TI was the perfect occasion to upgrade my television as well to achieve 4k gaming nirvana. I also play on a regular PS4 from time to time when something interesting and console-exclusive comes out.

I've played things in every possible combination of 4k/1080p, HDR/Non-HDR, and 30fps/60fps on PC and PS4, and changing settings on the TV between standard, expert, and gaming picture modes. I was even able, on the PC, to set a custom resolution of 1080p at 120hz, which made games running at 120fps look perfect with no blur, perfect blacks, AND no input lag in Game Mode! However, I can't figure out any way to unlock 120hz for any resolutions higher than 1080p, which ultimately makes it fall short. If I could get it to run at even just 1440p, 120hz I'd say that's good enough for the time being, but I don't know if that's possible.

So, thoughts so far:

- After all that I absolutely agree the black levels are stunning. They're flawless and no display I've seen can compete with it there.

- Juddering in Game Mode is the same on both of them, and it's awful for anything under 60fps, and still annoying and distracting even at 60fps. This is most noticeable when panning the camera (or seeing an object move) from side-to-side across the screen. The quicker it moves, the more pronounced the ghosting on either side. If I could figure out how to set custom higher resolutions at 120hz on the PC this could be fixed, though.

- Turning off Game Mode and using standard or one of the expert modes and then enabling Tru Motion (I tried both preset and custom values) removes the juddering to a degree that makes it OK, but doing so increases the input lag to a level that is just past what would be acceptable, and is the same as turning on Motion Smoothing on my Samsung. So, same tradeoff where you either get no judder and terrible input lag, or great input lag but awful judder, which gives me headaches.

- When Black Level is set to "Low", and a certain percentage of the screen is covered by a white image, the screen automatically dims turning it to a gray color. All the eco stuff is disabled, and after research I found that this has to do with a setting that is only accessible through their instart service menu. It's an anti-burn-in feature, which I guess is good but I opted for a wear-and-tear warranty that repairs/replaces any burn-in, so I'd rather it not do that.

- Activating Game Mode when in HDR on the PS4 reduces the brightness of the display significantly. Brightness is the same as leaving it in non-HDR Game Mode, but looks as if I moved the OLED Brightness (light emission, not the image setting) down to 10 or 20 from 100.

Wrap up when comparing next to my old one, the black levels are incredible, but it doesn't seem to do anything else better. Input lag and juddering are still issues, and of course peak brightness isn't as high but I don't care about that as much. Not having access to the service menu, I can't disable that annoying global dimming anti-burn-in feature either, so that's a bummer.

$4000 is a lot for a television (for me, at least), so - what am I missing? Are there magic settings or something else that simple ignorance is keeping me from fully embracing this new technology? I want to love it...help me love it :/

I am PC gaming on my C7 as-well. Put about 80hrs on it right and still love every minute of it :)

I did not fee this way with the E6 or B6's I had for gaming.

How in the world are you getting juddering with 60fps or 120fps games on here!?! I have not seen that at all. I use PC mode and been using ISF bright with 35 oled light and 85 contrast, All enhancements off and my Leo Bodnar still shows 21ms!

Can you post a video showing the juddering your getting on your C7?

I could maybe understand juddering with 24fps content but all 60 and 120fps content on here with gaming is butter smooth, even panning etc.

What games are you seeing this in? Did you use motion interpolation with your Samsung for gaming? You like that soap opera effect? Maybe you got use to that motion interpolation?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Unfortunately it seems the banding regressed. Photo attached. I thought things were heading in the right direction, but with this recent development I have lost confidence in compensation cycle black magic. Going to see if I can exchange it, but for now im just continuing to run it to see what happens and collect some information about how much "break in" can truly affect things.

I did also run a manual comp cycle after seeing this. No change.

That came from me I think. It did work for me, but only to reduce banding. It didnt suppress dark columns but I have never been able to spot dark columns outside of the 5% slide.
What size is that ? it looks terrible mate, it seems to have vignetting too ?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

So, thoughts so far:

If you go to rtings.com and look at the review you will see that 1080P is the only resolution you can get 120hz at 1080P for PC. Most TV's don't even do that at this point, you are in the minority who can do 1080p 120hz on their PC. You will not get any higher Hz above 1080P on any TV for PC games and there are only a couple that do that right now.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
That's the effect of ABL (automatic brightness limiter) circuit. Nothing in the service menu is going to change that. The TPC setting in the service menu only affects automatic dimming of static images - a type of screen saver.

