AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 20070 Posts

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
That info relates to a Sony 900e owners thread how?:rolleyes:

Thought I was on the industry thread, but checked and indeed I'm on the owners thread. Nice insight but please continue elsewhere. If I want a lecture about Vizio I'll visit their threads - which is why I'm on a Sony thread.
I was responding to another poster that thinks vizio is going have a breakthrough CPU or something that probably won't happen ,the parent company Le Eco is effectively broke , we can probably infer imply Vizio is broke also which IMO was predictable given the business model and suspended NASDAQ IPO .

OTOH Sony TV subsidiary seems to be doing well and bringing out good range topping and premuim broad market product per thier publicly stated 2017 and long term business plans .

Sony X900E /X940E and 930E/X940E look real good for the broad market premium Sony TV product and should sell at scale .

55X900E is $1,699.99 - ‎In stock at various retailers today so that may be $1099.00 at 2017 Q4 pricing and the other models at least up to X930E/X940E should likewise shake down to plausible Q4 LCD prices and something lower before Q4 .
:laugh:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I was responding to another poster that thinks vizio is going have a breakthrough CPU something likely that ain't going to happen ,the parent company Le Eco is broke therefore Vizio is broke which was predictable .

OTOH Sony TV subsidiary seems to be doing well and bring out good product .

Sony X900E /X940E and 930E/X940 look real good for the broad market premium Sony TV product and should sell at scale .

55X900E is $1,699.99 - ‎In stock at various retailers today so that may be $1099.00 at 2017 Q4 pricing .
That poster was me and I didn't say Vizio was going to have a breakthrough CPU. Though it was unlikely I was hopeful you would spare us your usual spiel.

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
That poster was me and I didn't say Vizio was going to have a breakthrough CPU. Though it was unlikely I was hopeful you would spare us your usual spiel.
Frankly Vizio is not worth talking about anyway they are done for IMO Le Eco is broke ,Vizio was never all that beyond a discount model OD storefront anyway :p

Noting you brought up Vizio here Lets stick to Sony instead :laugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just noticed that the 900e has a semi gloss screen as opposed to the 930e which I believe has a full gloss screen. That's kinda dissapointing. I know the full gloss display gives the picture more "pop" and brighter look to it. Could be wrong. Wonder if you could tell a difference side by side. That would bug me if you can. 900e is still a great value set!
dont know if this is true, rthings says its matte,but all the videos i have seen for the x900e is identical to the x930e, when i see a x900e in the store i will confirm this.
i im avoiding matte finish like the plague.
wish sony would use some kind of motheye it would even make the x800e viable buy.

look at all 3 tv's you can see the different bezel on the x900e and x930e but same finish.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
around what time will the price for the 65" drop to around 1700-2000?
Originally Posted by AwesomeAHlee View Post
around what time will the price for the 65" drop to around 1700-2000?
2 grand by summer. $1700 by holidays.
Right that range is plausible ,

Amazon price Historys

2017 Sony 65X900E

Type Price When new
Current $2,498.00 Mar 16, 2017
* since Mar 16, 2017.

Last 1 price changes

Date Price
Mar 16, 2017 05:31 PM $2,498.00.

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Sony 65X930D
Type Price When new
Current $2,000.95 Mar 19, 2017
Highest * $4,999.99 Feb 17, 2016
Lowest * $1,798.00 Jan 15, 2017
Average + $2,528.90 -
* since Feb 17, 2016.
+ of the last 32 price changes

Last 5 price changes

Date Price
Mar 19, 2017 07:33 AM $2,000.95
Mar 18, 2017 09:20 AM $1,898.41

Mar 14, 2017 02:10 PM $2,000.95
Feb 05, 2017 05:12 AM $2,198.00
Jan 15, 2017 06:29 AM $1,798.00 this reflects Q4 2016 Nov 28 to 2017 Feb 8 2017 and then it went up briefly and back down

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

·
Registered
512 Posts
dont know if this is true, rthings says its matte,but all the videos i have seen for the x900e is identical to the x930e, when i see a x900e in the store i will confirm this.
i im avoiding matte finish like the plague.
wish sony would use some kind of motheye it would even make the x800e viable buy.

look at all 3 tv's you can see the different bezel on the x900e and x930e but same finish.
Not sure where Rtings says the 900E is matte, but in their review for the TV it says semi-gloss. Also confirmed this with my own eyes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was looking at the 65" & 75" 900e's at BB/Magnolia yesterday and specifically was interested in reflections since the TV will be mounted in a great room with a lot of windows. Positioning myself so I could see the reflection of the store lights on the screen, the 900e's had a significantly lower reflections than the LG OLED's which are glossy. In fact, I was surprised it was as big of a difference as it was but at the time I wasn't aware the 900e had a semi-matte screen. I hope the 75" will drop in price by black Friday since that will about the time I'll be looking to buy and the 75" looks like a perfect fit for what I am looking for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's definitely semi-gloss, not matte. I'm looking at mine, turned off, and the reflections are slightly diffused, not sharp like a full gloss display.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was looking at the 65" & 75" 900e's at BB/Magnolia yesterday and specifically was interested in reflections since the TV will be mounted in a great room with a lot of windows. Positioning myself so I could see the reflection of the store lights on the screen, the 900e's had a significantly lower reflections than the LG OLED's which are glossy. In fact, I was surprised it was as big of a difference as it was but at the time I wasn't aware the 900e had a semi-matte screen. I hope the 75" will drop in price by black Friday since that will about the time I'll be looking to buy and the 75" looks like a perfect fit for what I am looking for.
reflections from rtings

