AVS Forum banner

13761 - 13780 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe because no one knows, particularly since you didn't post a model number for the soundbar? I definitely don't know the answer.
I appreciate your response, but in general sound bars are pretty generic. Just wondering if the ARC connection on the 900E provides controls.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just another post in this forum and never a reply..... not one. Why?
You originally posted less than 24 hours ago. Patience. Weekends can be a little slow around here, and the people who have your setup may not be around. Also, there's over 13,000 posts you could search for the answer -- I don't personally have a soundbar setup, but I've seen this question diacussed a lot. And given the vast number of posts, yours might get skipped.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I "care" because I'm concerned that this might be an indicator of a flaw with the panel that could be indicative of premature failure. Just because it does not seem to CURRENTLY affect PQ, does not meant that it isn't an indicator of bad things to come.

If you have actual useful information pertaining the the condition I am describing and whether or not it is normal or not, I'm interested in knowing that. Comments like "I don't watch my TV while it's off" are not helpful.
As suggested, perhaps you could provide photographic examples. Sony will require you to do that anyway, in the event you don't return it in the window. I've never read anything about that particular problem in over 12,000 posts, so it doesn't appear to be a reported issue, much less common. A text description is helpful, but as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe it will spark someone's memory, or they will see something in the picture your however well detailed description doesn't evoke.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey guys new owner of a 75" 900E that needs some help. I set up the TV last night and everything looked great. But this morning when I turned on the TV all the colors were inverted. I tried hard setting several times and downloading the update. The screen looks like it suffers from "solarization" as it is described in other places. I literally had the unit for less than 8 hours before it started doing this. Anyone have similar issues?
Cable secure? Try another HDMI cable? Try resetting the TV to factory defaults, then see if the latest firmware has been applied and test again?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you have something like this, return it. I had this problem with 7 out of 8 sets. After a month of returns and countless hours on the phone with Sony only one technician gave me any sort of an answer, which was, he felt it was delamination of the screen from the inside. I got so fed up with the situation I ended up buying a X930E from Amazon--so far so good thank my lucky stars. Also for me, in the beginning the "stains" could only be seen when TV was off, but over the few days of troubleshooting I started to see the "stain" patterns sort of through the television picture when it was on for a while, if that makes any sense.
Thanks for the photo of the issues you've seen. It is not the same as what I'm seeing "exactly", but I would say there is definitely a resemblance. I haven't been able to get the issue that I'm seeing to show up in photos. Cameras don't work the same as our eyes, so not everything can be captured. And, for now, it seems that this is the case with this as well.

I would disagree regarding bad things to come. I’ve seen many posts about about screen “issues” on this and Vizio forums. They range from their screen looks weird on the setup menu to physical imperfections in the panel itself when it’s not on. The bottom line is how does it look with actual content. If you can’t see it then most likely it isn’t an issue. Off angle viewing with VA panels will see a drop off in picture quality - nature of the beast so realize that.
You will read in those forums about playing the “panel lottery” where you risk exchanging one non-issue for a real one. No panel is perfect. I read one person exchanged their set 8x in their quest for perfection. If there is an issue yes return it but also try to be objective. I’m sorry you took offense to my comment but that was to emphasize a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't take offense to your comment, I pointed out that it wasn't helpful. I don't watch my TV while it's off, either. But, I'm concerned about what might happen to the PQ when it's on if this is some sort of indication that there may be a problem that's just starting to develop.

I am outside of the return window but have only just unboxed the set and put it into service. I have reached out to where I bought it to see what they would suggest I do. Even though I'm beyond the return window, they may still be willing to let me bring it back for a swap. I definitely have no interest in trying to chase this with Sony because I know how much of an uphill battle it can be with them PLUS I haven't been able to capture the issue I'm seeing in a picture - it has to be seen first-hand.

These sets are great when they're ok and absolutely miserable when they're not. Until I can better understand what it is that I'm looking at, I am not taking any specific steps for return or repair other than exploring my options.

