AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 37551 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Turn off dejudder and trumotion in the dark room expert picture mode. Pause on that scene and have a play with your settings.
I assume this is for the second scene I mentioned -- daylight/building pan. Will do, the next evening I'm in watching mode.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is that through the LG's Netflix app? Is that ARCed back to your A/V? I was wondering how you can tell that Dolby Vision was working...if there is a place to "bring up that information".

I just got my B7 on Friday and am trying to learn a few things still.

Thanks!

Mike
If you tap settings and then tap on picture mode if the broadcast is in HDR or DV it will show left of the picture mode.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, I just found it. Thanks! The owner's manual is basically worthless.

Mike
Mine didn't even come with a printed one - I had to go online and use the web one, which I agree is pretty useless (gives no additional information than the menu items themselves do). I wish TVs came with novels the way AV receivers do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine doesn't have that setting. I am not sure how old the hdmi cable is. Could it be that the tv will not offer the option if the hdmi cable won't support it?
You'll likely need to have something (an AV receiver or soundbar) connected to the HDMI-ARC connection on the back of the TV first so it can detect it. Also try enabling the SIMPLINK thing, which is the HDMI-CEC. You should see the options greyed out even if they aren't selectable. It could be the cable but try the above first.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Guys, my receiver doesn't support HDR pass-through. So I have a question:

If I output 4K 60 Hz HDR signal + Atmos sound out from my PC's Titan-Xp video card HDMI 2.0 port, directly into the C7, can I then use the HDMI ARC port on the C7 to pass Atmos to my receiver?
In theory, if your AVR supports atmos over ARC - not many do . In practice, I'm not sure if LG has even activated this feature yet. I can't get ARC to work at all so far
HDMI-ARC currently only supports DD and DD+ streams, the latter of which can technically contain more than 5.1 channels but I've never seen it implemented. Both codecs are lossy, unlike TrueHD, DTS-HD and Atmos (update: Atmos comes in lossy flavour DD+, as well as lossless TrueHD). There isn't any solid reason why ARC wouldn't support the lossless codecs (particularly if the one connection doen'st have an upstream video content), but the HDMI org just didn't implement it that way when they did up the HDMI 1.4 spec.

The next version of HDMI, which is 2.1, will have something called "eARC" which is clearly intended to mean support for the object-based codecs like Atmos (which will include TrueHD and DTS-HD as well). HDMI's FAQ says that "some" impementations of HDMI 2.0x (like our TV) will be firmware upgradable to 2.1. So this is likely a "future support" potential, assuming HDMI 2.1 becomes official before the 2018 models are announced.

[Update -> I've added to post 1782 of this thread with more up to date / accurate info about the future prospect of TrueHD over ARC]

In short, no, the B7/C7 won't passthrough Atmos or other lossless codecs through ARC. (I've already tried using a PS4). I hope it comes, since my receiver also does not support HDR, but I'm expecting to upgrade it to a Yamaha Aventage soon.

My use case is slightly different, in that I have locally stored videos which have TrueHD or Atmos 7.1 audio tracks, and I'm trying to play them with the TV's DLNA client. They can't even play the audio track, and report an error that the video contains no audio. I was hoping this would work, to passthrough the audio to my receiver. I don't have an ARC capable receiver yet, but it doesn't look like it would matter, so I'll stick with what I have now and continue to use Optical out of the TV.

Sounds like HMDI-ARC doesn't currently support outputting this audio either, so I'm limited unless I want to go to a 4K receiver and run everything through that. I was hoping to go direct to the TV so that I could dial in my adjustments for each input, and send audio out with 1 cable, but it just doesn't look like that's going to be an option.
I agree it seems the LG DLNA client won't decode, process, or stream the lossless codecs, which is unfortunate for your scenario. However, you might have a different source in your setup that would recognize and pass it to your receiver. (A Blu-Ray player, game console, or streaming box, maybe). That would mean using the the secondary device for your client, though. In the worst case, you might try an inexpensive PC or android box.

I would be surprised if your receiver doen't support ARC though. If it has "tv" as a selectable input, it should. You might need to enable its HDMI-CEC feature, which every company seems to label differently. (Ex, LG calls it SIMPLINK). It is a moot point in your current setup though, unfortunately, since ARC won't currently do the lossless codecs anyway, and the client seems not to either.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I got my B7. Wow. Just, wow. Does anyone have a recommendation for HDR gaming starter settings? I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Any calibrators care to share any settings?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I got my B7. Wow. Just, wow. Does anyone have a recommendation for HDR gaming starter settings? I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything.
This might go without saying, but at the very least you'll want to turn off Energy Saving in HDR. I use it in SDR because SDR is very bright in my room but you don't want to dim the image for HDR.

Other things I recommend (but may not fit your preference)...