900e 1.2%
ks8000 0.5%
b6 0.4%

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/reflections-screen-finish-matte-and-glossy

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's definitely semi-gloss, not matte. I'm looking at mine, turned off, and the reflections are slightly diffused, not sharp like a full gloss display.
it's hard to compare from a picture, is it similar to this x930e?
im buying the glossiest 2017 sony tv,dont care if its a mirror, i want clarity. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
do you guys and gals put much thought into the Rtings site? I noticed in the review of thew 900E, it says at the end that if you can still find a KS8000, its the better recommended TV. Obviously, the price is almost $1000 cheaper so that is something enticing. I'm curious why I would want that model over this new Sony. It gets confusing every day!

·
Registered
610 Posts
do you guys and gals put much thought into the Rtings site? I noticed in the review of thew 900E, it says at the end that if you can still find a KS8000, its the better recommended TV. Obviously, the price is almost $1000 cheaper so that is something enticing. I'm curious why I would want that model over this new Sony. It gets confusing every day!
Yes. Go to rtings and compare them. Lots of reasons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
pick what is most important to you, do your research everywhere, my ks8000 is getting worse in terms of side edge bleeding, the sony's does much better with this,wait for mu8000 review see if's any better.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...000-ks8500-owners-thread-36.html#post44221410

ZD9- incredible, but high input lag 40ms (i game)
OLED- image retention, abl (i use tv as a monitor)
9800- who want a curve tv after 40 year's of crt?
x940d- 96 zones good input lag, but 75" too big for my cave.

pick your poison :laugh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cah, I totally get it. My question is this though. Have any of you read the Rtings site and went out and saved yourself $1,000 buying the 8000 instead of this TV? I mean, the 9000 is a similar price so i would think that would be the recommendation. I am having a very pathetic and petty problem here, which TV to buy. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
So I built a mount to hang the TV from the wall this weekend. It is hanging in front of the hole above the fireplace/mantle. Basically a steel tube which spans the opening and I am bolting an Echogear articulating/swivel mount to it so I can access the hole behind the TV.

Also, when I went to plug in the circa 2008 Nintendo Wii, there are no RCA jacks on the back of the TV for the composite video signal. There appears to be one composite video input jack, and I think it's a headphone jack, but I'm not sure. See pictures. Is that composite video input jack one of these (Amazon)?
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Black-3-5mm-Female-Adaptor/dp/B008SO5LDQ

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I guess don't understand why a gloss screen is perceived to be better for reflections? I design outdoor AV and surveillance equipment for a living, and I would not put a gloss screen in anything which did not have an anti-reflective coating. At the price points of these TVs, I don't think any of them have AR coatings. Matte ("semi-gloss" is just matte finish with different diffusion properties) and screen curvature are the low cost methods at diffusing light sources/points. If it were a gloss finish, the overall reflection would be physically smaller but would be more intense in spots. The matte finish attenuates the reflections on average, and although the reflection ends up being larger than it would with gloss, it is less obvious on average because back lighting can more easily overcome the lower intensity reflection.

I have not had an issue with out 900e so far. After hanging it on the wall I can see a reflection of our kitchen fluorescent light when the TV is turned off, but I can't see any reflection in the image when turned on.

Either way, I guess it doesn't make a difference to me since I'm happy with the TV. Worrying about this is probably gaining you diminishing returns though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Where to put the power brick when mounting the TV?

Someone asked that a couple pages ago.

When I was hanging the TV this weekend, I realized that there is a shelf designed into the TV rear housing. If you look at the very first post, one of the pictures shows a top view of the TV, and you can see that shelf in the image. The shelf, at least on the 65" TV, is about one inch deep. You should have enough room on that shelf to flush mount the TV to the wall, and then slide the power brick between the TV and the wall, above that shelf. You will need to cable tie the brick up there so it doesn't slide out, but I believe it will fit. From looking at it, I'd almost say the Sony engineers designed it that way so you can hide the brick. Maybe all TVs have this, I don't really know, the last TV I bought was in 2007.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rtings is good for the info but not for my final buying decision anymore. I bought a 49" KS8000 around christmass based on their rating as good for viewing sports. Ended up being a bad decision as the motion and judder on that set was horrendous! The picture was very good on certain content. I returned the set and now have a X900E coming this wednesday. The 49" models are close in price with the Sony slightly higher.

221 - 240 of 20070 Posts