AVS Forum banner

11781 - 11800 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ya I fooled around with black level and gamma, didn't help though. Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome tv and the best pq for the money, I just had some bad luck and got a panel that has a funky defect. The unfortunate part is that Sony is saying it's normal. Funny thing is, when I thought about it after, she kept asking me what month I bought it in and when I said Nov, that's when she made reference to her notes about light bleed being normal...just saying lol?
While it is actually normal, some owners do not have this ring around their displays. I have it but with adjustments to my display, I eliminated it.

Here's the thing, your have pictures showing the ring with brightness settings at max and min, that's the weird part. May I ask what content you are viewing? It's as if nothing is being adjusted at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ya I fooled around with black level and gamma, didn't help though. Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome tv and the best pq for the money, I just had some bad luck and got a panel that has a funky defect. The unfortunate part is that Sony is saying it's normal. Funny thing is, when I thought about it after, she kept asking me what month I bought it in and when I said Nov, that's when she made reference to her notes about light bleed being normal...just saying lol?
While it is actually normal, some owners do not have this ring around their displays. I have it but with adjustments to my display, I eliminated it.

Here's the thing, your have pictures showing the ring with brightness settings at max and min, that's the weird part. May I ask what content you are viewing? It's as if nothing is being adjusted at all.
Yup, Peaky Blinders and 4K Birchwood Fire on Netflix through internal app as well as the Netflix app on my kids Xbox One X. It's the same results under the same settings.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yup, Peaky Blinders and 4K Birchwood Fire on Netflix through internal app as well as the Netflix app on my kids Xbox One X. It's the same results under the same settings.
Using the internal app, the Fireplace video, I did not see any light bleed, and my brightness was set to 20, contrast was 85, gamma, -1, dymanic local dimming high, xtended dynamic range set to high.

If you have clouding with brightness at 7, then something needs to be done by Sony.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Using the internal app, the Fireplace video, I did not see any light bleed, and my brightness was set to 20, contrast was 85, gamma, -1, dymanic local dimming high, xtended dynamic range set to high.

If you have clouding with brightness at 7, then something needs to be done by Sony.
Well here's a picture I just took of the same image using your settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
My only saving grace was the use of an Nvidia Shield, and for the past 2 and a half years witnessed Android TV at its peak performance. If the Shield wasn't present, I probably would have shipped my TV back. There's simply no excuse for the Android TV experience on these displays to be this poor, other than to cut costs here and there. So far, I've researched information regarding the Sony and Oppo usage of Mediatek SOCs.

The Oppo 203 uses the Mediatek 8591, while the Sonys use the 5891. Oppo and Mediatek worked in conjunction to develop the chip for the 203 and 205, and my 203 is simply awesome. The Nvidia Shield uses a Tegra X2 and is over 2 years old. I can't throw any old video file at my 900e like I can with my Shield and Oppo, and expect it to play. So the Shield, as always the case, is my primary viewing device.

Video-wise, the 900e is spectacular. Playing videos through the Shield and Oppo 203, whether it be 480p, 1080p, or 4k, I've been overly impressed.

While this link belows points the finger mostly towards Android TV, you will see how Sony's implementation gets some of the blame as well. Considering I'm using a Shield, I simply do not have these performance issues with this device, running the Same OS. The only real limitation is no HDR for Youtube and Google Play movies.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/2/d/1EPzlq_ipIPMCDoMqMgDl0IuKmTsMoZHeKKwE_zxbFUk/pub
I think some people here are missing the point in my earlier post about the Sony X900E implementation of Android TV. What I'm complaining about being "poor" is the sub-par SOC chips and other hardware that run the TV. I have no complaints about the speed and responsiveness of the Android OS on the Sony. But when you read the Reddit link a few posts back, it's a damning condemnation of what Sony has buitl into this set, or rather left out. 100/Mbps wired network jack. Really? Maximum 160Mbps on WiFi, and the 5Ghz connection is NOT AC, so it must be N. And Draft-N at that. The inability of any of the apps that are built in to truly display 4K pictures even though the panel is 4K. Read the Reddit post. It'll spin your head around. I love the TV for it's PQ, but I'm planning on buying a Roku 4K device, since it's quite obvious to me that the innards of the Sony 900E series cannot display true 4K due to the hardware Sony has put inside.

·
Registered
552 Posts
]

I think some people here are missing the point in my earlier post about the Sony X900E implementation of Android TV. What I'm complaining about being "poor" is the sub-par SOC chips and other hardware that run the TV. I have no complaints about the speed and responsiveness of the Android OS on the Sony. But when you read the Reddit link a few posts back, it's a damning condemnation of what Sony has buitl into this set, or rather left out. 100/Mbps wired network jack. Really? Maximum 160Mbps on WiFi, and the 5Ghz connection is NOT AC, so it must be N. And Draft-N at that. The inability of any of the apps that are built in to truly display 4K pictures even though the panel is 4K. Read the Reddit post. It'll spin your head around. I love the TV for it's PQ, but I'm planning on buying a Roku 4K device, since it's quite obvious to me that the innards of the Sony 900E series cannot display true 4K due to the hardware Sony has put inside.
No. Actually the 900e can do 4K and HDR really well. Your argument doesn't exactly make sense because even if you stick a roku or whatever 4K stick to the TV, the guts of the tv still have to process it. Netflix shows up in 4K HDR. Amazon shows up in 4K HDR. But unfortunately that's it for some reason that only Sony can answer. The TV is fully capable of doing other apps in 4K HDR like Google play or Vudu. But for some reason Sony refuses to update them to allow ultra high definition HDR....which is a shame because Vudu 4K movies are the same price wise as movies on Apple 4K. So in that sense, getting an external stick is definitely in the right ballpark to get the roku/Apple 4k tv/Chromecast ultra for other apps to be in 4K, but it's not due to the TV's inability to do so.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Stopped at a local BB to see the 900e and 940e. The PQ was better on the 940e. Is this something they setup just to make the more $ set look better. The 940e had more pop. Looking at getting a 75”
From what I've read here the 940E has inferior motion handling to the 900E. I have had no motion concerns whatsoever, but I believe a few people have returned the 940E because of issues.