As suggested, perhaps you could provide photographic examples. Sony will require you to do that anyway, in the event you don't return it in the window. I've never read anything about that particular problem in over 12,000 posts, so it doesn't appear to be a reported issue, much less common. A text description is helpful, but as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe it will spark someone's memory, or they will see something in the picture your however well detailed description doesn't evoke.
See previous comment - I haven't been able to capture the image in a picture as of yet. :/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the photo of the issues you've seen. It is not the same as what I'm seeing "exactly", but I would say there is definitely a resemblance. I haven't been able to get the issue that I'm seeing to show up in photos. Cameras don't work the same as our eyes, so not everything can be captured. And, for now, it seems that this is the case with this as well.

I didn't take offense to your comment, I pointed out that it wasn't helpful. I don't watch my TV while it's off, either. But, I'm concerned about what might happen to the PQ when it's on if this is some sort of indication that there may be a problem that's just starting to develop.

I am outside of the return window but have only just unboxed the set and put it into service. I have reached out to where I bought it to see what they would suggest I do. Even though I'm beyond the return window, they may still be willing to let me bring it back for a swap. I definitely have no interest in trying to chase this with Sony because I know how much of an uphill battle it can be with them PLUS I haven't been able to capture the issue I'm seeing in a picture - it has to be seen first-hand.

These sets are great when they're ok and absolutely miserable when they're not. Until I can better understand what it is that I'm looking at, I am not taking any specific steps for return or repair other than exploring my options.

See previous comment - I haven't been able to capture the image in a picture as of yet. :/
Meburdick, I absolutely understand about the "taking pictures" problem. I had a horrible time to get that little bit to show somewhat in a picture, yet when the technician came out he saw it right away and his immediate response was "That's horrible" and immediately called his supervisor and tried to show him a live video of it, that's how bad the "staining" was. I would just watch carefully as I stated in my post that the stains started to come through the picture a couple of days later after the TV was on a while, I guess after heating up a little. Good luck, hope your problem doesn't get worse. Maybe if your retailer is willing to work with you maybe its possible to open and check TV in store before lugging it back home and going through setup like I did so many times.

·
Vendor
26,619 Posts
If you have something like this, return it. I had this problem with 7 out of 8 sets. After a month of returns and countless hours on the phone with Sony only one technician gave me any sort of an answer, which was, he felt it was delamination of the screen from the inside. I got so fed up with the situation I ended up buying a X930E from Amazon--so far so good thank my lucky stars. Also for me, in the beginning the "stains" could only be seen when TV was off, but over the few days of troubleshooting I started to see the "stain" patterns sort of through the television picture when it was on for a while, if that makes any sense.
You must be a very patient person as I would not go thru 7 or 8 returns I would pick a different model as you did, just sooner ;) In the end I would have kept the first set, That does not look like a problem to me. Everyone has an opinion and I have come to realize after 45 year on this earth there is nothing manufactured perfect. Everything is going to break including the house a guy got done building today, its just a matter of when it will beak, not if.

·
Registered
931 Posts

You've kind of piecemealed this issue to us, so it's a bit confusing to follow all the details. As I said, in over 13K posts, I don't recall reading about this issue. Here's the issue as I now understand it: you don't have a problem per se, but you are concerned there won't be one. Unfortunately since you're out of your return window, you're at the mercy of the retailer as to what you can do about it. At this point, unless your retailer agrees there's something worthy of returning which is likely to develop into a defect, you should just forget about it, until it actually becomes a problem. No one is likely going to preempt a potential problem, especially if there's no gurantee it will become one. Sadly some products, like these, should be unpacked and examined the day they're purchased for this exact reason. Good luck.

