AVS Forum banner

12161 - 12180 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks! Although I am not an Apple guy (I like to build my own desktops), I do own an Apple phone, so Android interface is a little foreign to me. I find it a little ironic that Android (which is usually fairly liberal in regards to user modifications) is similar to Apple on this TV. A very minor annoyance for an otherwise excellent TV.

It wouldn't surprise me. I am a long time PlayStation owner so I know how that goes. With that said there is very little bloat on this TV compared to its competitors.
More than enough bloat for me and I believe that is not the fault of ATV but of the Sony execs. I have read some things are hackable via the usual Android methods i.e. ADB but I am not well educated in Android and am hesitant to monkey around on a new $1k TV.

BTW nice Avatar! Harmonogram no?

Oh 1 more thing check out
for some relief!

·
Registered
487 Posts

First Super Bowl with the 900E, looking forward to my 65" being put through its paces. The kids did the decorations, nice touch.

Very fortunate that it's being broadcast on NBC and 1080i which the TV handles quite well, FOX in 720p not so much.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I always make sure to never allow a TV box (cable, DirecTV, etc) to do any signal conversion and let the TV do that itself (did the same with my Panny).
The DTV's guys don't do that by default though and I wonder why.
You would think they would know best since they install boxes for a living. :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
A quick question about Motionflow and Cinemotion after now owning a handful of 4K Ultra HD Blu Rays. Is True Cinema 24 hz? It seems to not add any soap opera effect and basically looks like “off”. I read somewhere the 900E can do 24 hz. I have found Motionflow useful on other sources like Netflix and Amazon Prime apps but am trying to set it up for the blu ray input.

Cinemotion, I don’t get why there are several different levels low-high. How does it work in tandem with Motionflow?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
More than enough bloat for me and I believe that is not the fault of ATV but of the Sony execs. I have read some things are hackable via the usual Android methods i.e. ADB but I am not well educated in Android and am hesitant to monkey around on a new $1k TV.

BTW nice Avatar! Harmonogram no?

Oh 1 more thing check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ZnPq06jjA
for some relief!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ZnPq06jjA
When I tried disabling a lot of the boat at the next reboot it was all back. Is there a way to permanently disable this crap. Personally I put a Roku Ultra on the wife's X900E and she used that and DirecTV receiver, the internal apps are too sluggish and the internal wifi sucks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
All I have to say is Altered Carbon in HDR on NETFLIX is stunning. Just checkout the beggining of episode 1. The cigarette he lights in the dark room actually looks like real fire and the window sunrise is realistically blinding. Simply amazed with this set.
Yes. If you have Netflix, Altered Carbon is a do not miss series. I just got thru binging on 4 episodes.

Absolutely incredible Sci-Fi with exceptional writing and acting.

Best HDR I?ve seen, period, on my Sony 900E outside of a few, short 4K/HDR videos on YouTube. Treat yourself to some incredible eye candy and an outstanding new series. Eleven out of ten stars. That good.
Also just binged the entire season of Altered Carbon. Definitely Neflix's best show of HDR displayed awesomeness in quite some time. Really picks up steam from episode 5 on.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, put me down as another user with the flashing red light. I did the latest update about a week ago, haven't had any issues since. Today I was in the settings changing the picture mode, as I was trying to get the tuner setup to watch the game. All of a sudden the set turned off and got the blinking red light. I let it sit for a good 15 minutes to see if it did anything, it didn't. So I pulled the plug let it sit and plugged it back in. Nothing. Hit the power button on the remote, nothing. Finally after about 7 presses of the power button, it came back. Settings and everything seems to be where I left them.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought a 75” 900E which will be delivered March 3rd (work away from home for long periods). Currently have a Denon receiver which I am thinking about upgrading for the 4K content. I will run Apple TV, Roku, DVD/BR, and Directv through it for all content. After reading reviews I will not be using the TV’s apps or WiFi.

Was wondering if someone could recommend a good 7.2 receiver that plays well with this tv. Would like to stick with Denon or Yamaha if possible as I have had good luck with them. Budget is between $500 - $800.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought this tv and it will be delivered next week. I plan on mounting it on the wall with a slim mount. I am putting a surge protected outlet behind the tv and was wondering where to put the ac power adapter? Do I need to make another box in the wall to hold the adapter?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the Sony STR-DN1080 (which is 7.1.2) not long after getting the 65x900e.