And God forbid I deviate into "price talk", but there's also a significant price difference -- if that's not an issue for you, and the motion issues don't bother you, then others have said they prefer it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Stopped at a local BB to see the 900e and 940e. The PQ was better on the 940e. Is this something they setup just to make the more $ set look better. The 940e had more pop. Looking at getting a 75?
From what I've read here the 940E has inferior motion handling to the 900E. I have had no motion concerns whatsoever, but I believe a few people have returned the 940E because of issues.

And God forbid I deviate into "price talk", but there's also a significant price difference -- if that's not an issue for you, and the motion issues don't bother you, then others have said they prefer it.
Just Saying. You rarely see the 900e in the open Box/return pile at Best Buy.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Thanks. Motion is very important since I watch a lot of hockey, football and basketball. It’s the only issue with my 2 generations old LG Oled. It don’t handle motion well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, I greet you from Argentina :)

I have the 55 "x900e and it is without a doubt the best LED TV that I had in my life, it was between this and the B7P, but it does not make sense to pay fortune for the latter with the (serious) defects that the technology still has, BI / RI / ABL / HDR with crushing blacks / Gray Bands.
That said I wanted to do a general query, have you tried games like uncharted with the motionflow activated and out of game mode? While I notice that the inputlag increases, I also believe that the experience in the movement is great! and I practically do not feel that it becomes INJUGABLE set in this mode.

On the other hand, did anyone try the fifa 18 in game mode? I feel a minimum of Motionblur, this can be partly due to the HDMI cable of poor quality?
However, I do not perceive this when I watch football or another sport ....

Sorry for my English, I do what I can

Thank you !

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks. Motion is very important since I watch a lot of hockey, football and basketball. It’s the only issue with my 2 generations old LG Oled. It don’t handle motion well.

My 900e has very little to no DSE (I can’t see it) and hockey looks great. Compared to my Visio where it’s readily apparent. Very happy with the 900e all around. Motion is also very good to my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ricoflashback

·
Registered
51 Posts

Well here's a picture I just took of the same image using your settings.
Yup, this is the same result I get also. It's the oct-Nov tv's. I find it hard to believe that Sony says this is normal, I wonder if there is anything else we can do about this. I get the feeling Sony is aware and have briefed their reps on what to say to this issue.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just got my 900e, beautiful but im scared to update it. IS IT SAFE TO UPDATE?.....had it 8 hours it already cut off and front led blinked red 4 times..pff
Seem like that happened to me in the first few days I had it. That was so long ago, and maybe 6 updates ago. In that first month I believe I did two factory resets. Knock on wood, the TV has gotten better with each update. Mainly it's gotten more stable. The only persistent problem I continue to have is failure to power on, requiring me to reset the PMU. However, I've had that since day one, and has come and gone, not necessarily related to updates.

Sony appears to have rolled out a half-baked TV OS, and slowly but surely they are improving it. I'm not sure what your concern is with updating it, but it can only get better. It's hard to imagine an update that would break it, and even if it did, Sony would fix it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, I recently watched the Battlestar Galactica Collection on Blu-ray. I have the Sony X800, which is connected by HDMI to HDMI 2 on my 900E. I have Optical Out going to a fairly old Onkyo AVR. But the Onkyo consistently receives, displays, and plays the DTS Audio that's on these discs.

Since you're playing from a different source, you may be encountering different issues. But just wanted to let you know that at least with this hardware, DTS is supported and put out by Optical Audio.

I also get Dolby 5.1 on Amazon and Netflix. I'm almost certain, but not 100%, that with perhaps rare exception, the Google Play App and YouTube App, do not support 5.1 (sometimes in conflict with what it says on screen). (This is using the TV's apps, not the ones on the Sony Blu-ray player. I do use the X800 to watch some YouTube HDR demos, which this player does support, while the TV's YouTube App does not.)
Ok thanks. I was referring specifically to the built in apps. I still can't believe they don't even support 5.1 on Google play and other apps. I will have to try Amazon when renting a 4K movie. Haven't yet because I didn't want to pay for it and not get 5.1. I do play blu-rays and other video but just run the optical straight to the avr, however my player and 2 media players do not support 4K. I love this set but the OS is pretty bad for a premium product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys got a question for y'all!

I have a Vizio sound bar hooked up to the TV using the aux cable. But sometimes the volume fluctuates.. I already turned on truvolume but it still does it.

So I hooked it up using the optical cable. It won't fluctuate anymore but now I can't control the volume with the Sony remote which is a pain.

So I decided to try the bluetooth and it works great but sometimes I turn the TV on and it won't connect to the sound bar. It's rare but still does it which is dumb.

I wish the aux cable didn't fluctuate anyone else tried this?

11781 - 11800 of 19683 Posts