Registered
81 Posts

·
Banned
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
My local Best Buy doesn't have either of them on display yet. I hope the reviews come out soon, I'm also anxiously awaiting and torn between the 930 and 900. It would really bother me if I settled for the 900 and finding out there would be a noticeable difference in PQ.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was at a local Sony dealer yesterday. They had the 930e and the 900e 65" on display. Wall mounted on top of each other.
They both looked amazing to my untrained eye. The demo was Apple TV playing 1080p Star Wars TFA. All I know is they both looked great, but my attention kept being drawn to the 930e.

Next week, they are supposed to have both the 75" 940e and 900e set up on display.
(Size I'm holding out for)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
BB in my area has the 900E on display. The bezel sure is pretty. The looping 4K demo looked real good.

I plan to visit Robert over at Value Electronics since he has 1 mounted in his store. Get a nice viewing and see this thing calibrated and running a variety of content.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
I was at a local Sony dealer yesterday. They had the 930e and the 900e 65" on display. Wall mounted on top of each other.
They both looked amazing to my untrained eye.
I'm maybe contemplating a 65" Sony OLED or 9ZD or even possibly an 65" X930E for my usual semi annual or 3 yr. primary display upgrade in this room from the X850C in here now .

Fortunately I don't need anyones approval or have to worry about the cash up front for any of these or a couple of them in my retired golden years or more specifically my dotage and aging health we all have at that time .
:laugh:

OTOH I hope the X900E is closer to the X930Ethan *maybe it is on paper* in some respects .

X900E it sounds like a very good choice for a lot of folks and I will of course test drive one in the store anyway and see if the family millennial generation here wants a 65 X900E out front to replace the 1080p 64f8500 Samsung Plasma in my sig at X900E Q4 pricing .

The PN64f8500 Samsung plasma can be moved to another room to significantly upgrade a 2013 42" 1080p LG LED/LCD they watch when they arent watching the Samsung 64f850 Plasma that so far they like where it is and tell me they don't need a WCG 4K HDR TV [/B]at the same time they tell me they like mine.

The Samsung PDP does have rich colors and color volume not visible on a conventional 4K SDR/1080p HDTV LCD with Blue LED ,Yellow phosphor treated LED lamps .

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
They both looked amazing to my untrained eye. The demo was Apple TV playing 1080p Star Wars TFA. All I know is they both looked great, but my attention kept being drawn to the 930e

Probably because the 930e is brighter. Curious if there's a big advantage if you set both tvs to the same brightness.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Probably because the 930e is brighter. Curious if there's a big advantage if you set both tvs to the same brightness.
Here's the comment Robert from Value Electronics left during the TechRadar Review...

We have the X900E and it's butt next to the X930E and Z9D on our TV Shootout wall. The local dimming performance is what you would expect from a good back-lit UHD TV, with very good color fidelity and contrast. Great new 2017 TV at an excellent value.
Knowing Robert, all 3 displays are fully calibrated. That's why I heading over to his store sometime soon. (getting slammed by a noreaster tonight into tomorrow)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Spoke with Robert today. The Sony's on the wall are in OTB Settings. Not a big deal as I can ask him to change some settings for critical viewing.

He said he really likes the 900E. Unbelievable value for the price. He did acknowledge no DV is a miss, but for the price, you'll be getting an excellent display.

Hoping to make my way to home within the next week or so

·
Registered
23 Posts
So my 930d crapped out on me last Saturday. No power. Nada.

Took 10 days to get a repairman to come fix it. Swapped power boards. TV powers on with sound, but no picture. Inverter (or something like that) is fried.

He tells me I'm in luck and that I'm going to be getting a new TV. I was ****ing pissed. Not only had I gotten my 65x930d professionally mounted, but with the help from this forum I spent 3 days dialing in my calibrations to the point where I was MORE than happy with my setup. Now everything is in shambles.

Sony rep calls me and says (what a surprise), "930d is not available. We can offer you the 900e".

It took me over a month to research and conclude that I wanted the 930d. And now I had a span of 30sec to decide if I would accept a 900e as a replacement? Can you tell I am stressed out? lol.

Regardless, looks like I have a 900e coming UNLESS any of you think I should call Sony back and ask for an upgrade to the 930e? I will (not) look forward to comparing this to my beautiful 930d, but I'll contribute in any way that helps the forum. I'm just pretty bummed right now and looking at another 7-10 days without a TV in my family room.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
So my 930d crapped out on me last Saturday. No power. Nada.

