AVS Forum banner

13821 - 13840 of 19683 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, if you consider a 2.2 speaker system as Dolby Atmos, then I guess it handles True-HD and DTS-HD. From what I've read, the B7P has built in decoders for Atmos and DTS X and Atmos, specifically, via the Dolby access app. I think that is for the TV speakers only. (Internal processing of Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD.) I believe if you used ARC to an AVR, then it would be DD+ - - just like everything else.

If you had more speakers (5.1.4, 7.1.4) - then the best soundtrack would be an uncompressed Bluray disc - either UHD/4K or regular Bluray with Atmos or DTS X.

But if you like the sound of the B7P, then by all means, go for it. If you do not have a separate sound system and AVR for a multi-speaker layout - - then that's one way of getting Dolby Atmos without having an AVR or all the speakers. And, you'll get Netflix Atmos (via DD+) natively through the internal speakers and possibly through ARC to an AVR. Better off angle viewing, as well.

Thanks so much for the fast response! . I’ve an Onkyo HTIB from 2010, wich since then, I use with my windows pc to obtain DTS-HD and DOLBY True-HD.
This time I need to output to my non 4K Onkyo receiver Dts-HD and True-HD, from the tv itself/without the pc. It is possible trough ARC?

And separate question for all...if you can buy the B7P for $200 bucks cheaper than the X900E, you’ll do it?

Thanks so much again

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
This may be in the wrong forum but I thought it may be better here since people here may have more experience with what works best with this TV.

After the expense of the TV my wife has limited me on my player outlay. I was looking at the Samsung UBD-M7500/ZA or the LG UP870 because they are around $100 on Amazon.

You guys convinced me what a great TV this was so I don’t know want to over spend on a UHD player if the TV can do what is needed better.
From what I've read the remotes on both the Samsung and LG 4k players are really frustrating. The Sony x800 isn't that much more and it rocks and you can control it with the TV remote out of the box. Also, it will play blu ray and 4k blu ray rips in mkv format from a usb hard drive.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Super late on getting back to this, I've been traveling for work...

Yes, I deleted the TV as a device and re-added it via "add WiFi Devices" in the Harmony App.... Nothing works. I now have to use the Sony remote to turn the TV on and off. It's ridiculous.
You might want to take your problem to the remote area if you haven't already. I had a similar problem with my Dish Network Hopper. After deleting and re-adding it 3 or 4 times it seems to be stable now. It is kind of tricky to get it to have the receiver request a pin and then put the pin in only to have the thing stop working again. Definitely buggy, but when it is working it is so sweet!!

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow this TV is dark. I keep playing with all the picture adjustments. Maybe I'm just so used to my Samsung that it's difficult to get used to how dark this Sony's picture is.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Wow this TV is dark. I keep playing with all the picture adjustments. Maybe I'm just so used to my Samsung that it's difficult to get used to how dark this Sony's picture is.

Are u sure you don't have clearness turned up in the motion settings? That will insert black frames into the picture and make it dimmer

·
Registered
50 Posts

You mean the blacks are great or the image is dim? If you find the image dim, the Auto brightness is very aggressive, switch it off and burn your retinas to a crisp. If it’s still dim after that, you must unfortunately have a defective set as the brightness should be a head above most sets available.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks, but oddly I do not have the Customise TV key option there.

[HOME] > [Settings] > [External inputs] > [Customise TV key]

That’s odd. I just got home and tried it. This is what it looks like on my set.

For some reason I can’t attach a pic right now. Getting system error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
That’s odd. I just got home and tried it. This is what it looks like on my set.

For some reason I can’t attach a pic right now. Getting system error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, very bizarre. All the rest is there except the Tv customisation. Tried system update, and am uptodate. The only thing remains is region differences. I’m in Australia.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Off angle viewing with VA panels will see a drop off in picture quality - nature of the beast so realize that.
To my eyes it's more of a drop off in contrast, but brightness stays pretty high as you go off angle. I actually like viewing the 900E at angle much better than my old 850C with ips panel. As I watch my TV from the patio at +45 degrees (looking through the rear slider) the picture is still quite watchable.

I made a video, using my phone:

https://streamable.com/5njjj

Focus on the big rocks, as i move the camera...

Can someone enlight me please? is this normal? or i better seek for a replacement/return?:confused:
Wow. I had to fire up the PS4 and play a game to see if I can replicate (after 20 minutes of updates). In destiny 2 I did the same sweeping motion at different speeds and could not replicate. I then played battlefront 2 and found no issues. Fired up killing floor and nothing either. So I am left wondering about your picture settings. Is the TV set to game mode? For kicks and giggles set the pic mode to standard and see if it still happens. I know this is heresy but some games look and feel better with the motion smoothing engine running to my eye.

