AVS Forum banner

9941 - 9960 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
CNET and HDR Ports

Yes. Not a fan of these settings. I plugged in the C-net settings and haven't touched it since.
Something easily overlooked about the CNET settings (that I haven't confirmed) is that all 4 HDMI ports can do HDR. Specifically it says:

Like other TVs you'll want to engage the HDMI Enhanced format option when you connect HDR sources like 4K Blu-ray players -- and unlike LG, the Sony doesn't automatically detect and change that setting for you. The menu says it affects inputs 2 and 3, but according to Sony all four of the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0B, which supports 4K HDR. Only inputs 2 and 3 support 18GBps speeds, however, so "Connecting a 4K/UHD Blu-ray player to these ports will ensure their 4K HDR 60P content will be optimized," Sony's representative told us.

If anyone can confirm this it would be a huge win in trying to figure out connecting equipment such as an AVRs, soundbars, UHD players, game consoles, etc.
Maybe everyone already knew this...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ummm how? the P series has 128 zones in it at 65+ inches. The E and M series have less FALD. they offer an array of FALD televisions. I don't understand how Sony or Samsung cannot do the same.

In the past years, Vizio, and when Samsung made FALD, have sometimes exceeded that of Sony’s for same size. In my memory the 2016/2017 P Series’ is the first time that a Vizio or a Samsung at similar tier or pricing has gotten a better rating because of the increased number. It’s also implementation including diffuser and control. Vizio drops down the light to make those zones more effective. It’s a trick to reduce blooming and increase contrast but it also can reduce highlights and crush near blacks. I would rather Sony put more zones in this TV, however, don’t get me wrong, but implement it in a more Sony way. If you can stand the motion blur, maybe you can pick up a 940E or 65” Z9D “cheap”. Samsung or Vizio can’t touch those TVs in contrast, otherwise, never have.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So Sony contacted me today after reviewing pictures on my set and said it is operating withing design parameter. Yea ok Sony. Back to Bestbuy.

Also are these bright zones acceptable on a dark screen (pic with the ring)?

I looked closely at an HX950 (top of line 2012 - MSRP of 5.9K in today’s dollars). It too frames but it’s about a quarter inch wide on a 65. My 65 X900E looks very similar to what you show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
So Sony contacted me today after reviewing pictures on my set and said it is operating withing design parameter. Yea ok Sony. Back to Bestbuy.

I don't have them, but your picture looks like hell compared to mine. There's no contrast at all, the blacks look blue/gray, and the brights are over satiurating the picture. If that's the best adjustment you can do, then it's totally defective. I would never tolerate that picture.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have them, but your picture looks like hell compared to mine. There's no contrast at all, the blacks look blue/gray, and the brights are over satiurating the picture. If that's the best adjustment you can do, then it's totally defective. I would never tolerate that picture.
The actual picture looks worlds better than these iPhone pics. I used the coach csan settings.

·
Registered
91 Posts

my set is similar to yours. are you going to exchange? if so please update us how the new one looks

·
Registered
47 Posts
my set is similar to yours. are you going to exchange? if so please update us how the new one looks
I'm taking it back to Best Buy today. For reference the 55" had worse banding but non of the bright flares on the black screens. Looks like I'm playing panel roulette.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello all.
I've purchased a Sony X900E this past week. I purchased the 65" model from BB for $1500 new with a warranty, payed with the money from selling my LG OLED C6. I told a few of the Magnolia sales guys this while I was at BB, and they pretty much thought I was nuts...until I cued up a few flat color test patterns on their OLED's on display, using the youtube app - every one of the OLED's showed various discolorations / aged spots / IR / burn in. Kudos to LG's flagship OLED on display though; that one only had a massive split down the middle (one side brighter than the other) - but other than that, it was smooth without any IR. :rolleyes:

Point being, I watched enough network television with my kid to get a permanent "Nick" logo visible on my 2016 C6, so I decided I wanted to go back to the brand I always prefered to begin with, which is Sony. Don't even care that I'm sacrificing a few features and perks. To me, it's better knowing I won't have burn in issues.

