AVS Forum banner

13741 - 13760 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
N.B. - I have not yet even attempted to read through this thread, so I will apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

I have noticed something odd with the display on a 65" set today... When looking at the panel from off-angle, there are vertical stripes / bands of what I can only think to describe as oily looking material inside the panel. The bands are approximately 5" wide and generally run the entire height of the panel. I tried a clean microfiber towel both with spray cleaner and dry, and neither will either clean any of it or even "smear it around". So, this leads me to believe that the issue is inside the panel.

I have not noticed any sort of issues with viewing images on the set, but I have two other 900E sets and a 940D that I have not [yet] noticed this specific condition on. Should I be chasing down a replacement? And, is there any possibility that the fact that it was stored, in its original box unopened, in my 55 degree basement for 60 days to blame for this? I have read that LCD panels are NOT susceptible to damage from freezing temperatures, so I would not believe that it would be related. I also won't have a chance to compare to the other sets I mentioned for about a week.

If anyone has any input or ideas, I'd be interested in reading through it.

Thanks.

Is this what you're seeing? I'm currently working with Sony trying to get a replacement... only had this set for two weeks now.

I'm seeing some significant dse during panning shots that I find unacceptable. The last photo with the gray pluge highlights the uniformity issues with this panel. I'm not seeking perfection, but I find this subpar for a premium display. I have three other "budget" lcds in my home with perfect uniformity.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Is this what you're seeing? I'm currently working with Sony trying to get a replacement... only had this set for two weeks now.

I'm seeing some significant dse during panning shots that I find unacceptable. The last photo with the gray pluge highlights the uniformity issues with this panel. I'm not seeking perfection, but I find this subpar for a premium display. I have three other "budget" lcds in my home with perfect uniformity.
Sorry... I thought I had stated this...

What I am seeing is ONLY visible with the TV off. It has nothing at all to do with programming or settings - this is an issue with the actual physical panel itself.

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
.99 cent movie night on Google Play in my neck of the woods tonight. $1.02 total cost. 48 hours to view once selected. Watching Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour. I think I'll make a gin & tonic to enjoy with the flick.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey guys new owner of a 75" 900E that needs some help. I set up the TV last night and everything looked great. But this morning when I turned on the TV all the colors were inverted. I tried hard setting several times and downloading the update. The screen looks like it suffers from "solarization" as it is described in other places. I literally had the unit for less than 8 hours before it started doing this. Anyone have similar issues?
Is this while using the built in app? Need more info on your setup. Try a different source or different HDMI to test repeatability.

·
Registered
230 Posts
.99 cent movie night on Google Play in my neck of the woods tonight. $1.02 total cost. 48 hours to view once selected. Watching Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour. I think I'll make a gin & tonic to enjoy with the flick.
Is that any format? I scrolled through the list and even the SD version isn’t showing .99. Does it change at checkout?

Edit: never mind. Going to watch It for $1.08 in UHD.

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
Is that any format? I scrolled through the list and even the SD version isn’t showing .99. Does it change at checkout?

Edit: never mind. Going to watch It for $1.08 in UHD.
Yes - HD / SD is both 99 cents before tax. Great upscaling by the Sony 900E!

Reactions: LDBetaGuy

·
Registered
904 Posts
It happens regardless of source. It's present on all the menus.
Sound like it’s defective then. Either request a new one from wherever you got it or call Sony for warranty.

Reactions: bradman

·
Registered
742 Posts
Did some calibration today with Calman software and colorimeter. Found some interesting results on gray scale. Also contrast settings seem to differ with different local dimming settings. Room conditions are dim lit so I targeted a gamma of 2.3 on the gray scale.

Cinema Pro
Gray scale on the RGB curve was definitely slighted on the red & Blue
Ended up with advanced color settings using expert 1
R-Gain =-5
G-Gain =0
B- Gain =-8
All Bias settings = 0

Brightness = 15
Contrast = 92
Gamma = -2
Black level = 50
Black adjust = off
Adv Contrast = off
Auto local dimming = high
Color = 57
Video Options all Auto

With local dimming on medium I could max out contrast without clipping white.
With local dimming on high anything higher than 92 would start crushing white.

Tested color accuracy and only Expert1&2 were most accurate. All other modes were way off.
These line up with the findings of Rtings, Cnet, and Sound and Vision, among others.The adv. color stuff is best done individually, but a blue push has been noted across all of the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All

New owner of this model for 2 days. My previous primary TV was a 2008 Panasonic 720 Plasma and After 2 days of playing with settings (litterally hours) I’m in the ball park of matching up to the Panny but still not there with colors and wanted to see if perhaps I could use the “Color Gamma Adjustment Points” or some other setting to get the following.

1) Slightly more orange in reds
2) Slightly more vibrant yellow
3) Slightly more lighter blue

Perhaps its just that there aren’t as many colors in this new Sony than the old Panny but here are some observations while running the sets at the same time right next to each other while watching programs.

The following is all programming from Direct TV
1) While watching some downhill ski event there were some orangish colored safety nets the Panny that just ended up red on the Sony
2) While watching Golf Channel there are some icons that are dark blue on the bottom that transform to slightly lighter blue on the top on the Panny, yet on the Sony they appear to have very little transition in color.
3) I cant get a Contrast setting on the sony that captures the depth of whites without blowing out in comparrison to the Panny
4) Sony is more grainy and noisy compared to the Panny (perhaps from upscalling?)
5) Panny just has a “deeper look” glossy to all colors in general.

If someone coule help me acomplish improvements the first 3 items listed It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hello All

New owner of this model for 2 days. My previous primary TV was a 2008 Panasonic 720 Plasma and After 2 days of playing with settings (litterally hours) I’m in the ball park of matching up to the Panny but still not there with colors and wanted to see if perhaps I could use the “Color Gamma Adjustment Points” or some other setting to get the following.