Maybe it's a 30FPS thing, or the console (tested ps4 and xbone), or game engine related. Do other game titles do the same thing? Try other games for sure as that can help troubleshoot. Also if you have another LCD panel connect the console to it and see if the issue is still there. I tend to doubt the TV is the issue, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts

As others have stated, it sounds like you have something like auto brightness or the BFI (clearness under the motion setting) on because this TV is anything but dark. That or your set is broken.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i'm not at home, but if you aren't using the built in tuner at all, you can disable the TV input on the External inputs screen. i've only enabled the three inputs i'm using (removing TV, screen sharing, etc.). i have my MX-500 remote set to return to HDMI 4 (our Tivo) when everything is powered off. when powering up, the Tivo comes up immediately.

you can also program what the TV button on the remote does (under Settings on the Home page)

(i've done this so that if we don't want to fire up the whole home theater, we can watch shows on the Tivo using the TV's speakers. i have a separate macro for TV w/HT on the remote)
I do have the TV button send it to hdmi-3. Unfortunately I am using the built in tuner for OTA, so disabling the input isn't an option. I'm thinking I might find a blank channel and leave the TV on it, since we only use broadcast to watch football.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do have the TV button send it to hdmi-3. Unfortunately I am using the built in tuner for OTA, so disabling the input isn't an option. I'm thinking I might find a blank channel and leave the TV on it, since we only use broadcast to watch football.
This may be in the wrong forum but I thought it may be better here since people here may have more experience with what works best with this TV.

After the expense of the TV my wife has limited me on my player outlay. I was looking at the Samsung UBD-M7500/ZA or the LG UP870 because they are around $100 on Amazon.

You guys convinced me what a great TV this was so I don’t know want to over spend on a UHD player if the TV can do what is needed better.
Search the web for a deal on a Sony UBP-X800, very solid player and regular BR's look great on it . I got one half price during BF week.

·
Registered
675 Posts
so, with the TV button set to HDMI3, it still flashes and goes to the OTA tuner momentarily before going to HDMI3? is this on start-up or even if the TV is on, and you were already using another source (HDMI2, for eg)?

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
Thanks so much for the fast response! . I’ve an Onkyo HTIB from 2010, wich since then, I use with my windows pc to obtain DTS-HD and DOLBY True-HD.
This time I need to output to my non 4K Onkyo receiver Dts-HD and True-HD, from the tv itself/without the pc. It is possible trough ARC?

Thanks so much again
Answer: I do not know of any cable, satellite or broadcast signals that are Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD. Those large and uncompressed (lossless) codecs are only available via a Bluray disc & player and usually handled by your AVR. It sounds like with the LG that you can get advanced codecs with an application but only for the native speakers. My guess is that any other format that you send via ARC will be like everything else - - DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) - which is capable of Dolby Atmos but there is not much content available outside of more expensive streaming sites (PPV - Pay Per View) and Netflix. Again - if you're using ARC to your AVR, I'm not sure how this works. I know with a One Box X/S - the application is loaded on the Xbox and then the HDMI out to your AVR is Dolby Atmos (not via ARC).

And separate question for all...if you can buy the B7P for $200 bucks cheaper than the X900E, you’ll do it?

Answer: Boy, that's a personal preference question. Assuming they are the same size set - - it's up to you what you like the most. Either way - make sure you get a solid return policy. Then, if there are problems, you can switch from one to the other. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Neoshinta

·
Registered
69 Posts
Answer: I do not know of any cable, satellite or broadcast signals that are Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD. Those large and uncompressed (lossless) codecs are only available via a Bluray disc & player and usually handled by your AVR. It sounds like with the LG that you can get advanced codecs with an application but only for the native speakers. My guess is that any other format that you send via ARC will be like everything else - - DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) - which is capable of Dolby Atmos but there is not much content available outside of more expensive streaming sites (PPV - Pay Per View) and Netflix. Again - if you're using ARC to your AVR, I'm not sure how this works. I know with a One Box X/S - the application is loaded on the Xbox and then the HDMI out to your AVR is Dolby Atmos (not via ARC).

Answer: Boy, that's a personal preference question. Assuming they are the same size set - - it's up to you what you like the most. Either way - make sure you get a solid return policy. Then, if there are problems, you can switch from one to the other. Hope this helps.

Very much. Thanks! Btw, with atmos and dts-hd... I mean br remux movies loaded from the usb hard drive to the tv, and if the ARC can handle those sound formats

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Yes...but I'd make sure the store has a good return/exchange policy since panel lottery (to try and get one with minimal vertical banding or tinting issues) seems to be a bigger issue with oled sets than it does lcd.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes...but I'd make sure the store has a good return/exchange policy since panel lottery (to try and get one with minimal vertical banding or tinting issues) seems to be a bigger issue with oled sets than it does lcd.

And with the SONY too, right? I’ve read here of others with oil-like lines on x900 turned off in an angle, or the bleeding and blooming of a bad panel

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
And with the SONY too, right? I’ve read here of others with oil-like lines on x900 turned off in an angle, or the bleeding and blooming of a bad panel
There will be some form of panel lottery with every single model so yes, you should want to have a good return/exchange policy if you decide to go for the 900E. Thankfully this 75" 900E I am borrowing right now has none of those issues that have been mentioned. I am pretty impressed with its uniformity.

13821 - 13840 of 19683 Posts