Took 10 days to get a repairman to come fix it. Swapped power boards. TV powers on with sound, but no picture. Inverter (or something like that) is fried.

He tells me I'm in luck and that I'm going to be getting a new TV. I was ****ing pissed. Not only had I gotten my 65x930d professionally mounted, but with the help from this forum I spent 3 days dialing in my calibrations to the point where I was MORE than happy with my setup. Now everything is in shambles.

Sony rep calls me and says (what a surprise), "930d is not available. We can offer you the 900e".

It took me over a month to research and conclude that I wanted the 930d. And now I had a span of 30sec to decide if I would accept a 900e as a replacement? Can you tell I am stressed out? lol.

Regardless, looks like I have a 900e coming UNLESS any of you think I should call Sony back and ask for an upgrade to the 930e? I will (not) look forward to comparing this to my beautiful 930d, but I'll contribute in any way that helps the forum. I'm just pretty bummed right now and looking at another 7-10 days without a TV in my family room.
Sorry your 930D crapped out on you. The 900E is definitely and upgrade over the 930D when it comes to "what's under the hood"

Upgraded X1 Processor. Better Bit-Mapping which eliminate any banding in the picture. Probably will have Android 6.0 also. Lastly this set is a Full Array Local-Dimming Set.

As for PQ, we can't say yet because there are not too many owners.

Personally, there's nothing wrong advocating for a 930E. Just know if they say no, your still getting a helluva a display from what we've heard from reviewers so far.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sorry your 930D crapped out on you. The 900E is definitely and upgrade over the 930D when it comes to "what's under the hood"

Upgraded X1 Processor. Better Bit-Mapping which eliminate any banding in the picture. Probably will have Android 6.0 also. Lastly this set is a Full Array Local-Dimming Set.

As for PQ, we can't say yet because there are not too many owners.

Personally, there's nothing wrong advocating for a 930E. Just know if they say no, your still getting a helluva a display from what we've heard from reviewers so far.

I think thats total BS on Sonys behalf. The 900e is not and equivalent swap. The direct replacement is the 930e. Just because its newer and it may be a little bit better than the 930d is irrelevant. The set is a year newer and if no improvements were made they would have zero sales. The bottom line is that this time last year your 930d was king and cost more than the 930e and this time next year the 930e will be were the 930d is today. Not the 900 series, you should definitely get a refund if they can't swap it or the DIRECT REPLACEMENT. Bottom line is you bought the 930d not the 850d when you made your purchase. So if you were back at zero you would most likely be shopping the 930e.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think thats total BS on Sonys behalf. The 900e is not and equivalent swap. The direct replacement is the 930e. Just because its newer and it may be a little bit better than the 930d is irrelevant. The set is a year newer and if no improvements were made they would have zero sales. The bottom line is that this time last year your 930d was king and cost more than the 930e and this time next year the 930e will be were the 930d is today. Not the 900 series, you should definitely get a refund if they can't swap it or the DIRECT REPLACEMENT. Bottom line is you bought the 930d not the 850d when you made your purchase. So if you were back at zero you would most likely be shopping the 930e.
I agree. If your 930d is still under warranty, push for a 930e.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree. If your 930d is still under warranty, push for a 930e.
He really shouldn't have to push. If they can't fix it or exchange it he gets the new model year (Same TV). The bottom line is the 900 although new is a step down from the 930. Forget the e's, d's and c's. They just indicate the model year, not the model.

·
Registered
286 Posts
He really shouldn't have to push. If they can't fix it or exchange it he gets the new model year (Same TV). The bottom line is the 900 although new is a step down from the 930. Forget the e's, d's and c's. They just indicate the model year, not the model.
Strange that Sony offered him a 900e as a replacement. Although he shouldn't have to push for a 930e, looks like he'll have to. OP should definitely call Sony CS before they ship the 900e.

But you're absolutely correct that the 930e is the replacement Sony should be sending.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Unfortunately, when it comes to stuff like this, that's how manufacturer's play, especially when they claim the model in question is not available. I totally agree he should be requesting the 930E. I was just letting him know, that from everything we've seen and read so far the 900E is really good TV

·
Registered
553 Posts
Unfortunately, when it comes to stuff like this, that's how manufacturer's play, especially when they claim the model in question is not available. I totally agree he should be requesting the 930E. I was just letting him know, that from everything we've seen and read so far the 900E is really good TV
No doubt, there all great TV's.:)

81 - 100 of 20069 Posts