1) Slightly more orange in reds
2) Slightly more vibrant yellow
3) Slightly more lighter blue

Perhaps its just that there aren’t as many colors in this new Sony than the old Panny but here are some observations while running the sets at the same time right next to each other while watching programs.

The following is all programming from Direct TV
1) While watching some downhill ski event there were some orangish colored safety nets the Panny that just ended up red on the Sony
2) While watching Golf Channel there are some icons that are dark blue on the bottom that transform to slightly lighter blue on the top on the Panny, yet on the Sony they appear to have very little transition in color.
3) I cant get a Contrast setting on the sony that captures the depth of whites without blowing out in comparrison to the Panny
4) Sony is more grainy and noisy compared to the Panny (perhaps from upscalling?)
5) Panny just has a “deeper look” glossy to all colors in general.

If someone coule help me acomplish improvements the first 3 items listed It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
In order for us to comment we need to know what picture mode your running and the settings you have.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry... I thought I had stated this...

What I am seeing is ONLY visible with the TV off. It has nothing at all to do with programming or settings - this is an issue with the actual physical panel itself.

If you only see it while it’s off why do you care? Is actual content affected? Do you have examples of that? There were issues some experienced with bright 1” or so borders during viewing but that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

I don’t watch my tv while it’s off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you only see it while it’s off why do you care? Is actual content affected? Do you have examples of that? There were issues some experienced with bright 1” or so borders during viewing but that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

I don’t watch my tv while it’s off.

I "care" because I'm concerned that this might be an indicator of a flaw with the panel that could be indicative of premature failure. Just because it does not seem to CURRENTLY affect PQ, does not meant that it isn't an indicator of bad things to come.

If you have actual useful information pertaining the the condition I am describing and whether or not it is normal or not, I'm interested in knowing that. Comments like "I don't watch my TV while it's off" are not helpful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Using this set (55") mainly for gaming and I noticed what seems to be smearing/trailing/ghosting, whatever is called...

This video I found on YouTube shows what I mean:
youtube.com/watch?v=27fCKZGAgFA

When for example I move the camera right to left, from assassin's creed origins, on bright areas, like desert, if there is a high contrast object, shadow etc, like a pilar, there is a red line that follows said image....

Can it be that my set is somehow broken? I'm still on return window, so any help, would be really appreciated..

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I "care" because I'm concerned that this might be an indicator of a flaw with the panel that could be indicative of premature failure. Just because it does not seem to CURRENTLY affect PQ, does not meant that it isn't an indicator of bad things to come.

If you have actual useful information pertaining the the condition I am describing and whether or not it is normal or not, I'm interested in knowing that. Comments like "I don't watch my TV while it's off" are not helpful.
If you bought it locally I would just return it to where you bought and exchange it. That's the quickest way to resolve this issue. I don't seem to have this issue with my TV and I've had it for a little over a week. I am having mine exchanged though do to an issue with what appears to be where someone screwed in a few screws to far or something and it causes 4 black spots with wrinkles. I bought mine online so I'm waiting for it to be shipped out and they're going to pick up my current one when they deliver the new one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bump again.

SOMEONE has to have some input on this issue... Does anyone else see it in their sets?
If you have something like this, return it. I had this problem with 7 out of 8 sets. After a month of returns and countless hours on the phone with Sony only one technician gave me any sort of an answer, which was, he felt it was delamination of the screen from the inside. I got so fed up with the situation I ended up buying a X930E from Amazon--so far so good thank my lucky stars. Also for me, in the beginning the "stains" could only be seen when TV was off, but over the few days of troubleshooting I started to see the "stain" patterns sort of through the television picture when it was on for a while, if that makes any sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did some calibration today with Calman software and colorimeter. Found some interesting results on gray scale. Also contrast settings seem to differ with different local dimming settings. Room conditions are dim lit so I targeted a gamma of 2.3 on the gray scale.

Cinema Pro
Gray scale on the RGB curve was definitely slighted on the red & Blue
Ended up with advanced color settings using expert 1
R-Gain =-5
G-Gain =0
B- Gain =-8
All Bias settings = 0

Brightness = 15
Contrast = 92
Gamma = -2
Black level = 50
Black adjust = off
Adv Contrast = off
Auto local dimming = high
Color = 57
Video Options all Auto

With local dimming on medium I could max out contrast without clipping white.
With local dimming on high anything higher than 92 would start crushing white.

Tested color accuracy and only Expert1&2 were most accurate. All other modes were way off.
The gamma or perhaps the black levels seems to dynamically increase themselves in certain scenes aswell. Some, but not all, dark scenes blow out their levels for no apparent reason. This perhaps doesn’t show in grey scale calibration as it seems to be related to the scene composition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2 year old Sammy soundbar that works well with my 55 SUHD Samsung (now in the bedroom). Will I still be able to control the soundbar via the 900E ARC output? (with Sammy I could raise/lower soundbar volume as well as on/off from the regular remote).
Just another post in this forum and never a reply..... not one. Why?

·
Registered
380 Posts

I would disagree regarding bad things to come. I’ve seen many posts about about screen “issues” on this and Vizio forums. They range from their screen looks weird on the setup menu to physical imperfections in the panel itself when it’s not on. The bottom line is how does it look with actual content. If you can’t see it then most likely it isn’t an issue. Off angle viewing with VA panels will see a drop off in picture quality - nature of the beast so realize that.
You will read in those forums about playing the “panel lottery” where you risk exchanging one non-issue for a real one. No panel is perfect. I read one person exchanged their set 8x in their quest for perfection. If there is an issue yes return it but also try to be objective. I’m sorry you took offense to my comment but that was to emphasize a point.

13741 - 13760 of 19683 Posts