AVS Forum banner

12221 - 12240 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not able to get HDR on port 1 and 4. As a test last night, I moved my Sony X800 UHD player from HDMI 3 to HDMI 4. No more HDR from the X800's youtube app which previously was playing HDR when connected to HDMI 3. So what is the magic trick to get all ports to pass HDR content? They just do by default? Maybe a problem with youtube? I will try a UHD HDR blue-ray and see what happens.
Your only going to get HDR on HDMI ports 2 & 3. You can get 4K on all ports just not HDR.

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well most likely 99% of the people they do installs for will never know the difference. Also many of them probably have older or very cheap tvs in which the builtin scaling may not be so good.
Yes, good point.
Most TV's are probably not as good in scaling so they default to that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I have had this TV for 2 weeks now and really love the picture. One problem I am having is with my Harmony Smart Control remote. This remote uses the Harmony Hub. I deleted my Samsung TV that I replaced and added the Sony 900E to my watch TV activity and the remote turns everything on ok. The problem is the Harmony remote will not turn the TV off for some reason when I shut down the activity. Anyone figure out how to turn off the Sony TV with a Harmony Smart that uses the hub? I have seen a few other people on the Harmony forums with the same problem but none of the suggested fixes worked for me.
I'm using a Harmony Elite with my 49" 900E and have never had any issues with it turning the TV on and off through the various activities that use the TV. I didn't have to do anything special. When you go into the device on the remote do the power commands all work manually?

If they do, then maybe try deleting the activity and recreating it. If they aren't, then maybe the IR sensor on the TV can't see the Harmony's IR blaster and the TV is being turned on via HDMI?

John

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Then you are doing something wrong. All four of my HDMI ports will display 4K HDR.

Ports 2 & 3 are the only ports that support 60p and 10-bit, 4:4:4 chroma, at 4K HDR, but otherwise they're all the same. The only time you're going to want to use that kind of bandwidth is with video games and PC graphics, and some sports that support it. Standard 4K HDR programs streamed by most people from Amazon and Netflix don't need that kind of bandwidth. So the only people who really need 4 enhanced ports are gamers with multiple game consoles and PCs plugged into the set, which I'd say even in the gaming world is pretty rare. This isn't going to be an issue for most people and the 4K HDR content they'll viewing.

Mac128 question for you. I dont game or stream movie's on my x900e. All I do is watch Blu rays and 4K Blu's on my Samsung K-8500 4k Blu ray player and watch On Demand Movies and regular tv through Xfinity HD. So will it be ok to use HDMI Port 1 on my x900e? Or should I keep it on the HDMI ARC Port?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am using a Harmony Ultimate with hub and have not had any issues.
Hmmm. Would you mind sharing your setup. I have Dish Hopper, Denon receiver and Sony 900E as devices. When I end the activity the Hopper and Denon shut of, but the Sony TV stays on and shows a message saying something about external speakers or some such. But the TV stays on. I tried adding a power toggle to the activity, but did not help. Thanks for your input on this.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm using a Harmony Elite with my 49" 900E and have never had any issues with it turning the TV on and off through the various activities that use the TV. I didn't have to do anything special. When you go into the device on the remote do the power commands all work manually?

If they do, then maybe try deleting the activity and recreating it. If they aren't, then maybe the IR sensor on the TV can't see the Harmony's IR blaster and the TV is being turned on via HDMI?

John
John, thanks for the reply. I have not tried the power command manually for the TV, but I will try to check it as soon as I can. As far as the IR sensor goes, when I installed this TV in the same spot using the same mount as my 50 inch Samsung Plasma, this TV sits a bit lower and the top of my center channel speaker was blocking the IR sensor on the Sony TV which is very low in the center so the TV wouldn't even turn on or change inputs. So I ran the Harmony IR blaster through the wall from my equipment closet plugged into my Niles IR extender to the back of my center speaker and then it powered on and changed inputs. I can use the remote for going to setup and everything, but it would not power off when I shut down the activity. So I don't think it is a blocked IR issue at this point. I did not try deleting the activity and recreating it, but that sounds like something to definitely try. I did not create a new activity when I got this TV. I deleted my Samsung TV and then added my Sony TV and then repaired the activity by adding the Sony TV to it. So that will be my next step tor try. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
fwiw:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/sony-xbr-65x900e-basic-picture-settings-and-hdr-notes/

"Like other TVs you'll want to engage the HDMI Enhanced format option when you connect HDR sources like 4K Blu-ray players -- and unlike LG, the Sony doesn't automatically detect and change that setting for you. The menu says it affects inputs 2 and 3, but according to Sony all four of the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0B, which supports 4K HDR. Only inputs 2 and 3 support 18GBps speeds, however, so "Connecting a 4K/UHD Blu-ray player to these ports will ensure their 4K HDR 60P content will be optimized," Sony's representative told us."

So it depends, basically.

·
Super Moderator
15,968 Posts
Pricing discussion removed. Please continue in the designated Deals' subforum.

