AVS Forum banner

16881 - 16900 of 37556 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are two FW/software updates you need to run, and then you need to change to a different picture mode when watching DV content . . . .

1) Update your C7 to FW Rev. 4.70.30 - The auto update function may say there is nothing to update. Get the direct download. Download both the file and the installation instructions: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65C7P

2) Update your AppleTV 4K to tvOS 11.2 - This is the new "must have" major update with frame rate and dynamic range matching integrated into the video settings options.

3) When watching DV content choose the "Cinema" picture mode, and NOT "Cinema (Home)". If things look a little dim to you, increase the OLED Light a bit to 60-80. I run it around 65. 80 would be the max.

Things should look much better afterwards. :)
I just purchased the Apple 4K yesterday and while it's kicks into Dolby Vision just fine and I'm using 11.2 firmware, I have matching range and frame rate set to on, SDR (playstation vue app) is being shown as if it were in Dolby Vision, activating Cinema User mode. There is nothing in 4K coming from that app. A B&W movie with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire was showing as being in Dolby Vision.

In a nutshell, with Dolby Vision active in my Apple TV, everything is being sent to the TV as Dolby Vision.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bought a C7P on the weekend and it may be going back. Not impressed with the quality of regular HD channels off of satellite, and 95% of my viewing is satellite. I hear the Sony does better processing. Wish I could afford the Sony OLED then to replace it, but it's $1000 more. May have to look at the 930e.
Which satellite service do you have? I am with DISH and I got my C7P looking pretty good with a Hopper 3.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Which satellite service do you have? I am with DISH and I got my C7P looking pretty good with a Hopper 3.
I am in Canada and have Shaw Direct. Some channels look fine, others look horrible. Whites sometimes look overblown (last nights NFL game, Ravens whites were hard to look at), then on the next thing they look too dark. Settings on my tv color wise are good, but then I go to bed and it looks to bright the next morning, no settings change. It is just really confusing as to why. The 1080p OLED did not do this

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am in Canada and have Shaw Direct. Some channels look fine, others look horrible. Whites sometimes look overblown (last nights NFL game, Ravens whites were hard to look at), then on the next thing they look too dark. Settings on my tv color wise are good, but then I go to bed and it looks to bright the next morning, no settings change. It is just really confusing as to why. The 1080p OLED did not do this
Well, sorry for your issues. Try out my attached settings for the hell of it and see if it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,244 Posts
Bought a C7P on the weekend and it may be going back. Not impressed with the quality of regular HD channels off of satellite, and 95% of my viewing is satellite. I hear the Sony does better processing. Wish I could afford the Sony OLED then to replace it, but it's $1000 more. May have to look at the 930e.

I’m not sure you’ll be “impressed” by any cable source. On top of the resolution they are bit starved feeds. While it may look slightly better on the Sony, impressing folks with regular cable is a tough task for any TV. Cable is a mixed bag and you’ll go from very good picture to horrible even on the same channel.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I have DirecTV, and the PQ when watching broadcast channels with 720P/1080i resolution is actually pretty good. I am ISF Certified, so I know the difference. You are on the cutting edge with the current TV tech. As I said in an earlier post, trying to make 720P/1080i signals look good on a 4K panel is a huge challenge. To get 1080P to fill a 4K screen requires that it be blown up by a factor of four. ( 4x ) It get's even worse with 720P/1080i content. ( See attachment ) Are you possibly watching SD channels?

This is like the old days when we were still watching VHS tapes, and every channel was SD and looked like crap on our HDTV's. Did you return that TV because it didn't make VHS or the local news look better?

The Sony X1 processor will clean up a lower rez signal somewhat better but NOT THAT MUCH better. It will also introduce more picture artifacts in its attempt to make it look better. And then when you get an actual 1080P or higher rez signal, all that processing is going to follow the signal right up the ladder - which will make the better signal actually look worse.