- Turn Sharpening Off (set to 0), and Super Resolution Off
- Set Color Temperature from C30 to ~W35 (depends on what warmth looks most natural to you). Image is far too cool on the default setting.
- Noise Reduction Features Off
- Dynamic Contrast (Off)

·
Registered
57 Posts
@Hresna the LG 2017 TVs support Atmos over Arc, but LG uses a proprietary way because it is not defined by the HDMI Org as you said. So only the LG SJ9 recognises it, with luck other receivers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Two Amazon episodes are the only TV-show/movie things I've watched so far on my new 65" C7, and last night one of them was HDR -- Bosch S2/E1.
If you SEARCH YouTube for HDR you'll find the HDR Page with a very large assortment of HDR material.

Reactions: aypues

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
HDMI-ARC currently only supports DD and DD+ streams, the latter of which can technically contain more than 5.1 channels but I've never seen it implemented. Both codecs are lossy, unlike TrueHD, DTS-HD and Atmos. There isn't any solid reason why ARC wouldn't support the lossless codecs (particularly if the one connection doen'st have an upstream video content), but the HDMI org just didn't implement it that way when they did up the HDMI 1.4 spec.

The next version of HDMI, which is 2.1, will have something called "eARC" which is clearly intended to mean support for the object-based codecs like Atmos (which will include TrueHD and DTS-HD as well). HDMI's FAQ says that "some" impementations of HDMI 2.0x (like our TV) will be firmware upgradable to 2.1. So this is likely a "future support" potential, assuming HDMI 2.1 becomes official before the 2018 models are announced.

In short, no, the B7/C7 won't passthrough Atmos or other lossless codecs through ARC. (I've already tried using a PS4). I hope it comes, since my receiver also does not support HDR, but I'm expecting to upgrade it to a Yamaha Aventage soon.

I agree it seems the LG DLNA client won't decode, process, or stream the lossless codecs, which is unfortunate for your scenario. However, you might have a different source in your setup that would recognize and pass it to your receiver. (A Blu-Ray player, game console, or streaming box, maybe). That would mean using the the secondary device for your client, though. In the worst case, you might try an inexpensive PC or android box.

I would be surprised if your receiver doen't support ARC though. If it has "tv" as a selectable input, it should. You might need to enable its HDMI-CEC feature, which every company seems to label differently. (Ex, LG calls it SIMPLINK). It is a moot point in your current setup though, unfortunately, since ARC won't currently do the lossless codecs anyway, and the client seems not to either.
This is interesting because the Sony A1E passes "lossy" Atmos over HDMI ARC. When I play the Dolby Atmos trailers on VuDu, it plays in Dolby Atmos on my Marantz 7009. I would think the C7 would do the same.

·
Registered
712 Posts
According to rtings video review, the C7 shows it's [email protected] directly to a Windows PC via EDID.

They say you will see it in the list of possible resolutions and in the video they show the drop box showing 119Hz in the list.

Can anyone confirm that you do not need to make a custom resolution on the LG C7 and it just shows in Windows like I just described?

·
Registered
718 Posts
So, with the C7, ARC will not return Atmos over to the receiver eh?

That begs the question for those of you that have used your PC's as media servers, can I output video via my Titan-Xp HDMI 2.0a port to the C7 and retain HDR processing, AND hookup one of my Displayports on the same video card to a DP to HDMI 2.0a converter directly to my receiver to pass Atmos?

Does the image and sound HDMI connections both need HDCP 2.2, or just the image connection?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Atmos via DD+ might be possible over ARC in general, but not the original Atmos format.
@Callsign_Vega

You could connect the PC to the receiver, not the TV.

You could try a second HDMI output to the receiver, that is how UHD Bluray Players can do it. HDMI 1.4 is enough for the Atmos sound. Displayport is not capable of sound anyway?!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Atmos over arc works on the c7. Quite a number of titles I have from vudu support atmos and it works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great! What is your AV receiver? Did you have any problems with ARC, like not working every time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Why do people say compensation cycle help with banding?

Aren't the compensation cycle strictly for getting rid of image retention?
Banding is the result of manufacturing defects.

My friend who has a 8 year old LCD with severe banding The banding on it now is as bad as it was 8 years ago. It hadn't lessened one bit over he years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,780
HDMI-ARC currently only supports DD and DD+ streams, the latter of which can technically contain more than 5.1 channels but I've never seen it implemented. Both codecs are lossy, unlike TrueHD, DTS-HD and Atmos. There isn't any solid reason why ARC wouldn't support the lossless codecs (particularly if the one connection doen'st have an upstream video content), but the HDMI org just didn't implement it that way when they did up the HDMI 1.4 spec.

Some confusion (possibly from me.) I thought DD+ was a form of atmos. Here's my source http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2378442-dolby-digital-plus-dd-atmos-over-hdmi-arc.html#/topics/2378442?page=1

1761 - 1780 of 37551 Posts