You must be a very patient person as I would not go thru 7 or 8 returns I would pick a different model as you did, just sooner ;) In the end I would have kept the first set, That does not look like a problem to me. Everyone has an opinion and I have come to realize after 45 year on this earth there is nothing manufactured perfect. Everything is going to break including the house a guy got done building today, its just a matter of when it will beak, not if.
You missed the whole story -- he bought 4-5 TVs for multiple rooms at once, returned 3, then 2, and then 2. So it's not like he took the same TV back 7-8 times. With 2 good ones, out 4-5 sets, I can sort of understand why you'd keep trying with the same model as a good 900E is a great deal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like stated before pictures really do not show the issue in any detail however in person it was truly horrible and very obvious, like you left the TV out in the rain and just slapped in on your wall without even cleaning it. The worst part of it was the issue did get worse effecting the picture quality, that's why I was stating to the other poster to keep an eye on it. Not chasing that "absolute perfection" dragon but for a good chunk of money there should be a certain level of quality. I know that quality can be met because I still have the 1 X900E that didn't have this problem and is working fine as is the X930E I purchased. Guess I was just an unfortunate victim of the "panel lottery" to the extreme.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Using this set (55") mainly for gaming and I noticed what seems to be smearing/trailing/ghosting, whatever is called...

This video I found on YouTube shows what I mean:
youtube.com/watch?v=27fCKZGAgFA

When for example I move the camera right to left, from assassin's creed origins, on bright areas, like desert, if there is a high contrast object, shadow etc, like a pilar, there is a red line that follows said image....

Can it be that my set is somehow broken? I'm still on return window, so any help, would be really appreciated..

Thanks
I made a video, using my phone:

https://streamable.com/5njjj

Focus on the big rocks, as i move the camera...

Can someone enlight me please? is this normal? or i better seek for a replacement/return?:confused:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You've kind of piecemealed this issue to us, so it's a bit confusing to follow all the details. As I said, in over 13K posts, I don't recall reading about this issue. Here's the issue as I now understand it: you don't have a problem per se, but you are concerned there won't be one. Unfortunately since you're out of your return window, you're at the mercy of the retailer as to what you can do about it. At this point, unless your retailer agrees there's something worthy of returning which is likely to develop into a defect, you should just forget about it, until it actually becomes a problem. No one is likely going to preempt a potential problem, especially if there's no gurantee it will become one. Sadly some products, like these, should be unpacked and examined the day they're purchased for this exact reason. Good luck.
Not sure why you're saying I've piece-mealed the situation... The only detail that I missed in the original post is that the oily film strips are visible when the TV is off. Otherwise, everything I'm seeing is in the first post.

My inquiry is to try and understand two things: 1) Is this a [somewhat] common thing and 2) has anyone encountered this and seen their set degrade (or possibly can state that this is an actual defect)?

I have not -noticed- this in at least four other very similar sets, but I also haven't had the chance to actually do an in-person examination of any of those other sets yet to understand if the problem is wider-spread or not. I know that I should have taken this out of the box and tested it. Still, I don't believe that would have done anything for me since it took a specific set of conditions for me to even notice it on this one, and that was after it had been set up for over a week. Noticing it was somewhat of a fluke. So, even if I had opened it the day it came, I don't know that I would have seen it.

While I can understand the sentiment you're expressing with the notion of not worrying until it becomes a problem, that isn't acceptable to me. If there's a manufacturing issue with this panel, I need to address NOW - not two months after the warranty expires. Sony is going to go by the purchase date, and is definitely not going to accept the notion of it sitting in the box before being put into use. And that's significant.

If the TV has an issue, and it's going to degrade over time until it makes the set unwatchable, I want it dealt with now. In doing so, and getting a panel that's manufactured correctly, I -SHOULD- be able to get YEARS of use without issue. I don't want to be replacing a set this expensive a year or two in because I neglected to deal with it right away.

I've reached out to the retailer and am awaiting their feedback to see whether it's something they could still help with by doing a swap or if I'm going to be at the mercy of Sony.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not sure why you're saying I've piece-mealed the situation... The only detail that I missed in the original post is that the oily film strips are visible when the TV is off. Otherwise, everything I'm seeing is in the first post.

My inquiry is to try and understand two things: 1) Is this a [somewhat] common thing and 2) has anyone encountered this and seen their set degrade (or possibly can state that this is an actual defect)?

I have not -noticed- this in at least four other very similar sets, but I also haven't had the chance to actually do an in-person examination of any of those other sets yet to understand if the problem is wider-spread or not. I know that I should have taken this out of the box and tested it. Still, I don't believe that would have done anything for me since it took a specific set of conditions for me to even notice it on this one, and that was after it had been set up for over a week. Noticing it was somewhat of a fluke. So, even if I had opened it the day it came, I don't know that I would have seen it.