Very happy with it coming from a Denon AVR-1911.

Not a huge audiophile, but I like it better than the Denon.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is quite odd. I've never experienced a phenomenon like this in any other TV. It's NOT actually light bleed, but a weird difference in brightness.

Because you can't see it on very very dark scenes. If the edge of the TV is black or extremely close to it, you don't see it at all.

Only on on *dim* scenes. And it is by far most prevalent on scenes that features grays or dark to mid-dark blues or greens.

It truly does depend on the type of scene being displayed.
Hello everyone...long time lurker but first time poster...I purchased this tv from Costco in Canada and have this similar issue affecting the left side and somewhat on the right side. Besides this issue, today I also heard click / pop sound in the top right hand corner while cleaning the screen..it seems as if the panel is a bit loose in that area...I haven't noticed any issues because of this..Should I return it?...I am still few days away from my return window...otherwise the picture quality is excellent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello everyone...long time lurker but first time poster...I purchased this tv from Costco in Canada and have this similar issue affecting the left side and somewhat on the right side. Besides this issue, today I also heard click / pop sound in the top right hand corner while cleaning the screen..it seems as if the panel is a bit loose in that area...I haven't noticed any issues because of this..Should I return it?...I am still few days away from my return window...otherwise the picture quality is excellent.
If you have any doubt then yes. I returned two sets (X800E and an MU8000) until I got my X900E and didn’t think twice about it. Your chance of getting a keeper is fairly high if the issue is serious enough. After your return window closes it is basically your lemon to repair...

·
Registered
299 Posts

I had the click in the upper right corner too. I also noticed it while cleaning.

Here’s the weird thing: I didn’t touch it for several days, figured nothing was wrong with the picture and I was afraid to make it worse (also thought it might have happened when my wife and I were mounting it). Finally, the other day I decided to test that spot again with a microfiber cloth in hand. This time there was no give, no click, and everything felt normal.

I’m not sure if my first time hearing the click I actually pushed something into place, some glue needed to dry after manufacture or what.

I certainly didn’t want to box it back up and deal with returning, considering that the picture looked great and it’s not like I touch the tv often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is quite odd. I've never experienced a phenomenon like this in any other TV. It's NOT actually light bleed, but a weird difference in brightness.

Because you can't see it on very very dark scenes. If the edge of the TV is black or extremely close to it, you don't see it at all.

Only on on *dim* scenes. And it is by far most prevalent on scenes that features grays or dark to mid-dark blues or greens.

It truly does depend on the type of scene being displayed.
I bought my 65"X900E through Costco Canada as well and in the process of doing an exchange. If the next one I receive has the same light bleed on the left side and top, I'm returning and moving on. Sony can tell me until they're blue in the face, that it's within normal specifications, well there's no way that a 1" strip of light bleed is normal! I watched the exact same content on my 65" KS8000 and it had ZERO light bleed on the entire panel and it's an edge lit. I should also mention that I went to BB and purchased the same tv and guess what? Again a 1" strip of light bleed on the left side and top. Both tv's manufactured in Mexico Nov 2017. I guess Sony is just hoping, that the general public will have no idea and think it's normal to have that strip of light on their $2000 tv?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just bought a 75” 900E which will be delivered March 3rd (work away from home for long periods). Currently have a Denon receiver which I am thinking about upgrading for the 4K content. I will run Apple TV, Roku, DVD/BR, and Directv through it for all content. After reading reviews I will not be using the TV’s apps or WiFi.

Was wondering if someone could recommend a good 7.2 receiver that plays well with this tv. Would like to stick with Denon or Yamaha if possible as I have had good luck with them. Budget is between $500 - $800.
I bought a Denon X1300W on closeout that has worked flawlessly with the 900E so far. Crutchfield has a few different Denon models in you price range.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought my 65"X900E through Costco Canada as well and in the process of doing an exchange. If the next one I receive has the same light bleed on the left side and top, I'm returning and moving on. Sony can tell me until they're blue in the face, that it's within normal specifications, well there's no way that a 1" strip of light bleed is normal! I watched the exact same content on my 65" KS8000 and it had ZERO light bleed on the entire panel and it's an edge lit. I should also mention that I went to BB and purchased the same tv and guess what? Again a 1" strip of light bleed on the left side and top. Both tv's manufactured in Mexico Nov 2017. I guess Sony is just hoping, that the general public will have no idea and think it's normal to have that strip of light on their $2000 tv?
I'll take this opportunity to update people on this issue. I've been really busy these last couple of days so I hadn't replied at all, but here's what's been going on with this issue.