I suggest you try what Blackvette94 suggested and set your contrast to 85 and OLED Light to 35. That should reduce the overall brightness to a level where it will no longer dim when more bright content shows on the screen. Let us know if that fixes it.

No idea about your judder issues. But FYI, there is no TV (or even computer monitor) currently available that will do 4K @120Hz. You're lucky to even get [email protected] because that is still extremely rare on TVs. Support will probably improve in a few years when HDMI 2.1 comes standard.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am PC gaming on my C7 as-well. Put about 80hrs on it right and still love every minute of it :)

I did not fee this way with the E6 or B6's I had for gaming.

How in the world are you getting juddering with 60fps or 120fps games on here!?! I have not seen that at all. I use PC mode and been using ISF bright with 35 oled light and 85 contrast, All enhancements off and my Leo Bodnar still shows 21ms!

Can you post a video showing the juddering your getting on your C7?

I could maybe understand juddering with 24fps content but all 60 and 120fps content on here with gaming is butter smooth, even panning etc.

What games are you seeing this in? Did you use motion interpolation with your Samsung for gaming? You like that soap opera effect? Maybe you got use to that motion interpolation?
I think bowman is getting the judder mostly with 30 fps games. I know what he's talking about. When I tried Forza Horizon 3 Demo on my E6 last year and I was turning 360 degrees in a circle with the car to make the background with the trees pan, it was a stuttery mess that I can see could give headaches.

Like rtings said, I think this has more to do with the fact that the OLED has a pixel response time of 0.1ms and thus, unlike with LCD where the motion of 30 fps games is smoothed out by the lower pixel response time, it doesn't happen on OLED and you feel the low framerate more.

On 60 fps on my PC there was no problem though, just the motion blur of sample and hold. 120hz must be amazing because each frame is on the screen for half the time but I don't think all game engines can go up to 120hz even if you have the power for it.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Unfortunately it seems the banding regressed.
Ugh! This irritates me to no end. Yeah no panel is perfect, but come on! Instead of a 3D petition how about a less than total crap uniformity petition? I'd take a panel 3" thick if it solved this issue.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Can someone who's got a 2017 LG OLED connected to a computer do me a favor and post the EDID info of the TV?
You can use the tool form here to do it. After it's installed, select file->save_report from the menu. Please post the saved .txt file here as attachment.

If you still have a 2016 model, posting its EDID would also be helpful so we can compare.

Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
30 fps is juddery in games no matter what display you are using.
Not that juddery. I was comparing my E6 to my LCD PC monitor and LCD projector at the same time in that Forza test session and the judder was way less pronounced on the LCDs (but present). Been playing 30 fps console games for a long time on LCDs so I saw it right away on the OLED.

It really stuck out on the E6. It was the Forza Horizon 3 demo on xbox one at 30 fps. Didn't get to test out tons of games before returning my E6's and I returned them because of uniformity not because of that judder in Forza.

Uncharted 4 was pretty bad too but more because of the motion blur that seems to be heavy in that game's engine.

It's was still looking great though and at 60 fps with my PC it was superb! Loving the input lag even at 4:4:4 4k 60 fps and the 120hz option of the C7. Still debating between C7 or A1E.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Hi John!

What is the correct setting for sharpness on the C7? Is it 10 or 0? Just trying to find what the best setting is with no additional Sharpness added to the image.
The default is still 10 which will work fine.

Reactions: ChaosCloud

·
Registered
375 Posts
Are we talking about motion blur (eye tracking), or judder, as in jerky framerates?
I often use this site for testing, maybe it can help you isolate issues.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

Also, was I imagining things, or did someone in this thread report that 120Hz was possible at 4k in 4:2:0 or 4:2:2? (i.e. not PC mode)

1001 - 1020 of 38197 Posts