The Sony X930E is an edge lit panel, and although it does a pretty good job with blacks, there is still plenty of content out there that will trip it up, so just be forewarned. If all you are going to do is watch lower rez content, you might as well get a Vizio or TCL. They do a decent job with cable/sat signals and at least have FALD panels.

Also, before you pack it up, try the "Technicolor Expert" picture mode for SDR/cable/sat content and see if that helps. Set the Gamma to 2.2 unless your viewing room is pitch black.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I just purchased the Apple 4K yesterday and while it's kicks into Dolby Vision just fine and I'm using 11.2 firmware, I have matching range and frame rate set to on, SDR (playstation vue app) is being shown as if it were in Dolby Vision, activating Cinema User mode. There is nothing in 4K coming from that app. A B&W movie with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire was showing as being in Dolby Vision.

In a nutshell, with Dolby Vision active in my Apple TV, everything is being sent to the TV as Dolby Vision.

Any thoughts?
Set the basic home screen video output to 4K/60Hz ONLY with frame rate and dynamic range matching set to on Do not activate Dolby Vision or HDR for your home screen, just 4K/60Hz (SDR). The AppleTV will automatically push the appropriate signal based on the original dynamic range and frame rate of the content. This applies across all the apps. Bing and Fred will once again be in glorious SDR. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Set the basic home screen video output to 4K/60Hz ONLY with frame rate and dynamic range matching set to on Do not activate Dolby Vision or HDR for your home screen, just 4K/60Hz (SDR). The AppleTV will automatically push the appropriate signal based on the original dynamic range and frame rate of the content. This applies across all the apps. Bing and Fred will once again be in glorious SDR. :)

As always, thank you sir. Worked like a champ!

·
Registered
64 Posts
We worked on 14 sets and the B's were on average about 50 nits dimmer and the overall panel uniformity was not as good. Not bad just not as good. This doesn't mean that you can't get a perfect B just that the odds seem to be lower than with the more expensive sets in the line-up.
I'm beginning to think that my tv has some kind of brigthness problem because most people watch their content with oled light set to maximum 60 in the evening, but I'm barely satisfied with 60 in techincolor or isf bright in the complete dark room so I watch everything with oled light 80 and I wouldn't mind cranking it up to 100!. Hell, I'm not even impressed by the HDR mode by daylight, just looks kinda dim (maybe I should buy a tv with 1500 nits :D). Or maybe it's the choice of my movies I watch, the overall 'picture mood' as director of photography intended.
Contrast is set to 85, energy saving to OFF.
I bought this 55B7 to have a little improvement over G30 plasma (THX mode, contrast 40-45) in HD watching but now like there isn't much difference except deeper black.
This is my post I made earlier regarding the possible lower brightness in my tv, it is made in Poland in 10/2017.

Are these OLEDs you tested by any chance made in Europe? But 50 nits is not so much...

Sometimes I think the only acceptable way to really make a difference on my 'suspiciously dim' OLED is to watch everything in Vivid mode :p, oled light 100, cotrast 100, color at least 60 and color temp W25 - I already made that setting! But some kind of inner me tells me 'Don't watch in that preset, it's wrong' :)

Seriously, go to youtube and watch Grand Teton 8K in that setting, it's almost HDR :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had my B7 delivered as an upgrade to my 1080p LCD and I'm in the process of setting it up with a number of different streaming sources. It looks like I might have to play with the upscaling done by these sources and their controls aren't the most intuitive.

Is there a way to get the TV to tell me what signal it is receiving over the currently selected HDMI port?

Thanks.

P.S.: The colors are overwhelming!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I just had my B7 delivered as an upgrade to my 1080p LCD and I'm in the process of setting it up with a number of different streaming sources. It looks like I might have to play with the upscaling done by these sources and their controls aren't the most intuitive.

Is there a way to get the TV to tell me what signal it is receiving over the currently selected HDMI port?

Thanks.