I decided to take the advice of someone I met in another forum or comment section (I don't recall at this moment which one) and literally run the TV into the ground in terms of usage. He told me that this TV has something of a break-in period, and that this is why the ones we see in the stores do not exhibit this phenomenon.

I didn't believe him, because I thought it was silly, why would an LCD/LED need a break in? This isn't a plasma. But I decided to try his idea.

He suggested I basically leave the TV on for days straight, playing content that took up the entire screen. He suggested even a blank white screen would work, but I decided to just leave the TV on one of my live streaming channels. I literally left the TV on for a week.

Well, just yesterday I decided to do a "stress test" of the issue.

By golly, it has all but disappeared. It is *still* slightly present, mainly on the right which is where it was more noticeable on this last set that I decided to keep.

But it has faded almost into nothingness. Only if I agonizingly look for it with a dim gray scene can I find it. I can't really notice much anymore on other hues. I'm willing to bet it will fade even more or even completely if I allow the screen to age a bit more, maybe a month or so.

It sounds silly, but you might want to try it. Run that TV nonstop 24/7 for a week or so and see if it improves, if you have that kind of time left in your return period.

Reactions: Furyus

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll take this opportunity to update people on this issue. I've been really busy these last couple of days so I hadn't replied at all, but here's what's been going on with this issue.

I decided to take the advice of someone I met in another forum or comment section (I don't recall at this moment which one) and literally run the TV into the ground in terms of usage. He told me that this TV has something of a break-in period, and that this is why the ones we see in the stores do not exhibit this phenomenon.

I didn't believe him, because I thought it was silly, why would an LCD/LED need a break in? This isn't a plasma. But I decided to try his idea.

He suggested I basically leave the TV on for days straight, playing content that took up the entire screen. He suggested even a blank white screen would work, but I decided to just leave the TV on one of my live streaming channels. I literally left the TV on for a week.

Well, just yesterday I decided to do a "stress test" of the issue.

By golly, it has all but disappeared. It is *still* slightly present, mainly on the right which is where it was more noticeable on this last set that I decided to keep.

But it has faded almost into nothingness. Only if I agonizingly look for it with a dim gray scene can I find it. I can't really notice much anymore on other hues. I'm willing to bet it will fade even more or even completely if I allow the screen to age a bit more, maybe a month or so.

It sounds silly, but you might want to try it. Run that TV nonstop 24/7 for a week or so and see if it improves, if you have that kind of time left in your return period.
Unfortunately I was running out of time on my return period, so I had to pack it up. Even though it was going on month 3, luckily Costco was willing to do an exchange, because they had been sold out since Xmas. It's too bad I never knew of this earlier, other than the distracting light bleed on the left side, it had perfect uniformity, so I was extremely bummed out that I had to start the exchange process. Crossing my fingers when the next one arrives.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unfortunately I was running out of time on my return period, so I had to pack it up. Even though it was going on month 3, luckily Costco was willing to do an exchange, because they had been sold out since Xmas. It's too bad I never knew of this earlier, other than the distracting light bleed on the left side, it had perfect uniformity, so I was extremely bummed out that I had to start the exchange process. Crossing my fingers when the next one arrives.
That is exactly why I had decided to keep this particular set. It had perfect uniformity where almost all of the other ones I had been through had some minor clouding or flashlighting.

I hope this set works out for you. I'm convinced they all have it to some degree out of the box. But what I tried really does seem to indicate that it does sort of "work itself out" to some degree with time and usage. Maybe a lot of people just aren't giving it that time so basically running the set non stop for a week works out to almost the 200 hours I've heard is a good break-in time before people start calibrating their picture.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I tried disabling a lot of the boat at the next reboot it was all back. Is there a way to permanently disable this crap. Personally I put a Roku Ultra on the wife's X900E and she used that and DirecTV receiver, the internal apps are too sluggish and the internal wifi sucks.
I find the Netflix app to be just fine, everything else is just crapola.

If you are brave you can follow this thread deep into Android land ......

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74521466&postcount=1259

:frown:I am not at present :D

12161 - 12180 of 19683 Posts