AVS Forum banner
5M views 40K replies 3K participants last post by  ToonMasterTim 
#1 ·
So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.

#37,541 ·
oled light is 100 contrast as 100 brightness is 50 sharpness is 20 color is 50 tint is 0 color temperature is 0 and I usually keep it on HDR effect picture mode
LCD with it's 5,000,000 nits sounds like it would be more up your alley.

Reactions: mrtickleuk
#37,543 ·
Noticed burn ins on mine (b7) now. Been using it for many years now as computer screen, it's on all day, watching youtube, using a browser a ton too.. it's only noticeable on a red screen, my bookmark field is dark spots + there's a rectangle in the middle (probably from youtube - when i don't watch it fullscreen).

What's interesting is that my large bar of icons (lower part of the screen) is not burned in, even though its there constantly. The bookmarks has a white backdrop, the icons backdrop is black. So it's a possibility that white background and something dark on it is far worse than the reverse. I changed to Dark Theme now in the browser.

It's no biggie and i've been kind of expecting it since it runs all day + OLED light at 90+.

#37,544 · (Edited)
Noticed burn ins on mine (b7) now. Been using it for many years now as computer screen, it's on all day, watching youtube, using a browser a ton too.. it's only noticeable on a red screen, my bookmark field is dark spots + there's a rectangle in the middle (probably from youtube - when i don't watch it fullscreen).

What's interesting is that my large bar of icons (lower part of the screen) is not burned in, even though its there constantly. The bookmarks has a white backdrop, the icons backdrop is black. So it's a possibility that white background and something dark on it is far worse than the reverse. I changed to Dark Theme now in the browser.

It's no biggie and i've been kind of expecting it since it runs all day + OLED light at 90+.
Do still contact LG. Either call them or get their attention on social media. (I called.) They have been generous with replacing panels with burn-ins. Not sure how they feel about using the panels as monitors but I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. No need to volunteer that information, though.

Freeze Time, you too.

#37,545 ·
Do still contact LG. Either call them or get their attention on social media. (I called.) They have been generous with replacing panels with burn-ins. Not sure how they feel about using the panels as monitors but I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. No need to volunteer that information, though.

Freeze Time, you too.
Also, Sometimes you may need to try more than once.

#37,547 ·
I wouldn't expect a new firmware with actual bug fixes or features at this point. Would be nice if the 7-series got the same GSR functionality as the newer models (2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)).

Personally, I've had my C7 for almost three years now, and I don't have any complaints after roughly 3500 hours. After a handful of manual comp cycles over the years, I think the panel looks better than ever.

#37,550 ·
I wouldn't expect a new firmware with actual bug fixes or features at this point. Would be nice if the 7-series got the same GSR functionality as the newer models (2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)).

Personally, I've had my C7 for almost three years now, and I don't have any complaints after roughly 3500 hours. After a handful of manual comp cycles over the years, I think the panel looks better than ever.
I swear my TV played MKV's flawlessly a couple firmwares ago now they stop randomly after 20 min or so and I just get a "This file format isn't recongnized", like halfway through the movie. Then the actual file on my external drive become "corrupt" to the player and it won't even start again.

This never happened when I first got the TV

#37,551 ·
I swear my TV played MKV's flawlessly a couple firmwares ago now they stop randomly after 20 min or so and I just get a "This file format isn't recongnized", like halfway through the movie. Then the actual file on my external drive become "corrupt" to the player and it won't even start again.

This never happened when I first got the TV
It’s why it’s good to have external devices to play local media ;)

#37,553 ·
Any suggestions? I would love to be able to play / stream 4K and BluRay ISOs but in 20 years it seems like there really is no good solutions for that.
You must not have been looking recently. If you want lossless bitstream playback NVidia Shield is the most popular option (there are also android boxes like Zidoo and Zapitti (naming might be off). If you don’t need lossless bitstreaming then AppleTV4K can handle UHDBR/BR iso and mkv via MrMc and Infuse apps (again no menus). I use my AppleTV4K regularly to play rips I have made of discs (UHDBR/BR) I own both Iso and mkv format

#37,554 ·
You must not have been looking recently. If you want lossless bitstream playback NVidia Shield is the most popular option (there are also android boxes like Zidoo and Zapitti (naming might be off). If you don’t need lossless bitstreaming then AppleTV4K can handle UHDBR/BR iso and mkv via MrMc and Infuse apps (again no menus). I use my AppleTV4K regularly to play rips I have made of discs (UHDBR/BR) I own both Iso and mkv format
Shield looks interesting but I don't see ISO with menus listed as supported. I refuse to use Apple products. Again seem like even when products "support" ISO its half-assed like no menu support. How has someone not come up with a solution yet? Why can every BluRay player support menus but standalone digital devices can't?

#37,555 ·
Shield looks interesting but I don't see ISO with menus listed as supported. I refuse to use Apple products. Again seem like even when products "support" ISO its half-assed like no menu support. How has someone not come up with a solution yet? Why can every BluRay player support menus but standalone digital devices can't?
If you want/need ISO with menus then you’ll need to get one of the “off brand” model players (Ziddo/Zappiti, etc). Menu support requires Java and is not that easy to implement, period. Official BR players all have paid licenses for access to all the needed tools, etc.

#37,556 ·
I am not aware of any that do. Back when I first started creating my own backups, it was for a very simple reason. My first born was obsessed with the movie Happy Feet. I wanted a copy we could play in our minivan that was stripped of menus and could just loop the movie over and over and over lol. Eh, I was a young parent desperate for sleep!

Created a monster in both him and me. 12 years later he’s obsessed with technology of all sorts and my obsession with this collection of MKV backups with only the movie, primary audio track and occasional subtitles is now at nearly 65 TB’s!

It’s been many years since I’ve watched a movie at home with a menu.

#37,557 ·
My LG C7 is acting up these days. When I switch it on, the standby LEDs flash a few times and go off as they should after a few seconds. However, the screen stays off and non-responsive. After a few minutes though it comes on and things start working. It's almost like it's taking time to warm up (like the old CRT days). It takes the most time after a long period of being switched off (say mornings). In the evenings, if its been switched only after a few hours, it takes about a minute. Any suggestions? The only change in the environment I can think of is that its been raining continuously for the past week or so, so the air is very humid. Should that make a difference?

#37,559 ·
Looked into the manual and interestingly there's a line about the delayed screen coming on. Says "This is because there is a noise-removal process to eliminate any possible noise that may appear during power-on. This does not mean the product is defective." I'm still not sure this explains why its happening for the last 2 days for minutes at a time.