·
Registered
928 Posts
fwiw:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/sony-xbr-65x900e-basic-picture-settings-and-hdr-notes/

"Like other TVs you'll want to engage the HDMI Enhanced format option when you connect HDR sources like 4K Blu-ray players -- and unlike LG, the Sony doesn't automatically detect and change that setting for you. The menu says it affects inputs 2 and 3, but according to Sony all four of the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0B, which supports 4K HDR. Only inputs 2 and 3 support 18GBps speeds, however, so "Connecting a 4K/UHD Blu-ray player to these ports will ensure their 4K HDR 60P content will be optimized," Sony's representative told us."

So it depends, basically.
Thank you for that. Now it's clear.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I really don't get this. Why would anyone want to use the built-in speakers if one has a receiver?
I think some people just do not want to power the receiver up sometimes for a quick weather check, ect. ect......I know I do not use the TV speakers, I just leave the receiver on 24-7......

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think some people just do not want to power the receiver up sometimes for a quick weather check, ect. ect......I know I do not use the TV speakers, I just leave the receiver on 24-7......
But if you are using HDMI-CEC that all receivers post the dinosaur era supports your receiver powers on when the TV powers on (and off when you turn the TV off)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That's the beauty of ARC (and now eARC). the TV can signal the receiver to turn on, and use the TV remote for volume control. As well as turn everything off. finally the "industry" got enough calls from Mom/dad/grandma asking how to get the sound on!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thank you for that. Now it's clear.
If it's a 60fps 4k Hdr it will have to be ports 2 and 3. Anything that's 24fps 4k Hdr should be fine under lower bandwidth which all ports support I believe. Movies I think are all 24hz. But I know in my 4k player I can have it do 60 or 24 and even when I tried to do 24 some streaming 4k apps still do 60.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
If it's a 60fps 4k Hdr it will have to be ports 2 and 3. Anything that's 24fps 4k Hdr should be fine under lower bandwidth which all ports support I believe. Movies I think are all 24hz. But I know in my 4k player I can have it do 60 or 24 and even when I tried to do 24 some streaming 4k apps still do 60.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That explains why I was losing HDR playing the X800 youtube app through HMDI4. It was likely 60hz HDR. It all makes sense now. :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I am not able to get HDR on port 1 and 4. As a test last night, I moved my Sony X800 UHD player from HDMI 3 to HDMI 4. No more HDR from the X800's youtube app which previously was playing HDR when connected to HDMI 3. So what is the magic trick to get all ports to pass HDR content? They just do by default? Maybe a problem with youtube? I will try a UHD HDR blue-ray and see what happens.
Not sure. Make sure HDR is set to auto on the picture settings you're using. You might have to scale back your bandwidth on the x800 so that it's not outputting a high bandwidth "enhanced" signal, though I would think it wouldn't show up at all in that case, but maybe the X800 is smart enough to just strip off all but the basic signal if it finds an incompatible port. If you were getting HDR from YouTube on the 2 and 3 inputs, you should still see it on 1 & 4. Unless HDR was set to "on" in the picture settings, then everything would show up as HDR. If your YouTube app on the X800 has HDR, you're lucky, that's one of the few that does.

Your only going to get HDR on HDMI ports 2 & 3. You can get 4K on all ports just not HDR.
Not true. 4K HDR is available on all ports. Only 2 & 3 support high bandwidth signals.

Mac128 question for you. I dont game or stream movie's on my x900e. All I do is watch Blu rays and 4K Blu's on my Samsung K-8500 4k Blu ray player and watch On Demand Movies and regular tv through Xfinity HD. So will it be ok to use HDMI Port 1 on my x900e? Or should I keep it on the HDMI ARC Port?
The "enhanced" ports 2 & 3 are designed for a 4K Blu-Ray player. I would definitely put it on one of those two ports to take advantage of the extra bandwidth. That's the whole point of buying a BluRay vs. streaming. In addition to turning on the HDMI port's enhanced setting, make sure you've set the BluRay player to output the highest bandwidth.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a lot of issues with HDMI cables and finally found some that worked well. But what was nice was that my receiver was able to tell me what the signal being sent through to the TV was.
So i could tell if its was 24Hz or 60Hz as well as 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and the color space and so on. and then i cross referenced it to this handy chart

Really great info on this page http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

But it helped me understand what was using 18Gbps bandwidth and what wasn't and you can definitely tell when you have a cord that doesn't really support it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
X900E and Sonos Playbar

Am wondering if any owners of the 900E are using the SONOS Playbar with their television. My one reservation in purchasing is the lack of HDMI support. Would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have never used a Harmony remote,
Can the Harmony be set up to auto change the Picture mode as well as input?

Not that I know of but if anyone else has found a way to do this I’d love to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
But if you are using HDMI-CEC that all receivers post the dinosaur era supports your receiver powers on when the TV powers on (and off when you turn the TV off)
That's fine if you have a newer receiver, but not everyone does. I have an Integra RDC-7, which works perfectly. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to replace it just to gain HDMI/ARC support. Plus, that also doesn't solve the amp problem, which of course could be taken care of, but not without buying more hardware.

12221 - 12240 of 19683 Posts