P.S.: The colors are overwhelming!
Click on the cursor up button on the magic remote and then click the scroll wheel once or twice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What is the difference between using the 4K/60Hz(HDR) home screen frame rate as opposed to your 4K/60Hz(SDR) recommendation? I though that was best to use so that the screen saver remains in HDR. I also have dynamic range and frame rate set to ON.

I'm currently using the 4K/60Hz(HDR) option so I'm curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
What is the difference between using the 4K/60Hz(HDR) home screen frame rate as opposed to your 4K/60Hz(SDR) recommendation? I though that was best to use so that the screen saver remains in HDR. I also have dynamic range and frame rate set to ON.

I'm currently using the 4K/60Hz(HDR) option so I'm curious. Thanks.
I have the same setup as you. But there are those out there who don't want any HDR/DV unless the content calls for it - including the Home Screen. I like/prefer the arial screensaver in HDR. FANTASTIC! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just want to say - I am loving my C7!!

With that said, I am having issues with the Netflix app running on the TV...the home screen just shows up, but nothing more....

Has anyone else had this issue?

Do I need to reset the TV? If so, can someone provide me the directions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes it is .. just lie it flat on the box and attach the stand / screws .. there are many youtube videos that show how easy it is .. it is very light so not hard to handle ..

Just have a quick question as my C7 is expected to arrive from best buy Canada on Wednesday. Is it possible to unbox and set the TV on the stand by myself? I know due to the thinness these TVs are delicate and must be handled with care.

I'm assuming the delivery guy will just drop off the TV and be on his way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the same setup as you. But there are those out there who don't want any HDR/DV unless the content calls for it - including the Home Screen. I like/prefer the arial screensaver in HDR. FANTASTIC! :D
Cool. Just to make sure I am understanding the technology...because "we" are using 4k/60Hz(HDR) instead of 4k/60Hz(SDR), we are forcing the Apple TV to use HDR for the homescreen. Other then that, the dymanic range and frame rate set to on are doing what they need to do?

I will have to test it later but I am curious if I set it to 4k/60Hz(SDR), the screen saver should still show in HDR because it was shot in 4K/HDR (I think) so the dynamic range should match that, I would assume.

Long story short, by using 4k/60Hz(HDR), that is just affecting the home screen, correct?

·
Banned
481 Posts
I don't disagree, but you guys are missing the point. I'm not suggesting the delivery guy wait while I put the TV "through its paces" or any extensive initial setup/evaluation, but just checking to be sure there's no immediately apparent damage or obvious malfunction makes sense, and can save a lot of time and hassle. If it turns out you've got an obvious dud, better to find out before the delivery guy leaves than after.
I don't remember exactly if it is possible to plug in the power cord without taking the tv out of the box. Maybe you can just lift the top off and plug in the power cord while leaving the tv standing on the bottom of the packing box. You can at least see if it powers up and gets to the welcome screen. To do more will take more time than the delivery guy will tolerate.

Go find an unboxing video on YouTube. That will give you some idea.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Cool. Just to make sure I am understanding the technology...because "we" are using 4k/60Hz(HDR) instead of 4k/60Hz(SDR), we are forcing the Apple TV to use HDR for the homescreen. Other then that, the dymanic range and frame rate set to on are doing what they need to do?

I will have to test it later but I am curious if I set it to 4k/60Hz(SDR), the screen saver should still show in HDR because it was shot in 4K/HDR (I think) so the dynamic range should match that, I would assume.

Long story short, by using 4k/60Hz(HDR), that is just affecting the home screen, correct?
Let me know what you see. If your theory holds, you should see the HDR badge when it goes into the screensaver even if the home screen is 4K SDR. I'm really curious about this, but I won't be in front of my TV until later today. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Are you serious? I guess most of people have glass windows in their houses and only small amount of UV-A goes through glass and all of UV-B gets absorbed. In photo below you can see what direct sunlight does for OLED screen. Luckily a manual compensation cycle cleared it away.
Holy crap that is crazy. I haven't seen this mentioned about OLEDs. Damn another thing to worry about.

16881 - 16900 of 37556 Posts