But...Could someone confirm with me something...I just stubled upon some random posts (cant remember where) that said the X900E actually CAN suffer from burn in. How could this be possible? Is this BS / rare instance? Any info regarding this sort of thing would help. From what I know, I always presumed LED backlit TV's never had issues with IR, or it was extremely rare.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Because the movie/source is not a 16:9. Most movies are released 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 which gives you black bars top and bottom.
-yyyeah I was wondering the same thing. Almost a deal breaker for me. Are there any sony models that allow adjusting the picture to enlarge to remove the black bars on UHD blurays and streaming content? - it's a nice way to make the tv feel bigger, even if it cuts off the sides a bit - still looks much better to me because I don't have perfect vision so the bigger the better. OTherwise was considering bringing it back for the 75" lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm taking it back to Best Buy today. For reference the 55" had worse banding but non of the bright flares on the black screens. Looks like I'm playing panel roulette.

Yes, please let us know. There is a gag order in my house on complaining about the TV. I am excited for CES but about 1.5K poorer going in. ;).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Since alot of people are having issues with the light issues around the edges of the tvs here are my pics as examples if anyone wants to compare. Keep in mind that the pics that were taken via my camera phone exaggerate the issues slightly. I am on the fence if I should play the panel lottery for fear of getting a worse one and going through additional hassle. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
@jimmyhigh
Rtings mentioned this panel has some IR which is unusual for an LCD but also said it is not permanent so essentially a non-issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@jimmyhigh
Rtings mentioned this panel has some IR which is unusual for an LCD but also said it is not permanent so essentially a non-issue.

Nothing close like the last LG panel they tested. 15 minutes to get sufficiently rid of a logo that’s been on for 10? Nothing like that here. The scale between a X900E and some OLEDs for IR is like a cranked boombox (showing some age) and a Tool concert (and again). No need for screen shift or an hour long compensation cycle here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So 1st world problem. I have a Chromecast ultra. The HDR movies on Vudu look terrible and washed out. My backup to this is having them linked up with movies anywhere and most of the movies show up on Google play movies. However the HDR on Google play movies only works over the ultra and they look really dull and not bright. Are there any other solutions? Wait for the VUDU update on the TV?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
There's a major bug with Vudu CCU and HDR10 TVs. It's been like this for months and neither Google or Vudu have addressed it.

And, yes, I have also observed the Google Play movies having washed out colors. Compared directly to the same movie on Vudu on Nvidia Shield (same TV settings) and the difference was huge.

Basically, because of these two things, the CCU is useless for movie watching on this TV.

Supposedly we'll get a proper 4K Vudu app for our TV with the next major firmware update. That's your best bet, unless you want to buy a Roku Ultra or Nvidia Shield.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's a major bug with Vudu CCU and HDR10 TVs. It's been like this for months and neither Google or Vudu have addressed it.

And, yes, I have also observed the Google Play movies having washed out colors. Compared directly to the same movie on Vudu on Nvidia Shield (same TV settings) and the difference was huge.

Basically, because of these two things, the CCU is useless for movie watching on this TV.

Supposedly we'll get a proper 4K Vudu app for our TV with the next major firmware update. That's your best bet, unless you want to buy a Roku Ultra or Nvidia Shield.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was afraid of. I was not a fan of the Roku. And don't feel like dishing out money for another device. So I'll just have to wait and hope.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got it exchanged for a new one. Their system started to process it as a work order for the manufacture warranty but once a manager got involved and ran it within the Best Buy return period it went smooth. I'll update when I get it set up.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was afraid of. I was not a fan of the Roku. And don't feel like dishing out money for another device. So I'll just have to wait and hope.

Sorry but I call nonsense regarding the Chromecast Ultra. Ive yet to run into any issues with this device attached to my TV.

HDR from either YouTube or Google Play Movies has been flawless.

"Passengers" played on Chromecast Ultra in HDR.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9941 - 9960 of 19683 Posts