While I can understand the sentiment you're expressing with the notion of not worrying until it becomes a problem, that isn't acceptable to me. If there's a manufacturing issue with this panel, I need to address NOW - not two months after the warranty expires. Sony is going to go by the purchase date, and is definitely not going to accept the notion of it sitting in the box before being put into use. And that's significant.

If the TV has an issue, and it's going to degrade over time until it makes the set unwatchable, I want it dealt with now. In doing so, and getting a panel that's manufactured correctly, I -SHOULD- be able to get YEARS of use without issue. I don't want to be replacing a set this expensive a year or two in because I neglected to deal with it right away.

I've reached out to the retailer and am awaiting their feedback to see whether it's something they could still help with by doing a swap or if I'm going to be at the mercy of Sony.
It's worse than you think. How many weeks did it sit in the box before you unpacked it? Unless you have a strong relationship with the retailer, they might be concerned that the panel was damaged during shipping, or even storage by you during the period it went unused.

Again, I've read all 13K + posts and have never seen this issue mentioned. It's either a brand new problem which Sony knows about, or not at all widespread, and therefore subject to your unique situation and what external forces may have played into the defect you're seeing.

So as I said before, good luck. If you're able to obtain an extended warranty on the set, you likely should do it if the retailer won't let you exchange it, or Sony won't replace it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The gamma or perhaps the black levels seems to dynamically increase themselves in certain scenes aswell. Some, but not all, dark scenes blow out their levels for no apparent reason. This perhaps doesn’t show in grey scale calibration as it seems to be related to the scene composition.
So true, I put up several different test patterns and noticed some clipping or crushing on different parts of the screen depending on the pattern. It also varied with different local dimming settings so it seems to be related to that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I finally got a Windows PC into the house and was able to format my 320GB HD into NTFS. I put a 4K HDR file as well as a downloaded Youtube file on the drive. The 900e was able to read it and play the files without issues using the build in video player (No VLC)

It will still not read my 2 TB drive formatted on my Mac where all of my other files reside. This is fine, knowing I purchased and took back the Nvidia Shield TV saving 200 bucks and my TV can do the same as long as the drive is formatted correctly.

Just a heads up for those who have been asking HD questions and so on.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So I finally got a Windows PC into the house and was able to format my 320GB HD into NTFS. I put a 4K HDR file as well as a downloaded Youtube file on the drive. The 900e was able to read it and play the files without issues using the build in video player (No VLC)

It will still not read my 2 TB drive formatted on my Mac where all of my other files reside. This is fine, knowing I purchased and took back the Nvidia Shield TV saving 200 bucks and my TV can do the same as long as the drive is formatted correctly.

Just a heads up for those who have been asking HD questions and so on.
Windows? Are you of the false belief that you have to format your disk ONLY with Windows for it to work? :)

Any machine capable of creating an exFAT filesystem on a disk can be used to format a drive correctly to use on the Bravia TV's. I used an iMac to format a 128G flash drive and then stored a number of HD BluRay rips on it and played them back just fine on the 900E. At one point, there may have been some legitimacy to having to use a Windows machine to format the disk because of what OS'es supported what file systems. That has most definitely relaxed and the incorrect "requirement" to use a Windows machine still does not have to be followed.

Formatted with NTFS or exFAT, drives can be up to 16TB in size as can individual files.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51840

·
Registered
95 Posts
What's the best motion settings that everyone has found for streaming 1080p content? Standard network shows like Walking Dead, American Idol, etc. I've been trying several, including different levels for CineMotion, but everything looks fake to me. But, if I turn all motion settings off, I get jutter in fast moving scenes.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
What's the best motion settings that everyone has found for streaming 1080p content? Standard network shows like Walking Dead, American Idol, etc. I've been trying several, including different levels for CineMotion, but everything looks fake to me. But, if I turn all motion settings off, I get jutter in fast moving scenes.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
I don't get any motion issues watching cable, but I have directv. Only on lower resolution content.

13761 - 13780 of 19683 Posts